Secret dialog from Cortana in trailer

OP HaloCrysisKIA88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
I'm not sure who discovered this but its from the official halo site so it's legit anyway its dialogue from Cortana it was very interesting thank you to whoever discovered this!

https://content.halocdn.com/media/Default/home/343/lx0.0082711ly-0.0251671lz0.0000085-99ddb8f420eb4372922fa21859a2b8ca.mp3?fbclid=IwAR1j64_zoB2m9KZSWeUT6mfIX6FmByRbFSeop0n9pt4gXs7Iqn8xILBMTKM
Huh. If I had to speculate, this is probably another Cortana that Halsey created. It would fit with her knowing but being unable to explain why.
The tweet from the author who found this secret: https://twitter.com/xepyal/status/1155837127487369216
Apparently he stretched a QR code that appears in a split of a second in the trailer and it led to this audio.
As it sounds, Cortana finds that her fragments gone rampant and eventually became the evil space dictator from Halo 5. The Cortana who "died" in Halo 4 is still alive and she realizes what happened to her fragments.

C'mon, this is messed up. It destroys the entire purpose of this saga. So Cortana is not dead, the evil Cortana is not real, just a rampant indepentent fragment. All the destruction and death she caused is non consequential now and Chief can easily destroy the evil fragment with no emotional investment at all.
At the end the good Cortana can be restored to her original version and she can attach to Chief with no problem and they lived happily ever after.

Please, the game is not out yet and all of this is just speculation, but if we assume what the hidden audio suggests, everything that happened to the end of Halo 4 and Halo 5 is not what it looks like it is and it is probably one of the worst possible incomes this story can make. If we were expecting redemption from 343 after the bad story of Halo 5 we are might get something worse.
The tweet from the author who found this secret: https://twitter.com/xepyal/status/1155837127487369216Apparently he stretched a QR code that appears in a split of a second in the trailer and it led to this audio.
As it sounds, Cortana finds that her fragments gone rampant and eventually became the evil space dictator from Halo 5. And the Cortana who "died" in Halo 4 is still alive and she realizes what happened to her fragments.

C'mon, this is messed up. It destroys the entire purpose of this saga. So Cortana is not dead, the evil Cortana is not real, just a rampant indepentent fragment. All the destruction and death she caused is non consequential now, and Chief can easily destroy the evil fragment with no emotional investment at all.
At the end the good Cortana can be restored to her original version and she can attach to Chief with no problem and they lived happily ever after.

Please, the game is not out yet and all of this is just speculation, but if we assume what the hidden audio suggests, everything that happened to the end of Halo 4 and Halo 5 is not what it looks like it is and it is probably one of the worst possible incomes this story can make. If we were expecting redemption from 343 after the bad story of Halo 5 we are probably getting something worse.
Who the hell knows what's gonna happen at this point
C'mon, this is messed up. It destroys the entire purpose of this saga. So Cortana is not dead, the evil Cortana is not real, just a rampant indepentent fragment. All the destruction and death she caused is non consequential now and Chief can easily destroy the evil fragment with no emotional investment at all.

Have to disagree.

It reminds me of Star Trek Nemesis with B4, Data...sure there similar but I still care for them in their own ways. I'm concerned that the 'evolved' Cortana has gone too far but there's still hope that she may redeem herself someday while the possible 'new Cortana' is like having a sister that we also care for, well it be interesting to see how she handles it.

I guess at some point the evil/good naming will become a thing of the past, both fragments will probably try help each other. I feel at this point neither are 'not real' but are now separate beings just like how we have 2 separate Rikers on Star Trek, yet there 2 completely different beings due to their personality's and life choices changing who they are.

I seriously doubt the chief will just suddenly have no emotional attachment since for such a long time 'Evolved' Cortana was the only known Cortana, she even once said "They'll pair you with another A.I. Maybe even another Cortana. It won't be me", which is sort of like what Data said in Nemesis so I doubt the Chief will just ignore the history they have between them.
Is there a shortage in the budget for a quality writing department? Or at the very least, a decent one?
Is there a shortage in the budget for a quality writing department? Or at the very least, a decent one?
What was so bad about this
I'm open to the idea. Cortana sounds more like her old self in the secret dialogue than she did in Halo 5. I always thought Guardians Cortana sounds way more like Halsey. I know its all Jen Taylor, but Halsey and Cortana have always sounded different with their personality and general tone. In my opinion, Halo 5 Cortana sounds like Halsey especially with the way she called Blue Team "My Spartans." It's was just the way Halsey said it in the opening of Halo 4. This makes me think Halo 5 Cortana is an amalgamation of her rampant fragments who are more like Halsey than the Cortana from the first 4, in the way that she is willing to do what she deems necessary for the greater good (Like Hasley and the Spartan II's). Its ironic since Halo 5 Cortana hates Halsey so much. Meanwhile, the secret dialogue sounds like the real Cortana. I'm into it, I'm excited to see how it all plays out.
EDIT: all this to say that maybe this was the plan at least since Halo 5 because of the way they had Jen play Cortana in that, and not just put in to make the fans happy. Obviously, it is impossible to make everyone happy. 5 definitely had it's problems but I loved 4 and think 343 can deliver a good story. So I trust.
It makes Halo 4 and 5 irrelevant. Cortana being shoehorned in and being all back to normal is lazy and uncreative.
The tweet from the author who found this secret: https://twitter.com/xepyal/status/1155837127487369216Apparently he stretched a QR code that appears in a split of a second in the trailer and it led to this audio.
As it sounds, Cortana finds that her fragments gone rampant and eventually became the evil space dictator from Halo 5. The Cortana who "died" in Halo 4 is still alive and she realizes what happened to her fragments.

Please, the game is not out yet and all of this is just speculation, but if we assume what the hidden audio suggests, everything that happened to the end of Halo 4 and Halo 5 is not what it looks like it is and it is probably one of the worst possible incomes this story can make. If we were expecting redemption from 343 after the bad story of Halo 5 we are probably getting something worse.
So it's just as I feared. Cortana as we know her did not die at all and the abomination from Halo 5 claiming to be her is just an evil clone.

*sighs*

How far Halo has fallen from the dramatic, engaging and entertaining storyteller it used to be, and I use that phrase lightly. I know Bungie wasn't the greatest ever storyteller themselves, but damn it all if Halo CE through to Reach's ratings don't speak for themselves.

As I see it, this is 343 admitting they yoinked up and are subsequently pressing the reset button. Chief's back to being a blank slate (all of his previous experiences having no effect on his character whatsoever), Cortana is neither dead nor evil, the Covenant will most likely return to being Public Enemy No.1 (exactly as they appeared first in Halo CE no less. No Brutes, no Engineers, no Drones, no Skirmishers. Just the Grunts, Jackals, Elites and Hunters), the events of Halo 4 are well and truly erased and now Halo 5 is being basically handwaved away like it happened but no great acknowledgement is being paid to it other than 343's selective important bits.

I'm definitely not getting the game now, but that's just me. I don't know what it means for the fandom as a whole, other than fans who wanted their nostalgic Halo back being satisfied. Honestly, I don't care much either.
I hate pretty much everything about the idea. 343 Industries has handled this whole thing badly in my opinion. They gave her a good exit in Halo 4. She struggled with rampancy but was able to overcome it to save Chief. It was melancholic, but she did get to experience briefly being real. I know some people cringe at that, but I think she more than earned it. But no, 343 just couldn't leave it at that. They had to monkey around with a perfectly good ending. Is using a forum post here on Waypoint really the kind of writing we want? That's where the idea that the Mantle's Approach, or a part of it, went into slipspace. Halo 4 never showed or indicated that and we are just told that in Halo 5, not even so much a journey through the ship's wreckage. Then they made her a villain (talk about old worn-out cliches) and decided LOOT CRATE was the best place to explore the different reasons why she might be off her rocker.

But hey it's okay because we can get rid of that mean Cortana and just copy+paste a new one. Nevermind that kinda craps on all the struggles the real Cortana went on and validates one of her greatest fears of being replaced. We'll just have the new Cortana be all ready to go to regain the old Halo status quo. Course, after running through all the AI-related obstacles you can with Cortana, don't expect much ambition for her replacement.
On another note, its pretty amazing how this person found it. I believe it was found by the Twitter user xepyal. Thats some ONI level stuff lol

So it's just as I feared. Cortana as we know her did not die at all and the abomination from Halo 5 claiming to be her is just an evil clone.

*sighs*

How far Halo has fallen from the dramatic, engaging and entertaining storyteller it used to be, and I use that phrase lightly. I know Bungie wasn't the greatest ever storyteller themselves, but damn it all if Halo CE through to Reach's ratings don't speak for themselves.

As I see it, this is 343 admitting they yoinked up and are subsequently pressing the reset button. Chief's back to being a blank slate (all of his previous experiences having no effect on his character whatsoever), Cortana is neither dead nor evil, the Covenant will most likely return to being Public Enemy No.1 (exactly as they appeared first in Halo CE no less. No Brutes, no Engineers, no Drones, no Skirmishers. Just the Grunts, Jackals, Elites and Hunters), the events of Halo 4 are well and truly erased and now Halo 5 is being basically handwaved away like it happened but no great acknowledgement is being paid to it other than 343's selective important bits.

I'm definitely not getting the game now, but that's just me. I don't know what it means for the fandom as a whole, other than fans who wanted their nostalgic Halo back being satisfied. Honestly, I don't care much either.
My problem is Halo 4 story was weakened when Halo 5 came out, and it looks like 343 will do the same to Halo 5 when Infinite releases. So why they bother telling this story in the first place? If they are going to retcon game after game and in the end everything will return to its status quo Cortana and Chief back again like nothing happened? Better rename this saga from Reclaimer saga to Retcon saga.
Again, it is just speculation and I truly believe 343 knows how to tell good stories, but this is not looking good.
It makes Halo 4 and 5 irrelevant. Cortana being shoehorned in and being all back to normal is lazy and uncreative.
I guess it is their safe bet. 343, in the eyes of the fans changed too much and now I guess they won't even try to make something meaningful or drastic in a storytelling point of view. It is better for them to keep the nostalgic feeling and playing safe so the fans will not get so upset.

*sighs*

My problem is Halo 4 story was weakened when Halo 5 came out, and it looks like 343 will do the same to Halo 5 when Infinite releases. So why they bother telling this story in the first place? If they are going to retcon game after game and in the end everything will return to its status quo Cortana and Chief back again like nothing happened? Better rename this saga from Reclaimer saga to Retcon saga.
Again, it is just speculation and I truly believe 343 knows how to tell good stories, but this is not looking good.
Halo 4 wasn't just weakened when 5 was released. It was completely wiped off the map. Any hope the original story had of returning has been absolutely quashed with this revelation for Infinite. Now the latter will be the aforementioned "return to the status quo" nobody was asking for!
343i are capable of making good games, but they don't write the stories. Chris Schlerf wrote a really good story for Halo 4, and had he stayed on I believe Halo 5 would have become the masterpiece we were expecting. But he left, and the rest is history.
ronnie42 wrote:

Have to disagree.

It reminds me of Star Trek Nemesis with B4, Data...sure there similar but I still care for them in their own ways. I'm concerned that the 'evolved' Cortana has gone too far but there's still hope that she may redeem herself someday while the possible 'new Cortana' is like having a sister that we also care for, well it be interesting to see how she handles it.

I guess at some point the evil/good naming will become a thing of the past, both fragments will probably try help each other. I feel at this point neither are 'not real' but are know separate beings just like how we have 2 separate Rikers on Star Trek, yet there 2 completely different beings due to their personality's and life choices changing who they are.

I seriously doubt the chief will just suddenly have no emotional attachment since for such a long time 'Evolved' Cortana was the only known Cortana, she even once said "They'll pair you with another A.I. Maybe even another Cortana. It won't be me", which is sort of like what Data said in Nemesis so I doubt the Chief will just ignore the history they have between them.
I don't know much about Star Trek so I can't talk about that, but what makes me not feeling this story is that there are two Cortanas. They are both real, but the evil one is not the original Cortana, which makes her actions in Halo 5 less meaningful and everything even more nonsense than before. I guess the two Cortanas cannot coexist, the evil one can't redeem for what she did and the visions of the two Cortanas are completely opposite. If Chief has the restored Cortana alongside him he won't hesitate to kill her evil fragment, since the copied version is already with him. Again, nothing to lose, no consequences, no real choices, irrelevant story that had an incredible amount of potential.
Cortana sounds more like her old self in the secret dialogue than she did in Halo 5. I always thought Guardians Cortana sounds way more like Halsey. I know its all Jen Taylor, but Halsey and Cortana have always sounded different with their personality and general tone. In my opinion, Halo 5 Cortana sounds like Halsey especially with the way she called Blue Team "My Spartans." It's was just the way Halsey said it in the opening of Halo 4. This makes me think Halo 5 Cortana is an amalgamation of her rampant fragments who are more like Halsey than the Cortana from the first 4, in the way that she is willing to do what she deems necessary for the greater good (Like Hasley and the Spartan II's). Its ironic since Halo 5 Cortana hates Halsey so much. Meanwhile, the secret dialogue sounds like the real Cortana. I'm into it, I'm excited to see how it all plays out.
Likewise, I've always thought it ironic that Cortana is acting more like Halsey than she ever has before. Even John brought it up, and while Cortana tried to deny it, she instead gave a feeble excuse about choice. Justification for the method didn't matter to either of them, only the end result. The Spartans saved Humankind, and Cortana's Guardians will save the Galaxy, regardless of moral implications.
I think everyone here who is jumping on the 'I hate this already' boat needs to sit down and take a chill pill. That dialogue is actually pretty vague if we're going to be completely honest. It tells us nothing other than there is another Cortana.

Could it be another Cortana model?

Could it be the part that we thought died?

Could it be a non-rampant fragment?

Who -Yoink!- knows at this point?

You can't piece together a whole story or how it will be told based on a few seconds of dialogue. The only thing you can do is speculate and compare it to other things you think it might be and make yourself disappointed on something that might not even happen.
ronnie42 wrote:
If Evil!Cortana is actually different from Good!Cortana, there's already no emotional attachment. She'd be seen as an imposter with her memories carrying the actions of Halo 5 where she tried to own Chief and humanity, which he was against and trying to stop.

Having Good!Cortana still be alive and be the "original" survivor means all the emotional attachment would just go to that one. It'd be even easier than there just being one Cortana and Chief having to erase her for the greater good.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8