Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Sergeant Johnson

OP SkeeDinski13

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I've heard discussions as of late that the fanbase wants Johnson back in the game. This is something I am strongly opposed to. This franchise needs to retain its roots while actually growing. It needs to cycle characters in and out, not retaining the same characters. Keeping old characters w/o adding new, fresh character development WILL lead to stagnation in a franchise that desperately needs to be a leader in the FPS industry. 343 needs to respect the old while crafting something new, and I strongly believe Johnson would violate this.
I agree with you OP. But there might be a way to bridge the gap. A possibility I've heard from a Youtuber (maybe LNG?) is that we could have a supporting character that is the son of Johnson. If you read Contact Harvest, you know about the ending where he and Jilian Al-Cygnia hook up. So it could be interesting to find out that she had a child who grew up to become an ODST or even a Spartan-IV. Then he could have similar character traits to Johnson and serve a similar role.

I think this idea could serve to bring back the essence of Johnson in a more realistic way while still moving the series forward.
If you read Contact Harvest, you know about the ending where he and Jilian Al-Cygnia hook up. So it could be interesting to find out that she had a child who grew up to become an ODST or even a Spartan-IV. Then he could have similar character traits to Johnson and serve a similar role.
Mind equals = blown, halo is lore is so expansive! God damn
I agree. If they brought Johnson back somehow it would just feel forced and would be a huge disservice to his death in halo 3. I wouldn’t mind if he has a son who’s in the game however.
Disagree...just bring him back as AI if they have to. At the very least be interesting to have him as a multiplayer only voice pack or a custom non-canon option character in campaign/firefight.
I've heard discussions as of late that the fanbase wants Johnson back in the game. This is something I am strongly opposed to. This franchise needs to retain its roots while actually growing. It needs to cycle characters in and out, not retaining the same characters. Keeping old characters w/o adding new, fresh character development WILL lead to stagnation in a franchise that desperately needs to be a leader in the FPS industry. 343 needs to respect the old while crafting something new, and I strongly believe Johnson would violate this.
I disagree I think if they had sgt Johnson come back with a crazy back story I would love to see him again. Obviously he died. I agree on some of your things about new characters though. Good thought.
Honestly a son would probably be the best route. No convoluted explanation, he's a guy, he had a son, they are somewhat similar but different enough to be their own character.

Johnson himself died like 3 times over in halo 3, falling, halo pulse, ring exploding. All three likely meant his brain didn't survive either, not to mention it wouldn't be well preserved.
ronnie42 wrote:
Disagree...just bring him back as AI if they have to. At the very least be interesting to have him as a multiplayer only voice pack or a custom non-canon option character in campaign/firefight.
I was thinking the same thing too. They could end up doing a voice pack for him. To bring him up in current events would just be odd as a playable character...
No, they have to leave him dead. Bringing back fan favorites is a disservice to the story. Death won't feel as impactful if they just keep bringing people back. One thing that keeps stories good is the idea that anyone can die. You can get a "Johnson" back but make it his son. Have him his own character, but every now and again have him say or do something that is deja vu of his father.
Bringing Johnson back as an AI wouldn't be the same and the son idea could work but I feel like it also wouldn't be the same. It's best to leave Johnson the way he is dead. It would do the man a disservice by bringing him back in some form or fashion.

I would rather see Johnson brought back in a spin off Halo game that takes place during the events of Contact Harvest.
ronnie42 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing too. They could end up doing a voice pack for him. To bring him up in current events would just be odd as a playable character...
Yeh exactly, like what happened with Odst plus Halo 5 has a voice pack where we can listen to Nathan Fillion aka Buck so maybe they could do something similar for Halo Infinite.

USCRuss72 wrote:
Bringing Johnson back as an AI wouldn't be the same and the son idea could work but I feel like it also wouldn't be the same. It's best to leave Johnson the way he is dead. It would do the man a disservice by bringing him back in some form or fashion.

I would rather see Johnson brought back in a spin off Halo game that takes place during the events of Contact Harvest.
Not sure it would work. It kind of sounds like some would think the 'son' idea what auto-work but we don't know how that would work or if the character would be as interesting. Maybe the best choice would be sticking to the AI since it would mean he could sort of exist in his own way without messing with lore much.
ronnie42 wrote:
Not sure it would work. It kind of sounds like some would think the 'son' idea what auto-work but we don't know how that would work or if the character would be as interesting. Maybe the best choice would be sticking to the AI since it would mean he could sort of exist in his own way without messing with lore much.
\

The son wouldn't auto-work, but I think it'd fit the best if people want a 'johnson'.

I don't see how an AI would be any better. Smart AI's are not perfect copies of their originators, they sometimes have some quirks and traits but they're their own person. Cortana isn't Halsey, she shares some similarities but she's not much different than a daughter.

You also have the lore issue of how they made an AI of johnson. It's unlikely his brain survive falling down a giant shaft, into a charging halo beam, on an exploding halo, then sitting around for a few months/years in a preservable state for someone to come back and use it to make a smart AI.
ronnie42 wrote:
\

The son wouldn't auto-work, but I think it'd fit the best if people want a 'johnson'.

I don't see how an AI would be any better. Smart AI's are not perfect copies of their originators, they sometimes have some quirks and traits but they're their own person. Cortana isn't Halsey, she shares some similarities but she's not much different than a daughter.

You also have the lore issue of how they made an AI of johnson. It's unlikely his brain survive falling down a giant shaft, into a charging halo beam, on an exploding halo, then sitting around for a few months/years in a preservable state for someone to come back and use it to make a smart AI.
The AI would just be an excuse to have him in some form...it would help give an excuse for having his voice become canon in multiplayer via voice.
Of course Halsey isn't Cortana but that's because of the way she was designed and if Halsey wanted to then she could have easily created a Halsey AI that believed she was the same person. Look at Star Trek for example...we have AI like the Doctor that is different to Lewis Zimmerman (creator) with a very different personality while they have Holodecks that have AI that are mostly a closer resemblance to their original counterpart. Plus if I recall I believe the multiplayer was supposed to be canon being a sort of Holodeck. In some cases the AI could have a more closer personality with minor changes like Vic Fontaine hologram from ds9 where the personality was more like his original counterpart, yet still made his own decisions. I'm sure the technology could be improved and they could fabricate the personality into an AI.

As for Johnson's son I'm not sure it would work...really depends on the personality of the character. It seemed to work with Miranda Keyes but don't think everyone's son/daughter would automatically join the military.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
\

The AI would just be an excuse to have him in some form...it would help give an excuse for having his voice become canon in multiplayer via voice.
Of course Halsey isn't Cortana but that's because of the way she was designed and if Halsey wanted to then she could have easily created a Halsey AI that believed she was the same person. Look at Star Trek for example...we have AI like the Doctor that is different to Lewis Zimmerman (creator) with a very different personality while they have Holodecks that have AI that are mostly a closer resemblance to their original counterpart. Plus if I recall I believe the multiplayer was supposed to be canon being a sort of Holodeck. In some cases the AI could have a more closer personality with minor changes like Vic Fontaine hologram from ds9 where the personality was more like his original counterpart, yet still made his own decisions. I'm sure the technology could be improved and they could fabricate the personality into an AI.

As for Johnson's son I'm not sure it would work...really depends on the personality of the character. It seemed to work with Miranda Keyes but don't think everyone's son/daughter would automatically join the military.
Maybe he doesn't need to be in the UNSC. Maybe he is a mercenary or leading an outer rim colony somewhere by Harvest.
I agree with you OP. But there might be a way to bridge the gap. A possibility I've heard from a Youtuber (maybe LNG?) is that we could have a supporting character that is the son of Johnson. If you read Contact Harvest, you know about the ending where he and Jilian Al-Cygnia hook up. So it could be interesting to find out that she had a child who grew up to become an ODST or even a Spartan-IV. Then he could have similar character traits to Johnson and serve a similar role.

I think this idea could serve to bring back the essence of Johnson in a more realistic way while still moving the series forward.
I had no idea Johnson was married... apparently in Halo 2 he talks about a mother in law! Lol

Spoiler:
Show
sniper945 wrote:

I had no idea Johnson was married... apparently in Halo 2 he talks about a mother in law! Lol

Spoiler:
Show
Oh no, to my knowledge Johnson was never married. He just hooked up with Jilian after they survived the events of Contact Harvest.
I want a prequel with Johnson, it'd be fantastic!
He died a hero, no way should they bring him back. His son as a Spartan? Sure! That'd be the best way to do it.
ronnie42 wrote:
I can't think of anything worse than bringing Johnson back as an AI. What a way to destroy his character! Let dead characters stay dead. I don't want Halo to become another franchise in which death holds no meaning.
Didn't Johnson die more than a few times in CE, even the legendary ending there's no way he could of survived.
There isn't a logical viable explanation except bungie didn't take itself or the game to seriously.
Whilst I enjoyed his character as cliche as it was, it had its time. Comic relief is important in all stories but there are plenty of unique ways to do it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2