Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Red VS Blue Outlines

OP AzzieDoth

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I’ve heard some people argue about how Red VS Blue has been made harder to play and brings in more problems with the outlines, so it made me wonder why they don’t just simply add Spartans VS Elites? We do have the options to customise elite and all too and play as them, why not start using them instead of red and blue Spartans? It’s a great way to know who the enemy team is, and I also think it’d be nice to sometimes get to play as a Spartan and sometimes as an elite, just like sometimes you’re red and sometimes you’re blue
The main issue is balancing because elites are larger than typical spartans. I would like to see it done but it would be a disadvantage to the players on the elite's side. I also wanted to focus on your spartan vs elites idea and think about player choice. If you want to play as a Spartan you should be able to play as a spartan the same thing goes for the elite. It shouldn't be forced so red vs blue is the best option which is why I hope the outlines aren't affecting playstyle.
Its rather silly since the majority of players shouldn't care about how difficult it is to tell friend from foe. I find it especially odd since older games did not have this but most newer ones do. Pros made do in CE and 2
The main issue is balancing because elites are larger than typical spartans. I would like to see it done but it would be a disadvantage to the players on the elite's side. I also wanted to focus on your spartan vs elites idea and think about player choice. If you want to play as a Spartan you should be able to play as a spartan the same thing goes for the elite. It shouldn't be forced so red vs blue is the best option which is why I hope the outlines aren't affecting playstyle.
True, I was just wondering what other solutions there could’ve been that didn’t involve outlines, but you are right about it not having to be forced and randomised where you sometimes play as an elite or spartan
Its rather silly since the majority of players shouldn't care about how difficult it is to tell friend from foe. I find it especially odd since older games did not have this but most newer ones do. Pros made do in CE and 2
Right, I see what they’re going for and understand they want more people to enjoy the game, but The outlines do seem sloppy
AzzieDoth wrote:
I’ve heard some people argue about how Red VS Blue has been made harder to play and brings in more problems with the outlines, so it made me wonder why they don’t just simply add Spartans VS Elites? We do have the options to customise elite and all too and play as them, why not start using them instead of red and blue Spartans? It’s a great way to know who the enemy team is, and I also think it’d be nice to sometimes get to play as a Spartan and sometimes as an elite, just like sometimes you’re red and sometimes you’re blue
I have seen the replies and thought about it more, I thought of something better

what if instead there was a toggle option where you can choose what colour your team and enemy team appear as on your screen? This way it’s something you can simply edit as a personal preference and it doesn’t affect anyone else
Should just do it the way Battlefield does it. Friendlies constantly have a name/icon above their head while enemy names only show up when you look directly at them + being a different color.

It'd solve outlines being overbearing causing player customization to be hard to see AND it'd solve the issue with enemy players being too easy to spot.
It's too late now but they are trying to fix a problem that wasn't there. RvB was fine for decades and now it has to go for $$$. Incredible dumb decision.

I'm all for adding color blind options but the outline system does more harm than good.
Should just do it the way Battlefield does it. Friendlies constantly have a name/icon above their head while enemy names only show up when you look directly at them + being a different color.

It'd solve outlines being overbearing causing player customization to be hard to see AND it'd solve the issue with enemy players being too easy to spot.
That sounds perfect honestly
It's too late now but they are trying to fix a problem that wasn't there. RvB was fine for decades and now it has to go for $$$. Incredible dumb decision.

I'm all for adding color blind options but the outline system does more harm than good.
Yeah, good ideas implemented in the wrong way
AzzieDoth wrote:

Yeah, good ideas implemented in the wrong way
It would be interesting too see how big the financial impact would be, if they support both ways, i.e. RvB or Colors+Outlines
I thought this topic was more than debated, but I see that it is somewhat cyclical. Even more so when a certain youtuber decided to make a video on the subject and now everyone repeats his arguments like parrots.

I didn't participate in the preview. Is this not already the case? In the MCC, team members always have their 3-letter tag and an arrow over them, and enemy names only show up when you're looking right at them.

Note that there's been at least one instance where I was able to snipe someone through foliage in Reach thanks to their name being visible even when their body wasn't, but such occurrences, I imagine, are pretty rare.
I consider the entirety of the outline complaints to just be a load of hot air and nitpicky. Overwatch does the same thing and nobody complains that they can't focus or see the enemy, they're literally in bright red outlines, you CANNOT nitpick.

As for Elites, well, keep dreaming. I'd love to play as them but 343 has clearly taken a spartan-centric view on the IP and the classic Halo 2 and 3 mixed race gameplay is probably a thing of the past.
EchoAge98 wrote:
I consider the entirety of the outline complaints to just be a load of hot air and nitpicky.
So every complaint about something you don't care about is full of hot air, got it.
Its thanks to graphics.

In older games colors usually effectively stay as they are. Objections are simply darker/lighter. Newer games have more nuanced shadows, more detailed armor and environments, as well as different materials now behaving with light in different ways as they do in real life. All this adds together into the ability to blend in a lot easier than you could before.
To copy and past what i said in another thread
Quote:
from what i have seen (note i am not color blind so this may be false when it comes to how color blind colors change) the reason why red vs blue is nice is because "Yellow-blue colourblind people see RvB as Red vs Cyan. Green-red colourblind people see RvB as Gold vs Blue. Only people with monochromatic blindness (full colourblindness) can't see RvB at all" so no matter what there was still a difference and for monochromatic folks they could have made a "heightened contrast" mode where it lets them change how dark and light the team colors were.

also the argument that "it lets me show off my spartan" makes no sense because no one is going to look at your coating, they will see outline shoot till dead and move on. no one wants the be the dude that costed his team the game because he was staring at dead bodies all match. they will wait till after or before match lobby where your colors would have been on display anyways..
Another way it could be handled is that spartan armor has glowing lights on them already, they could make use of them along with things like service tags and what not.
Forget outlines, I should be able to make all opposition players the same colour of I want to.

I didn't participate in the preview. Is this not already the case? In the MCC, team members always have their 3-letter tag and an arrow over them, and enemy names only show up when you're looking right at them.

Note that there's been at least one instance where I was able to snipe someone through foliage in Reach thanks to their name being visible even when their body wasn't, but such occurrences, I imagine, are pretty rare.
In Halo Infinite enemies and friendlies have a VERY visible outline. TOO visible. Switching back to friendlies having icons and enemy names showing up when you look at them should be the way to go.
now imagine instead of their name you saw a perfectly drawn outline of their body so you knew where their head was. thats the outline system.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2