Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Regarding Cortana’s Character...

OP Helljvmper

Do you think the character we’ve known as Cortana all this time has had her “reputation” ruined by the new evil splinter? To many it took her heart wrenching death and flipped it, replacing one of their favorites with something totally out of character. Can 343 save her character in future titles?

Personally I hope it is shown in depth how she was so corrupted that this fragment developed a logical desire to do what she has done. I think her reasonings and motivations need to be truly unique and not something we’ve seen before. Her character deserves it
Cortana has a bad reputation rn and in the halo lore most likely everyone wants her gone. Most likely she will die or something close to it or John will save her. Only one way to find out.
Helljvmper wrote:
Do you think the character we’ve known as Cortana all this time has had her “reputation” ruined by the new evil splinter? To many it took her heart wrenching death and flipped it, replacing one of their favorites with something totally out of character. Can 343 save her character in future titles?

Personally I hope it is shown in depth how she was so corrupted that this fragment developed a logical desire to do what she has done. I think her reasonings and motivations need to be truly unique and not something we’ve seen before. Her character deserves it
ANGER RISING!!! That is how I feel when they mention Cortana now. I don't think they can do anything to save this character or this franchise...…… (sobs)
Helljvmper wrote:

ANGER RISING!!! That is how I feel when they mention Cortana now. I don't think they can do anything to save this character or this franchise...…… (sobs)
This franchise is far from unsalvageable, friend. The size and quality of the universe surrounding it is too vast. I have great hope that infinite will prove itself whether or not it can patch things up all by itself
I'm fine with her becoming the villain they just need to give a good explanation on why it happened like you said. They should've done it in H5, they better do it in Infinite.
I'd rather see this whole Reclaimer saga centered seemingly around Chief and Cortana's relationship and its bearing/relevance on ancient Forerunner prophecy and myth wrapped up.

Do I think that Halo 4 and 5 have damaged the character of Cortana as portrayed in the Halo OT? Kind of. Rampancy is a convenient excuse for why she seemed to be almost an entirely different character in Halo 4, as people regularly remind me here on the forums whenever I remark on her change. I think her "death" in Halo 4 would've been a lot more meaningful and impactful if it seemed like she was the same character from CE-3 rather than a hyperemotional facsimile of her who suddenly seems to be romantically in love with Master Chief.

Halo 5 doesn't really improve matters, as it's implied that her "programming" has continued to warp/degrade to the point where she resembles neither the Cortana from Halo CE-3 nor the one from H4 as a character.

So, given how maligned and inconsistent her character has been written, I think the best thing to do with Infinite is to have her portrayed as this confused and tortured blend of the previous versions of herself. That will at least reconcile the differences and explain them, somewhat. Having Chief go up against this eclectic and confused Cortana will be interesting, and having a final confrontation where only one of them can walk away will feel like a meaningful and consequential culmination of both trilogies--at least as meaningful and consequential as it can be given the choices they've made with Halo 4 and 5.
I’m not happy with Cortana being a villain even if she doesn’t realize it herself. I think the story has gotten a little stretched and needs to be tightened back up.
For me her story ended at 4.
I'd rather see something new than making her a villain.
I have mixed feelings about Cortana, on the one hand, she's been with us through everything, but on the other, she's not a good villain. The best way I could see Cortana be used in Infinite is that she has some kind or redemption story, and then dies... again... 343i has really written themselves into a corner on this one to be honest.
Id be ok with it if it turned out she died in halo 4 and the didact was using a hologram of her or something to get to chief
Or MC just wakes up from a terrible dream at the end of Infinite and is still floating around the endlessly through space from the end of H3 and turns over to look at Cortana and she’s turn rampant. That would be a better a story than what we have right now and allow 343 to reboot their version of the events after H3. This isn’t meant to be serious at all but after thinking about it.... I don’t dislike it lol.
I'd rather see this whole Reclaimer saga centered seemingly around Chief and Cortana's relationship and its bearing/relevance on ancient Forerunner prophecy and myth wrapped up.

Do I think that Halo 4 and 5 have damaged the character of Cortana as portrayed in the Halo OT? Kind of. Rampancy is a convenient excuse for why she seemed to be almost an entirely different character in Halo 4, as people regularly remind me here on the forums whenever I remark on her change. I think her "death" in Halo 4 would've been a lot more meaningful and impactful if it seemed like she was the same character from CE-3 rather than a hyperemotional facsimile of her who suddenly seems to be romantically in love with Master Chief.

Halo 5 doesn't really improve matters, as it's implied that her "programming" has continued to warp/degrade to the point where she resembles neither the Cortana from Halo CE-3 nor the one from H4 as a character.

So, given how maligned and inconsistent her character has been written, I think the best thing to do with Infinite is to have her portrayed as this confused and tortured blend of the previous versions of herself. That will at least reconcile the differences and explain them, somewhat. Having Chief go up against this eclectic and confused Cortana will be interesting, and having a final confrontation where only one of them can walk away will feel like a meaningful and consequential culmination of both trilogies--at least as meaningful and consequential as it can be given the choices they've made with Halo 4 and 5.
"Romantically in love"?
Sure seemed that way to me. Not played up to the extent it could've been, of course. But throughout Halo 4 she repeatedly seems to demonstrate a different sort of affection for John than she had in the prior games. If not outright romantic treatment, certainly more tender/contemplative and less the sarcastic but loyal friend she seemed to be in CE-3.

The moment it really went over the line for me was when she and John are "saying goodbye" in the Composer Nexus thing. I literally audibly groaned the first time I played Halo 4 and she said "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that," when she touched his chest. I'm not going to be obstinate beyond reason; this doesn't have to be read in a romantic way. It certainly seemed like the least obscure way to understand it to me, though.

I just never thought of John and Cortana as being romantically connected. In the original games, there is a very consistently familiar, friendly and even at times mock-flirtatious rapport between them, as though they know each other extremely well and are very comfortable together. I just always took that closeness to be more of a cop partnership than a romantic relationship. I don't think John would really know what to do in a romantic relationship, even if he deliberately eschewed his militant duty to participate in one (I can't see him choosing to do that, either). As for Cortana, it's established in the Fall of Reach that she thinks John is handsome/attractive, but I don't recall that aspect being explored any further in the gap between that and Halo 4.

It just threw me for a loop how much more of a romantic tone I picked up between her and John in Halo 4. It felt abrupt and quite different than their relationship as I'd understood it up until that point, and it was one of the factors that lessened my immersion in that campaign.