Remove Hitmarkers

OP Slickini

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I think Halo doesn't need hitmarkers. Gameplay was totally fine before they were added. Hitmarkers also remove the element of surprise and tactical gameplay, and reveal too much, changing the player's style in my opinion.
Hit markers let you know you hit something. That's about it. I fail to see how they remove the element of surprise. Like, you don't WANT to know if you actually hit that guy in front of you?

Tactically, they make your combat better because if you are seeing a hit marker, you know you're aiming right and therefore can correct when you stop seeing it. Thus wasting less ammo.

How does it reveal too much?
Hit markers let you know you hit something. That's about it. I fail to see how they remove the element of surprise. Like, you don't WANT to know if you actually hit that guy in front of you?

Tactically, they make your combat better because if you are seeing a hit marker, you know you're aiming right and therefore can correct when you stop seeing it. Thus wasting less ammo.

Have you played the original trilogy? You never needed hitmarkers, you had enough feedback for decent play like the armor's shield draining down. Nobody asked for hitmarkers and it wasn't necessary to add that functionality in the franchise. It reveals too much because for competitive play for example, it removes the suspense and you become optimistic then push to your enemy because you know you hit him, therefore making the game's pace faster and less tactical. It changes the way player moves around the map.

There are already shield flares and bloodshots to tell you if your hit something. Hitmarkers on most weapons are redundant at best, the biggest problem comes from splash damage weapons and grenades giving you access to info your shouldn't otherwise have. Getting lucky damage from randomly thrown grenades is one thing, getting vital map info from it is another thing entirely.

I find it just muddies the visuals and the audio hitmarkers do even worse things to the sound design. They don't offer anything new and give up free information, there is no reason to keep them.
this reminds me of the subject of sprinting, if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!!, however, in this topic you should add a small option to activate and deactivate the hitmarker
this reminds me of the subject of sprinting, if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!!, however, in this topic you should add a small option to activate and deactivate the hitmarker
That's absolutely missing the mark on the Sprint topic as the game and gameplay was drastically altered to support it, it's not a valid comparison. This topic, however, is completely different. I don't see that it made the game worse, just an added QOL feature that I believe is well implemented. And yes, I've been playing Halo since CE.
The fact that you're saying "just don't sprint" is pretty ridiculous and completely undermines real issue that have arose in the sandbox and gameplay due to sprint. Hitmarkers are not nearly as damaging to the game as sprint is but just saying don't sprint or turn off hitmakers if you don't like them is not a solution
Agreed, but wouldn't be fair for those who disable it
agreed. I dont get why the op is attacking people saying "have you played the original trilogy?" people prefer to know 100% if they hit and some people prefer that. i honestly dont care
As some of you have already stated, shield flaring and blood splatter was already in the original trilogy and the only reason they existed was to communicate to the player whether they were hitting their target. While I agree that having hit markers on explosives might be a bit much, I don't see any reason why having a tiny visual indicator on your cross hair for when your bullet connects is in any way detrimental or gameplay altering.

While one can have legitimate discussions about the design implication of sprinting, ADS, and other major elements, hit markers are really purely a convenient QOL addition, especially for people with visual impairments like color blindness who find it easier to see distinct HUD elements over environmental elements like shield flaring. Complaining about hit markers makes you sound like you just want to find something to complain about.
That's absolutely missing the mark on the Sprint topic as the game and gameplay was drastically altered to support it, it's not a valid comparison. This topic, however, is completely different. I don't see that it made the game worse, just an added QOL feature that I believe is well implemented. And yes, I've been playing Halo since CE.
Aaah yes, that's right. Halo CE did have a a sort of hitmarker, a noise. Yes ok, the feature is well implemented, but I don't see its need in Halo. Halo 2, 3 and Reach were perfect, and the absense of the hitmarker set the games apart from other generic first person shooters. Like I said armor shields are more than enough to give feedback to the players. I would say keeping a hitmarker feedback when killing a player could be helpful to keep the gamer's eye in the middle of the screen rather than reading a text on the corner.
As some of you have already stated, shield flaring and blood splatter was already in the original trilogy and the only reason they existed was to communicate to the player whether they were hitting their target. While I agree that having hit markers on explosives might be a bit much, I don't see any reason why having a tiny visual indicator on your cross hair for when your bullet connects is in any way detrimental or gameplay altering.

While one can have legitimate discussions about the design implication of sprinting, ADS, and other major elements, hit markers are really purely a convenient QOL addition, especially for people with visual impairments like color blindness who find it easier to see distinct HUD elements over environmental elements like shield flaring. Complaining about hit markers makes you sound like you just want to find something to complain about.
No not really, I barely post in the forums. I just find hitmarkers useless in Halo and I just wanted to share about my thoughts. Color blindness is a good point of yours. Maybe having a hitmarker confirming the kill could help.
agreed. I dont get why the op is attacking people saying "have you played the original trilogy?" people prefer to know 100% if they hit and some people prefer that. i honestly dont care
Sorry if you thought I attacked the guy with my question. That was not what I meant to do
Slickini wrote:
Aaah yes, that's right. Halo CE did have a a sort of hitmarker, a noise. Yes ok, the feature is well implemented, but I don't see its need in Halo. Halo 2, 3 and Reach were perfect, and the absense of the hitmarker set the games apart from other generic first person shooters. Like I said armor shields are more than enough to give feedback to the players. I would say keeping a hitmarker feedback when killing a player could be helpful to keep the gamer's eye in the middle of the screen rather than reading a text on the corner.
That's fine, but like I said, I don't see them as detrimental, and I do think they were well implemented in H5, they definitely feel like a quality of life upgrade to me, and if done well, I hope we see them in future games moving forward.
Slickini wrote:

Have you played the original trilogy? You never needed hitmarkers, you had enough feedback for decent play like the armor's shield draining down. Nobody asked for hitmarkers and it wasn't necessary to add that functionality in the franchise. It reveals too much because for competitive play for example, it removes the suspense and you become optimistic then push to your enemy because you know you hit him, therefore making the game's pace faster and less tactical. It changes the way player moves around the map.
Yes, I DID play the original trilogy. Every. Single. Game. And it was honestly a guessing game wondering if I hit the enemy half the time in Halo 3. BR's were garbage when it came to long distance, which is fine because they are mid range weapons and not LONG range weapons, but maps on Halo 3 are far too big to be relying on a BR alone. Half of them you need a DMR, which we don't have in that game.

If you don't want to use hit detection, don't pay attention to it and use your own judgment.
WerepyreND wrote:

There are already shield flares and bloodshots to tell you if your hit something. Hitmarkers on most weapons are redundant at best, the biggest problem comes from splash damage weapons and grenades giving you access to info your shouldn't otherwise have. Getting lucky damage from randomly thrown grenades is one thing, getting vital map info from it is another thing entirely.

I find it just muddies the visuals and the audio hitmarkers do even worse things to the sound design. They don't offer anything new and give up free information, there is no reason to keep them.
Shield flares in the newer installations are not always visible to those who land shots. And if hit markers are redundant, then so are shield flares when being hit. After all, they perform the same function according to you, yes?

However, hit markers do one thing shield flaring does not: it tells you when you've hit a hidden target if they got caught in the blast radius of any explosive. This is important information you as the player need to know. Because if you didn't know that player was there, they likely would have gotten the drop on you the moment you looked away from their hiding spot.

How does it muddle the visuals? It's literally a tiny mark on the center of your screen, most players aren't looking there until they need to aim. And the sound is not really covering anything up.
I would like it if they kept hit markers for guns but not nades. If they come back it would be nice if it was an option.
I like hit markers, like previous post have said "it lets you know you hit something." I'm still unaware as to how it could lessen the element of surprise.
Just remove hit markers from grenades and explosions.

Bouncing a grenade around a corner and getting a hit marker let's you know someone is there. It removes the strategy of being sneaky against your opponents. If they can just grenade spam to check around corners, that's a bit silly in my opinion.
"if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!"
well the maps and weapons are designed around sprinting just not doing it doesn't fix the problem that it's there

ALSO, this post is not about sprinting it's about hit marks toggling them sounds good for PvE but it should be permanently off for PvP. Being able to check an entire room with a grenade in Halo is just disgusting. So far I've seen no good defense for hitmarks besides needing more info in a gunfight. It's unneeded and if you do need hitmarks i think that says more about your skill than it does about its presence in the game.

Hitmarks improve upon nothing in the game and do not innovate. 343, stop conforming to generic games. Halo was popular because it was unique not because it appealed to everyone because if you try to appeal to everyone you appeal to no one.
Overall i think hitmarkers for guns are a small issue so i dont mind them tho i will say halo 5s hitmarkers are super obnoxious visually. If they return they should be like the h2a ones. But i wouldnt care if they were gone.
Granade hitmarkers on the other hand give the player too much of an advantage knowing if they got a granade hit or not so imo those are the ones that really need to be removed.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5