Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Removable Helmets

OP xBALLER 4 LYFEx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Anyone else remember that in ODST you could choose whether you had a helmet on or not? Yeah, who wants that to return?
Well, I think the reason they had that was because there was already a rendered head under the helmet. Seeing as I think the only characters you could remove the helmets from was Buck, Romeo, Dutch, and Mickey. Rookie was our silent protagonist who was faceless because I guess self projection? (not really sure on the reason, best guess) and Veronica never wore a helmet in the campaign but I think you could equip hers in the Firefight?

Edit: So to have removable helmets means they would need to render heads/faces under the helmet. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, the only one we wouldn't be able to see is Chief of course. But personal Spartans, Blue Team, Red Team, Osiris, etc can have their helmets removed if 343i decides to go that route.
Really against it for player characters. It would personally ruin my immersion. I like having my Spartan, not my character as lame as that might sound. I would be totally fine with it for other established characters though
Just for SWAT.
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
I feel like it's a waste if time working on a facial editor in the game when they could be making other cool badass helmets.

Give me different ways to express myself with the combination of armour pecies.

...I mean I'd rather that than some uncanny valley ish going on hahaha.

Just my opinion tho
Well it depends on the customization is. I mean it kind of breaks character to have your helmet off and still have a H.U.D.

Also Face is very important, especially if a firefight voice is in it. In Planetside 2 there was only 6 faces (3 generic male faces of Caucasian, Asian, and African, and 3 females faces of the same races). This was looked as a pretty lame sense of customization that it was not worth the $5 to remove your helmet. Everyone would rather buy a different looking helmet instead.

I think Helmets and the configurations of the different helmet is enough to express yourself. I mean basically my decision is there enough customization to do a machinima? If so then we are good to go and anything else is just extra icing on the cake.
I'm against the idea almost entirely. Buck might be really fun to play as sans helmet, but aside from that I can't see anything about it that'd enhance the game.

I continue to be of the opinion that really unmasking Master Chief is a bad idea that can't help but be anticlimactic to the vast majority of players. It was bad enough for me that they even partially attempted this in the Halo 4 legendary ending. The fact is, whatever an individual player imagines Chief's face to be underneath that helmet is almost invariably going to be cooler than any one out of the Infinite number of ways 343i could choose to model it. It's an unnecessary risk that doesn't have a great promise of reward even in the event that it is generally favorably received. So, considering that we've been told the campaign is squarely a Chief-centric jaunt, I'm firmly against a removable helmet option in that.

As far as MP and modes where players occupy the roles of their own self-designed Spartans? For me, it's still a no. Until I see one, I've stopped believing in a truly excellent in-game facial modeler. I think, like whatever you might imagine Master Chief looks like under his helmet is probably better than what he actually would be designed to look like, your own imagining of your Spartan's face is going to be better and cooler than what you could design in a lousy tacked-on facial editor. I can't imagine 343 putting more work into that than Bungie did with Destiny- and the one in Destiny isn't a particularly stellar facial editor at least for human faces.
Ok, let me clarify. Removable helmets in game modes like firefight or some custom games. And it wouldn't be off at all times maybe at the beginning cut scene. And we would be able to create what their faces look like.
I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan. And I can do that to pretty much EVERY single entry, '99 Halo included. To have a rendered customizable face underneath actually makes it harder to really see yourself, even if said face is customizable.
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.

The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.
Well the thing about VISR is that the system could be turned on even if you customized your ODST to have their helmet off. But ODST had very restrictive customization, a character, your color, your ID tag and helmet on or off (unless you were Rookie which was always on or preorderd Johnson which was always off).
I think it would be cool, I love to be able to customize my characters in games, Elite Dangerous had a great amount of freedom (imo) for facial customization in game, (I was even able to get my character to look similar to how I really look, I just added some bits and pieces to make me seem more badass ingame, however, I digress. I think it would be cool to be able to have a custom face as for me that would allow me to project myself into my Spartan armor even more. I'd especially like to see this if Spartan Ops (think Halo 4) were to come back in some way shape or form, I had a lot of fun with that as it was a way we could go through a story using our own Spartan's, or as I see it, ourselves.

But if adding facial customization were to detract from my armor customization, I would happily choose to not have facial customization as having many ways to customize my armor is something I love! Especially if I can grind out a specified goal to attain said armor, that makes the game even more fun and satisfying for myself.
Trusssson wrote:
I feel like it's a waste if time working on a facial editor in the game when they could be making other cool badass helmets.

Give me different ways to express myself with the combination of armour pecies.

...I mean I'd rather that than some uncanny valley ish going on hahaha.

Just my opinion tho
343 hired freelancers to make as many armours as possible for Halo 5... Most of the armour sets were rushed and of course, you have some sets that make you think it was only implemented to stop you getting the cool sets in the req packs. They were horrible.

In other words. 343 is not spending time on the armour sets. They're paying contractors to make them.

However what you could always just implement a face scan system which turns a selfie into a texture to put over a generic head. It's not that difficult. Rainbow Six Vegas is a pretty old game and had that feature(Despite it had some issues with those massive hairlines XD)

(Although there should be a feature to report explicit scans for obvious reasons)

And really it shouldn't affect the gameplay that much. Especially when that feature wouldn't use that much/if any ram.
I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan. And I can do that to pretty much EVERY single entry, '99 Halo included. To have a rendered customizable face underneath actually makes it harder to really see yourself, even if said face is customizable.
"I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan." Wouldn't revealing your face, immerse yourself with the spartan even more?

As you said, rookie, for example, is an ODST without a face and personality. This was to allow the person to project themselves into the role of the rookie, without being deterred by their appearance or personality not aligning with theirs.

The solution is a simple fix.
"I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan." Wouldn't revealing your face, immerse yourself with the spartan even more?
I feel seeing your own face actually in game (well a similar looking face anyways) would shoot the immersion way up, imho
I feel seeing your own face actually in game (well a similar looking face anyways) would shoot the immersion way up, imho
I don't know if you're using immersion in the wrong context.

Do you mean it makes it more immersive or less immersive?
I don't know if you're using immersion in the wrong context.

Do you mean it makes it more immersive or less immersive?
Yeah I meant it would make it more immersive aha

As you said, rookie, for example, is an ODST without a face and personality. This was to allow the person to project themselves into the role of the rookie, without being deterred by their appearance or personality not aligning with theirs.

The solution is a simple fix.
Then, how about trying to recreate yourself in Destiny, for example? Actually, tell me 1 FPS game which has full-fledged face customization (of which the face is mostly covered in a helmet) where you can perfectly recreate your face.
Mmmmm I think I'd rather not have that feature but if they did that I wouldn't care that much.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2