1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
wow. i'm amazed about some reactions to a hidden audio file which could mean so many things and no one can really say what it is about. but some people seem the need to announce, that they won't play the game now. ok, it's your choice, but over just an hidden audio file? ok....

that being said: i also don't get why a secound cortana would be so bad? could be just a normal backup file. an AI could also have more iterations from the start (which would make it a different "character", just from the same production line). could also be a failsafe protocol which would set back cortana to an earlier state.

so many possibilities, but people already hating on an idea they are already fixated on, which could be the case, but also could very well be not the case.

and even if it is the dreaded scenario, i still think it depands on the execution. the best idea in a story is worthless if it is executed poorly and a seemingly bad idea can be really good if executed well.
WSerg wrote:
wow. i'm amazed about some reactions to a hidden audio file which could mean so many things and no one can really say what it is about. but some people seem the need to announce, that they won't play the game now. ok, it's your choice, but over just an hidden audio file? ok....

that being said: i also don't get why a secound cortana would be so bad? could be just a normal backup file. an AI could also have more iterations from the start (which would make it a different "character", just from the same production line). could also be a failsafe protocol which would set back cortana to an earlier state.

so many possibilities, but people already hating on an idea they are already fixated on, which could be the case, but also could very well be not the case.

and even if it is the dreaded scenario, i still think it depands on the execution. the best idea in a story is worthless if it is executed poorly and a seemingly bad idea can be really good if executed well.
Sadly that's the way the Halo community is someday's. Basically some people have impossible standards with the story so it can be difficult to understand what fans will like/dislike.

I don't understand the hate either since was just reading up that she fractured herself multiply times to gain entry to the domain in between H4,5 so maybe there's several fractions cut off from the 'evolved' Cortana. I guess some people can't deal with complicated stories.
There is a difference between a complicated story being that way because of narrative depth and it being that way because its a mess. What you said is rather interesting, "I don't understand the hate either since was just reading up that she fractured herself multiply times to gain entry to the domain in between H4,5."

Let me ask, WHEN did we see that happen in Halo 4? If we go by only what the game tells us, the Domain was inaccessible at the time according to what Cortana says about the terminals being stuck in a loop trying to access the Domain. As Halo 4 ends, Cortana does say that most of her is "down there", referencing the destroyed Mantle's Approach. She then fades away and we presume she dies. Now, we learn later in a forum post here on Waypoint that the "heart" of the Mantle's Approach transitioned into slipspace. This is a detail that Halo 4 never implies nor does it come up until Halo 5 where Chief mentions the Didact's ship could have gone anywhere. I feel like this info could have been presented in Halo 4 itself to give it more believability. But then when you read Dominion Splinter, we don't see any ship, we just see Cortana falling into the void and magically ending up on the doorstep to the Domain. I guess it could all be metaphorical, but it hardly makes things clearer. That story supports the idea that fragments made it to the Domain, though given how Cortana lies to us in Halo 5, can we be certain she wasn't lying about being a fragment all alone to the Warden? Other fragments show up, so what was stopping her from being whole and then splitting up? Course you also have Genesis' Waypoint article here saying Cortana's core was shunted into the Domain, not fragments, but her core. Throw in the heavylifting for explaining reasons why Cortana might be compromised or damaged were handled in Loot Crates and its pretty apparent this isn't a complicated story because it has tons of depth.

It's complicated because it feels like 343 was just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.
ronnie42 wrote:
WSerg wrote:

Sadly that's the way the Halo community is someday's. Basically some people have impossible standards with the story so it can be difficult to understand what fans will like/dislike.

I don't understand the hate either since was just reading up that she fractured herself multiply times to gain entry to the domain in between H4,5 so maybe there's several fractions cut off from the 'evolved' Cortana. I guess some people can't deal with complicated stories.
That's honestly a very inaccurate guess to make, and the hate isn't that difficult to comprehend. The ending of Halo 4 and all subsequent material up to Halo 5 pointed to her as being properly dead. Nothing, from Frankie to the ad campaign for 5 gave any sign that she was still alive. The fans that hate were all looking forward to positive change for the Chief in the narrative, and Cortana being alive and well promptly buttyoinked that all up. We hate that Cortana returned at all after being given a beautiful, emotional sendoff that gave true closure to her character arc and we hate that Frankie and others lied about her death! I mean, after Halo 4, Frankie stated (and I quote) that Cortana's fate was obviously clear. Doesn't look good when the character in question who is supposed to be dead returns alive and well after all that pow-wow does it?

Also, it's one thing to call Cortana dead and then suddenly show her alive. It's quite another to turn her evil, and then declare on record her actions are not evil, but merely a thing to disagree with. Brian Reed's decision, and the board's approval to turn Cortana evil ruined a character we have loved and cherished since her debut in 2001. That's 14 years of well constructed and carefully managed character arc flushed down the drain at the stroke of a pen. 14 years! And all because some people couldn't live without her. Also Microsoft wanted to make more money, and they felt her character was more marketable. We're angry because after Chris Schlerf left, no one at 343i had the balls to continue with the bold narrative decision to kill her off. They kowtowed to Microsoft and to the angry whiny Cortana fanboys who wanted their idol back. Damage control conducted by Frankie also backfired big time. Cortana isn't just doing a thing we disagree with. That's like saying Hitler gassing the Jews was merely a thing people disagreed with. What Hitler did was point-blank evil. You know what he did? He murdered and enslaved people. You know what Cortana did and is doing to achieve her preposterous goal of galactic peace? Murder and enslave people.

343i turned Cortana evil for nothing, and are now clearly backtracking because they yoinked up again. Furthermore, because Frankie couldn't handle being bombarded with criticism, he referred to us as being "young fans" who couldn't understand subtlety or nuance, because that totally explains everything doesn't it Frankie?
HaXoR73 wrote:
Up until now, I've been lenient with the storytelling until now. The idea that one of Cortana's rampant fragments caused this much destruction is simply insane.
"I draw the line at pure theorycrafting about a few hidden lines of dialogue referencing things I haven't seen, in a story I haven't been told yet!"

And it wouldn't be just a rampant fragment of Cortana (a concept with which, by the way, we know nothing - what does a "fragment" of an AI even mean?). It would be a rampant AI that got direct access to the Forerunner Domain, which is presumably why the Prometheans protect and fight for her in the first place.

Halo 5 explains nearly nothing about what state Cortana is in - we just know she's gone bonkers, and she can apparently take some sort of corporeal, hard light form. That's pretty much it. That's bad storytelling, but it also means they have a pretty clear deck in terms of explaining this stuff in Infinite.
"(a concept with which, by the way, we know nothing - what does a "fragment" of an AI even mean?)"

It'd be like any other fragment Cortana is capable of making, a duplicate. Ordinarily, she has control over what said duplicates can do. In Halo 4, it would appear she made duplicates of her rampant personality spikes to wreak havoc on the Mantle's Approach's systems. Course, as was the case with her duplicates in Halo: First Strike, the more duplicates made the less stable they became. What more do you expect from an ability taken from a dissected Covenant AI who itself was evidently created by mass copying?
There is a difference between a complicated story being that way because of narrative depth and it being that way because its a mess. What you said is rather interesting, "I don't understand the hate either since was just reading up that she fractured herself multiply times to gain entry to the domain in between H4,5."

Let me ask, WHEN did we see that happen in Halo 4?

*Snip*

It's complicated because it feels like 343 was just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.
I don't see how this point can be argued against.

Connecting Halo 5 to Halo 4 is difficult with all these complicated forms of story telling which don't present themselves in the games. Without reading and understanding all of these randomly placed bits of lore, I don't see how casual fans can follow the stories of H4 -> H5 -> H6.
ronnie42 wrote:
WSerg wrote:
That's honestly a very inaccurate guess to make, and the hate isn't that difficult to comprehend. The ending of Halo 4 and all subsequent material up to Halo 5 pointed to her as being properly dead. Nothing, from Frankie to the ad campaign for 5 gave any sign that she was still alive. The fans that hate were all looking forward to positive change for the Chief in the narrative, and Cortana being alive and well promptly () that all up. We hate that Cortana returned at all after being given a beautiful, emotional sendoff that gave true closure to her character arc and we hate that Frankie and others lied about her death! I mean, after Halo 4, Frankie stated (and I quote) that Cortana's fate was obviously clear. Doesn't look good when the character in question who is supposed to be dead returns alive and well after all that pow-wow does it?

Also, it's one thing to call Cortana dead and then suddenly show her alive. It's quite another to turn her evil, and then declare on record her actions are not evil, but merely a thing to disagree with. Brian Reed's decision, and the board's approval to turn Cortana evil ruined a character we have loved and cherished since her debut in 2001. That's 14 years of well constructed and carefully managed character arc flushed down the drain at the stroke of a pen. 14 years! And all because some people couldn't live without her. Also Microsoft wanted to make more money, and they felt her character was more marketable. We're angry because after Chris Schlerf left, no one at 343i had the balls to continue with the bold narrative decision to kill her off. They kowtowed to Microsoft and to the angry whiny Cortana fanboys who wanted their idol back. Damage control conducted by Frankie also backfired big time. Cortana isn't just doing a thing we disagree with. That's like saying Hitler gassing the Jews was merely a thing people disagreed with. What Hitler did was point-blank evil. You know what he did? He murdered and enslaved people. You know what Cortana did and is doing to achieve her preposterous goal of galactic peace? Murder and enslave people.

343i turned Cortana evil for nothing, and are now clearly backtracking because they yoinked up again. I'm not stating this as fact. I'm strictly calling it how I see it.
Once again.......not inaccurate guess since many people have conflicting views on this, just like the art style and it is physically impossible to please everyone.
I'm not saying Cortana wasn't assumed dead.

A lot of people didn't like her assumed 'death' and many people started to claim the usual "never play a Halo game"....it happens often in the forums whenever someone finds a random thing they dislike...even if it doesn't make sense to another person to abandon the game for a 'specific reason' that someone else enjoys.

Here's the thing...I hated what they did to Cortana and heck I hated how they portrayed her character in 4,5 and yet for me I'm fine parts of H4 being 'dismissed' since for me, many others felt it hurt the IP. Anyway I don't really care if 343i pretended she was 'dead' because to me what happened to her felt disrespectful to her character and at the time I was quite annoyed, for me...it just doesn't feel like a main Halo game without her.

Anyway going on about WW2 has nothing to do with this. Anyway as I've said before some people have impossible standards, no matter what 343i does there's always going to be something for someone to complain about.

Here's the point... I strongly disagree with you but at the same time you obviously disagree, yet that's kind of the point...they can't please everyone.

Connecting Halo 5 to Halo 4 is difficult with all these complicated forms of story telling which don't present themselves in the games. Without reading and understanding all of these randomly placed bits of lore, I don't see how casual fans can follow the stories of H4 -> H5 -> H6.
You don't see? The solution is simple: don't be a casual fan. Yet even casual fans can use sites like Wikipedia.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
WSerg wrote:
That's honestly a very inaccurate guess to make, and the hate isn't that difficult to comprehend. The ending of Halo 4 and all subsequent material up to Halo 5 pointed to her as being properly dead. Nothing, from Frankie to the ad campaign for 5 gave any sign that she was still alive. The fans that hate were all looking forward to positive change for the Chief in the narrative, and Cortana being alive and well promptly () that all up. We hate that Cortana returned at all after being given a beautiful, emotional sendoff that gave true closure to her character arc and we hate that Frankie and others lied about her death! I mean, after Halo 4, Frankie stated (and I quote) that Cortana's fate was obviously clear. Doesn't look good when the character in question who is supposed to be dead returns alive and well after all that pow-wow does it?

343i turned Cortana evil for nothing, and are now clearly backtracking because they yoinked up again. I'm not stating this as fact. I'm strictly calling it how I see it.
Once again.......not inaccurate guess since many people have conflicting views on this, just like the art style and it is physically impossible to please everyone.
I'm not saying Cortana wasn't assumed dead.

A lot of people didn't like her assumed 'death' and many people started to claim the usual "never play a Halo game"....it happens often in the forums whenever someone finds a random thing they dislike...even if it doesn't make sense to another person to abandon the game for a 'specific reason' that someone else enjoys.

Here's the thing...I hated what they did to Cortana and heck I hated how they portrayed her character in 4,5 and yet for me I'm fine parts of H4 being 'dismissed' since for me, many others felt it hurt the IP. Anyway I don't really care if 343i pretended she was 'dead' because to me what happened to her felt disrespectful to her character and at the time I was quite annoyed, for me...it just doesn't feel like a main Halo game without her.

Anyway going on about WW2 has nothing to do with this. Anyway as I've said before some people have impossible standards, no matter what 343i does there's always going to be something for someone to complain about.

Here's the point... I strongly disagree with you but at the same time you obviously disagree, yet that's kind of the point...they can't please everyone.
I concede. All I'm trying to say is be careful not to paint people with the same brush.

You don't see? The solution is simple: don't be a casual fan. Yet even casual fans can use sites like Wikipedia.
Plenty of fans will say you shouldn't have to do outside research for the story to make sense.
This Easter egg is awesome. Well done 343. Whatever it is, a fragment of Cortana or a new Cortana, I'm pumped. I don't care if people think the writing is lazy, too predictable, or unoriginal, halo isn't halo and the master chief isn't the master chief without Cortana. I miss normal Cortana so much. Halo 5 was bordering on totally annoying with rampant/crazy Cortana.
This is interesting, if true not mad at this yet. Tbh I don't have much to go on. Also with regards to the complaints about making halo 4 and 5 less relevant etc... they have been saying from the jump Infinite is an opportunity for a spiritual reboot.

So from what I can tell that means they won't be 'un-cannoning' the events of h4 n 5 BUT admittedly the impacts of those games were always going to be dulled as a result of this manner of reboot, coupled with the new/old direction they're taking thematically. Mid series reboots are usually very polarising tbh.

I'm less skeptical about this approach to bringing things back on track (if this pans out how we think it will) and more excited about the future stories that can be told if they have to do this to bring back what makes Halo special again. Some may call this a creative liberty, but if it allows us to have a solid foundation (for infinite and future games) then so be it - I don't think it'll be as bad as people are making out! As many have said the execution matters too.
I can't believe after the laughable performance 343 has given us the past 8 years, they are finally making things right and people are losing their mind over an audio log
This Easter egg is awesome. Well done 343. Whatever it is, a fragment of Cortana or a new Cortana, I'm pumped. I don't care if people think the writing is lazy, too predictable, or unoriginal, halo isn't halo and the master chief isn't the master chief without Cortana. I miss normal Cortana so much. Halo 5 was bordering on totally annoying with rampant/crazy Cortana.
A question. You get "normal" Cortana back and then what? Halo: CE through Halo 4 gave her a fairly open and shut narrative arc. In order for the series story to have some credibility, there have to be consequences for what Cortana did. I don't buy Chief just up and forgiving Cortana 100% even though it seems fans are perfectly, and I'd say disturbingly at times, able to excuse away a mass murderer. The status quo is comforting, but it can lead to the stagnating of a franchise.

I can't believe after the laughable performance 343 has given us the past 8 years, they are finally making things right and people are losing their mind over an audio log
I suppose that would mean that, for some, this isn't "making things right."
A question. You get "normal" Cortana back and then what? Halo: CE through Halo 4 gave her a fairly open and shut narrative arc. In order for the series story to have some credibility, there have to be consequences for what Cortana did. I don't buy Chief just up and forgiving Cortana 100% even though it seems fans are perfectly, and I'd say disturbingly at times, able to excuse away a mass murderer. The status quo is comforting, but it can lead to the stagnating of a franchise.

A normal Cortana can still be repentant and sorry for past actions. I'm not saying there shouldnt be consequences, I'm saying halo is a better game with Cortana in it. To heck with credibility. Credibility didn't make halo 4 and halo 5 better games. There are plenty more stories that the chief and Cortana can explore if she does come back.

A normal Cortana can still be repentant and sorry for past actions. I'm not saying there shouldnt be consequences, I'm saying halo is a better game with Cortana in it. To heck with credibility. Credibility didn't make halo 4 and halo 5 better games. There are plenty more stories that the chief and Cortana can explore if she does come back.
You honestly think the UNSC, ONI, or anyone will just let Cortana walk away with a "Whoops, sorry for taking over the galaxy"? I'd argue that just having Cortana around doesn't make the game or future games better, especially if they handwave everything way that has happened. Still, I'd say credibility made Halo 4 a better story than Halo 3 by a mile.
Plenty of fans will say you shouldn't have to do outside research for the story to make sense.
And to be frank, many fans would be foolishly blind. It has always been that way.

Throughout Halo: Combat Evolved, it's never really explained what the deal with Reach is, or what the Pillar of Autumn was running from. Huh, guess we'll have to read The Fall of Reach to find out.

Then Halo 2 starts up just a month's time later - wait, how did the Chief get back to Earth? Drat, guess we need to read First Strike to get answers for that one.

Halo 3's got the easiest transition, but wait... How did the Chief avoid being detected aboard the Dreadnought, and how did he escape when it made entry? What of the huge battle taking place around Earth's Orbit? Uprising looks to have the answers there...

And even then, we don't really need the books to understand what's going on with Cortana between Halo 4 and Halo 5. The first half of the game is even "What's going on, she's supposed to be dead?" Then on Genesis, we've got some lovely dialogue that clears it all up well enough to bridge the gap:

Linda: "Chief said you were destroyed."
Cortana (COM): "After I saw John last, I was pulled into slipspace. That's where I found access to the Domain -- a Forerunner system that spans the known galaxy."
Kelly: "How are you still active? Rampancy-"
Cortana (COM): "Entering the Domain... touching this place... it cured me. It's like the water of life for AIs."
And to be frank, many fans would be foolishly blind. It has always been that way.

Throughout Halo: Combat Evolved, it's never really explained what the deal with Reach is, or what the Pillar of Autumn was running from. Huh, guess we'll have to read The Fall of Reach to find out.

Then Halo 2 starts up just a month's time later - wait, how did the Chief get back to Earth? Drat, guess we need to read First Strike to get answers for that one.

Halo 3's got the easiest transition, but wait... How did the Chief avoid being detected aboard the Dreadnought, and how did he escape when it made entry? What of the huge battle taking place around Earth's Orbit? Uprising looks to have the answers there...
Oh, I'm not saying Halo fans are consistent when it comes to this criticism. As you said, the Bungie games had plenty you'd have to pour-over. For whatever reason fans were okay doing that before but not now. But it has been something 343 has taken to heart so its not like it won't be valid.
The tweet from the author who found this secret: https://twitter.com/xepyal/status/1155837127487369216Apparently he stretched a QR code that appears in a split of a second in the trailer and it led to this audio.
As it sounds, Cortana finds that her fragments gone rampant and eventually became the evil space dictator from Halo 5. The Cortana who "died" in Halo 4 is still alive and she realizes what happened to her fragments.

C'mon, this is messed up. It destroys the entire purpose of this saga. So Cortana is not dead, the evil Cortana is not real, just a rampant indepentent fragment. All the destruction and death she caused is non consequential now and Chief can easily destroy the evil fragment with no emotional investment at all.
At the end the good Cortana can be restored to her original version and she can attach to Chief with no problem and they lived happily ever after.

Please, the game is not out yet and all of this is just speculation, but if we assume what the hidden audio suggests, everything that happened to the end of Halo 4 and Halo 5 is not what it looks like it is and it is probably one of the worst possible incomes this story can make. If we were expecting redemption from 343 after the bad story of Halo 5 we are probably getting something worse.
So it's just as I feared. Cortana as we know her did not die at all and the abomination from Halo 5 claiming to be her is just an evil clone.

*sighs*

How far Halo has fallen from the dramatic, engaging and entertaining storyteller it used to be, and I use that phrase lightly. I know Bungie wasn't the greatest ever storyteller themselves, but damn it all if Halo CE through to Reach's ratings don't speak for themselves.

As I see it, this is 343 admitting they yoinked up and are subsequently pressing the reset button. Chief's back to being a blank slate (all of his previous experiences having no effect on his character whatsoever), Cortana is neither dead nor evil, the Covenant will most likely return to being Public Enemy No.1 (exactly as they appeared first in Halo CE no less. No Brutes, no Engineers, no Drones, no Skirmishers. Just the Grunts, Jackals, Elites and Hunters), the events of Halo 4 are well and truly erased and now Halo 5 is being basically handwaved away like it happened but no great acknowledgement is being paid to it other than 343's selective important bits.

I'm definitely not getting the game now, but that's just me. I don't know what it means for the fandom as a whole, other than fans who wanted their nostalgic Halo back being satisfied. Honestly, I don't care much either.
Imagine speculating this much over a 15 second audio fragment lmao how tf do you gleam all of that from a clip that isn't even a minute long?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8