Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Removable Helmets

OP xBALLER 4 LYFEx

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.
The reason I mentioned VISR is because OP asked about removal of helmets like in Halo 3: ODST. I assumed he didn’t mean cutscenes because he could’ve mentioned Halo 5 or other games, so I surmised that OP had misinterpreted the VISR system for taking your helmet off. Either way OP was wrong in mentioning taking off helmets “like in Halo 3: ODST” because that’s incorrect.
I think that would be really cool, but wouldn’t it be kinda weird if you couldn’t do that in the Campaign but could in MP?
No I don’t remember, but that is only because my copy of ODST didn’t work but I would love to see removable helmets in infinite
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.
The reason I mentioned VISR is because OP asked about removal of helmets like in Halo 3: ODST. I assumed he didn’t mean cutscenes because he could’ve mentioned Halo 5 or other games, so I surmised that OP had misinterpreted the VISR system for taking your helmet off. Either way OP was wrong in mentioning taking off helmets “like in Halo 3: ODST” because that’s incorrect.
You're really confusing me. I mean in Halo 3 ODST when you went to play firefight and you had the option to remove your character's helmet and play without it.
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.
The reason I mentioned VISR is because OP asked about removal of helmets like in Halo 3: ODST. I assumed he didn’t mean cutscenes because he could’ve mentioned Halo 5 or other games, so I surmised that OP had misinterpreted the VISR system for taking your helmet off. Either way OP was wrong in mentioning taking off helmets “like in Halo 3: ODST” because that’s incorrect.
You're really confusing me. I mean in Halo 3 ODST when you went to play firefight and you had the option to remove your character's helmet and play without it.
Then I guess we really are talking about different things. I completely forgot you can do that in ODST's firefight.

In which case no, I don't think Spartans should remove their helmets (except for IV's maybe, but still yet) because the symbolism is that they are nothing more than a machine. And that's not necessarily bad for them either; that's all they know and that's all they've grown up being. An asset. That's the major problem I had whenever they made Master Chief more human in Halo 4. But then again, it is just a firefight mode.
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.
The reason I mentioned VISR is because OP asked about removal of helmets like in Halo 3: ODST. I assumed he didn’t mean cutscenes because he could’ve mentioned Halo 5 or other games, so I surmised that OP had misinterpreted the VISR system for taking your helmet off. Either way OP was wrong in mentioning taking off helmets “like in Halo 3: ODST” because that’s incorrect.
You're really confusing me. I mean in Halo 3 ODST when you went to play firefight and you had the option to remove your character's helmet and play without it.
Then I guess we really are talking about different things. I completely forgot you can do that in ODST's firefight.

In which case no, I don't think Spartans should remove their helmets (except for IV's maybe, but still yet) because the symbolism is that they are nothing more than a machine. And that's not necessarily bad for them either; that's all they know and that's all they've grown up being. An asset. That's the major problem I had whenever they made Master Chief more human in Halo 4. But then again, it is just a firefight mode.
Spartan-IIs don't display too much personality, but they're still far from machines, even Chief despite him being literally design to be a vessel for the player. MP Spartans don't display any personality at all because they're defined by your vision, both in appearance and attitude. Chief, as himself, would never murder all the Marines and Spartans aboard the Infinity in Shutdown. He can only do it because he is not himself during gameplay, where we take control over him and do as we please. (not that gameplay is canon either way).
Now, a video game, of course, could care less about us breaking the lore in such degree, but we, as the players, know what the character's like and we know perfectly well Chief wouldn't do such massacre just to try and find a Marine that looks like Johnson.

Our Spartans, though, don't even have any preset personality. They don't talk because the person behind the armor simply doesn't exist. That non-existent entity is us, just there waiting for any sort of input from us. So we could freely murder everyone in the Infinity and it wouldn't be crazy.
That doesn't mean that the MP Spartan is a robot.... or it can be. Perhaps it's a Mandalorian warrior who sough exile within the UNSC. Maybe it's a human who served in the Imperium of Man but cannot return to his Galaxy. Heck, maybe it's a conscious zombie.
I think you’re referring to the VISR system? You mean VISR (system that outlines objects) and not the characters taking off their helmets in cutscenes? If that’s what you mean then I’ll explain. The VISR system didn’t involve taking your helmet off, it involved on the activation of a system within your helmet. So you never took your helmet off in gameplay, you just switched something on/off in it.

I don’t think the VISR system should return in gameplay. It was specific to ODST’s since they were lowly augmented compared to Spartans, whereas Spartans have virtual night vision. The VISR system was also specifically designed to Halo 3:ODST, since the game was mostly dark and was designed for that aesthetic.
The VISR system has nothing to do with the OP, it's talking about removing the helmet in.. Firefight? I don't know all of the details.
The reason I mentioned VISR is because OP asked about removal of helmets like in Halo 3: ODST. I assumed he didn’t mean cutscenes because he could’ve mentioned Halo 5 or other games, so I surmised that OP had misinterpreted the VISR system for taking your helmet off. Either way OP was wrong in mentioning taking off helmets “like in Halo 3: ODST” because that’s incorrect.
You're really confusing me. I mean in Halo 3 ODST when you went to play firefight and you had the option to remove your character's helmet and play without it.
Then I guess we really are talking about different things. I completely forgot you can do that in ODST's firefight.

In which case no, I don't think Spartans should remove their helmets (except for IV's maybe, but still yet) because the symbolism is that they are nothing more than a machine. And that's not necessarily bad for them either; that's all they know and that's all they've grown up being. An asset. That's the major problem I had whenever they made Master Chief more human in Halo 4. But then again, it is just a firefight mode.
Spartan-IIs don't display too much personality, but they're still far from machines, even Chief despite him being literally design to be a vessel for the player. MP Spartans don't display any personality at all because they're defined by your vision, both in appearance and attitude. Chief, as himself, would never murder all the Marines and Spartans aboard the Infinity in Shutdown. He can only do it because he is not himself during gameplay, where we take control over him and do as we please. (not that gameplay is canon either way).
Now, a video game, of course, could care less about us breaking the lore in such degree, but we, as the players, know what the character's like and we know perfectly well Chief wouldn't do such massacre just to try and find a Marine that looks like Johnson.

Our Spartans, though, don't even have any preset personality. They don't talk because the person behind the armor simply doesn't exist. That non-existent entity is us, just there waiting for any sort of input from us. So we could freely murder everyone in the Infinity and it wouldn't be crazy.
That doesn't mean that the MP Spartan is a robot.... or it can be. Perhaps it's a Mandalorian warrior who sough exile within the UNSC. Maybe it's a human who served in the Imperium of Man but cannot return to his Galaxy. Heck, maybe it's a conscious zombie.
Damn, this is a bit of food for thought, I like the conscious zombie idea lol
Trusssson wrote:
I feel like it's a waste if time working on a facial editor in the game when they could be making other cool badass helmets.

Give me different ways to express myself with the combination of armour pecies.

...I mean I'd rather that than some uncanny valley ish going on hahaha.

Just my opinion tho
343 hired freelancers to make as many armours as possible for Halo 5... Most of the armour sets were rushed and of course, you have some sets that make you think it was only implemented to stop you getting the cool sets in the req packs. They were horrible.

In other words. 343 is not spending time on the armour sets. They're paying contractors to make them.

However what you could always just implement a face scan system which turns a selfie into a texture to put over a generic head. It's not that difficult. Rainbow Six Vegas is a pretty old game and had that feature(Despite it had some issues with those massive hairlines
How do you know what 343i is doing rn? Yeah for Halo 5 they may have hired contractors how do you know they are not doing it themselves this time around? So far all we have had nearly 0 news about this game. Please forgive me if you can provide a source that confirms that the armour is indeed being oursoruced. But to my knowledge no one from 343i has confirmed this.

But that's not even the point, so what if it is outsoruced? What if it's a different studio? Do we know what studio? Have we seen past work from the studio to compare? How do we know they will make the same bad badly designed helmets?

Simply put is, we don't know. In fact we all know very little about this game so far.

Look all I want is to have the ability to make my Spartan look and feel a little unique. Halo 5 admittedly had a major issue with this. I think Reach nailed it; thus proving that it possible to have your Spartan feel unique to you. (In my opinion anyway) also it's been a lot a time since then. Imgine what they could do now with the armour peices if more time and care was spent doing them... Regardless of what studio makes them

Maybe the solutions is...... whoever makes the armour should just... make them better so our community doesn't think we need a facial editor.

Again, just my opinions.
I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan. And I can do that to pretty much EVERY single entry, '99 Halo included. To have a rendered customizable face underneath actually makes it harder to really see yourself, even if said face is customizable.
"I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan." Wouldn't revealing your face, immerse yourself with the spartan even more?

As you said, rookie, for example, is an ODST without a face and personality. This was to allow the person to project themselves into the role of the rookie, without being deterred by their appearance or personality not aligning with theirs.

The solution is a simple fix.
Then, how about trying to recreate yourself in Destiny, for example? Actually, tell me 1 FPS game which has full-fledged face customization (of which the face is mostly covered in a helmet) where you can perfectly recreate your face.
I hope you're joking because I literally just named a game that had one.
Anyone else remember that in ODST you could choose whether you had a helmet on or not? Yeah, who wants that to return?
I’m gonna pass on this one. I like having the “mystery” aspect of your Spartan.
I disagree. The point of not showing us our face or even ANY part of the body is so you can project yourself into that Spartan. And I can do that to pretty much EVERY single entry, '99 Halo included. To have a rendered customizable face underneath actually makes it harder to really see yourself, even if said face is customizable.
Then, how about trying to recreate yourself in Destiny, for example? Actually, tell me 1 FPS game which has full-fledged face customization (of which the face is mostly covered in a helmet) where you can perfectly recreate your face.
I hope you're joking because I literally just named a game that had one.
... Where? i don't see it in your previous comment.
MysticKami wrote:
Just for SWAT.
i LOVE it
If you're playing as Chief, the helmet needs to stay on. As a follow-up, the game should only have you play as Chief on the human side.
Yes but only for certain game types. It has to make sense. Maybe customize your face or something.
Anyone else remember that in ODST you could choose whether you had a helmet on or not? Yeah, who wants that to return?
I prefer play with a "faceless" spartan
MysticKami wrote:
Just for SWAT.
i LOVE it
KayMrt wrote:
If you're playing as Chief, the helmet needs to stay on. As a follow-up, the game should only have you play as Chief on the human side.
Apparently, no one read what I said later - "Ok, let me clarify. Removable helmets in game modes like firefight or some custom games. And it wouldn't be off at all times maybe at the beginning cut scene. And we would be able to create what their faces look like".
MysticKami wrote:
Just for SWAT.
i LOVE it
KayMrt wrote:
If you're playing as Chief, the helmet needs to stay on. As a follow-up, the game should only have you play as Chief on the human side.
Apparently, no one read what I said later - "Ok, let me clarify. Removable helmets in game modes like firefight or some custom games. And it wouldn't be off at all times maybe at the beginning cut scene. And we would be able to create what their faces look like".
I maintain what I said even with your clarification.
Dice when making SW Battlefront removed the feature to take off storm trooper helmets because it wasn't making much sense. Storm troopers never take off their helmets because they follow a rule of intimidation. Your not supposed to see them as human.

It's similar to spartans. In Halo Legends we see a female spartan throw off her helmet and shock a team of ODST with her humanity. That was something that made her familiar.

The whole purpose of helmetless combat is to show vulnerability. You're exposing probably your most important visible body part to your enemy, and with most humans we aren't very scary looking (at least in my eyes). Once they see this, you're no longer a faceless monster.

I think if they have an ODST mode this would be perfect, otherwise it might be a little difficult to get it right with Spartans.
KayMrt wrote:
MysticKami wrote:
Just for SWAT.
i LOVE it
KayMrt wrote:
If you're playing as Chief, the helmet needs to stay on. As a follow-up, the game should only have you play as Chief on the human side.
Apparently, no one read what I said later - "Ok, let me clarify. Removable helmets in game modes like firefight or some custom games. And it wouldn't be off at all times maybe at the beginning cut scene. And we would be able to create what their faces look like".
I maintain what I said even with your clarification.
What does Master Chief have to do with firefight?
There's nothing more awkward than seeing Stormtroopers running around in Battlefront without their helmets. Let's not bring that same awkwardness to Halo. Let Spartans be Spartans.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2