Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Should Halo Infinite (Single Player) be delayed?

OP Skylakeone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Now that we know the campaign is the entire $60 asking price of Halo Infinite, we have to begin judging it on its own. Not as a bundle of SP and MP but rather an open-world SP game.

Previously, there were rumors that MP would launch after the SP campaign. People said that this would be completely unacceptable for a Halo game. The calculus has shifted, however. It doesn't really matter when the MP comes out now since it's a separate product, and a free one too.

This brings me to the SP campaign. What we saw in the demo looked very rough, and next-gen features like ray-tracing are confirmed to arrive at an unannounced future date. My fear now is that development of the SP experience is being jeopardized by 343's ambitious free-to-play multiplayer. If the campaign is to stand on its own, I don't think it's acceptable to say that patches are coming in the future.

If 343 can't prove that Halo Infinite will be fixed by the launch date, then it's only right for them to delay the release of the SP game. The MP can be the big launch title for Xbox Series X, but the SP has to be complete on day one.
Do you really think people are going to buy a next gen console at launch for a free to play game with no campaign?

It won’t be delayed, it HAS to come out with the campaign.
Skylakeone wrote:
Now that we know the campaign is the entire $60 asking price of Halo Infinite, we have to begin judging it on its own. Not as a bundle of SP and MP but rather an open-world SP game.

Previously, there were rumors that MP would launch after the SP campaign. People said that this would be completely unacceptable for a Halo game. The calculus has shifted, however. It doesn't really matter when the MP comes out now since it's a separate product, and a free one too.

This brings me to the SP campaign. What we saw in the demo looked very rough, and next-gen features like ray-tracing are confirmed to arrive at an unannounced future date. My fear now is that development of the SP experience is being jeopardized by 343's ambitious free-to-play multiplayer. If the campaign is to stand on its own, I don't think it's acceptable to say that patches are coming in the future.

If 343 can't prove that Halo Infinite will be fixed by the launch date, then it's only right for them to delay the release of the SP game. The MP can be the big launch title for Xbox Series X, but the SP has to be complete on day one.
Wait, wait, wait, are you saying that i’ll have to buy a separate disc to play the MP?
Skylakeone wrote:

Wait, wait, wait, are you saying that i’ll have to buy a separate disc to play the MP?
Mm portion is a free stand alone. I imagine it will be digital only, as it is the online portion. If you prefer physical, the campaign you can get the disc version though!

Im indifferent. I already will have a ton to play on the series x once i get it so if it gets delayed, its delayed.
Im indifferent. I already will have a ton to play on the series x once i get it so if it gets delayed, its delayed.
Skylakeone wrote:

No. The MP of Halo Infinite will be free2play.

Apart from that, but that's just speculation on my side,
I can imagine that you'll need a Gold membership to play it,
unless the rumors about a potential removal of the Gold membership are true.
Skylakeone wrote:

It needs to be, but they won't do it. They have to have something to sell with Series X and they'll be bragging about how many people have played Infinite (always unique logins though. The number will be skewed in their favor).

That in itself is odd because every ounce of data points to Series X selling like crap, so you'd think quality would be the priority. Especially since Phil dgaf about selling consoles anymore.
Do you really think people are going to buy a next gen console at launch for a free to play game with no campaign?It won’t be delayed, it HAS to come out with the campaign.

There are many other compelling reasons to buy an Xbox Series X, not everyone will be interested in Halo.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Skylakeone wrote:

Let’s hope!(but seriously, is MP going to be included in the campaign disc or not?)
Yes. For the July gameplay reveal that was only "weeks old". So a recent build. The game looks nowhere near ready to release in 3-4 months.

Halo: Reach graphics look better....
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Skylakeone wrote:

Let’s hope!(but seriously, is MP going to be included in the campaign disc or not?)
This is currently unknown.
Since the MP will be F2P, I suppose it will be digital only,
but we'll have to wait and see.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Skylakeone wrote:

This is currently unknown.
Since the MP will be F2P, I suppose it will be digital only,
but we'll have to wait and see.
Indeed. My guess is that a physical disc version will only be for the Halo: Infinite campaign.
I don’t think delayed use best, as 343 is the developer and should know how it is proceeding along. If the final product is crap then we should judge Infinite but the games seems to be functioning fine at this point in time.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
I don’t think delayed use best, as 343 is the developer and should know how it is proceeding along. If the final product is crap then we should judge Infinite but the games seems to be functioning fine at this point in time.
343 don't have choice in the matter. Microsoft are the ones who have the final say for whether or not they can have more development time.

In this case 343 likely have to meet the deadline for Xbox Series X release date. And this is why they have yet to announce a release date. Because Halo: Infinite's release date will coincide with the launch of the Xbox Series X.

PS. A release date should be announced sometime this month for Series X.
Do you really think people are going to buy a next gen console at launch for a free to play game with no campaign?It won’t be delayed, it HAS to come out with the campaign.

There are many other compelling reasons to buy an Xbox Series X, not everyone will be interested in Halo.
To be honest, not for me, there’s nothing at the moment that makes me want to buy a series x, at least not at launch.

Maybe in a couple of years though.
There is definitely a comprise situation where they could delay only the campaign but release the multiplayer.
Don't believe it's been confirmed that you'll be paying 60 bucks for campaign.
Not yet anyway.

I'm honestly surprised the game is not even available for preorder yet with only a few months until possible release.
Not yet anyway.

I'm honestly surprised the game is not even available for preorder yet with only a few months until possible release.
I'd be surprised if they asked 60 for campaign only, just because that's virtually unheard of in the industry. Pre-orders are probably waiting till XSX release date and pre-orders are up as well. For better or worse Infinite's marketing and release is tied to that console.
Do you really think people are going to buy a next gen console at launch for a free to play game with no campaign?

It won’t be delayed, it HAS to come out with the campaign.
I doubt many will want to bother buying an Xbox Series X for Halo: Infinite after the graphics displayed on that showcase.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2