OP Slickini

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
I think it should depend on what your doing. Let's say you shoot someone then yes it should work but throwing grenades randomly probably shouldn't just let players know your there unless there killed/assisted.
Remove them from grenades and explosives. I don't see how having a hit marker on a rifle removes the tactical feel of the game or anything of the like.
Remove them from grenades and explosives. I don't see how having a hit marker on a rifle removes the tactical feel of the game or anything of the like.
Yeah I should have mentioned more precisely about nades diminishing the tactical plays
WerepyreND wrote:
Hit markers let you know you hit something. That's about it. I fail to see how they remove the element of surprise. Like, you don't WANT to know if you actually hit that guy in front of you?

Tactically, they make your combat better because if you are seeing a hit marker, you know you're aiming right and therefore can correct when you stop seeing it. Thus wasting less ammo.

How does it reveal too much?
There are already shield flares and bloodshots to tell you if your hit something. Hitmarkers on most weapons are redundant at best, the biggest problem comes from splash damage weapons and grenades giving you access to info your shouldn't otherwise have. Getting lucky damage from randomly thrown grenades is one thing, getting vital map info from it is another thing entirely.

I find it just muddies the visuals and the audio hitmarkers do even worse things to the sound design. They don't offer anything new and give up free information, there is no reason to keep them.
Shield flares in the newer installations are not always visible to those who land shots. And if hit markers are redundant, then so are shield flares when being hit. After all, they perform the same function according to you, yes?

However, hit markers do one thing shield flaring does not: it tells you when you've hit a hidden target if they got caught in the blast radius of any explosive. This is important information you as the player need to know. Because if you didn't know that player was there, they likely would have gotten the drop on you the moment you looked away from their hiding spot.

How does it muddle the visuals? It's literally a tiny mark on the center of your screen, most players aren't looking there until they need to aim. And the sound is not really covering anything up.
1.)Shield flares are not redundant by its nature of being the original, but more importantly unlike hitmarkers they differentiate between players taking shield and health damage. It is a simple and effective way to convey hit information without cluttering the UI.

2.) You don't deserve to know whether you've hit a target that is out of line of sight. A death is the only exception as that unlucky player would be unable to do anything about it anyway.

3.) Because having two different types of visuals trying to convey same information is always going to muddle the visuals. Its like mixing bold and italics, using either one is going to get the job done, but both just looks ugly. And since we already had a perfectly functional system that didn't give away any more information then was necessary, shield flares and bloodshots should be all you need. And Halo 5's constant chirps and pops are even worse for the audio obscuring otherwise solid bits of sound design.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Hit markers let you know you hit something. That's about it. I fail to see how they remove the element of surprise. Like, you don't WANT to know if you actually hit that guy in front of you?

Tactically, they make your combat better because if you are seeing a hit marker, you know you're aiming right and therefore can correct when you stop seeing it. Thus wasting less ammo.

I don’t mind it but with grenades it should be taken off hate being crouched hid and someone just randomly throws a grenade and it completely gives away my spot.

they don't make your combat better, they just hold your hand.

In old Halo games, you had to be confident with your shots, not just spam grenades or pistol fire enough to where you get hit markers telling you that you're hitting, rather than just relying on you own intuition and confidence that you're hitting them.

Halo never even needed hit markers because you can see the player's shield glow brighter and brighter with each shot, so do they really need to be redundant and include hit markers too?

Point being, if you need hit markers to know if you're hitting the person or not, you're probably not that good at shooting. Also, hit markers on a grenade is ridiculous. Grenades should be used as damaging equipment, not magical sensors that tell you exactly where an enemy is.
I couldn't agree more
i would like to see hitmarkers gone as well. i even don't like them in other shooters, which don't have shields.
also don't include grenade warnings (the little indicator showing where the grenade is lying). i think h5 doesn't have them, but h4 did and i just want to mention again that i don't like these. i kind of always prefered to use my ears to determin where grenades land.
Slickini wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
However, hit markers do one thing shield flaring does not: it tells you when you've hit a hidden target if they got caught in the blast radius of any explosive. This is important information you as the player need to know. Because if you didn't know that player was there, they likely would have gotten the drop on you the moment you looked away from their hiding spot.
So, you're ok with grenades basically being lowkey wallhacks if you place them right? Before, if you didn't know if a person was there your grenade would either flush them out and reveal them (either physically or on your motion detector) or they would eat the hit and remain hidden but heavily injured and susceptible to a counterattack.

"Because if you didn't know that player was there, they likely would have gotten the drop on you the moment you looked away from their hiding spot."

Didact forbid that someone effectively uses a corner and a victim's lack of awareness to get the drop on em.
I think simply being able to toggle them on/off is the best choice
Honestly not a topic I'd even considered being so controversial.

I wouldn't say I'm too much of a fan of hitmarkers (especially with AoE weapons), but likewise can understand that they have an important place for some accessibility concerns.

Also... from a 'realism' perspective: Mjolnir costs a lot. Your HUD is probably smart enough to know if your rounds are hitting something. Again... blindfire/explosives perhaps that goes too far but the argument can be made that Mjolnir has microphones so can use audio feedback to draw the conclusion.

End of the day as long as it's a level playing field then it's up to you if you want to not use a tool you've been given
I personally enjoy hitmarkers or hit sounds indicating that I'm making contact with the enemy. Just a preference and I'm aware people are entitled to their opinion.
I think it should be if you see your target and hit them with anything, you should get the hit marker noise indicating that you hit your target as your getting information threw your HUD.

If you can't see your target, you shouldn't get any sort of hit markers at all. Even if you throw grenades or have splash damage from a weapon as your HUD couldn't confirm it as you couldn't see your target.

Hopefully people know what I'm trying to say and I explain that decently.

That's how I'd have it 🙃
I've always found hitmarkes annoying for some odd reason. Just a really pointless mechanic in all games tbh, I'd rather know I missed him rather than knowing i hit him but he still gets to walk away
Too many people to reply to, not enough characters allowed in a response.

Look, I get some of you don't like the whole 'hit markers' thing, but it's honestly not as bad as you're making it out to be. Could it be done better? Sure. But a lot of this complaining is starting to sound more like mindless bantering about something that isn't what 'older Halo games did'.

Don't get me wrong: I loved the older Halos, really. I play them all the time in MCC with a friend of mine. We can't stick like gorilla glue to what 'was' though. Sometimes things just change and you won't always like the changes. You're allowed to be upset about them; this is the forums, you're allowed to explain why you personally don't like what was done. And I'm sorry you don't like what was changed.

But I personally have nothing against the hit markers. They are literally the smallest portion of my screen that only pops up when I hit something. Me liking them has nothing to do with my aim. I'm an average shot. As a sniper, I will hit roughly between 52% and 58% of my targets. I am not a sniper though. I prefer swords and shotguns as I have always been a close range player. I'm literally the person you will see dancing with Hunters trying to melee them in the back (I usually win).

So if you don't like hit markers? Then I'm sorry that you found something not to your taste. But remember; there will always be that one thing you don't like.

Have a great night everyone!
I like having hit-markers, if there is an enemy I can't see very well, id like to know that I'm at least hitting the target. if someone doesn't like hit-markers, there should be an option in personal setting to turn them off.
EchoLoco2 wrote:
this reminds me of the subject of sprinting, if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!!, however, in this topic you should add a small option to activate and deactivate the hitmarker
"if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!"
well the maps and weapons are designed around sprinting just not doing it doesn't fix the problem that it's there

ALSO, this post is not about sprinting it's about hit marks toggling them sounds good for PvE but it should be permanently off for PvP. Being able to check an entire room with a grenade in Halo is just disgusting. So far I've seen no good defense for hitmarks besides needing more info in a gunfight. It's unneeded and if you do need hitmarks i think that says more about your skill than it does about its presence in the game.

Hitmarks improve upon nothing in the game and do not innovate. 343, stop conforming to generic games. Halo was popular because it was unique not because it appealed to everyone because if you try to appeal to everyone you appeal to no one.
I mean, you don't need a shield indicator, ammo counter, we didn't need passenger health bars either. Yet we have/had all these things, your only argument is that we don't need it and that's poor at best. They improve the game significantly in my experience and opinion, oh, and you are not as skilled as I am in the game, so you do not get to lecture me about how you feel it speaks to my skill level, because it does not. It does, however, speak to your lack of integrity on the subject, you don't like it, therefore everyone who does is a skill less noob. Get out of here with that garbage logic.
EchoLoco2 wrote:
this reminds me of the subject of sprinting, if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!!, however, in this topic you should add a small option to activate and deactivate the hitmarker
well the maps and weapons are designed around sprinting just not doing it doesn't fix the problem that it's there

ALSO, this post is not about sprinting it's about hit marks toggling them sounds good for PvE but it should be permanently off for PvP. Being able to check an entire room with a grenade in Halo is just disgusting. So far I've seen no good defense for hitmarks besides needing more info in a gunfight. It's unneeded and if you do need hitmarks i think that says more about your skill than it does about its presence in the game.

Hitmarks improve upon nothing in the game and do not innovate. 343, stop conforming to generic games. Halo was popular because it was unique not because it appealed to everyone because if you try to appeal to everyone you appeal to no one.
I mean, you don't need a shield indicator, ammo counter, we didn't need passenger health bars either. Yet we have/had all these things, your only argument is that we don't need it and that's poor at best. They improve the game significantly in my experience and opinion, oh, and you are not as skilled as I am in the game, so you do not get to lecture me about how you feel it speaks to my skill level, because it does not. It does, however, speak to your lack of integrity on the subject, you don't like it, therefore everyone who does is a skill less noob. Get out of here with that garbage logic.
Um, How can they lecture you if they were not quoting you? Putting that aside, can you elaborate on how it "improves" the game in any concrete way? Shield flares and bloodshots already tell you if you've hit your target and gives you more information than a simple hitmarker as it differentiates between shields and health. While normal hitmarkers are not the worst problem facing newer Halo games by any means, explosive hitmarkers have a clear downside as they reward mindless grenade throwing with free map information.

From where I'm sitting it absolutely does lower the skill gap overall, how much is subject to debate, but hitmarkers are far from a simple "quality of life" improvement.

I also find even normal hitmarkers to be visual noise that muddies the whole experience in Halo. As I've posted before, using two different methods to convey the exact same information can make things a mess. Like mixing italics and bold.
I'm not a big fan of them. I get the point, but they miss the mark for me.
WerepyreND wrote:
EchoLoco2 wrote:

Um, How can they lecture you if they were not quoting you? Putting that aside, can you elaborate on how it "improves" the game in any concrete way? Shield flares and bloodshots already tell you if you've hit your target and gives you more information than a simple hitmarker as it differentiates between shields and health. While normal hitmarkers are not the worst problem facing newer Halo games by any means, explosive hitmarkers have a clear downside as they reward mindless grenade throwing with free map information.

From where I'm sitting it absolutely does lower the skill gap overall, how much is subject to debate, but hitmarkers are far from a simple "quality of life" improvement.

I also find even normal hitmarkers to be visual noise that muddies the whole experience in Halo. As I've posted before, using two different methods to convey the exact same information can make things a mess. Like mixing italics and bold.
I would have responded to that guy but I couldn't have put it better myself. I can tell you know what you're talking about when it comes to game design.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5