Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Should REQ weapon variants return in Infinite?

OP StuftRock1

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Title

When I first heard the idea of weapon variants in Halo 5, I absolutely hated it because my first thought was that it would be like Destiny and that Halo’s amazing simple sandbox would turn into an over cluttered mess. Turns out my fears were justified because that is exactly what happened.

Subtle weapon upgrades isn’t the way to properly do variants. Like, why would anyone ever go with a SPNKR Rocket Launcher when SPNKR EM is available? Why would anyone go with a Lawgiver when Blaze of Glory is available?

The way to do variants and make them cool is to change the way they behave a little bit, but not in a way that makes them obviously more powerful than the other. And don’t try to pump out variants as if every single weapon must have 2 REQ variants. There’s nothing wrong with some weapons having none while others have like 5.

The regular blue Plasma Rifle and Brute Plasma Rifle are a perfect example of how variants should be done. The blue Plasma Rifle is the standard, while the Brute version does slightly more damage, but overheats faster. There’s still a reason to choose the blue one over the red one.

And also, don’t write the lore to fit the weapons, write the weapons to fit the lore. There is a very good explanation as to why there is a red and blue Plasma Rifle, and that explanation in no way feels forced upon the lore. In fact it makes perfect sense considering Halo 2’s story. Halo 5 gives no explanation as to why most of its weapon variants exist. They just do.

So I personally believe all of the weapon variants should be removed except the mythic weapons. Unlike everything else, the mythic weapons have an established place in the lore (with the exception of Tartarus’ Gavel and SPNKR Prime. Remove those too.) It’d be amazing imo if they could just completely retcon them out of existence, but I’d also be ok with them writing them off as prototypes, blueprints, or experimental testbeds.

Doing this would also open up the door to power weapon skins, and I would love it if they could copy the REQ paints over, as some of them are really beautiful.

TL;DR: Remove everything except Prophets’ Bane, Whispered Truth, Halo CE Magnum, Oathsworn, Nornfang, and Jorge’s Chaingun.
I'm not too familiar with the minutiae of the REQ system but to me excessive weapon variants have a nasty habit of unsettling game balance and adding clutter, as you've said. There are plenty of games that benefit from having a treasure trove of weapons to choose from, but the Halo series has stayed relevant since its inception in part due to its modest and unique selection; I can go back to CE and enjoy its gunplay just as much now as I did back then because every weapon feels different and useful in its own way. Halo 5 seems to prioritize quantity over ensuring every item has its own place in the sandbox.

While unbalanced weapons are bad enough on their own, they're even worse when microtransactions are involved. I'm a staunch supporter of the notion that microtransactions should never provide players with a gameplay advantage and should instead be limited to inconsequential things such as cosmetics. Reward skill and effort, not the willingness to pay more.

I'm not saying major changes are always bad but I hope that Infinite will take more inspiration from the original series than its predecessor.
Sometimes the best way forward is to go back.
I'm not too familiar with the minutiae of the REQ system but to me excessive weapon variants have a nasty habit of unsettling game balance and adding clutter, as you've said. There are plenty of games that benefit from having a treasure trove of weapons to choose from, but the Halo series has stayed relevant since its inception in part due to its modest and unique selection; I can go back to CE and enjoy its gunplay just as much now as I did back then because every weapon feels different and useful in its own way. Halo 5 seems to prioritize quantity over ensuring every item has its own place in the sandbox.

While unbalanced weapons are bad enough on their own, they're even worse when microtransactions are involved. I'm a staunch supporter of the notion that microtransactions should never provide players with a gameplay advantage and should instead be limited to inconsequential things such as cosmetics. Reward skill and effort, not the willingness to pay more.

I'm not saying major changes are always bad but I hope that Infinite will take more inspiration from the original series than its predecessor.
Sometimes the best way forward is to go back.
I agree. Halo having a simple sandbox has always been a bit of a staple.
I'd prefer just to have base models and that's it. As far as the lore behind all these weapons, isn't WZ a simulation? So most of these variants don't actually exist outside of WZ?
I don't want weapon variants at all. I agree with Fully Skully here. I think it's a waste of time. Heck, I hate the fact 343I decided that they had to make a new rocket launcher when we already had one.

If you want more weapons, vehicles, etc. Just put in all new ones. I'd rather have the sticky launcher, flamethrower or some other new weapon then 5 different versions of say the BR or Carbine or something...and as I've said in other posts, You could have weapons and vehicles exclusive to certain modes of play aka sticky launcher might only be in 4-4 play, calling down an orbital strike might only be in firefight and so on.

I really hope Halo 6 doesn't go the Halo 5 route again.
I don't want weapon variants at all. I agree with Fully Skully here. I think it's it's a waste of time. Heck, I hate the fact 343I decided that they had to make a new rocket launcher when we already had one.

If you want more weapons, vehicles, etc. Just put in all new ones. I'd rather have the sticky launcher, flamethrower or some other new weapon then 5 different versions of say the BR or Carbine or something...and as I've said in other posts, You could have weapons and vehicles exclusive to certain modes of play aka sticky launcher might only be in 4-4 play, calling down an orbital strike might only be in firefight and so on.

I really hope Halo 6 doesn't go the Halo 5 route again.
Right. The fact that we got Blood of Suban instead of the Needle Rifle just screams laziness.
I'd prefer just to have base models and that's it. As far as the lore behind all these weapons, isn't WZ a simulation? So most of these variants don't actually exist outside of WZ?
Some of the variants have descriptions that hint of an existence outside the simulations. Krith’s Left Hand and Scale of Soirapt are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

And yes Warzone is a simulation.
I'm mostly against these making a return. They're interesting from a lore perspective, but they mess with one of the Halo sandbox's greatest traditional strengths by reducing its simplicity. Makes balancing a nightmarish mess (I know Warzone isn't meant to be the most supremely balanced mode in the world, but still) and just makes the whole experience feel needlessly complicated.
I felt h5 was too cluttered, keep it simple. If you want to add more detail/complexity or bombard the user with unlockables or packs i'd rather it be personal customisation.

Like personalising the entire sandbox and when you pick up a weapon it has your details, instead of picking up others junk. Even then thats just a preferred method than the clustertruck we currently have. Simple but meaningful would be better.
I felt h5 was too cluttered, keep it simple. If you want to add more detail/complexity or bombard the user with unlockables or packs i'd rather it be personal customisation.

Like personalising the entire sandbox and when you pick up a weapon it has your details, instead of picking up others junk. Even then thats just a preferred method than the clustertruck we currently have. Simple but meaningful would be better.
I agree completely. I don’t even touch loadout attachments in Warzone because it’s just an over complicated mess. I don’t care if the attachments give you an advantage I’m not dealing with that. The base Battle Rifle, base SMG, and base DMR will get me through the whole game.

Ill be pretty happy if they bring back all the req variants as simple weapon skins. Some of them are extremely beautiful and if I could get the Scale of Soirapt skin or Blood of Suban skin for completing the Brute Plasma Rifle and Carbine commendations, I’ll be using those weapons every single chance I get.
The variants, yes, the micro-transactions that come with them, no
Why exactly do you like the variants?
StuftRock1 wrote:
Well because of super fiesta, that game mode alone was always such a blast, plus it adds a lore factor, like some standard-issue weapons are modified to fit a certain purpose, like real life (sort of), not all weapons in real life are just stock weapons, they might be modified (legally or illegally), like a full-auto weapon might have explosive rounds for whatever reason.

But of course I can understand why you wouldn’t want the variants, it might be too hectic and crazy, sometimes it’s nice to just layback and have a calm and peaceful time in a match.

But of course I don’t want these weapons to be in every game mode, just their own controlled environment.
StuftRock1 wrote:
Well because of super fiesta, that game mode alone was always such a blast, plus it adds a lore factor, like some standard-issue weapons are modified to fit a certain purpose, like real life (sort of), not all weapons in real life are just stock weapons, they might be modified (legally or illegally), like a full-auto weapon might have explosive rounds for whatever reason.

But of course I can understand why you wouldn’t want the variants, it might be too hectic and crazy, sometimes it’s nice to just layback and have a calm and peaceful time in a match.

But of course I don’t want these weapons to be in every game mode, just their own controlled environment.
Ok, Super Fiesta is a pretty good argument to keep them in. I will agree that it is much more fun than regular Fiesta.

Going off of the lore standpoint however, why would the UNSC continue to manufacture standard SAWs when they have the Appetite for Destruction? Why would the Covenant and Swords of Sangheilios continue to make standard Storm Rifles when Fury is available? Why would the Brutes use the standard Brute Plasma Rifle when Sorrow of Teash is available? Blatant upgrades just don’t make any sense. There’s a reason the US Military phased out the M60 Patton when the M1 Abrams came out.

I will agree that weapon variants have the potential to be pretty cool if done correctly, but the execution in H5 was just so piss poor that I’d gladly give up Super Fiesta.
No because no. The variants are terrible and useless. They are literally screen clutter that add absolutely nothing to the game.
StuftRock1 wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:

Ok, Super Fiesta is a pretty good argument to keep them in. I will agree that it is much more fun than regular Fiesta.

Going off of the lore standpoint however, why would the UNSC continue to manufacture standard SAWs when they have the Appetite for Destruction? Why would the Covenant and Swords of Sangheilios continue to make standard Storm Rifles when Fury is available? Why would the Brutes use the standard Brute Plasma Rifle when Sorrow of Teash is available? Blatant upgrades just don’t make any sense. There’s a reason the US Military phased out the M60 Patton when the M1 Abrams came out.

I will agree that weapon variants have the potential to be pretty cool if done correctly, but the execution in H5 was just so piss poor that I’d gladly give up Super Fiesta.
Well in terms of the Appetite for destruction, fury, Sorrow of Teash, etc, there might only be one weapon like that or a small handful of modified weapons like that, (of course that would be a cheap excuse, but I have no other reasons), I've always seen these weapons as a "one of a kind" type of weapon(s), for example the boltshot varients, open hand and closed fist, belong to a forerunner (forgot his name), they were "his" weapons.
StuftRock1 wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:

Well in terms of the Appetite for destruction, fury, Sorrow of Teash, etc, there might only be one weapon like that or a small handful of modified weapons like that, (of course that would be a cheap excuse, but I have no other reasons), I've always seen these weapons as a "one of a kind" type of weapon(s), for example the boltshot varients, open hand and closed fist, belong to a forerunner (forgot his name), they were "his" weapons.
Ok so going off of the Boltshot, the Forerunners were in the middle of a huge war that they were losing, so if one of them had improved weaponry (Boltshot variants), it would be borderline treason to not share that technology with the rest of his race.

”One of a kind” type weapons only work if they were someone’s personal modified weapon like Buck’s Whispered Truth or Arbiter’s Prophets’ Bane, or if the weapon is a prototype, experiment, or blueprint. Something that isn’t quite ready for mass production and homologation.
Yea, but the forerunners' resources were limited (I'm guessing), I mean they were in a losing battle. Yea but apart from that your right.
Yea, but the forerunners' resources were limited (I'm guessing), I mean they were in a losing battle. Yea but apart from that your right.
Limited resources?? Those buggers built 2 whole a** arks and arrays of Halo rings!

They had all the resources.
I'd just like to have my primary's be primary's again and my secondary weapons be secondary weapons. Remember when you had a choice between AR, BR, DMR, Covenant Carbine, Plasma Rifle, Light Rifle, and Suppressor? Remember when you had a Pistol, Plasma Pistol, and Boltshot? I honestly miss those. All these Requisitions putting most weapons you used to be able to just spawn with out of reach unless you have a specific Req level in Warzone. That makes sense for power weapons, it makes no sense for base starter weapons.

I'm fine with the Req system, but they need to rework it quite a bit imo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3