Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Sniper Rifle Lens Flare

OP Werewolf1619

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
skydogcom wrote:
For gameplay balance only, I am OK with it.
So would you say the past 4 Halos had unbalanced sniper rifles?
I'm mixed on this....

I don't have a huge problem with lens flare in Halo 5 with the sniper, but at the same time I've played Halo since CE and never had an issue with it not being in either. I do feel lens flare does make it way easier to spot someone and I don't think your position should be given away because of this. I also feel this way about grenades too, but again, I don't have a huge problem with them in it either. The "smoke" trail that was left by the bullet from the sniper shot was always good enough for me.

I do feel Halo has more and more hand holding, and that's ok.... to a degree.

It definitely wouldn't bug me if they removed it, but if it's there I can live with it too. Maybe it would be worth trying having things like lens flare and hit markers from grenades disabled in ranked playlists and on in social. I don't know...

If I HAD to pick it either being in or out, I'd take out, as I feel the "smoke" trail is more then enough to figure out the area or general area where the sniper is I feel. It's not like Spartans are super hard to spot either most of the time. They are blue and red after all lol (FFA being an exception)
I'm mixed on this....

I don't have a huge problem with lens flare in Halo 5 with the sniper, but at the same time I've played Halo since CE and never had an issue with it not being in either. I do feel lens flare does make it way easier to spot someone and I don't think your position should be given away because of this. I also feel this way about grenades too, but again, I don't have a huge problem with them in it either. The "smoke" trail that was left by the bullet from the sniper shot was always good enough for me.

I do feel Halo has more and more hand holding, and that's ok.... to a degree.

It definitely wouldn't bug me if they removed it, but if it's there I can live with it too. Maybe it would be worth trying having things like lens flare and hit markers from grenades disabled in ranked playlists and on in social. I don't know...

If I HAD to pick it either being in or out, I'd take out, as I feel the "smoke" trail is more then enough to figure out the area or general area where the sniper is I feel. It's not like Spartans are super hard to spot either most of the time. They are blue and red after all lol (FFA being an exception)
343 has definitely added a lot of redundant mechanics. We already had the smoke trail, they add lens flair on top of it. We already had hit markers in the form of shields lighting up, they added other ones on top. Doesn't make sense to me. I do believe that they have to get rid of hit markers for grenades though.
I feel that the main reason the lense flare was in Halo 5 was because of ADS. Since there wasn't a visor zoom like in Halos 2 and 3, there had to be a balance to accommodate the short sight distance in ADS with CQC weapons. If you get rid of ADS, then you could remove the flare.
Wellchy wrote:
skydogcom wrote:
For gameplay balance only, I am OK with it.
So would you say the past 4 Halos had unbalanced sniper rifles?
THIS. Most of the people defending its addition are saying it just adds balance to the gameplay, but no one has said that snipers were a rampant problem to begin with.
I could take or leave it, but having a gametype setting could be nice. “Turn power weapon indicators on or off.”
tsassi wrote:
This is completely fine. Halo has always been a game where player visibility is everything, and camping ought to be heavily discouraged. On smaller maps it is not much of a problem to begin with, but on larger maps this sort of glare should make players with the sniper easier to spot at distance, which in turn would encourage snipers to be more mobile. This mechanic is completely within the ethos of Halo's gameplay, and I'd be okay with it being in future games.
100% agreed, it makes no sense. Let players learn how to spot where the map’s sniper hotspots are rather than just pointing them out for free
So the options are
  1. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell only when it's fired so people must learn to spot or predict its use thus making it harder to use against equally or higher skilled opponents.
  2. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell when it is merely aimed at someone, allowing opponents of any skill level to spot and counter or avoid its use making it less of a power weapon because it's niche in the sandbox of 'long range ambush/stop dancing in the open' weapon is crippled by making it so obvious.
I think I know which is better... So rather than nerfing a power weapon, why not stop making maps with so many red and blue tones in them so people don't blend in as much.
Ok here’s the thing. IRL unless you slather in some non reflective coating the sunlight glinting on your weapon is going to happen. Why wouldn’t lens glare be a thing in the halo game? If you can’t figure out that you’re being fired in and where from, you deserve to be killed by the camper who is holding the sniper rifle.

In case you havent noticed, there’s a lot of embedded realism in terms of atmospheric and visual effects on halo 5 maps and to some lesser extent the MCC maps what with the advent of 4K resolution in both games.

me, I’m a casual player so I don’t care if there’s a lens glare. I use the sniper once in awhile but I’m always aware that because I do camp when I have it, I’ll be terminated pretty quickly by observant players who know where I am.
Ok here’s the thing. IRL unless you slather in some non reflective coating the sunlight glinting on your weapon is going to happen. Why wouldn’t lens glare be a thing in the halo game? If you can’t figure out that you’re being fired in and where from, you deserve to be killed by the camper who is holding the sniper rifle.

In case you havent noticed, there’s a lot of embedded realism in terms of atmospheric and visual effects on halo 5 maps and to some lesser extent the MCC maps what with the advent of 4K resolution in both games.

me, I’m a casual player so I don’t care if there’s a lens glare. I use the sniper once in awhile but I’m always aware that because I do camp when I have it, I’ll be terminated pretty quickly by observant players who know where I am.
Ok here’s the thing. IRL unless you slather in some non reflective coating the sunlight glinting on your weapon is going to happen. Why wouldn’t lens glare be a thing in the halo game?
Because this is a game and not real life. Certain mechanics impact how said game is played.
So the options are
  1. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell only when it's fired so people must learn to spot or predict its use thus making it harder to use against equally or higher skilled opponents.
  2. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell when it is merely aimed at someone, allowing opponents of any skill level to spot and counter or avoid its use making it less of a power weapon because it's niche in the sandbox of 'long range ambush/stop dancing in the open' weapon is crippled by making it so obvious.
Seeing that there is a player with a sniper rifle on your screen isn't much of a skill. If you are in the position of seeing the glare, you have already already either succeeded or failed at predicting your opponent. If you have failed, the benefit of the glare to you is only marginal. The Sniper Rifle is hardly crippled by this. If you can't hit an opponent you're aiming at (since they can see your glare), your sniping skills are the problem.
I think having a lens flare on the sniper, is a rather fitting feature since it varies from person to person, when it comes to how hard it is spotting the sniper.
Different sized screens, reaction times and vice versa. That being said, i will say that the lens flare, should only show when there's a greater distance, between the players. On smaller distances, it should not show, as that is where your eyes should be your best spotting tool.
tsassi wrote:
So the options are
  1. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell only when it's fired so people must learn to spot or predict its use thus making it harder to use against equally or higher skilled opponents.
  2. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell when it is merely aimed at someone, allowing opponents of any skill level to spot and counter or avoid its use making it less of a power weapon because it's niche in the sandbox of 'long range ambush/stop dancing in the open' weapon is crippled by making it so obvious.
Seeing that there is a player with a sniper rifle on your screen isn't much of a skill. If you are in the position of seeing the glare, you have already already either succeeded or failed at predicting your opponent. If you have failed, the benefit of the glare to you is only marginal. The Sniper Rifle is hardly crippled by this. If you can't hit an opponent you're aiming at (since they can see your glare), your sniping skills are the problem.
No, the problem comes that as soon as you zoom in anyone with LoS to you knows you have a sniper, you don't even need to use it to give away your position. I can't count how many times I've turned a corner and almost immediately thrustered backwards because of the glare. Only to go back round the corner already aiming where it was, and I'm not exactly amazing at the game.
So an average player can spot, avoid and counter a sniper in under a second because of glare giving them away and how effective even the pistol is at a good range of atleast hitting the guy to descope them. If it wasn't for glare I would have died so many times trying to kill closer enemies because I didn't see the sniper first. Like I said glare nerfs the niche of 'long range ambush/stop dancing in the open' power weapon.
In older Halo's I'd engage a target, die to a sniper and then have to have knowledge of where the sniper spawns, where the best spots are to use it, and how to get to them without loosing my head.
Yes camping is cheap, but it's still a legitimate strategy. So is running around no-scoping people as well as moving from spot to spot to make use of the snipers advantages without getting pinned down as fast. All glare does is punish people for holding a vantage point with a sniper rifle... Which is what the weapon is meant for...
I’m not a fan of it. If a player doesn’t have the map awareness to determine that someone is continually killing them from the same spot, they have bigger problems. I see lens flare the same way I do countdowns on weapon pads. It’s just an attempt to make the game more streamlined
If they make the sniper a bit harder to use I would be in favor of removing it. ButBut in H5 almost anyone who picks it up immediately transforms into Snip3down lol. I think its a good counter for it being so easy to use.
I want them to get rid of anything that isn't the classic 'No lights on enemy weapons that can be seen at stupid ranges'.

Seriously, turn off the dang flashlight on the Shotgun. It's broad daylight.
I think the only time the sniper scope should ever glare is if there is literally light shining right on it, and the glare should really be barely visible, but apparent for slight immersion 🤷🏻‍♂️ to be honest I could do without, although unfair raids would take real advantage of that, especially on players that aren't as sweaty.
I want them to get rid of anything that isn't the classic 'No lights on enemy weapons that can be seen at stupid ranges'.

Seriously, turn off the dang flashlight on the Shotgun. It's broad daylight.
I agree completely. If it was pitch black though, I'd just use my helmet lamps or a night vision filter.
Yup, ditch it. It has no reason to exist on a weapon designed for long range, stealth killing.
Paper trails are all you need, no lens flare.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4