Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Shield-Breaking-Animation too bright/cartoonish

OP eV Deadline

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello,
the title should sum up my concernes about H6/HI pretty good. Nethertheless I tink some explanation might be required:
I realy liked the pase, HI took since the first gameplay reveal. Graphics seem fixed and the Multiplayer reveal on YT seemed pretty solid (much better than the over-coreographed E3-gameplay).
The only think about the Videos I was going "what the hack" about was the bright yellow flash of a colapsing shield, My two main arguments are the ones displayed here:

1. To me, a shield that is loosing its power should not increase its radiation-output, it should just turn off and fade away. I asume it is designed to visualise for all players, that the target is now vulnerable - that could also be accomplished, if the bright effect focuses on the bodypart of the last hit, as if it would gather the remaining power to save that spot, rather that lighting up every part of the body. - This variation would make much more sence lore-wise. Leading up to argument #2
  2. I can not remember any point in my time with Halo (estimated above 15k matchmaking games), that a breaking shield was indicated with such a enourmouse flash of light.Sure, they flickered and the static electricity was noticable, but it always seemed natural. Remember the beloved rusty look of HR? Dirty, war-thornoff colours, reflecting the battlefield and warzone that formed the characters themselfs? Flickering lights and bright coloury flashes belong in Fortnite or other genre of games, but not Halo Multiplayer.
I hope some of you can follow the point of view I tried to display here. It might seem to be a minor detail, but the feeling of multiplayer might be havily effected by such a thing as overdone effects.
Have a nice day folks.
Hello,
the title should sum up my concernes about H6/HI pretty good. Nethertheless I tink some explanation might be required:
I realy liked the pase, HI took since the first gameplay reveal. Graphics seem fixed and the Multiplayer reveal on YT seemed pretty solid (much better than the over-coreographed E3-gameplay).
The only think about the Videos I was going "what the hack" about was the bright yellow flash of a colapsing shield, My two main arguments are the ones displayed here:

1. To me, a shield that is loosing its power should not increase its radiation-output, it should just turn off and fade away. I asume it is designed to visualise for all players, that the target is now vulnerable - that could also be accomplished, if the bright effect focuses on the bodypart of the last hit, as if it would gather the remaining power to save that spot, rather that lighting up every part of the body. - This variation would make much more sence lore-wise. Leading up to argument #2
  2. I can not remember any point in my time with Halo (estimated above 15k matchmaking games), that a breaking shield was indicated with such a enourmouse flash of light.Sure, they flickered and the static electricity was noticable, but it always seemed natural. Remember the beloved rusty look of HR? Dirty, war-thornoff colours, reflecting the battlefield and warzone that formed the characters themselfs? Flickering lights and bright coloury flashes belong in Fortnite or other genre of games, but not Halo Multiplayer.
I hope some of you can follow the point of view I tried to display here. It might seem to be a minor detail, but the feeling of multiplayer might be havily effected by such a thing as overdone effects.
Have a nice day folks.
I am sure they will continue tuning it. It may be a bug as well since it was inconsistent in the gameplay they showed.
I agree, that was the first thing I noticed I didn't really like. Even H5 which had a very saturated colour pallet looked a lot better in terms of the shield flare in my opinion. The colour needs to be less vibrant and the effect needs to be toned down a bit. I do love the fact that the shield lights up where you're shooting though, that's very cool.
Hogwash. The loss of shields has literally ALWAYS been bright, yellow flash. It might be brighter in Infinite by a small margin, but it's always been bright mate. Look at any past Halo game and you can see it. When you're in actual gameplay it probably will be harder to notice. if anything isn't that something you're supposed to see for gameplay purposes? I'd like to know when my enemy loses shields, that's important info

And it should go without saying that Halo Reach is unique in it's color palette. Halo Infinite does not follow the same exact palette, I don't really follow how having the shields be a shade brighter makes the game look like Fortnite either. Like, I get it. I'm not saying the shields aren't bright af because they very much are, I just don't think it's a gamebreaking deal
I hope you're in the minority here because most of the new gameplay aesthetics are for in-game feedback. The visuals need to reflect what is happening. That is why in Infnite's gameplay you can see how bright the heads glow upon landing headshots on targets. I hated the hexagonal regeneration effect but it has since been toned down and overall I'm pleased with all of the visuals.
The shield has always output more visibly under fire. Its more pronounced now for 2 reasons.

1. It is contained to where on the spartan you land shots.

2. The red vs blue of classic mp is gone. We now have outlines of red or blue like the odst or Spartan III visr hud function. This likely forced them to rethink the shield aesthetics for gameplay reasons.

It will be improved over time I'm sure. But I'll take function over form any day.
it looks different, so it catches ur eye, but i think once we get our hands on it, it will better overall. Sometimes its hard to tell when someone shields have broke if there really far away, this should fix any of those issues, and in game after a bunch of games i think u wont even care anymore.
I agree, far too eye-catching and distracting in a competitive environment. Thankfully, it is more than likely a simple fix that could be already implemented for all we know.
I actually love the new shield flare, it's some of the best visual feedback for hit shots, with the placement of the hit flashing the brightest! It really goes to show how useless the hitmarkers are with the shield flare providing plenty of visual feedback, IMO.
Modod wrote:
The shield has always output more visibly under fire. Its more pronounced now for 2 reasons.

2. The red vs blue of classic mp is gone. We now have outlines of red or blue like the odst or Spartan III visr hud function. This likely forced them to rethink the shield aesthetics for gameplay reasons.

It will be improved over time I'm sure. But I'll take function over form any day.
I'd imagine part of it is now its actually casting light as opposed to just being a particle effect.
Modod wrote:

I'd imagine part of it is now its actually casting light as opposed to just being a particle effect.
I liked how pronounced the flash of light was when the enemy shields broke. Like others have said, the shield has always flashed its brightest when they broke, although in the Infinite gameplay they've shown so far it does appear to be the brightest it has ever been. I do think part of that is the fact that the shields seem to emit its own real time lighting instead of being a more static effect. You can see this in the multiplayer overview when they show someone using the Overshield in first person. At around 3:55 in that video, you can see when the player activates OS it actually lights up the underside of the AR they are holding as well. Either way I personally like how bright it is because in a crowded gunfight you can easily pick out who is weak and have the ability to choose to focus that person if you so wanted to.
Modod wrote:

This. Gameplay feedback is probably the most important aspect of stuff like shield break animations. Its there first and foremost as an indicator to players, and secondarily as a canonical personal shield on your spartan.
Rancheroni wrote:
I actually love the new shield flare, it's some of the best visual feedback for hit shots, with the placement of the hit flashing the brightest! It really goes to show how useless the hitmarkers are with the shield flare providing plenty of visual feedback, IMO.
I think that hitmarkers are still important visual feedback. If you see someone on your motion tracker that’s around a corner and throw a grenade, you should have some visual feedback to see if it did any damage and know that your caution was well-placed. The new weapon, the needle shotgun thing that can do bank-shots, probably has an un-charged mode that bounces around corners and doesn’t instant-kill; the hit markers would be useful there, too. Or if you’re going up against a heavy vehicle like a Scorpion or Wraith with a Warthog chaingun, and need indication that yes, you are doing damage over time alongside the usual armor sparking and popping off at certain damage thresholds. Or a Banshee or Wasp you lock onto with a rocket and fire-and-forget to focus on other enemies at hand, and seeing the red killed/destroyed hit marker 5 seconds later.
Yeah it may not be as jarring in actual game play...

As opposed to close up slow-mo action in a trailer.

And it's something that can easily be tweaked by 343 after feedback... Or maybe even have customisable options for each player.
Yeah, one of the few things I can say I want changed at this point in time.
Hello,

Have a nice day folks.
I liked the static electricity, it made sense knowing that it was a "shield breaking" and was noticeable enough without being too in yo0ur face.
I agree. It is way too distracting.
Agreed, but it will probably be tuned before flights start. Just look at the difference the shield restoration vizualisation is now compared to the campaign; Very smooth and not those big distracting floating hexacons floating in you screen.
Hello,

Have a nice day folks.
This is fair point - it does look a little in your face bright. That said we’ve only seen it in video and I’m interested to see how the effect holds up in person.
I'm starting to get tired of reading how the same argument "Looks Fortnite" or "Looks CoD" is always used to criticize things that have been in Halo for 20 years.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2