Secret dialog from Cortana in trailer

OP HaloCrysisKIA88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. ...
  6. 8
I think people are so blinded with dislike for 343 that they're failing to see the parallels between what's happening now and the actions of Mendicant Bias to the Forerunners. Especially now that we apparently have a "good Cortana", this mirrors the creation and deployment of Offensive Bias.
If we have a new "good" cortana, and it's a reference towards MB and OB, I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if people do not like that direction, repeating History, I certainly don't like it.
I suppose it's a fair explanation, but I still don't like it. Cortana finding the Domain was just too convenient, and damage control by Frankie didn't help matters. Calling us "young fans" who didn't understand "subtlety or nuance" isn't really on. You had the ad campaign as well, which frankly was way better than the final product. To the point it misled a lot of people. Including me.
There are a lot of things in Halo that could be considered "convenient". Cortana finding the Domain isn't any more extravagant, expecially considering the mechanics of Forerunner ships in conjunction with the Domain. As for Frankie's comment... Where was that said?

The ad campaign... Gods, what a mess. Not because of the campaign itself - it was no worse than any other ad campaign or ARG - but because the fanbase took it too seriously, and seem to have confused the purpose of ads versus trailers. The ads "mislead" people only in so much as was brought on by those "mislead" themselves.

Naqser wrote:
If we have a new "good" cortana, and it's a reference towards MB and OB, I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if people do not like that direction, repeating History, I certainly don't like it.
And yet History does repeat itself, quite often. Only this time, we'd be participating in the similarity event, rather than just knowing about it. I'd be more surprised if people even got the reference, as most fans seem to be lacking in the Lore department, instead relying on events to be told to them purely through gameplay.
As for Frankie's comment... Where was that said?

The ad campaign... Gods, what a mess. Not because of the campaign itself - it was no worse than any other ad campaign or ARG - but because the fanbase took it too seriously, and seem to have confused the purpose of ads versus trailers. The ads "mislead" people only in so much as was brought on by those "mislead" themselves.
I believe Frankie made that comment on NeoGAF and to no one's surprise it was not received well. Sorry I can't bring up the link, but it made quite the commotion here on the forums.

The ad campaign was at fault, not the community so much so that Microsoft and 343 changed their whole approach to creating future marketing campaigns. Halo Wars 2's ads were much more lighthearted and better at tempering expectations for the consumer.
The ad campaign was at fault, not the community so much so that Microsoft and 343 changed their whole approach to creating future marketing campaigns.
Or did they change the approach to future campaigns because the fanbase obviously can't take it from 343 Industries? You linked me an opinion piece, not facts. I would argue that the fact is that Halo 5's ad campaign was no more misleading than the ad campaign for Halo 2 or Halo 3. If those ad campaigns were taken as truth, then in Halo 2 we should have fought for the defence of Earth, not spent two campaign missions there and then galavanting off to another Halo Ring. In Halo 3 the Chief should have died. But these things didn't happen, because ad campaigns aren't trailers.
The ad campaign was at fault, not the community so much so that Microsoft and 343 changed their whole approach to creating future marketing campaigns.
Or did they change the approach to future campaigns because the fanbase obviously can't take it from 343 Industries? You linked me an opinion piece, not facts. I would argue that the fact is that Halo 5's ad campaign was no more misleading than the ad campaign for Halo 2 or Halo 3. If those ad campaigns were taken as truth, then in Halo 2 we should have fought for the defence of Earth, not spent two campaign missions there and then galavanting off to another Halo Ring. In Halo 3 the Chief should have died. But these things didn't happen, because ad campaigns aren't trailers.
Sure its an opinion piece, but it does a good job at making a case against the ad campaign and from what I saw 3.3K comments seem to agree. Out of all my time on the forums this is the only instance off the top of my head I can think of anyone blaming consumers for Halo 5's poorly received campaign. The production quality was pretty good, but it lacked a connection to the campaign that previous ads did have. Halo 3 teased the idea of the Master Cheif's death, but in actuality was MIA in space which in hindsight was very well done considering how little effects or props that were used. If we want to talk facts Halo 2 and Halo 3's ad campaigns were not universally disliked by the community where as Halo 5's was blasted for being misleading and settings these expectations that were not there.
The production quality was pretty good, but it lacked a connection to the campaign that previous ads did have. Halo 3 teased the idea of the Master Cheif's death, but in actuality was MIA in space which in hindsight was very well done considering how little effects or props that were used. If we want to talk facts Halo 2 and Halo 3's ad campaigns were not universally disliked by the community where as Halo 5's was blasted for being misleading and settings these expectations that were not there.
And I think that stems from people's unwillingness to accept 343 Industries.

The Halo 5 ads displayed:
  • Guardians causing destruction to colonies. This happened.
  • Chief and Locke in rivalry. This happened.
  • Chief being a possible "traitor". This happened through going AWOL.
Did I miss anything?

Similarly, Halo 3's ad campaign teased John-117 dying. Not going MIA at the very end of the game, but dying in defense of Earth against overwhelming odds. Though the game spends the first 6 levels on Earth, neither do we see the massive battle for Earth that has been pitched for the last two games. We defend one base, travel along a highway, and flee the planet when the Flood arrives. Halo 2 is the same. We don't see the massive battle for Earth that the ads pitch. Not in the same scope, certainly.

Those ads aren't universally disliked, perhaps, because people understood ads a bit better back then. We didn't expect to have everything handed to us, explained outright, with no mystery to discover. Disagree all you will, but if Frankie said anything like that regarding people's reactions to the ad campaign... Well, gotta say I agree.
Naqser wrote:
I think people are so blinded with dislike for 343 that they're failing to see the parallels between what's happening now and the actions of Mendicant Bias to the Forerunners. Especially now that we apparently have a "good Cortana", this mirrors the creation and deployment of Offensive Bias.
I mean, how many times did we have to tear down a convoluted path in a Warthog, then jump off of something, into something, at the absolute last possible second? History repeats in Halo came long before 343i.
Bacon, that's literally not worth addressing any further. She was shot directly in the spine five times, with foot-long spikes. She is an unaugmented, standard human; that will kill. Not only this, but Miranda was honored at the memorial, posthumously (after death) received the Legion of Honor, and was mourned by her mother. She is bloody well dead.
This is what I was afraid of when 343i brought Cortana back. Death now means nothing in the Halo universe. People are questioning whether Johnson or Miranda, who we very clearly saw die, are truly dead. There is also speculation about the fate of Noble Six, who is confirmed dead and whom we saw die on Reach. Next there’s gonna be people claiming the Rookie is still alive somehow. See what I mean? Cortana’s return has corrupted the finality of death in Halo. Any character can now return from death, no matter how convoluted the means.
This is not 343 it's just imagination run wild. I was thinking about how messed up it would be if she came back in a wheelchair.
Bacon, that's literally not worth addressing any further. She was shot directly in the spine five times, with foot-long spikes. She is an unaugmented, standard human; that will kill. Not only this, but Miranda was honored at the memorial, posthumously (after death) received the Legion of Honor, and was mourned by her mother. She is bloody well dead.
This is what I was afraid of when 343i brought Cortana back. Death now means nothing in the Halo universe. People are questioning whether Johnson or Miranda, who we very clearly saw die, are truly dead. There is also speculation about the fate of Noble Six, who is confirmed dead and whom we saw die on Reach. Next there’s gonna be people claiming the Rookie is still alive somehow. See what I mean? Cortana’s return has corrupted the finality of death in Halo. Any character can now return from death, no matter how convoluted the means.
This is preposterous. For starters, we don't even fully understand WHAT happened to Cortana at the end of Halo 4, or how it allowed her to survive into Halo 5 - which itself is still just an assumption, considering now she's spouting lines from the Didact, and has gone off the deep end. Is it Cortana? Is it part of Cortana? Is it something assuming Cortana's form? Is it something combined with Cortana? Who knows!

For two, unlike Johnson or anyone else, Cortana is a purely digital being, who was connected with the digital Forerunner Domain. The concept of "death" isn't even the same for an AI, versus a human being. Heck, before Halo 4 introduced "rampancy", we had no reason not to assume that AI's just "lived" forever

Lastly, we've already had two characters survive in goofy/"convenient" circumstances - Johnson and 343 Guilty Spark - so wringing our hands about the one character who technically isn't dependent on a "body" to survive in the first place, seems a bit silly.
On another note, its pretty amazing how this person found it. I believe it was found by the Twitter user xepyal. Thats some ONI level stuff lol
You ever see how JackFrags the Youtuber found the Easter eggs for Battlefield 4 and 1? If not you should definitely check it out. Lol, lot harder than what the person did. But it’s still impressive, and no doubt I wouldn’t even know where to start (besides YouTube) on what to do if I found something like that.
This is preposterous. For starters, we don't even fully understand WHAT happened to Cortana at the end of Halo 4, or how it allowed her to survive into Halo 5 - which itself is still just an assumption, considering now she's spouting lines from the Didact, and has gone off the deep end. Is it Cortana? Is it part of Cortana? Is it something assuming Cortana's form? Is it something combined with Cortana? Who knows!

For two, unlike Johnson or anyone else, Cortana is a purely digital being, who was connected with the digital Forerunner Domain. The concept of "death" isn't even the same for an AI, versus a human being. Heck, before Halo 4 introduced "rampancy", we had no reason not to assume that AI's just "lived" forever

Lastly, we've already had two characters survive in goofy/"convenient" circumstances - Johnson and 343 Guilty Spark - so wringing our hands about the one character who technically isn't dependent on a "body" to survive in the first place, seems a bit silly.
Don’t forget Chips Dubbo!

https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Chips_Dubbo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MmD6keX3pBk
Heck, before Halo 4 introduced "rampancy", we had no reason not to assume that AI's just "lived" forever
I think rampancy has been a thing since The Fall of Reach.
Heck, before Halo 4 introduced "rampancy", we had no reason not to assume that AI's just "lived" forever
I think rampancy has been a thing since The Fall of Reach.
Been a while since I read that book. I have no specific recollection of it being mentioned before Halo 4 (not saying that recollection is accurate, haha).
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. ...
  6. 8