OP HaloCrysisKIA88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
I think everyone here who is jumping on the 'I hate this already' boat needs to sit down and take a chill pill. That dialogue is actually pretty vague if we're going to be completely honest. It tells us nothing other than there is another Cortana.

Could it be another Cortana model?

Could it be the part that we thought died?

Could it be a non-rampant fragment?

Who -Yoink!- knows at this point?

You can't piece together a whole story or how it will be told based on a few seconds of dialogue. The only thing you can do is speculate and compare it to other things you think it might be and make yourself disappointed on something that might not even happen.
The fact there is another Cortana is the problem. Full stop.
The serial number on that chip being one number higher kind of made us think we could be getting another Cortana. And this audio dialogue pretty much confirms the existence of a new Cortana.

I understand the apprehension to this story approach that some are having. I’m still not sold on the idea. However, to quote Cortana, another Cortana model “won’t be me.” Hopefully there will be a good clear visual distinction between the two, otherwise the new fans 343i’s trying to draw in will be super confused.

Makes me think 343i is having history repeat itself, at least in part with Cortana vs. Evil Cortana like Offensive vs. Mendicant Bias.

Also, this could possibly be the part of the dialogue we’ll hear during that last scene of the E3 trailer. John’s footsteps echoing off the Control room floor as he approaches that blue light and him pulling out the chip. It lines up pretty well I think.
The serial number on that chip being one number higher kind of made us think we could be getting another Cortana. And this audio dialogue pretty much confirms the existence of a new Cortana.

I understand the apprehension to this story approach that some are having. I’m still not sold on the idea. However, to quote Cortana, another Cortana model “won’t be me.” Hopefully there will be a good clear visual distinction between the two, otherwise the new fans 343i’s trying to draw in will be super confused.

Makes me think 343i is having history repeat itself, at least in part with Cortana vs. Evil Cortana like Offensive vs. Mendicant Bias.

Also, this could possibly be the part of the dialogue we’ll hear during that last scene of the E3 trailer. John’s footsteps echoing off the Control room floor as he approaches that blue light and him pulling out the chip. It lines up pretty well I think.
Please, maybe a few years ago I would have thought 343 Industries would have the courage to actually live up to that, but today I have little doubts that they will try to make the new AI as much of a carbon copy of Cortana as possible. Why be ambitious when you can be safe?
I think everyone here who is jumping on the 'I hate this already' boat needs to sit down and take a chill pill. That dialogue is actually pretty vague if we're going to be completely honest. It tells us nothing other than there is another Cortana.

You can't piece together a whole story or how it will be told based on a few seconds of dialogue. The only thing you can do is speculate and compare it to other things you think it might be and make yourself disappointed on something that might not even happen.
Then I'm sorry you feel that way and I'm glad I don't. I would have missed out on a lot of good things if I was deterred by one piece of a story.
ronnie42 wrote:
C'mon, this is messed up. It destroys the entire purpose of this saga. So Cortana is not dead, the evil Cortana is not real, just a rampant indepentent fragment. All the destruction and death she caused is non consequential now and Chief can easily destroy the evil fragment with no emotional investment at all.
At the end the good Cortana can be restored to her original version and she can attach to Chief with no problem and they lived happily ever after.

Have to disagree.

It reminds me of Star Trek Nemesis with B4, Data...sure there similar but I still care for them in their own ways. I'm concerned that the 'evolved' Cortana has gone too far but there's still hope that she may redeem herself someday while the possible 'new Cortana' is like having a sister that we also care for, well it be interesting to see how she handles it.

I guess at some point the evil/good naming will become a thing of the past, both fragments will probably try help each other. I feel at this point neither are 'not real' but are know separate beings just like how we have 2 separate Rikers on Star Trek, yet there 2 completely different beings due to their personality's and life choices changing who they are.

I seriously doubt the chief will just suddenly have no emotional attachment since for such a long time 'Evolved' Cortana was the only known Cortana, she even once said "They'll pair you with another A.I. Maybe even another Cortana. It won't be me", which is sort of like what Data said in Nemesis so I doubt the Chief will just ignore the history they have between them.
I don't know much about Star Trek so I can't talk about that, but what makes me not feeling this story is that there are two Cortanas. They are both real, but the evil one is not the original Cortana, which makes her actions in Halo 5 less meaningful and everything even more nonsense than before. I guess the two Cortanas cannot coexist, the evil one can't redeem for what she did and the visions of the two Cortanas are completely opposite. If Chief has the restored Cortana alongside him he won't hesitate to kill her evil fragment, since the copied version is already with him. Again, nothing to lose, no consequences, no real choices, irrelevant story that had an incredible amount of potential.
I think that's a misconception. Her AI is possible corrupted by the 'logic plague' but at the same time she's evolved beyond her original programming and some part of her will try to better herself. I've even heard people claiming her current persona is acting more like Halsey so if that's true then she may later try to do the right thing while classic Cortana has some of her personality and yet she always seemed like a different person even though she's technically a copy of Halsey.

I don't see why they couldn't co-exist but I think this point the new current Cortana will need a new name since I don't think it should be as black and white as good vs evil Cortana and at some point there going to probably realise there like sisters to each other and just would seem bizarre if Chief just killed her since there not just basic AI but sentient life. Of course there's something to lose...this is about conflict and choices, trying to deal with someone who possible feels like the closest thing he has to family and he know's his friend is going through a rough time and if he just randomly kills her then that's going to make no sense to his character.
ronnie42 wrote:
I seriously doubt the chief will just suddenly have no emotional attachment since for such a long time 'Evolved' Cortana was the only known Cortana, she even once said "They'll pair you with another A.I. Maybe even another Cortana. It won't be me", which is sort of like what Data said in Nemesis so I doubt the Chief will just ignore the history they have between them.
If Evil!Cortana is actually different from Good!Cortana, there's already no emotional attachment. She'd be seen as an imposter with her memories carrying the actions of Halo 5 where she tried to own Chief and humanity, which he was against and trying to stop.

Having Good!Cortana still be alive and be the "original" survivor means all the emotional attachment would just go to that one. It'd be even easier than there just being one Cortana and Chief having to erase her for the greater good.
I don't think this should be a good vs evil, of course there's an attachment and if they tried then it would come off as poor writing. There both essentially sentient beings and both Cortana's will most likely see them as related in a way like sisters, I don't understand how can you think there'd be no emotional attachment and the 'new' Cortana may eventually have to stop the 'evolved' Cortana but that doesn't make it'll be easy for any of them since they'd be like family to each other...regardless of their believes.

Then I'm sorry you feel that way and I'm glad I don't. I would have missed out on a lot of good things if I was deterred by one piece of a story.
I wish I could’ve missed out on Halo 5.
I guess we won't be getting Blackbox, then. If any other character could fill in for Cortana, it'd be BB.
To make things less catastrophic I can think that the Cortana audio we heard is somehow the sub-conscious of the "good" Cortana reactivating on the evil Cortana, so in theory it is not two Cortanas, but just one fighting its conscious and sub-conscious and this Cortana have some alterations in personality, (just like the Gollum in The Lord of the Rings). It is still not ideal but a more interesting way to make the character a little bit deeper, and seeing how this personality shifts changes the Chief it might work well in my opinion.
Is there a shortage in the budget for a quality writing department? Or at the very least, a decent one?
What was so bad about this
It makes Halo 4 and 5 irrelevant. Cortana being shoehorned in and being all back to normal is lazy and uncreative.
Perfect, Halo 4 and 5 should be irrelevant. Having a fragment of Cortana as normal is a perfect way to get back to a story line that doesn't suck.
Is there a shortage in the budget for a quality writing department? Or at the very least, a decent one?
It makes Halo 4 and 5 irrelevant. Cortana being shoehorned in and being all back to normal is lazy and uncreative.
Perfect, Halo 4 and 5 should be irrelevant. Having a fragment of Cortana as normal is a perfect way to get back to a story line that doesn't suck.
No, it is lazy at best. If 343 really wants to reboot Halo to the safe spot and kill creativity with it, it is better for them to make at least a little effort to finish the saga satisfactorily. Halo may not get another title if Infinite goes with this route.
Like Halo 3 where she was a damsel in distress?

This isn’t a fact, though. We don’t know what the dialogue is in reference to. It could be another Cortana, or it could be the Cortana from H5 being shown something from or about her past self. We don’t know what it is because there is zero context. It could be a myriad of things.
Chimera30 wrote:
Minor snip.
It could be a myriad of things.
We also heard foot steps! You know who else has foot steps? Sergeant Forge! #ForgeConfirmed

Though seriously, who walks like that?
Potential plot aside, this new discovery makes me wonder what else has might be thoroughly hidden in that trailer.
This could be another Cortana. She mentioned something like this in Halo 4 too. "The will probably pair you with another A.I, maybe even another Cortana."

Seriously. The reaction to this is ridiculous, as though people know EXACTLY what this vague dialogue means for the story. People are criticizing story writing they haven't even seen yet, which honestly made me laugh out loud.

My own guess is a second Cortana, mirroring Mendicant Bias and Offensive Bias - which is obviously uniquely relevant and resonant with Zeta Halo's history. Or it's rampant Cortana talking to herself. Or the entire thing is a misdirect. We have no idea, which is why flipping out about it is really foolish.
I'd say it's Cortana 2.0. Hinted for a moment at the end of Composer, how she talks like her old but confused self, how 343i probably planned this way back in 2012, bringing to light the scrapped idea from Bungie to make Cortana evil after downloading Installation 04's database from CE, and how it's actually fitting together slowly with this story arc. We just need patience now, more than ever.

People are like abandoning ship before it starts to sink, and we don't know it even will.
Nalla78 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Minor snip.
It could be a myriad of things.
We also heard foot steps! You know who else has foot steps? Sergeant Forge! #ForgeConfirmed

Though seriously, who walks like that?
Those were some interesting footsteps. At first I thought it was Chief, but then it sounded too light to be him. So I don't know at this point.
Up until now, I've been lenient with the storytelling until now. The idea that one of Cortana's rampant fragments caused this much destruction is simply insane.
C'mon, this is messed up. It destroys the entire purpose of this saga. So Cortana is not dead, the evil Cortana is not real, just a rampant indepentent fragment. All the destruction and death she caused is non consequential now and Chief can easily destroy the evil fragment with no emotional investment at all.
At the end the good Cortana can be restored to her original version and she can attach to Chief with no problem and they lived happily ever after.
Back before Halo 5 came out, I had a theory that when Cortana was pulled from the system on Requiem the Librarian's remnant essentially split her, returning the more damaged parts to the Chief (with enough to keep her going so that she could help stop the Didact) and retaining a "clean" Cortana. With Cortana split into so many fragments - all Cortana - she did die, she did go rampant, and it's still impacting because it's still Cortana.

I mean really, all this whining about it "invalidating the sacrifice" is as silly as saying that seeing Linda up and around "invalidates" her practically dying in The Fall of Reach.

Quote:
Please, the game is not out yet and all of this is just speculation, but if we assume what the hidden audio suggests,
The audio gives a few things very clearly. We hear heavy footsteps (obviously the Chief,) and then the sound of Cortana's avatar appearing (compare to here) before she talks about a fragment being a part of her.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8