Sniper Rifle Lens Flare

OP Werewolf1619

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
In Halo 5 there is a lens flare when someone is using a sniper rifle that other people can see. Please do not have this in Halo Infinite, it doesn't make a lick of sense, because the sniper rifle already has a bullet trail, it doesn't need lens flare nor should it.
You are correct. Please, no lens flare.
Man, there's always something new I hear of in H5 that just doesn't make sense. You think there'd be an end to it sometime lol.

But yes, I agree there shouldn't be lens flare.
Maybe the right term should be sniper glare as is it is named in this reddit post but still it should not be a thing in Halo. https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3i9z0q/halo_5_has_sniper_glare/
100% agreed, it makes no sense. Let players learn how to spot where the map’s sniper hotspots are rather than just pointing them out for free.
In Halo 5 there is a lens flare when someone is using a sniper rifle that other people can see. Please do not have this in Halo Infinite, it doesn't make a lick of sense, because the sniper rifle already has a bullet trail, it doesn't need lens flare nor should it.
I agree. This unecessary addition just makes it easier for players with poor awareness to spot sniper players. It’s a handicap really.
For gameplay balance only, I am OK with it.
Halo 5 is a quick game and all power weapons have a glare (like the shotgun, snipers and pretty sure the rocket launcher has a dull red shine). It makes sense in Halo 5 for gameplay because they are otherwise easy to miss.

But if Infinite is a return to classic, it wouldn't make much sense to keep it at all. I gotta agree with literally everyone else in this thread.
This is completely fine. Halo has always been a game where player visibility is everything, and camping ought to be heavily discouraged. On smaller maps it is not much of a problem to begin with, but on larger maps this sort of glare should make players with the sniper easier to spot at distance, which in turn would encourage snipers to be more mobile. This mechanic is completely within the ethos of Halo's gameplay, and I'd be okay with it being in future games.
I think it's fine in big social modes like BTB and WZ but shouldn't be in 4v4 and smaller playlists.
but shouldn't be in 4v4 and smaller playlists.
Why though?
tsassi wrote:
Why though?
I think it'd be more fun to not be able to tell where the sniper is right away and be forced to be more cautious/sneaky and also rely more on callouts. Really emphasizes the need of power weapon control even more. In something big like BTB/WZ it's more of a casual experience so I don't mind getting that information for free and you're also on much larger maps so it's nice to have that help locating the sniper.
Funny to see most essentially saying no purely cause they're getting caught. Even better to hear "but bullet trails already show where you are" which I'd then ask why it matters when it's no different than that 🤷

The lens is actually a nice addition as it forces you to move unless you're good enough to maintain your spot. A good sniper is one that can play on the move, not one that relies on being stationary.
It just isn't necessary, same goes for the flashlight on the shotgun. If you don't make the sniper rifle so pitifully easy to use we don't need super obvious tells when we already have bullet trails.

If you want to find someone use your eyes. If players are consistently having trouble picking out players from background or picking out certain weapons that is a failure on the developers part that needs a legitimate rework not tacked on bandaid solution.
Funny to see most essentially saying no purely cause they're getting caught. Even better to hear "but bullet trails already show where you are" which I'd then ask why it matters when it's no different than that 🤷

The lens is actually a nice addition as it forces you to move unless you're good enough to maintain your spot. A good sniper is one that can play on the move, not one that relies on being stationary.
The difference is that bullet trails show after the sniper shot has been fired, not before. Of course camping should be discouraged, but the glare completely negates the point of learning how to spot snipers. It’s something that players should have to adapt to; there’s no skill in walking out, seeing the glare, and hiding behind a corner until it’s disappeared.
tsassi wrote:
Why though?
If a player walks out into the open with no situational awareness, it’s completely their fault for being killed by a sniper. The counter-argument is that no glare encourages camping, but a good player should be able to figure out where a camper is on their own. It’d be like adding an alarm to the motion tracker if someone’s trying to creep up behind you and get an assassination.
The glare was a nice addition to the sniper rifle, I hope it returns. It made it so sniping required a faster response from target acquisition to firing. In past Halos I was able to take my time, wait for a few targets to present themselves, form a plan, and take them out with little to no risk. In Halo 5, when I see a target I know I have probably 2 seconds maximum before I need to pull the trigger.

It's also pretty darn necessary with the subject of WarZone in mind. WarZone maps are large enough that there are always a lot of angles, hiding spots, and sniper perches. If snipers didn't have glare WarZone would probably be a lot more infuriating. So while glare might not be welcome in competitive modes or with people that prefer traditional Halo sniping, the feature is likely welcomed to the more casual crowd.
I think it'd be more fun to not be able to tell where the sniper is right away and be forced to be more cautious/sneaky and also rely more on callouts. Really emphasizes the need of power weapon control even more. In something big like BTB/WZ it's more of a casual experience so I don't mind getting that information for free and you're also on much larger maps so it's nice to have that help locating the sniper.
If you're in a position where you would see the glare, this means that you will be in combat with the sniper within a second ("combat" including you being shot by the sniper even if you didn't see them), because the glare means that the sniper is already taking aim at you. For what you're thinking of, whether there is glare on the sniper scope is totally irrelevant on a small map, because on small maps there is no hiding: if you can see the glare, you can see the player that is emitting the glare. There is no advantage in being cautious when there is no scope glare relative to when there is. Consequently, it doesn't really affect the importance of power weapon control in any meaningful way.

WerepyreND wrote:
If you want to find someone use your eyes. If players are consistently having trouble picking out players from background or picking out certain weapons that is a failure on the developers part that needs a legitimate rework not tacked on bandaid solution.
This same argument applies equally well to bullet trails. Should we get rid of them, too?

There are two advantages that you're brushing aside here. First is faster recognition. If you deem this a "bandaid solution" to some perceived issue, you're missing this one. It's not that there needs to be some problem where players have significant trouble seeing other players from the background, but that this makes the recognition of the player (and in particular of their weapon) that is aiming at you faster, which is something you're not really going to be able to accomplish by any other means. Or at least the other means are substantially more obnoxious. Of course, another question is whether faster recognition is something you want, but since Halo has from its inception used very bright high contrast colors for its player models, it would seem that this is an integral part of Halo. In fact, this is a good feature for all the same reasons that less visual noise in map design is a good feature.

The second advantage is that unlike most other means of making players more visible, this works at a distance, which is very important for big team gametypes with large maps. Again, this is quite a subtle way of letting the player notice a sniper who is hiding behind some rock with only their head sticking out, who would've certainly gone unnoticed in all previous Halo games unless the player also had a Sniper Rifle. This, in turn, as I and UEG ShadowAngel pointed out, encourages snipers to be more mobile, which at least to me is an integral part of sniping in Halo and how it differs from other shooters.

The arguments against this feature to me seem mostly aesthetic (which is fine, I guess, but not very convincing), and the kind of "back in my day we had to walk uphill both ways" which assumes that because something was more difficult in the past, it shouldn't ever be made any easier.
It seems like you guys are defending the addition of more casual-minded mechanics. And that's fine since Halo was built upon very simple mechanics, but why are you defending it in the first place? There was already a way to tell where a shot was coming from (the bullet trail), and it did not give you awareness of that shot before it was fired - which really works well with how much awareness you needed in previous games. Awareness is a skill. Scope-glint, like an endless list of 343's added mechanics, de-emphasizes the need for this skill.
The glare was a nice addition to the sniper rifle, I hope it returns. It made it so sniping required a faster response from target acquisition to firing. In past Halos I was able to take my time, wait for a few targets to present themselves, form a plan, and take them out with little to no risk. In Halo 5, when I see a target I know I have probably 2 seconds maximum before I need to pull the trigger.

It's also pretty darn necessary with the subject of WarZone in mind. WarZone maps are large enough that there are always a lot of angles, hiding spots, and sniper perches. If snipers didn't have glare WarZone would probably be a lot more infuriating. So while glare might not be welcome in competitive modes or with people that prefer traditional Halo sniping, the feature is likely welcomed to the more casual crowd.
Yeah, I actually completely agree about Warzone. Snipers are too far away for any kind of counterattack sometimes. I guess my problem is just with standard Arena matches where taking out snipers is trivial with the right strategy.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4