5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
WSerg wrote:
That's honestly a very inaccurate guess to make, and the hate isn't that difficult to comprehend. The ending of Halo 4 and all subsequent material up to Halo 5 pointed to her as being properly dead. Nothing, from Frankie to the ad campaign for 5 gave any sign that she was still alive. The fans that hate were all looking forward to positive change for the Chief in the narrative, and Cortana being alive and well promptly () that all up. We hate that Cortana returned at all after being given a beautiful, emotional sendoff that gave true closure to her character arc and we hate that Frankie and others lied about her death! I mean, after Halo 4, Frankie stated (and I quote) that Cortana's fate was obviously clear. Doesn't look good when the character in question who is supposed to be dead returns alive and well after all that pow-wow does it?

Also, it's one thing to call Cortana dead and then suddenly show her alive. It's quite another to turn her evil, and then declare on record her actions are not evil, but merely a thing to disagree with. Brian Reed's decision, and the board's approval to turn Cortana evil ruined a character we have loved and cherished since her debut in 2001. That's 14 years of well constructed and carefully managed character arc flushed down the drain at the stroke of a pen. 14 years! And all because some people couldn't live without her. Also Microsoft wanted to make more money, and they felt her character was more marketable. We're angry because after Chris Schlerf left, no one at 343i had the balls to continue with the bold narrative decision to kill her off. They kowtowed to Microsoft and to the angry whiny Cortana fanboys who wanted their idol back. Damage control conducted by Frankie also backfired big time. Cortana isn't just doing a thing we disagree with. That's like saying Hitler gassing the Jews was merely a thing people disagreed with. What Hitler did was point-blank evil. You know what he did? He murdered and enslaved people. You know what Cortana did and is doing to achieve her preposterous goal of galactic peace? Murder and enslave people.

343i turned Cortana evil for nothing, and are now clearly backtracking because they yoinked up again. I'm not stating this as fact. I'm strictly calling it how I see it.
Once again.......not inaccurate guess since many people have conflicting views on this, just like the art style and it is physically impossible to please everyone.
I'm not saying Cortana wasn't assumed dead.

A lot of people didn't like her assumed 'death' and many people started to claim the usual "never play a Halo game"....it happens often in the forums whenever someone finds a random thing they dislike...even if it doesn't make sense to another person to abandon the game for a 'specific reason' that someone else enjoys.

Here's the thing...I hated what they did to Cortana and heck I hated how they portrayed her character in 4,5 and yet for me I'm fine parts of H4 being 'dismissed' since for me, many others felt it hurt the IP. Anyway I don't really care if 343i pretended she was 'dead' because to me what happened to her felt disrespectful to her character and at the time I was quite annoyed, for me...it just doesn't feel like a main Halo game without her.

Anyway going on about WW2 has nothing to do with this. Anyway as I've said before some people have impossible standards, no matter what 343i does there's always going to be something for someone to complain about.

Here's the point... I strongly disagree with you but at the same time you obviously disagree, yet that's kind of the point...they can't please everyone.
The part of dismissing the previous Halo massively breaks the story continuity in a way it cannot be restored anymore, liking what happened or not. I really don't like Halo 5's story but now it was made, I don't want it to be erased again like Halo 4 was, doing that is worse than retconing what I did not like, so in the end the story is a bunch of chopped stuff that has no continuity or interest and feels like wasted time.
Now, what can happen is 343 Industries mess with the story once again just to return to the way the game was back in 2001. I'd rather have bold stories that has a creative interest, than a lot of Nostalgia all over again safe place just to please the angry fans that prefer nostalgia over quality.
I don't see how this point can be argued against.

Connecting Halo 5 to Halo 4 is difficult with all these complicated forms of story telling which don't present themselves in the games. Without reading and understanding all of these randomly placed bits of lore, I don't see how casual fans can follow the stories of H4 -> H5 -> H6.
You don't see? The solution is simple: don't be a casual fan. Yet even casual fans can use sites like Wikipedia.
I don't know it feels wrong, specially in Halo 5 for the fan to have to go to outside material to merely understand what is happening in the game. Halo 5 don't even bother to flesh out things that are crucial to the story. Everything is told rather than shown in a vague way, so the outside material is like the only way to have more satisfying answers.
As pointed out, though, that's the way it's always been. And, also pointed out, Halo 5 does offer explanation in-game. Neither do I see where they failed to "flesh out" the story in-game; seems to me that people just want stuff shown in cutscenes, rather than game dialogue.
Just watched Greenskulls new vid, his friend applied the secret audio on a spectrograph, seemed to have revealed a ring around the letter z, zeta halo hint?
Just watched Greenskulls new vid, his friend applied the secret audio on a spectrograph, seemed to have revealed a ring around the letter z, zeta halo hint?
It does? Damn, that's some insane level of detail 343 put in. Nice job.
[...] the Covenant will most likely return to being Public Enemy No.1 (exactly as they appeared first in Halo CE no less. No Brutes, no Engineers, no Drones, no Skirmishers. Just the Grunts, Jackals, Elites and Hunters).
Wait, from where is this info coming from? A Covenant like enemy is certainly going to be the main antagonist (speculation of course, but no-one enjoyed fighting our robo friends, so by exclusion...), but only those species? In an open world non the less? I doubt that to say the least!
Man,
there's ton of possibilities here! Let me list down my ideas:
  • Maybe the new audio is from a new and good Cortana 2.0, made from the second copy of Dr Halsey brain
  • Maybe the new audio is from a new and good Cortana 2.0, made from a saved backup of the original Cortana
  • Maybe Halo 5's Cortana (Evil Cortana) is the mixture of all her corrupted copies at the end of Halo 4 that got together through the domain - and so the audio is from a Cortana 2.0 made from one of the options above
  • Maybe Evil Cortana is the mixture of JUST SOME of her corrupted copies at the end of Halo 4 that got together through the domain, and those corrupted parts are from those parts of Cortana that Noble team delivered at the Pillar of Autumn > that Dr Halsey extracted from the Forerunner's structure on Reach! (This would explain a lot I think) - and so the new audio is from other corrupted parts that Chief and Halsey got to fix and reassembled together thus rebuilding the original Cortana! - this does not invalid the first two points though :)
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
WSerg wrote:
The part of dismissing the previous Halo massively breaks the story continuity in a way it cannot be restored anymore, liking what happened or not. I really don't like Halo 5's story but now it was made, I don't want it to be erased again like Halo 4 was, doing that is worse than retconing what I did not like, so in the end the story is a bunch of chopped stuff that has no continuity or interest and feels like wasted time.
Now, what can happen is 343 Industries mess with the story once again just to return to the way the game was back in 2001. I'd rather have bold stories that has a creative interest, than a lot of Nostalgia all over again safe place just to please the angry fans that prefer nostalgia over quality.
Umm to be fair I felt like 4,5 did the same thing to the classic trilogy and generally made no sense like how the 'Covenant' randomly changed species or how the Forerunners randomly changed art-style, etc... So for me it just needs to change like how 343i are trying to correct the games for the inconsistency's, which is why there calling it a 'soft reboot'. I'd have to disagree about it being disconnected since the story of 4 was more about the 'Didact' and the story continues in the books, the ending with Cortana probably should have never happened and it was used to mislead the audience to lead to people being surprised...though it could have been executed better, which is why we have a new writer for Infinite. I doubt this is just about Nostalgia...it was more about bad writing, which is why H4, 5 had the most complaints when it comes to story.
Evil Cortana vs Good Cortana.
"Let them fight"
- Guy from that one Godzilla movie
No conclusion can be drawn from such a small sample,but I pray that the writers stay away from a potential "Good Cortana vs Bad Cortana" plotline.
Her character has been damaged beyond repair.Please lets just wrap it up and end her completely in H:Infinite.
Soooo can we change topic of boo hoo story and see that there could be an ARG here? Please let there be an ARG...
It does? Damn, that's some insane level of detail 343 put in. Nice job.
Probs many more secrets in the trailer, kind of exciting.
[...] the Covenant will most likely return to being Public Enemy No.1 (exactly as they appeared first in Halo CE no less. No Brutes, no Engineers, no Drones, no Skirmishers. Just the Grunts, Jackals, Elites and Hunters).
Wait, from where is this info coming from? A Covenant like enemy is certainly going to be the main antagonist (speculation of course, but no-one enjoyed fighting our robo friends, so by exclusion...), but only those species? In an open world non the less? I doubt that to say the least!
I, for one, actually quite enjoy the Prometheans. And I seriously doubt that they're going anywhere...

If we do see a Covenant, it will likely be formed from either Sali 'Nyon or Dural 'Mdama. The Jiralhanae likely won't faction religiously with Sangheili (the Banished being an exception, as they're mercenaries,) Huragok and Yanme'e are somewhat unknown, and the T'vaoan Kig-Yar were almost wiped out during the Human-Covenant War. We likely won't see them again at all.

ronnie42 wrote:
Umm to be fair I felt like 4,5 did the same thing to the classic trilogy and generally made no sense like how the 'Covenant' randomly changed species or how the Forerunners randomly changed art-style, etc...
The Covenant didn't randomly change species.

Forerunner "Art style" differs in that through the original trilogy, we see Builder structures exclusively. Requiem is a Promethean structure, and as they are a different Rate and culture of Forerunner entirely, their architectural style and aesthetics are going to differ. That said, the art style didn't differ that much on a fundamental level. It just got more detailed with better graphics rendering.

Quote:
the ending with Cortana probably should have never happened and it was used to mislead the audience to lead to people being surprised...
What?

Quote:
I doubt this is just about Nostalgia...it was more about bad writing, which is why H4, 5 had the most complaints when it comes to story.
You know, I'm curious. What about Halo 4 and 5's writing is really that bad? Disliking something doesn't make it inherently bad, necessarily, and Brian Reed at least didn't break canon or play fast-and-loose with it to tell the story.
ronnie42 wrote:
Umm to be fair I felt like 4,5 did the same thing to the classic trilogy and generally made no sense like how the 'Covenant' randomly changed species or how the Forerunners randomly changed art-style, etc...

Forerunner "Art style" differs in that through the original trilogy, we see Builder structures exclusively. Requiem is a Promethean structure, and as they are a different Rate and culture of Forerunner entirely, their architectural style and aesthetics are going to differ. That said, the art style didn't differ that much on a fundamental level. It just got more detailed with better graphics rendering.

Quote:
the ending with Cortana probably should have never happened and it was used to mislead the audience to lead to people being surprised...
What?

Quote:
I doubt this is just about Nostalgia...it was more about bad writing, which is why H4, 5 had the most complaints when it comes to story.
You know, I'm curious. What about Halo 4 and 5's writing is really that bad? Disliking something doesn't make it inherently bad, necessarily, and Brian Reed at least didn't break canon or play fast-and-loose with it to tell the story.
  • Umm they did change species....there's countless threads on how their design was unrecognisable from their counter-parts and even the Elites look, act like Brutes.
  • The Art Style has been consistent with the forerunners till 4,5 so what you're saying makes no sense.
  • I'm not sure what you're getting at with Cortana.......but I hated that ending, I'm sure it could have been written better if she was going to 'fake' her death.
  • Look it up about the writing......there's plenty of reasons why, why the lead writer ended up stepping down.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Quote:
What?

Quote:
  • Umm they did change species....there's countless threads on how their design was unrecognisable from their counter-parts and even the Elites look, act like Brutes.
  • The Art Style has been consistent with the forerunners till 4,5 so what you're saying makes no sense.
  • I'm not sure what you're getting at with Cortana.......but I hated that ending, I'm sure it could have been written better if she was going to 'fake' her death.
  • Look it up about the writing......there's plenty of reasons why, why the lead writer ended up stepping down.
You'd think a giant company like Microsoft would have had him locked in to a longterm contract. Guess they didn't.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
You'd think a giant company like Microsoft would have had him locked in to a longterm contract. Guess they didn't.
Not sure, I mean he was the lead writer for Halo 5 and was supposed to be the Lead Narrative Director and probably not anymore so I guess his writing wasn't up to most peoples expectations...at least that's what I keep hearing.
ronnie42 wrote:
  • They did not. They are still Sangheili, Kig-Yar, Unggoy. While a slightly different phenotype, they are of the same species and have all the major biological indicators of their various kinds. The visual change has been no more extreme than the visual change in any other Halo game, and with comparative pictures of particularly the Sangheili, most of the visual "unappealing" seems to come from the armor. A Sangheili from Halo 5 in Halo 2 Anniversary armor does not look so different. As for the Sangheili "looking and acting like Brutes", I've found these complaints and arguments to be lacking. It mostly comes down to gruff demeanor and what's perceived as "stomping footsteps", as though Sangheili all must conform to some ridiculous notion of graceful poise and lithe movement. Despite this never being established.

Not to mention that if people really want to complain about appearances changing, the Jiralhanae have never had a consistent look, even with base biology.
  • And that is because it was all Builder aesthetics. Halo 4 features Promethean architecture (a different Forerunner culture,) and Halo 5 has a unique Builder location that, while more detailed, has more in common with "classic" Forerunner looks than Requiem. Yet even still, there are core similarities with the aesthetics to where it has not been changed so drastically.
  • Sounds like a you problem, then. Neither did she "fake her death"; I am quite certain from the narrative that Cortana expected to die.
  • I'd rather hear reasons here. If it is truly so inherently bad, it should be easy. For example, Glasslands was bad writing because the author admittedly did not research the topic she was writing about in-depth so as to "not develop bias" (yet she did anyways,) broke and ignored elements of established canon to drive her emotional narrative, and fundamentally altered character behaviors and personalities (in direct contradiction to established character developments) to spin her story.
ronnie42 wrote:
Okay...

• They did not. They are still Sangheili, Kig-Yar, Unggoy. While a slightly different phenotype, they are of the same species and have all the major biological indicators of their various kinds. The visual change has been no more extreme than the visual change in any other Halo game, and with comparative pictures of particularly the Sangheili, most of the visual "unappealing" seems to come from the armor. A Sangheili from Halo 5 in Halo 2 Anniversary armor does not look so different. As for the Sangheili "looking and acting like Brutes", I've found these complaints and arguments to be lacking. It mostly comes down to gruff demeanor and what's perceived as "stomping footsteps", as though Sangheili all must conform to some ridiculous notion of graceful poise and lithe movement. Despite this never being established.
  • And that is because it was all Builder aesthetics. Halo 4 features Promethean architecture (a different Forerunner culture,) and Halo 5 has a unique Builder location that, while more detailed, has more in common with "classic" Forerunner looks than Requiem. Yet even still, there are core similarities with the aesthetics to where it has not been changed so drastically.
  • Sounds like a you problem, then. Neither did she "fake her death"; I am quite certain from the narrative that Cortana expected to die.
  • I'd rather hear reasons here. If it is truly so inherently bad, it should be easy. For example, Glasslands was bad writing because the author admittedly did not research the topic she was writing about in-depth so as to "not develop bias" (yet she did anyways,) broke and ignored elements of established canon to drive her emotional narrative, and fundamentally altered character behaviors and personalities (in direct contradiction to established character developments) to spin her story.
  • Firstly this, this, this....I could go all day on why the designs are bad, inconsistent like how the Elites behave nothing like Elites in classic Halo and end up looking like a sub-species of the Brutes. Literally nothing about modern Halo designs looks like there part of the same species.
  • As for Prometheans........they don't even match the original concept's either and widely inconsistent with their general designs and is not believable.
  • To be blunt...if you have a problem that many people didn't like what happened then that's your 'opinion'...that doesn't mean I, others have to like or agree with you.
Anyway I really don't care if people have a problem with Cortana's classic version returning....I straight up hate the changes of Halo 4,5 and I'm generally glad that Halo Infinite seems to going back to classic Halo.
ronnie42 wrote:
Firstly this, this, this....I could go all day on why the designs are bad, inconsistent like how the Elites behave nothing like Elites in classic Halo and end up looking like a sub-species of the Brutes. Literally nothing about modern Halo designs looks like there part of the same species.
This amounts to nothing more than opinions, and doesn't prove that they're "different species".

Quote:
As for Prometheans........they don't even match the original concept's either and widely inconsistent with their general designs and is not believable.
There is no original concept for Prometheans prior to Halo 4. So you've nothing to go on there. With this, the aesthetic style for Promethean Warrior-Servants and their creations remains consistent. In fact, the third video that you link (Late Night Gaming's video) explicitly says that the Forerunner designs remain faithful to Bungie's original vision, just with better graphics.

Quote:
To be blunt...if you have a problem that many people didn't like what happened then that's your 'opinion'...that doesn't mean I, others have to like or agree with you.
The exact same follows for everything you list as a "problem" or "bad". I don't care if people don't like Halo 4 or 5. I am curious to hear reasons for why they have "bad writing".
ronnie42 wrote:
Firstly this, this, this....I could go all day on why the designs are bad, inconsistent like how the Elites behave nothing like Elites in classic Halo and end up looking like a sub-species of the Brutes. Literally nothing about modern Halo designs looks like there part of the same species.
This amounts to nothing more than opinions, and doesn't prove that they're "different species".

Quote:
As for Prometheans........they don't even match the original concept's either and widely inconsistent with their general designs and is not believable.
There is no original concept for Prometheans prior to Halo 4. So you've nothing to go on there. With this, the aesthetic style for Promethean Warrior-Servants and their creations remains consistent. In fact, the third video that you link (Late Night Gaming's video) explicitly says that the Forerunner designs remain faithful to Bungie's original vision, just with better graphics.

Quote:
To be blunt...if you have a problem that many people didn't like what happened then that's your 'opinion'...that doesn't mean I, others have to like or agree with you.
The exact same follows for everything you list as a "problem" or "bad". I don't care if people don't like Halo 4 or 5. I am curious to hear reasons for why they have "bad writing".
  • Firstly you're missing the point....343i have claimed there's sub-species, that's just a fact made canon in Halo since HW2...what's weird is even though this fact exists...the Arbiter looks nothing like his counter part, that's part of the reason why so many say they looked nothing like the same species.
  • 2ndly what you said is not true....there's plenty of concept out there like this, this, and this but little harder due to find due the quantity of concept.
  • I, many others have given reasons why we dislike it....and if you don't understand them then I'm not sure you ever will since I've given obvious examples and included popular video's that explain in-depth, you dismissed them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8