Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

RPG ELEMENTS CONFIRMED?

OP Palumpalumpa

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Unfortunately according to the timeline of Halo and its Future Halo 6 is a cross-platform system from table games, movies, tv shows, books, VR, and comics. Halo 7 will be the game to revitalize the series and bring world peace for the year 2021. Though since the timeline has changed to some degree though keeping up some similarities going off of Halo 5 and timeline's cell shaded Halo 5 Master Chief & Friends Superstar Adventures in Dreamland Role Playing Game by Microsoft game studio's Nintendo branch. Verifying some truth of the 2008 prophecy "The History and Future of Halo"

All jokes aside, a mainline Halo game with RPG elements is a iffy thing. Its better to be risky with offshoots since the fragmented fanbase from Reach, 4, and 5. Personally rather have a focus on open ended mission structure like Halo CE's Halo mission's last section or Halo ODST's Mombasa Streets. With a return to the classic system and the golden triangle though really its a square for BTB (guns, grenades, melee, and vehicles.).

Though I could see a offshoot Halo game that has an ODST forced to work with some insurrectionists fight the covenant, or a flood horror game as your trying to survive and find out the outbreak was due to ONI or something, or being a civilian trying to survive a covenant invasion (which also could be turned into a horror game). The civilian game could work real well with RPG mechanics as a civilian doesn't have much experience in fighting or surviving. So you could have skill trees in weapon handling, repairing doors, repairing vehicles, driving, flying, ability to understand how to use/handle covenant weapons, and etc. Maybe even have some social interactions to convince scared people to help you or to try trade with other survivors or try to talk your way in joining a group of survivors.
Though the mainline needs to return to form before any offshoots should be done.

maxammo365 wrote:
Frank O'Connor recently tweeted "exploration will be rewarded". How important exploration is in Halo: Infinite is not known and what level of "rewards" is also unknown. I mean, exploring in the past halo's rewards us with skulls and terminals but really not that much else. I feel like HI will have some time of open world elements to it.
ODST rewarded exploration with some ammo, grenades, or an decent weapon and finding terminals unlocked weapon caches. Halo 2 had little secret spots to get swords, carbines, and a fuel rod.
Maybe it's just me, but I assume that the whole "RPG elements" thing just means the game might be broadly open world, and include conversations with NPCs to initiate missions and random encounters in the overworld that grant basic rewards (such as opening the map up a bit more). I doubt 343 would go down the route of upgradable armour - as that would seem to fly in the face of the series' strengths. I think it's really possible though, that Chief could get travelling companions via sidequests, and that more lore will be built into the game through optional conversations or dialogue trees.
I doubt they'd do anything much more RPG-ish than that.
When I heard about the "RPG elements", I immediately thought of DOOM (2016). In that game, you could:
  • collect and swap between two mods for each weapon (each giving a secondary function/firing mode)
  • upgrade weapon mods' effects (making them more powerful and/or allowing more frequent use) by using the individual weapons
  • collect "Praetor tokens" to reduce environmental damage, make the map more useful, reduce grenade recharge time, increase power-up duration, and quicken animations
  • collect "Argent cells" to upgrade health, armor, and ammo capacities
  • participate in gauntlets to unlock "runes" (perks by another name)
I'm weary of the the possibility of these things in Infinite because a lot of them seem at odds with what I consider staples of Halo's gameplay. Upgrading player/weapon stats and ammo capacity would likely work against the balance/challenge of PvE combat and the "churn" of swapping between weapons over the course of a mission or engagement.
So I have read a few updates on Halo on the internet. Please tell me that Halo isn't turning RPG like Destiny did. It has always been a FPS and should always be one.
I will honestly leave Halo and probably have a following of gamers that I play with do the same.
A job listing is not confirmation of anything. Experience in RPG design can mean a variety of things, from the simplicity of collectables and better environmental design to proper RPG elements like skill trees and an open world.

Take this listing with a grain of salt until any official news about game mechanics are released.
So I have read a few updates on Halo on the internet. Please tell me that Halo isn't turning RPG like Destiny did. It has always been a FPS and should always be one.
I will honestly leave Halo and probably have a following of gamers that I play with do the same.
Nothing is confirmed, we have no ideas what these elements will be implemented. It could be super small things like scanning and examining objects and such or it could be more. I think it's going to play very much like the classics games, with some new stuff brought in but not to the extent like 4 & 5.
A job listing is not confirmation of anything. Experience in RPG design can mean a variety of things, from the simplicity of collectables and better environmental design to proper RPG elements like skill trees and an open world.

Take this listing with a grain of salt until any official news about game mechanics are released.
Skill trees? Take care, what you say is heresy!
RPG elements, open-world and exploration is rewarded. To me, there's a crossroad here, one leads to Mass Effect, the other to Destiny. I personally would rather this game go down the Mass Effect road, but if there's a hidden path they plan to take, I would be intrigued and slightly nervous.
I don't know. It really all depends on how the game itself is set up, if it is linear then no. If it is more open/open world than little elements is OK
I'm scared
I don't want to see a level 10 elite, a level 50 grunt, a level 1, 2 or 3 Mjolnir with different health, a BR with +2 range or an AR with +3 rate of fire and stuff like that
Yeah we don't need Halo to turn into Destiny. I shoot something unshielded in the head I expect it to die.
As long as they are light elements and not leveled enemies or Destiny-like stuff the we’re good.
I remember reading something similar several months ago around the summertime with 343 looking for someone like that. Anyway, I'm not worried about that since it could mean a bunch of things.

I think my point went completely over your head.

I think my point went completely over your head.
No, it didn't, I think what you said is absolutly reasonable. I was only trying to say skill trees sound like an herecy to me. My bad.
I don't know. It really all depends on how the game itself is set up, if it is linear then no. If it is more open/open world than little elements is OK
I'm scared
I don't want to see a level 10 elite, a level 50 grunt, a level 1, 2 or 3 Mjolnir with different health, a BR with +2 range or an AR with +3 rate of fire and stuff like that
I wouldn't worry about this happening. There's many styles of RPGs. Dark Souls has fixed levels for all enemies while you enhance your own abilities. We could be seeing that hero enhancements for Master Chief, and that works just fine in Halo campaign. We had similar elements happening in Halo Reach and 4, and it's something I've wanted in a Halo campaign. It's really fun that way.
For PVE, I strongly prefer RPG elements. For PVP, I want standard weapons (like Halo 5). Of course, there can be 'fiesta-type' playlists, but the core PVP experience should be 'Halo'.
This may have been brought up before, but is there anything out there to suggest that this particular job posting has anything to do with Infinite? The game has been in development for a long time, so adding a new system designer this late in development seems a bit far fetched to me. Perhaps this could be a job posting for another Halo game? I mean, Halo Wars 2 came out not long ago and required designers with experience with RTS, so I would assume the team behind that game was not the same team creating Infinite (sorry if that is not the case). So if 343 is making another game that is more RPG-oriented, then it would make sense for them to start building a new team to focus on that game.
This may have been brought up before, but is there anything out there to suggest that this particular job posting has anything to do with Infinite? The game has been in development for a long time, so adding a new system designer this late in development seems a bit far fetched to me. Perhaps this could be a job posting for another Halo game? I mean, Halo Wars 2 came out not long ago and required designers with experience with RTS, so I would assume the team behind that game was not the same team creating Infinite (sorry if that is not the case). So if 343 is making another game that is more RPG-oriented, then it would make sense for them to start building a new team to focus on that game.
The job listing says: "343 is looking for a Senior Systems Designer to work on our next epic, systems-driven Halo Campaign." so I guess it's Infinite. They said many times they're laser focused on Infinite, I don't think they're working on anything alse. And Halo Wars 2 was developed by Creative Assembly by the most part.
Maybe they are gonna make the weapon and vehicle strengths and weaknesses more noticable,
-Like plasma weapons get shield dmg bonus but dmg reduction against health
-kinetic bolts and other hardlight projectiles get a damage bonus against health and armor(vehicles, knight and hunter armor etc.)
-armor(vehicles/hunters/knights) get damage reduction against human ballistic weapons, but get weaker against particle beam weaponry and explosives
Things like that. Kind of what mass effect 3 and borderlands have: fire/corrosive against armor shock against shields etc.
I would like to see something like that. So ppl will use less battle rifles against warden eternal(if we will fight him again) and more beam, kinetic or explosive weapons instead
I agree with what you have to say on the weapons and using a certain weapon on a enemy so that they have a weakness instead of make the enemies bullet sponges. I also think you can stealth your way through missions or go guns blazing.
AHX Sully wrote:
Maybe they are gonna make the weapon and vehicle strengths and weaknesses more noticable,
-kinetic bolts and other hardlight projectiles get a damage bonus against health and armor(vehicles, knight and hunter armor etc.)
-armor(vehicles/hunters/knights) get damage reduction against human ballistic weapons, but get weaker against particle beam weaponry and explosives
Things like that. Kind of what mass effect 3 and borderlands have: fire/corrosive against armor shock against shields etc.
I would like to see something like that. So ppl will use less battle rifles against warden eternal(if we will fight him again) and more beam, kinetic or explosive weapons instead
I agree with what you have to say on the weapons and using a certain weapon on a enemy so that they have a weakness instead of make the enemies bullet sponges. I also think you can stealth your way through missions or go guns blazing.
I want active camo back in campaign so hard man!
AHX Sully wrote:
Yeah maybe the faster you move the hharder to be detected, ways to increase the "stealth" Stat (how rpg games would call it) would be crouching, active camo etc
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3