Remove Hitmarkers

OP Slickini

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5
Personally I have nothing against hit markers per se, not even in Halo, but 343i did a really bad job with them imho. Luckily the high pitched noises from the beta era of the game were drastically reduced, but the sound is still annoying as hell. The effect itself is way too flashy as well and like pretty much everyone here said, hitmarkers on splash-damage are overkill to say the least.

I say keep them as an option - especially for people with sight problems where additional HUD infoinfos actually have a right to exist - but get rid of the audio cue and limit them to projectiles. Problem solved.
Edit: wrong thread
WerepyreND wrote:
There are already shield flares and bloodshots to tell you if your hit something. Hitmarkers on most weapons are redundant at best, the biggest problem comes from splash damage weapons and grenades giving you access to info your shouldn't otherwise have. Getting lucky damage from randomly thrown grenades is one thing, getting vital map info from it is another thing entirely.

I find it just muddies the visuals and the audio hitmarkers do even worse things to the sound design. They don't offer anything new and give up free information, there is no reason to keep them.
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but Halo 5 doesn't have bloodshots due to the lower ESBR rating. The hitmarkers serve as a decent supplement, but I agree that Halo is better off without them. Fingers crossed that Infinite brings the rating back up to M.
I dont see the need for them at all, they're not necessary. As others have said, it's not info you should have, though I suppose I mean this in the context of explosive, splash damage weapons. They give away your position when it shouldn't be be given away. Just recently I was playing and crouching behind a corner waiting for this guy coming up, he pops a made off and my play has been made redundant. It takes away from the game, decreases the need for awareness and playing tacticly because all you need to do is throw precautionary nades to see if you're gonna be alright if you go where you're choosing to go. I don't think it's fair and I don't think it fits into any game.
Slickini wrote:
As some of you have already stated, shield flaring and blood splatter was already in the original trilogy and the only reason they existed was to communicate to the player whether they were hitting their target. While I agree that having hit markers on explosives might be a bit much, I don't see any reason why having a tiny visual indicator on your cross hair for when your bullet connects is in any way detrimental or gameplay altering.

While one can have legitimate discussions about the design implication of sprinting, ADS, and other major elements, hit markers are really purely a convenient QOL addition, especially for people with visual impairments like color blindness who find it easier to see distinct HUD elements over environmental elements like shield flaring. Complaining about hit markers makes you sound like you just want to find something to complain about.
No not really, I barely post in the forums. I just find hitmarkers useless in Halo and I just wanted to share about my thoughts. Color blindness is a good point of yours. Maybe having a hitmarker confirming the kill could help.
Correct me if I'm wrong, hitmarkers are there because of the ratings system, hitmarkers instead of blood?
Slickini wrote:
As some of you have already stated, shield flaring and blood splatter was already in the original trilogy and the only reason they existed was to communicate to the player whether they were hitting their target. While I agree that having hit markers on explosives might be a bit much, I don't see any reason why having a tiny visual indicator on your cross hair for when your bullet connects is in any way detrimental or gameplay altering.

While one can have legitimate discussions about the design implication of sprinting, ADS, and other major elements, hit markers are really purely a convenient QOL addition, especially for people with visual impairments like color blindness who find it easier to see distinct HUD elements over environmental elements like shield flaring. Complaining about hit markers makes you sound like you just want to find something to complain about.
No not really, I barely post in the forums. I just find hitmarkers useless in Halo and I just wanted to share about my thoughts. Color blindness is a good point of yours. Maybe having a hitmarker confirming the kill could help.
Correct me if I'm wrong, hitmarkers are there because of the ratings system, hitmarkers instead of blood?
No, if you pay close enough their is some blood
Slickini wrote:

OK. I stand corrected. I remember reading an article some time back about changes made to halo to get a more kid friendly rating, and thought hit markers might have been a technique used.
Slickini wrote:

OK. I stand corrected. I remember reading an article some time back about changes made to halo to get a more kid friendly rating, and thought hit markers might have been a technique used.
But shields are still in the game. But I say keep hitmarkers when shields are down.
WerepyreND wrote:
Spencer410 wrote:
this reminds me of the subject of sprinting, if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!!, however, in this topic you should add a small option to activate and deactivate the hitmarker
^what they said. I personally like hit markers. They give a slight return of satisfaction when I do make tough shots that perhaps doesn’t kill, but weakens enemies. At long range it’s harder to tell if you hit them or not.
That's what I think. Hitmarker is an important feedback of your action. Let's take an example of a capture the flag match. When there's a concentration of players fighting for flag capture/return in Fathom. You are outside that room and you eventually throw a grenade insidei the window of that room. You know there are targets there, but you cannot see them because the flag room is in a higher level. Throwing an explosive and getting a feedback on your crosshair is vital for your next movement. If there are no hitmarkers in the game whatsoever you don't know if the grenade you just used had an effect or not, unless you get a kill.
I think saying that the hitmarkers does not belong in Halo because Call of Duty did it first, is ignoring the tactical possibilities that information provides for the better.
Throwing a grenade in a room and getting free information is exactly what is wrong with hitmarkers in Halo. You don't deserve to get that free information from just throwing grenades at random. Even though you might know targets are in the general area, at best its still a guess. That is not a "tactical" decision, it is just crossing your fingers and hoping you get rewarded for it.
I don't think it is trowing at random since you know where the enemies are, you just don't know their precise location. It's not everytime you hit the grenade exatcly where your target is, if so most of the grenade throws we do are "random". I mean, you made the move to throw an explosive because you know what you are doing so how can you not get any feedback of this? Even then you don't have any hitmarkers in the game at all you would still throw the grenade, the difference is now you receive a feedback and it encourages the use of explosives not just to perfectly spotted enemies. Maybe you get a kill from a lucky shot but that is the reward for doing a move in the right time at the right place. This is vastly different than you are in a Breakout match, and you do not know where the enemy is, so you throw randomly just to check the corners, this is throwing at random.
I don’t think Hitmarkers hinder gameplay whatsoever, if anything it makes it better. That’s just my opinion.
WerepyreND wrote:
Spencer410 wrote:
this reminds me of the subject of sprinting, if you do not like to sprint just do not do it!!, however, in this topic you should add a small option to activate and deactivate the hitmarker
^what they said. I personally like hit markers. They give a slight return of satisfaction when I do make tough shots that perhaps doesn’t kill, but weakens enemies. At long range it’s harder to tell if you hit them or not.
That's what I think. Hitmarker is an important feedback of your action. Let's take an example of a capture the flag match. When there's a concentration of players fighting for flag capture/return in Fathom. You are outside that room and you eventually throw a grenade insidei the window of that room. You know there are targets there, but you cannot see them because the flag room is in a higher level. Throwing an explosive and getting a feedback on your crosshair is vital for your next movement. If there are no hitmarkers in the game whatsoever you don't know if the grenade you just used had an effect or not, unless you get a kill.
I think saying that the hitmarkers does not belong in Halo because Call of Duty did it first, is ignoring the tactical possibilities that information provides for the better.
Throwing a grenade in a room and getting free information is exactly what is wrong with hitmarkers in Halo. You don't deserve to get that free information from just throwing grenades at random. Even though you might know targets are in the general area, at best its still a guess. That is not a "tactical" decision, it is just crossing your fingers and hoping you get rewarded for it.
I don't think it is trowing at random since you know where the enemies are, you just don't know their precise location. It's not everytime you hit the grenade exatcly where your target is, if so most of the grenade throws we do are "random". I mean, you made the move to throw an explosive because you know what you are doing so how can you not get any feedback of this? Even then you don't have any hitmarkers in the game at all you would still throw the grenade, the difference is now you receive a feedback and it encourages the use of explosives not just to perfectly spotted enemies. Maybe you get a kill from a lucky shot but that is the reward for doing a move in the right time at the right place. This is vastly different than you are in a Breakout match, and you do not know where the enemy is, so you throw randomly just to check the corners, this is throwing at random.
There is a difference between knowing that you have an enemy cornered in a specific place and "well there seems to be enemies up there somewhere." Regardless of how you think you use grenades with hitmarkers, the simple fact of the matter is that knowing whether your grenade landed outside of line of sight is a huge amount of free information that can and does get abused.

People very specifically don't always "know what they are doing" with grenades. Trying to guess where the enemy is or predict their movement is a valid "tactic" but at the end of the day you are still taking it on faith and don't deserve free information from a lucky guess if you can't see it happen. Lucky random kills are a fact of life in a shooter, we still don't need to give them any more of a reward beyond that.
Well with a hi-tech helmet/armor system it makes sense. I was hoping to get more out it honestly. Like night vision or thermal sensors. Just a thought.

GoGoGadgetHero
River of Styx
Agreed, I hope they're not in Infinite. They just make the game feel too cartoon-y for me (at least in 5 they did, or added to that feeling). As many others have said you already get enough feedback when you hit something: seeing the shield flare, blood spurt, etc. I don't see the need to make it even more obvious.
I was playing MCC on the Halo 3 engine and I found kills without hitmarkers much more satisfying, so yes, I don't want hitmarkers in Halo Infinite.
I was playing MCC on the Halo 3 engine and I found kills without hitmarkers much more satisfying, so yes, I don't want hitmarkers in Halo Infinite.
^^^
Well with a hi-tech helmet/armor system it makes sense. I was hoping to get more out it honestly. Like night vision or thermal sensors. Just a thought.

GoGoGadgetHeroRiver of Styx
Please don't make it a habit of adding your company link or similar things to your posts. If/When you reach spartan rank you'll have a signature that you can do stuff like that with.

GoGoGadgetHeroRiver of Styx
Please don't make it a habit of adding your company link or similar things to your posts. If/When you reach spartan rank you'll have a signature that you can do stuff like that with.
No problem. 👍
WerepyreND wrote:
Spencer410 wrote:
As someone who abuses hit markers this way I'll say its random. I throw nades in random rooms just to see if I get a bite across all game modes, and its completely unfair. Hitmarkers need to be removed from all explosive weapons.
I don't want hitmarkers - should be an easy toggle option in the settings menu.
Hitmarkers were only really needed in Halo 5 because the Spartans were replaced by robots who can't bleed, so you'd have no other means of seeing whether you've injured an opponent or not. Hopefully they bleed again in Infinite.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5