Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Should there be a central mission pub? Concept.

OP SectionUnity

Thought of a concept, what if Halo Infinite became a conquest-like campaign instead of the traditional mission-to-mission design? Like you are in a central pub of the Infinity Bridge and you get to choose which mission you want to proceed? The difference of this and the tradition mission-to-mission design is that each mission in Infinite would compliment each other's difficulties. Example, completing one mission before the other would affect the difficulty of the next specific mission in a fixed way. The difficulty you set in the menu will always be the same. It will only be the changes from mission to mission would only affect small situations. Like not like stop a coming Scarab but more like a decrease in sniper jackals you face on that next specific mission.

Perhaps there could be side missions ops that could affect those priority missions as I stated. As new side missions would open up every time you complete a priority mission. It could separate the gameplay missions to the story missions. This conquest idea concept I thought of is a good way to organize missions than textbook A-Z missions and allow more variety and fun. There any flaws? Maybe I could explain in replies, I don't want to make a long boring forum.
I’m assuming you mean central *hub*, although, a central pub is a welcome establishment 😄

How would this affect level replay though? In every Halo game, including the semi-open ODST, players have been able to go back and replay every single level without any changes to the level whatsoever. It’s been an important aspect of Halo since you can enjoy the same level over and over for whatever reason, be that just replaying it, speed running, or going for achievements and collectibles.
I feel like if they did that there would have to be a linear set of main story missions and then they could add side missions in between those otherwise it'd mess up story delivery. I'm open but honestly as of right now I'd like it if they kept doing it the way it's been done so far.
tuhin94 wrote:
I’m assuming you mean central *hub*, although, a central pub is a welcome establishment 😄

How would this affect level replay though? In every Halo game, including the semi-open ODST, players have been able to go back and replay every single level without any changes to the level whatsoever. It’s been an important aspect of Halo since you can enjoy the same level over and over for whatever reason, be that just replaying it, speed running, or going for achievements and collectibles.
That is a flaw, im happy to say its still a concept idea I thought and I may have to think of it more thoroughly.
tuhin94 wrote:

That is a flaw, im happy to say its still a concept idea I thought and I may have to think of it more thoroughly.
For sure. I should have mentioned in my first post that I definitely think it's an appealing idea! It would make the gameplay specifically feel a lot more like one connected story with multiple chapters instead of like a collection of short stories. Only had the one thought come to mind about a potential issue is all.
Thought of a concept, what if Halo Infinite became a conquest-like campaign instead of the traditional mission-to-mission design? Like you are in a central pub of the Infinity Bridge and you get to choose which mission you want to proceed? The difference of this and the tradition mission-to-mission design is that each mission in Infinite would compliment each other's difficulties. Example, completing one mission before the other would affect the difficulty of the next specific mission in a fixed way. The difficulty you set in the menu will always be the same. It will only be the changes from mission to mission would only affect small situations. Like not like stop a coming Scarab but more like a decrease in sniper jackals you face on that next specific mission.

Perhaps there could be side missions ops that could affect those priority missions as I stated. As new side missions would open up every time you complete a priority mission. It could separate the gameplay missions to the story missions. This conquest idea concept I thought of is a good way to organize missions than textbook A-Z missions and allow more variety and fun. There any flaws? Maybe I could explain in replies, I don't want to make a long boring forum.
It’d be an interesting idea. You could for sure have like mission labeled main story or something to that effect. And then the others could be listed as optional, combat scenarios, etc. It’d be interesting to see how you could influence the main missions without giving away too much story. It could be a great way to integrate something like Spartan Ops or Firefight into the main hub and story. Perhaps they could have like Combat Situations where you could replay old battles throughout the Halo universe. This wouldn’t necessarily compliment or feed into the main story, more it’d just be additional content like Spartan Ops.
Not a bad idea. I don't mind the current formula though, so I'd rather things stay linear.
I thinknin case of mainline Halo games I prefer the usual storyline cut in missions with steady preset progress that tells the canon story.

Usually central hub is just a form of glorified menu in-between missions with no higher purpose unless there are side missions (preferably not in a game focused on the story of Master Chief) or some online aspects where you can just mess around with friends or even randoms.
It can work as a concept if there is enough sensible stuff put in it but I don't think the more important bits fit in a mainline Halo game.

Maybe on some spinoff later on instead of being aspect in Infinite.
Having played a few games with a central hub - Monster Hunter World chief among them - I wouldn't mind seeing one for Halo Infinite.
I have yet to see it properly executed and have no faith in 343 to do so... so no.
Vicex EMS wrote:
I have yet to see it properly executed and have no faith in 343 to do so... so no.
Nothing is every properly executed the way in any company's eyes. Even like I say, the mode has its own flaws.
I thinknin case of mainline Halo games I prefer the usual storyline cut in missions with steady preset progress that tells the canon story.

Usually central hub is just a form of glorified menu in-between missions with no higher purpose unless there are side missions (preferably not in a game focused on the story of Master Chief) or some online aspects where you can just mess around with friends or even randoms.
It can work as a concept if there is enough sensible stuff put in it but I don't think the more important bits fit in a mainline Halo game.

Well, I thought of something more useful for it. Like you say, its a glorified menu in-between missions. But side missions could access as maybe missions that don't affect the main story. But could just be opportunities to play with certain other Halo characters or learn more of Halo's specific lore within the missions. They could just act as a micro stories. Missions that act as small stories to tag with current characters of Halo (as there are too many by now for all to tag along in a story). And maybe we could learn more of the Halo lore in some others.

The missions wont be short and always circling around what I just said, but it will still have its sort of fun as every mission.

Well, I thought of something more useful for it. Like you say, its a glorified menu in-between missions. But side missions could access as maybe missions that don't affect the main story. But could just be opportunities to play with certain other Halo characters or learn more of Halo's specific lore within the missions. They could just act as a micro stories. Missions that act as small stories to tag with current characters of Halo (as there are too many by now for all to tag along in a story). And maybe we could learn more of the Halo lore in some others.

The missions wont be short and always circling around what I just said, but it will still have its sort of fun as every mission.
That sort of aspect could be fitted into a Halo game but in the case of Infinite, I just think it would take away from the flow of the game which I hope is present in a game focused on the story from Master Chiefs perspective where I think the more linear storyline with usual mission cuts works the best.

As in what type of Halo game I think it could work in, maybe in a form of game that is mostly noncanonical with canonical path, just for the fun of it. Or as a base for the micro stories you mentioned.
Basically, it could be an option for a type of Halo game that doesn't really have set chronology in place of the usual menu selection.
Just not personally that thrilled about hub areas in general though since the constant jumping back into a menu inbetween missions, in most cases, gets old fast after I have seen it a couple of times.
I dont really mind it that much either but Id rather minimize menu navigation that, in it's base, is just mission selection.

But like I mentioned, it needs side missions & online aspects to be enjoyable part of the game which I think wouldn't fit that much in the story of Master Chief, maybe more so on Halo Reach type setting with customizeable character as another example.
I liked the HUB in Perfect Dark but don't know how it would work with Halo's narrative with Chief constantly moving from one place to another. A Central Hub would not have worked with the first game where your first objective is to Abandon Ship.

If they could fit it with the narrative sure, but if not then it is not necessary.
Not sure, I think it could work in a spin-off game like maybe a Odst 2 but I think an open world Halo game might work better...as long as there's no exp system since games like the new Wolfenstein proved that the exp doesn't always work well with first person shooters.
Kind of have to agree with a few of the prior responses: Although I can agree that this is a cool idea and has some potential for mixing up the traditional formula into something still-great but distinct from all prior Halo games, I just don't believe 343i has better chances of making that formula work better than it they really just focus on the core Halo experience as it exists rather than trying to redefine it.

Both of their major efforts to date haven't captured the magic of prior Halo games on one or more levels of the gameplay front. With pacing in the campaign being a huge failure of Guardians, I wouldn't be eager for them to try something even further out from series convention in what seems to be their effort to reclaim Halo's prime (reclaimer pun only slightly intended.)

Just like pretty much every other aspect of mechanics for this game, I think they should work very hard at making it as simple as is reasonably possible, and just to make sure every element that exists in the game is fully developed and well integrated into the whole. When 343i makes a Halo game that has widespread acceptance and praise in both the single and multi-player dimensions, that's when they've earned the goodwill to go shaking up the formula. They have the right to do whatever they want, of course, but I think many fans don't particularly trust them to actuate many of these ideas especially well at this point in time.

In the future, though? As a concept for Halo 7 or an ODST style spin-off game (I'd really love to see another game like that sometime in the future), I'd say it's an awesome concept that could allow for some cool narrative and gameplay elements as you outlined.
Reminds me of Star Fox. It would increase the replay value.