Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] RPG ELEMENTS ALMOST CONFIRMED

OP Palumpalumpa

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes leaked content, real or fake.
This is something I always wanted to see in Halo, but at the same time it really concerns me because of the structure the Halo campaings always had in the past: a closed story with no margin for alternatives. I think the answer for the RPG elements to the story is a try 343 is making to fix the Halo 5 story, but it can hurt the Halo lore even further or end it forever. For the story with multiple endings to be "successful" Halo Infinite needs to be the last chapter of the Reclaimer saga. 343 can't carry multiple stories to the next game after Infinite or it will be a mess to deal with. I'm not sure how they will do it, but for now, I'm concerned of how the multiple branches for the story can provide a satisfactory ending to the story, specially considering if Halo Infinite is the last chapter of the Halo Reclaimer saga we know and possibly the end of the Master Chief as the main character.

Now the Exploration I think it was time to have decent exploration in Halo. I always loved to walk around the planets and environments in the game, but we were never able to travel through the boundaries of the missions. It will be a joy to travel around with the Warthog and flying vehicles and discover more what the Halo Universe has to offer.
Imagine if we are in a Halo and it is fully explorable. We can look up, see the other side of the Halo in the sky and travel there! AMAZING!
I think Halo with RPG mechanics would enhance the experience. I think it's a great way to play games, run here shoot that rinse and repeat is ok, but if your actions and decisions affect that ? It's more interesting imo. I've often shot marines in the legs when playing Halo CE to get a reaction, I think it would be good if said marines reported you and there were consequences. Halo is a story driven series, giving us more immersion makes sense imo.
eviltedi wrote:
I think Halo with RPG mechanics would enhance the experience. I think it's a great way to play games, run here shoot that rinse and repeat is ok, but if your actions and decisions affect that ? It's more interesting imo. I've often shot marines in the legs when playing Halo CE to get a reaction, I think it would be good if said marines reported you and there were consequences. Halo is a story driven series, giving us more immersion makes sense imo.
I definitely agree on giving us more immersion, as I said: "if the idea is giving us a broad and explorable world in which we determine our story, I'm in". But that doesn't mean we need to have RPG statistics in the game, don't you think?
Fair and well put together points, OP. I am personally a huge RPG fan and would love to see what a Halo RPG would be like but I understand and share your fears. It could be another case of "this is a good game, but not a good Halo game" by taking away important pillars of what makes Halo, Halo.
If halo infinite does have rpg elements like a destiny or anthem then I will not be buying it.I don't mind RPGs,but it's not something you just randomly throw into a mainline halo game after none of the previous games have had it.
eviltedi wrote:
snip
"Run here shoot that rinse and repeat is ok"
That's a pretty reductive way to describe Halo's core gameplay and the shooter genre as a whole. That "ok" part is kinda the entire reason the franchise exists....

I enjoy RPG's as much as the next guy, but that isn't the reason that I come play Halo games. I sure there could easily be a great RPG set in the Halo universe, I don't see any reason why we have to have those mechanics stapled on to the mainline Halo games.

Even in just a narrative sense a nonlinear story is not inherently better than a linear one, it is simply different. Its a lateral move that doesn't really add much to the precedings.
RPG story elements are fine to me. Talking to different people, different mission outcomes etc. But combat-wise, that's a no-go. In other words, bullet sponge enemies and weapons that function better, simply because of their background color are not appealing.
WerepyreND wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
snip
"Run here shoot that rinse and repeat is ok"
That's a pretty reductive way to describe Halo's core gameplay and the shooter genre as a whole. That "ok" part is kinda the entire reason the franchise exists....

I enjoy RPG's as much as the next guy, but that isn't the reason that I come play Halo games. I sure there could easily be a great RPG set in the Halo universe, I don't see any reason why we have to have those mechanics stapled on to the mainline Halo games.

Even in just a narrative sense a nonlinear story is not inherently better than a linear one, it is simply different. Its a lateral move that doesn't really add much to the precedings.
I know Halo is a run here shoot that game, and I understand players enjoy that. I started playing Halo because of it's story and lore. I think adding RPG elements will improve it. We're all different. I think non linear stories and gameplay are more fun.
I don’t think it should be RPG or open world. I think it should be “open mission”/“open area”. For each mission gives us a couple of objectives that could be done in a nonlinear fashion. The best example I could think of for this is CE’s mission “Halo”. Another example is the Reach level where you’re in a Falcon in New Alexandria at night and if you lose your falcon you have to call for evac (sorry I forgot the name).
I think it’d be cool if Infinite had spontaneous battles between enemy factions. The three-way battles have always been something Halo does well (my personal favorites being Halo CE and Halo 4) and it’d be cool to see more of that in the style of an rpg.
I am seriously concerned with this report from Brad Sams. Normally a rumor like this from some unreliable source I wouldn’t take it seriously. It coming from Sams, who has a highly reliable and credible track record, makes me believe this is true. If there are going to be RPG elements in the game, I am seriously nervous. Halo has always had a definitive and single canon. The Campaigns have always followed the singular, canonical story that is linear and definitive in the story. RPG elements allowing us to actually change the story makes me seriously worried. If the RPG elements are things such as taking to NPCs and maybe upgrading Chief’s armor will be the kind I find not too terrible. However, if we actually have dialogue choices and it can have different outcomes and different endings based on our choices, I will be disappointed and also somewhat frustrated and angry. RPGs are great and I’m not putting them down at all. However, implementing RPG elements into Halo just doesn’t feel right. If they do go about actually doing this, I hope they write a novel that is the true, canonical story.
Halo: Mass Elder Witcher Souls knights of the old Fantasy Vegas Infinite confirmed?? Well as long as I get a stat sheet, can force John into a romance with a grunt or stove, and hunt down giant guardians in the wild. But let’s not forget that iconic gear grind! Going from Recruit(common) to Seeker(SSS) in an amazing story where you think you have diolgue options but then you remember you are playing 117.

Starring great immersion moments like:
Level 15 grunts that instant kill new players.
Common enemies that could not be assassinated anymore because they have a special name like Gek the Armorless Elite.
Who could forget massive raids where you and your team mates fight through hordes of crawlers just to fight a giant vehicle designed for the open air ... in a tiny room! Don’t worry if things go down your supportive team mates would gladly Tbag you.

343i has heard the fans and they understand that running across the map to continue to waste your ammo on bullet sponge enemies is too “boring” and adds to “filler time” so they implemented the Award Winning Shadow of Mordor’s fan favorite mechanic. Noooo not the nemesis system pfft. They added random Ambushes! Where super powerful bosses find you when you are the most weak, vulnerable, or just alone and texting your dog. To proceed to send you back on the respawn screen. Brilliant fan feedback for the fans!

Spoiler:
Show
However, if we actually have dialogue choices and it can have different outcomes and different endings based on our choices, I will be disappointed and also somewhat frustrated and angry. RPGs are great and I’m not putting them down at all. However, implementing RPG elements into Halo just doesn’t feel right. If they do go about actually doing this, I hope they write a novel that is the true, canonical story.
I hate to make this comparison, but Destiny is an RPG shooter with zero dialogue choices. If I had to take a guess of what kind of RPG they are going for Destiny's system of upgrading and looting seems like a safe bet. Hopefully the upgrading and customizing abilities is the only part they take inspiration from, the looting aspect I could do without.
Nalla78 wrote:
Halo: Mass Elder Witcher Souls knights of the old Fantasy Vegas Infinite confirmed?? Well as long as I get a stat sheet, can force John into a romance with a grunt or stove, and hunt down giant guardians in the wild. But let’s not forget that iconic gear grind! Going from Recruit(common) to Seeker(SSS) in an amazing story where you think you have diolgue options but then you remember you are playing 117.

Starring great immersion moments like:
Level 15 grunts that instant kill new players.
Common enemies that could not be assassinated anymore because they have a special name like Gek the Armorless Elite.
Who could forget massive raids where you and your team mates fight through hordes of crawlers just to fight a giant vehicle designed for the open air ... in a tiny room! Don’t worry if things go down your supportive team mates would gladly Tbag you.

343i has heard the fans and they understand that running across the map to continue to waste your ammo on bullet sponge enemies is too “boring” and adds to “filler time” so they implemented the Award Winning Shadow of Mordor’s fan favorite mechanic. Noooo not the nemesis system pfft. They added random Ambushes! Where super powerful bosses find you when you are the most weak, vulnerable, or just alone and texting your dog. To proceed to send you back on the respawn screen. Brilliant fan feedback for the fans!

Spoiler:
Show
I would buy it.
Yeah this kind of concerns me aswell.

I love my RPGs, but I don't really want RPG elements in my Halo game unless it's in like a firefight type mode only and that's it. I guess I can handle that, but I'd rather not even have that.

If the campaign goes more RPG elements, I know my friends won't be playing it as they hate RPG stuff.

I just think having RPG stuff in campaign would be a huge mistake. Most people who play FPS, minus the MP component, just want to shoot things and be immersed in a good story aka Halo, older COD games, Rage, Doom, Bioshock games and so forth. Now, obviously if you think the story is good in those games is up for debate but that's beside the point here.

They don't really want to level up there character, or go find this item, or go here and bring this to so and so or whatever. Yes, there is a market obviously for that type of FPS (Destiny, Anthem etc) and more FP/RPG type games like Elder Scrolls, but does Halo really want to complete against these types of games now??? The market is getting more and more saturated with loot type FPS/RPGs type games like Destiny, so why would you want try and complete against these kinds of games. That makes zero sense to me.

I don't know... obviously all this is just speculation, but still, this kind of bugs me. I can see 343I doing this though actually as they seem to have a rep of "copying" per sey, things that are the current trend or stuff from other games. What they should be doing I think is sticking to what Halo has always done well and make the best dam Halo game of that style.

Now.... all this said, I'm not opposed to Halo going into different game styles, like Spartan Assault, Halo Wars and the new one, Halo Raven? I think it's call, for example at all, actually, I'm all for it!! but just don't mess with the main series. Keep it as is.

If 343I/MS want to do a battle royal mode or a Halo RPG, fine....do it... I'm all for it honestly....but make them a separate game entirely like you did with Halo Wars, which in my opinion, was very well done (both of them)

I guess we'll see what happens...
I'd say if they are doing RPG elements then it will probably be a combination of Doom 2016, Destiny, and Crysis. Probably more Doom 2016/Crysis when I comes to upgrading armor and weapons and Destiny style large open areas with several objective for the missions.
Snockooz wrote:
I'd say if they are doing RPG elements then it will probably be a combination of Doom 2016, Destiny, and Crysis. Probably more Doom 2016/Crysis when I comes to upgrading armor and weapons and Destiny style large open areas with several objective for the missions.
Hopefully that’s the most it is. If there’s actual story choices, I’m gonna be pretty pissed.
I am seriously concerned with this report from Brad Sams. Normally a rumor like this from some unreliable source I wouldn’t take it seriously. It coming from Sams, who has a highly reliable and credible track record, makes me believe this is true. If there are going to be RPG elements in the game, I am seriously nervous. Halo has always had a definitive and single canon. The Campaigns have always followed the singular, canonical story that is linear and definitive in the story. RPG elements allowing us to actually change the story makes me seriously worried. If the RPG elements are things such as taking to NPCs and maybe upgrading Chief’s armor will be the kind I find not too terrible. However, if we actually have dialogue choices and it can have different outcomes and different endings based on our choices, I will be disappointed and also somewhat frustrated and angry. RPGs are great and I’m not putting them down at all. However, implementing RPG elements into Halo just doesn’t feel right. If they do go about actually doing this, I hope they write a novel that is the true, canonical story.
The only way this could work is if Infinite is the definitive chapter of the series. Even tho I fear this multiple choices can ruin the lore forever. Like (EXAMPLE) : Last choice Master Chief has to make: A) to kill Cortana or B) join Cortana. I know it is a bit absurd but anyway it can happen in minor or major degrees.
As a major fan of RPGs, I really hope I don't see anything resembling one when I start playing Infinite at all. I would love for 343 to develop a Halo game with RPG elements in it, but not as a mainline Halo game.I would love to see an RPG-esque Halo game as a spinoff much like ODST or Halo Wars was, something that's obviously not the main thing, but is a really great accessory to the franchise.

When I pick up a mainline Halo game, I expect it to adhere to the same tried-and-true formula as the past games, but obviously with some innovation in certain regions. I'm glad 343 is trying to come up with new ways to innovate the franchise, but I want them to first make a game that fits that formula before adventuring out like this. Halo 4 and 5 are good games, however if you removed the familiar aesthetics of the franchise I don't think you could call them Halo, at least, not a mainline Halo game. I want infinite to be a game that even if it says I'm not playing as the Chief, even if I'm not fighting an alien species called the Covenant, or using weapons that you'd see in the hands of the UNSC, I could still think to myself "hey, this is pretty much a Halo game with a different skin."

Anyways, summing up my probably incoherent ramblings: I want Halo Infinite to play like classic Halo, however I have nothing against diverging from the formula in spinoff games like Halo Wars and ODST.