Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Since Guilty Spark is still alive...

OP BerzerkLlama

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If they bring him back and expand on his character then I'm all for it. If they bring him back just for a familiar face, no thank you
H8TRFFC wrote:
Since when is guilty spark still alive?
there was a story where a unsc ship recovered him and he was barely alive
I distinctly remember blowing Spark up with Johnson's Spartan Laser. He was incinerated. Disintegrated. Decimated. Gone.
Can we please not bring back another previously-thought-dead A.I. character...
He's still alive but barely. He transferred his 'essence' into a UNSC ship. What's wrong with bringing him back? Most of the new characters 343 has introduced have been terrible with the exception of Roland and Lasky.
H8TRFFC wrote:
there was a story where a unsc ship recovered him and he was barely alive
I distinctly remember blowing Spark up with Johnson's Spartan Laser. He was incinerated. Disintegrated. Decimated. Gone.
Can we please not bring back another previously-thought-dead A.I. character...
He's still alive but barely. He transferred his 'essence' into a UNSC ship. What's wrong with bringing him back? Most of the new characters 343 has introduced have been terrible with the exception of Roland and Lasky.
  1. Bringing back previously dead characters cheapens their death and the experiences felt by the player in reaction to said death, making the narratives of prior games actively worse.
  2. We've already seen this trope implemented with Cortana to a widely negative response.
  3. Many of 343's characters have been lackluster, I agree. That's not an excuse to dredge up the corpses of Bungie's characters in the main games. It would show a complete lack of confidence in their role as overseers of Halo's continuation, which a lot of fans already suspect.
  4. There are tens of relevant characters already active in the mainline plot, including Blue Team, Halsey, Osiris, the Infinity crew, the Swords of Sanghelios and Cortana's 'Created' Forces. I suspect the majority of them are being sidelined in Infinite, pushing Spark even further back in the list of characters likely to be present.
I had my doubts before, but I don't think bringing Spark (Chakas would be a better name to call him now given what has happened) would be all that difficult to do. He showed up in Halo 2 despite I'm sure a lot of people thinking he was destroyed in Combat Evolved when the Autumn exploded or when the ring was destroyed. Yes, he was blasted to pieces in Halo 3, but as we've seen with the Prometheans the Forerunners could engineer the datastream of their intelligences to linger for a while. Rather than only linger briefly, Spark's could hold out significantly longer.

Chief could encounter Spark on the Rubicon if they ever crossed paths, Chief could say "You're supposed to be dead!" and Spark can given a brief statement about how his remains were jettisoned to the Ark, an ONI team sent to recon the Ark weeks after the events of Halo 3 recovers his remains and brings them aboard the ship. They questioned him about things related to the Didact and etc. and then he hijacked the ship. Since then he has been looking for the Librarian, maybe throw in some scenes of him coming to dead ends like where Requiem used to be before a plot related reason points him to Installation 07 or where Chief is supposed to be.

Given Chakas was on Installation 07, I think Spark would be a good person to have on hand to navigate that particular ring.
Why are everybody wishing for Guilty Spark to make a return? Have you forgotten what that lunatic has done to Johnson?
Why are everybody wishing for Guilty Spark to make a return? Have you forgotten what that lunatic has done to Johnson?
And Thel 'Vadam glassed Reach. Your point?
LoxtonA01 wrote:
Halo: Infinite needs some kind of terminal of ONI footage that you can watch/read in a similar way to like in Mass Effect 2 on the shadow broker ship (I think I'm thinking of the right bit...).
Hell, if Halo 5 had that kind of thing then they could have summarised what happened in the surrounding books and added a ton more context to everything happening in the game.
That's what was so great about Halo 4 and they almost got it perfect with the terminals. It built a great history without having to read anything about Ancient Humanity and why the Ur-Didact became how he was.
It's just a shame that it didn't show more of both Ancient Humanity and the Forerunners.
I disagree. I think it would have been better to show that stuff through in-game cutscenes rather than the terminals as you had to watch the terminals to understand the Didact's intentions and his hatred for Humanity.
My immediate preference would be what you're suggesting, that there are longer and denser cutscenes about things in the present storyline, related events that are important to the context, flashbacks from the Forerunner era and so on.
But that raises issues.

A) Production issues. Producing high-quality motion capture based animated scenes would be significantly more expensive than doing that anime'esque almost painted style of animation they used in Halo: 4's terminals and Halo: CEA's terminals.

B) Gamer preference issues. I'm personally all for longer heftier cutscenes, but given all of the threads and subsequent debates on the forums about issues large and small; many do not share this preference. I've heard many suggest things like (again referencing Mass Effect) more in-game character interaction with more active background scenes that you don't get involved in to share more story without having to add to scene time.
This is where I see the value of terminals of some description. They can enrich the story but may not be necessary to the story being understood and followed. This gives gamers such as us the chance to be more involved in the game to go looking for them and then to get that background context we want and it gives gamers who might not know the extended canon the introduction to it they need/want without shoving it in their face. And for those who don't care then, it doesn't matter.

And C) Story execution issues. There is A LOT of extended canon that can be included for the depth that it would add to all of the elements of the story. I'm just not sure how even half of what could be added into scenes would play out in cutscenes without becoming congested. That's again where I see terminals being a good way to break them down into more digestible sizes.
I personally think it would be a bad idea... it's already too much.

Forerunners were supposed to be extinct - everything they created, a full galactic hyper advanced army, still works.
The flood is defeated - nope, they can return in every moment.
The covenant is supposed to be silenced - no, ONI started the war again. Even elites are still enemies. The arbiter defeated them again. Surprise, the banished are here (no matter I like them, facts are facts).
Spartan II's are dead - lol more than 10 simply did not die, and chief, the"last of them" lost across the stars forever, in cryo sleep like it began, is back... in just 4 years.
Cortana is your friend - no, it's your foe.
Finish the fight - don't make me laugh.
Finally, spark is destroyed by a laser going through him, falling into a pit and having the place blown up - it even controls a ship and has concience. After a few months.

343 has done some great things in terms of story, but retconing things stablished in the lore, specially this important, is in my opinion a bad idea. For example, what's next, Truth and Tartarus survived and begin hunting the chief?

I don't think spark would be a good choice to show in Halo Infinite, maybe in a book...
Guilty Spark kill sgt jhonson remember do not forget!
:)
Dema343 wrote:
Guilty Spark kill sgt jhonson remember do not forget!
:)
He's still a great character. He is also a great source of nostalgia.
tuhin94 wrote:
*Spoiler here*
Spoiler:
Show
Dude, change your title. That's kind of a spoiler. I didn't know this and wish I didn't. Put like "Guilty Spark" spoiler alert or something. At least warn people here.
Yeah, second the suggestion for a title change. Lot of people haven’t read the books and all.
Yea thanks! Just started reading Halo and I'm like Guilty Spark is dead? OMG!!
I personally think it would be a bad idea... it's already too much.

Forerunners were supposed to be extinct - everything they created, a full galactic hyper advanced army, still works.
I mean, the Forerunners are still pretty much all but extinct. Only a select few remained sheltered away.

The flood is defeated - nope, they can return in every moment.
Gravemind straight up tells you this in Halo 3, "Defeat is merely an addition of time to a sentence I never deserved, but you imposed." The Flood always are a threat of returning while there are specimens on the Halo rings regardless of any remaining outside the known galaxy.

The covenant is supposed to be silenced - no, ONI started the war again. Even elites are still enemies. The arbiter defeated them again. Surprise, the banished are here (no matter I like them, facts are facts).
It really isn't surprising that many splinter groups would form after the defeat of the Covenant. This is an empire that encompassed many species for thousands of years. They all aren't just going to disappear because Truth bit the dust.

Spartan II's are dead - lol more than 10 simply did not die, and chief, the"last of them" lost across the stars forever, in cryo sleep like it began, is back... in just 4 years.
"The last of his kind" was only said once... on the back of Halo: CE's cover. First Strike all but crushed that notion, and that was released in 2003.

Cortana is your friend - no, it's your foe.
This I'll give you. It was not a good choice for her to return, especially what she became.

Finish the fight - don't make me laugh.
We did finish the fight; we stopped Truth, defeated the Covenant, and prevented Gravemind from consuming the galaxy. That doesn't mean all future conflicts are settled.

Finally, spark is destroyed by a laser going through him, falling into a pit and having the place blown up - it even controls a ship and has concience. After a few months.

343 has done some great things in terms of story, but retconing things stablished in the lore, specially this important, is in my opinion a bad idea. For example, what's next, Truth and Tartarus survived and begin hunting the chief?

I don't think spark would be a good choice to show in Halo Infinite, maybe in a book...
I'd refer you to DR Halsey's comment above, he succinctly explains how introducing 343/Chakas into the game again could work.
I would like to see Spark's reaction now that the Prometheans have been active and Didact has finally kicked the bucket.
It would be cool to see Spark return and help fight against the Created. But part of me wonders if he would side with Cortana.
It would be cool to see Spark return and help fight against the Created. But part of me wonders if he would side with Cortana.
He probably hates Cortana for destroying both of his installations.
He probably hates Cortana for destroying both of his installations.
That’s what I was thinking too. So he’ll most likely team up with Chief. Which would be pretty odd turn of events. Plus he retains his human memories so now he’ll be even better help.
I don't see them bringing the guilty spark back, but maybe a similar character could be introduced.
I don't like this idea. Dead characters must stay dead! As much as 343 give a good reason to bring him back they are just repeating everything all over again. You have already Atriox, Cortana, Didact maybe and you are not using them to make the story go forward? What is the point?
I don't like this idea. Dead characters must stay dead! As much as 343 give a good reason to bring him back they are just repeating everything all over again. You have already Atriox, Cortana, Didact maybe and you are not using them to make the story go forward? What is the point?
He's out there either way, may as well use him.
Guilty Spark is alive but When ONI was gathering information from his memory somehow Guilty Spark took control of a UNSC Ship too go find the Librarian he thinks she’s alive somewhere in the universe.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2