Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Smurf Accounts must GO

OP wadehamilton

If 343 wants users to have an enjoyable ranked playlist experience in Infinite they have to get rid of smurf accounts. I watch a particular popular streamer play ranked everyday, and literally every day will have 1-3 friends, who all make fresh accounts... literally every day. I think 343 should lock your rank to your Xbox ID. There's so much abuse of the system it completely takes the fun out of it. I just finished a game of team arena where our team won 50-6 in team slayer and everyone on my team was a smurf. How is that an enjoyable or even game play for the other team?
The big secret is that this has been going on forever. Even back in Halo 2 when all new accounts had to be paid for, this was still going on. There isn’t much Microsoft could do to put a dent in the issue without hurting people who are trying to play honestly.

I’ll use me for example. If 343 locked my rank to my Xbox ID, then my wife and kids would suffer when they play online due to them being significantly less skilled than I am. That wouldn’t be fair to them, and it wouldn’t be fair to the teammates that would have to carry them.

343 does a good job at determining a players skill within a few matches, but unfortunately the population is limited so it’s difficult to pair teams against equal opponents
fair point but when 10+ accounts are made on a single xbox in a month?
I get your point but what can be done about it ? As long as limitless accounts can be created smurf will exist. Also it's going to get worse when you add cross play and PC to Xbox. They (Microsoft) could limit the amount of accounts a device can create, but I don't see it happening.
If 343 wants users to have an enjoyable ranked playlist experience in Infinite they have to get rid of smurf accounts. I watch a particular popular streamer play ranked everyday, and literally every day will have 1-3 friends, who all make fresh accounts... literally every day. I think 343 should lock your rank to your Xbox ID. There's so much abuse of the system it completely takes the fun out of it. I just finished a game of team arena where our team won 50-6 in team slayer and everyone on my team was a smurf. How is that an enjoyable or even game play for the other team?
What do you mean "locking to Xbox ID"? Like, linking your Halo rank to your Xbox serial number or something?
Seems like a difficult thing to deal with. If you create a new gamertag - that's a new rank. How exactly is linking rank to Xbox ID helping here? Maybe you could lock Matchmaking behind bot training until you reach rank 10 or something? So you can't play with people online until you reach rank 10 by playing with bots. Basically, you won't be able to just create a new account and start smurfing right away, you have to grind for a bit first. For normal people, you only do this once and then you're done. Also, leave social open for non-trained, so if you have friends over who want to play on their accounts, you can still play unranked.
eviltedi wrote:
I get your point but what can be done about it ? As long as limitless accounts can be created smurf will exist. Also it's going to get worse when you add cross play and PC to Xbox. They (Microsoft) could limit the amount of accounts a device can create, but I don't see it happening.
Lots can be done about it. In other games people get banned for smurfing. In Halo it's almost encouraged. I've seen people making 10+ smurf accounts in a day to rank his teammates up. I just finished a game of Team Arena where a team of 4 champion smurfs just raped 4 random's mid level diamonds in ctf and refused to cap the last flag at 2-0... so fun for the user
The big secret is that this has been going on forever. Even back in Halo 2 when all new accounts had to be paid for, this was still going on. There isn’t much Microsoft could do to put a dent in the issue without hurting people who are trying to play honestly.

I’ll use me for example. If 343 locked my rank to my Xbox ID, then my wife and kids would suffer when they play online due to them being significantly less skilled than I am. That wouldn’t be fair to them, and it wouldn’t be fair to the teammates that would have to carry them.

343 does a good job at determining a players skill within a few matches, but unfortunately the population is limited so it’s difficult to pair teams against equal opponents
So if it's been going on forever, then that's even more of a reason to address it. Max it out at 4 accounts per xbox. There's people with literally 100's of smurfs on the same console
eviltedi wrote:
Lots can be done about it. In other games people get banned for smurfing. In Halo it's almost encouraged. I've seen people making 10+ smurf accounts in a day to rank his teammates up. I just finished a game of Team Arena where a team of 4 champion smurfs just raped 4 random's mid level diamonds in ctf and refused to cap the last flag at 2-0... so fun for the user
So what can be done about it ? How will they know the difference from a smurf account and a genuine new account ? How will they prove it's an experienced player on a new account ? Is it against the rules for a player to have multiple accounts ? I understand the frustration, but I see no way for this to be stopped, and Microsoft are not going to limit accounts on consoles.

Edit = You might want to choose your words better, "4 champion smurfs just destroyed 4 randoms" is a less offensive way to put imo.

Max it out at 4 accounts per xbox.
What happens to large families that cannot afford more than one console ? Mum, dad and four children for example. Then what happens if they want to trade it in for a newer console but its accounts are maxed ? Sorry but that idea will never fly, look what happened this gen with the idea of forced online, kinect etc.

Edit = Sorry mods, quoting went wrong.
eviltedi wrote:
Sure peoplet get banned, but what do they do after hmm? They make a new account 🤷‍♀️.

I'm vs alternative accounts to an extent and I'll be brutally honest on my take here, but even I have alt accounts on Xbox, some for differing reasons but nonetheless alt accounts.

To me you can't restrict it without losing people, family's make use of it, friends will, people like me will make one when a games matchmaking system is -Yoinked!- up (high skill players have a hard time finding games even in non ranked playlists, if I'm spendingmoney on a game, I'm gonna play it one way or another. And I have one specifically to get away from people and do more by myself without getting 500 invites to something.

Overwatch for example won't let you matchmake with your friends in competitive mode if your SR exceeds your buddy, and I'll use an alt to bypass that 🤷‍♀️. So it's not even a halo specific problem fyi

So if it's been going on forever, then that's even more of a reason to address it. Max it out at 4 accounts per xbox. There's people with literally 100's of smurfs on the same console
Not a good solution. I have a wife and two kids so we would already be maxed by that logic. If I were to have another kid, they would be prohibited from having an account. What if I had friends over who wanted to use their accounts? They wouldn’t be able to.

There is nothing wrong with people having as many profiles as they want. As I stated in my first post, 343 does a good job determining players skill in just a few matches. If someone throws their first few matches so they can dominate later, 343’s true skill can tell that and they will get banned before too long
I definitely agree that something needs to be done, but I don't think locking it to your Xbox ID is the answer. It's a difficult situation. Other than the obvious Microsoft making every single person have a gold account, which I know won't happen (though that would solve it alot for obvious reasons) the only thing I can think of is they need to make it so a person has to be a certain level (Exp rank I'm talking here) to play ranked. So maybe once they hit level 20 they can play ranked. Even that option I'm mixed on, but I could live with it.

It is a problem though I definitely agree. I play Team Slayer and Doubles a lot and I see a pile of new accounts, especially in doubles. It's not fun at all. 99% of the time my buddy and I just get destroyed! Even worse, in doubles it's pretty common to play the same people two, three sometimes even more times in a row. It's the biggest downer when this happens and to top it off, we always loose rank as according to the game, we just lost against some unranked people so we shouldn't have. Or they're ranked but they're clearly WAY better than what their rank says. I really hate it. I would bet in doubles 35% or so of my losses are from new accounts.

Bold - Do they though? I'm not bashing 343 here but I don't think their system does that good of a job in this area. I know they're doing there best here and I have talked to the guy (ZaedynFel) a lot too about this lol but still....I play a pile of doubles and team Slayer, And especially in doubles I see tons of new accounts with people who have played more then a few matches who are CLEARLY way better then me and I end up playing them a lot or people like them. Just look at my games from the other day that I played. Look how many new accounts there are there and how much those people have played on them and yet I'm still playing them?? How has their algorithm not figured out that these people are clearly way better than me?? Now, I understand what you're saying about the population I totally get that, and especially in something like team Slayer but in doubles, not as much. I shouldn't be playing the same guys three times out of five games. I know doubles population is low, but still. And like I said above, when you play these people who are unranked and you're ranked and you lose to them, you lose a ton of rank on top of just getting destroyed. Yeah maybe 343I algorithm will eventually figure out that these people are really good, so better pair them with higher ranks, so it might help the next people, MIGHT... but it definitely doesn't help me at all.

Again, I know what you're saying about population but I definitely think more needs to be done to combat new accounts. If that's making a certain level requirement to play ranked, changing how matchmaking works, or whatever... Then do it, because they definitely do ruin your gaming experience and I know this might sound crazy but I've been around since the start (Halo CE) And I saw the whole people selling accounts for 50s on Halo 3 (which was nowhere near as bad as what some people claim but I also never had an issue with it because people that are buying these fifties nine times over 10 aren't very good and they could be easily beat and I'm sorry but if you're dumb enough to spend money on something like that then that's your fault) And as far as I'm concerned there's WAY more of a problem in Halo 5 with new accounts than there ever was in Halo 3 by a country mile!!! And it's worst in 5 because in 5 You have really good players make new accounts And play against people that are lower skill than them but according to the game they're not and then they destroy you and it ruins your experience and rank. Whereas in 3, people who bought new accounts were usually terrible and they couldn't ruin your experience because they actually weren't as skilled as there ranked showed and that's the opposite in 5. I hope that I explain that well lol

The only difference is you don't hear about people selling their accounts or anything in Halo 5 because to be Frank, Halo 5 is nowhere near as popular as Halo 3. It's not the "go too" game that everyone is playing like Halo 3 was. If it was, you would hear people complain about this WAY more on every type of social media. If Halo 5 had Halo 3 popularity or fortnite or call of duty or whatever, more action would be taken, but it's not. I played a pile of Halo 3 as well. Again especially in doubles, so I can definitely compare the two and new accounts are way worse in Halo 5.
eviltedi wrote:

What happens to large families that cannot afford more than one console ? Mum, dad and four children for example. Then what happens if they want to trade it in for a newer console but its accounts are maxed ? Sorry but that idea will never fly, look what happened this gen with the idea of forced online, kinect etc.

The max per xbox is 32, they just delete their smurfs after they get ranked too high or get too much xp. They should make you pay for every new account after 5 accounts are on your xbox.
APBsniper wrote:
eviltedi wrote:

The max per xbox is 32, they just delete their smurfs after they get ranked too high or get too much xp. They should make you pay for every new account after 5 accounts are on your xbox.
They won't. There are families that are bigger than 5 and it limits the use of the Xbox console, which is something they cannot do, Microsoft / Xbox are doing some very user friendly things like backward / forward compatibility, not having to upgrade immediately etc. I agree with smurfs being an issue, but I don't see how we get rid of them apart from good ranked match making systems that put them in their appropriate rank quickly. Even then, a good player can play badly to be in a lower rank.