Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

"road to recon"

OP Ravens Bite

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Remember the days of unlocking the Recon armor set in Halo 3? How there were specific achievements you had to complete that spanned through multiple Halo games? They were called Vidmaster achievements. Would you like to see something similar happen in Halo Infinite where we would have to complete certain achievements in MCC and Halo 5 to unlock a really rare exclusive armor set? I would absolutely love to see something like this return. It would certainly be a way to possibly get new/old players to return to classic Halo games.
No, honestly I'd rather have my eyes washed out with bleach. The Vidmaster Achievements cheapened the achievements of those few community members that earned it originally.
Yes the Vidmasters should return....I'd rather see armours be unlocked by meaningful challenges instead of mindless grinds to unlock armours....what ShortySL said makes no sense. Vidmasters encouraged fans to work together and lead to many fans being encouraged to do fun things while Halo 5 turned everything into a grind, killed any need to get friends together to do 'fun things', if everything becomes a 'grind' again then things are going to get boring fast.
ronnie42 wrote:
Yes the Vidmasters should return....I'd rather see armours be unlocked by meaningful challenges instead of mindless grinds to unlock armours....what ShortySL said makes no sense. Vidmasters encouraged fans to work together and lead to many fans being encouraged to do fun things while Halo 5 turned everything into a grind, killed any need to get friends together to do 'fun things', if everything becomes a 'grind' again then things are going to get boring fast.
You do realise that Recon armour had NOTHING to do with Achievements initially right? The Vidmasters became a big "screw you" to the special few that did something truly awesome to receive Recon.
ShortySL wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
You do realise that Recon armour had NOTHING to do with Achievements initially right? The Vidmasters became a big "screw you" to the special few that did something truly awesome to receive Recon.
Yeah, something awesome like *checks notes* getting hit with a traffic cone....

I'm all for community appreciation, but lets not pretend getting Recon was this high honor reserved only for community members who went above and beyond. For my part I don't really care for armor as a status symbol at all and that includes other achievment based armors aside from Recon. People should be customizing based on how they actually want to look not to wave around eStatus.

As far as Road to Recon itself goes it the thing that worked about that is that they were all fairly well, achievable. Many of them were just dead easy to get and even the more difficult ones were co-op to make things a bit more reasonable. Because of this completing them could be a fun activity rather than work. The Annual Vidmaster challenge is one of my fondest Halo memories of getting together with total strangers from MM to complete it and having a total blast. That is the problem I have with most modern progression systems in games is that they are just a series of busywork tasks designed to keep you "grinding" the game rather than having fun.
ShortySL wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I hope not many of those special few were so materalistic and vain as to feel that the rarity of the piece of virtual armor was all the value the recognition given to them had. I hope they valued the acknowledgement more than the concrete virtual prize, and were able to feel happy for the rest of the community for getting their hands on something these lucky few already had. I also hope they went to accomplish greater things in life than obtaning a rare item in a video game.
ShortySL wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
You do realise that Recon armour had NOTHING to do with Achievements initially right? The Vidmasters became a big "" to the special few that did something truly awesome to receive Recon.
If you're referring to the 'Bungie lottery' then no that should never have been restricted like that since all it does is force people to deal with luck based system where they 'hope' they find a match, get irritated if they didn't find someone working at Bungie to win against. I don't really care if it was going to be done that way since I hated it being that way and the Vidmasters was a way to get people to actually work together instead of leading to toxic match's where people might get mad if they didn't beat Bungie. So yes Vidmasters was the best way to go........what's worse is when dev's just give armours away for doing absolutely nothing like what happened with the classic Halo armour in H5 or how they gave everyone Recon for free for doing nothing.
ShortySL wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Wait, didn't they get a flaming version of the helmet though or do I remember it wrong? The one that initially was only for Bungie devs basically.

Regardless, it's not about the helmet at all: vidmasters were fun things to do and did bring the community more together, that's the point. So of course those are miles better than the RNG gambling "yoink" that H5, GoW4, various Forza's and so on had! I hope MS stops introducing them already, because I won't buy anything with such an annoying grind system ever again. Not even Halo Infinite.

Therefore I still hope we get a mix of credits and skill based unlocks, where generic cosmetic stuff is bound by a Reach like credit system (limited by levels and without going overboard with the grind obviously) and some of the more legendary stuff you can only get by achieving certain objectives. Best examples getting brutally hard to obtain medals, finishing the campaign on legendary solo or even finishing a mission with all skulls active and such. And why not? A yearly vidmaster too! :)
I wouldn't mind them returning, but whatever achievements they include I hope none require other players. Those are the worst in my opinion.
If they do come back I would have to agree with JB Linken and say that they should be unlockable for people who just wanna play solo. Really though I would like it if the armor was unlocked just like it was on Reach and then a really cool helmet like a tattered Mark 5 helmet once you hit max rank.
If they do bring back something similar it would have to be done different, I was one of the few first people who completed all the vidmaster achievements and unlocked recon and it wasn't a pleasant experience doing coop missions on Halo 3 ODST and having to redo missions because the connection was bad or the connection would fail making me have to redo it all again. Deja vu was the worst from memory.

Sucks how I lost the account I unlocked recon on however, guess it doesn't matter now.
ShortySL wrote:
No, honestly I'd rather have my eyes washed out with bleach. The Vidmaster Achievements cheapened the achievements of those few community members that earned it originally.
That's silly. It was almost non-existent among players before the vidmasters and still remained highly coveted after.
I doubt those scarcely few community members minded.

JB Linken wrote:
I wouldn't mind them returning, but whatever achievements they include I hope none require other players. Those are the worst in my opinion.
I enjoyed the vidmasters as they encouraged me to really play cooperatively with friends and some of the achievements like 'Endure' were considerably challenging. Earning the armor after was very satisfying and felt deserved. It was cool to have one armor unlocked that way. Leave the credit system for the rest.
I would not like that. I'm okay with getting rewards but nothing exclusively attached to previous games.
i would like to see that again. but like some already mentioned, it cheapened the armor a bit for those who got it previously.
but why can't there be both? i would like to see an armor for vidmaster challenges and one that you can only get by doing something awesome, like recon originaly.
JB Linken wrote:
I enjoyed the vidmasters as they encouraged me to really play cooperatively with friends and some of the achievements like 'Endure' were considerably challenging. Earning the armor after was very satisfying and felt deserved. It was cool to have one armor unlocked that way. Leave the credit system for the rest.
They're a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, tackling a challenge with your friends can be incredibly fun and memorable in a way a solo challenge could never be. On the other hand, if your friends aren't into Halo, and you don't want to socialize with strangers, it can leave you feeling left out.
tsassi wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
They're a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, tackling a challenge with your friends can be incredibly fun and memorable in a way a solo challenge could never be. On the other hand, if your friends aren't into Halo, and you don't want to socialize with strangers, it can leave you feeling left out.
Exactly. I am fortunate to have found people on the Bungie.net forums to group up with. And it was a big time commitment too if I'm recalling correctly.

But I'm sure for every story like mine there are at least 10 where people were unable to get the achievements solely because they couldn't find anyone to help.
Challenge accepted . I'm all for this idea.
Recon has always been my favourite armour piece since Halo 3. You were extremely lucky to have it given to you by Bungie until the vidmaster challenge was introduced. Even then, it was still very tough to get. I never did manage to get it.

Nowadays, Recon isn't nowhere near as unique as it once was. How did such an infamous armour piece become reduced to common rarity in Halo 5?

I think adding some sort of challenge system like road to recon would be a good idea or at least make Recon harder to obtain.
Complete the Campaign on LASO difficulty and you should get something even if it is something simple like a Halo Waypoint Badge.
im down to see something similar return
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2