1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
tsassi wrote:
So the options are
  1. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell only when it's fired so people must learn to spot or predict its use thus making it harder to use against equally or higher skilled opponents.
  2. Give players a skill rewarding weapon with limited ammo and a very obvious tell when it is merely aimed at someone, allowing opponents of any skill level to spot and counter or avoid its use making it less of a power weapon because it's niche in the sandbox of 'long range ambush/stop dancing in the open' weapon is crippled by making it so obvious.
Seeing that there is a player with a sniper rifle on your screen isn't much of a skill. If you are in the position of seeing the glare, you have already already either succeeded or failed at predicting your opponent. If you have failed, the benefit of the glare to you is only marginal. The Sniper Rifle is hardly crippled by this. If you can't hit an opponent you're aiming at (since they can see your glare), your sniping skills are the problem.
No, the problem comes that as soon as you zoom in anyone with LoS to you knows you have a sniper, you don't even need to use it to give away your position. I can't count how many times I've turned a corner and almost immediately thrustered backwards because of the glare. Only to go back round the corner already aiming where it was, and I'm not exactly amazing at the game.
So an average player can spot, avoid and counter a sniper in under a second because of glare giving them away and how effective even the pistol is at a good range of atleast hitting the guy to descope them. If it wasn't for glare I would have died so many times trying to kill closer enemies because I didn't see the sniper first. Like I said glare nerfs the niche of 'long range ambush/stop dancing in the open' power weapon.
In older Halo's I'd engage a target, die to a sniper and then have to have knowledge of where the sniper spawns, where the best spots are to use it, and how to get to them without loosing my head.
Yes camping is cheap, but it's still a legitimate strategy. So is running around no-scoping people as well as moving from spot to spot to make use of the snipers advantages without getting pinned down as fast. All glare does is punish people for holding a vantage point with a sniper rifle... Which is what the weapon is meant for...
You can argue the same for snipers. If people keep boosting out of your cross hair you should not keep the scope trained on a corner or location for too long. It ups the skill gap between mediocre and good snipers.

I think sniper glare is fine and encourages mobile snipers which is inline with Halo-esque gameplay.
I think the lense flare solely depends on the META of Halo infinite...
If I can boost slide across the map, hover over cover and quick scope you with an innacurate reticle, server lagg and like 50000% bullet magnetism and hitscan then YES we should have lense flare.

But if they decide to make sniping more difficult then lense flare should be removed, I think it suits H5 well because most of the time you die before you can see the flare and a high level player wont give you the chance to react.

I think it’s too early to give a proper opinion on this yet
tsassi wrote:
This is completely fine. Halo has always been a game where player visibility is everything, and camping ought to be heavily discouraged. On smaller maps it is not much of a problem to begin with, but on larger maps this sort of glare should make players with the sniper easier to spot at distance, which in turn would encourage snipers to be more mobile. This mechanic is completely within the ethos of Halo's gameplay, and I'd be okay with it being in future games.
Then maybe just have it show when the player is very distant, but not visible when the player is closer
I didn't truly understand why it was there either, in other Halo games we all knew where the Sniper was, the only Halo game that gave me any sort of hard time finding the Sniper was Reach. I felt Halo 4 and 5's maps are too small to have this problem.
They obviously added it because other games have the feature. I don't mind it, as it discourages camping. My problem with it is that it is so obvious. They could keep the glare but make it much harder to spot. I think part of the reason that the glare is there for the sniper and the flashlight is there for the shotgun is to give players more info on their opponent to better inform their strategy. Those power weapons aren't as easy to spot based on their model as say a rocket launcher where it is huge and the spartan holds it differently than any other weapon. I can go either way on this, but to remove it needs a better reason than "it doesn't make sense" or "we have the bullet trail".

Can someone remind me if the glare is there only when scoped in? Or is it always there when the sniper is out? It has been a while since I've played Halo 5.
Why most players here still want those skill-gap to prove you are Halo hardcore? Halo population is getting lower and lower, making the game easy to play for most players isn't a bad thing.

Just play some Super Fiesta games please, many players even can't master those one-hit-kill weapons in Halo 5. Make snipers just like that in Halo: Reach again.
Can someone remind me if the glare is there only when scoped in? Or is it always there when the sniper is out? It has been a while since I've played Halo 5.
Scoped in, only. If you pull off a snapshot, the opponent won't see a lens flare.
skydogcom wrote:
Why most players here still want those skill-gap to prove you are Halo hardcore? Halo population is getting lower and lower, making the game easy to play for most players isn't a bad thing.

Just play some Super Fiesta games please, many players even can't master those one-hit-kill weapons in Halo 5. Make snipers just like that in Halo: Reach again.
343 has over-complicated most aspects of the game (too much visual and auditory information that doesn't benefit the game in a positive way, and obviously gameplay mechanics but I'd rather not get into that in this thread), and it's why I think it's less approachable as a game to a casual player. Halo 2 and 3 were so easy to pick up and play.

343 just doesn't know how to keep things simple. Simple is accessible.
Chimera30 wrote:
Scoped in, only. If you pull off a snapshot, the opponent won't see a lens flare.
Tbh, if they kept this feature I wouldn't mind it that much. I would just quick-scope before shooting against better players. It's more the principle of the matter that annoys me - Adding mechanics that change how a game plays but doesn't really benefit gameplay.
Chimera30 wrote:
That's what I thought. This is something that I think the lens flare adds to the game, when and when not to scope in. Other than removing your radar, prior Halos did not punish you for constantly being zoomed with a sniper.
Another aspect to consider is that in a sniper v. sniper battle, if you are scoped in on eachother, the glare is so bright it washes out the heads making headshots more about luck than skill at that point. I don't care if players see the glare from my sniper, I'm not at a level where they can react like top tier players so I'm either going to whip out a nasty head shot, or biff it. But I feel it punishes players at lower skill levels because they are the ones most likely to be camping in more open areas. I'm not sure I'm ok with that. FYI, I'm no beast, but I'm not one of the lower skill players either.
agreed there was no real reason for them to be added in the first place
Just put this on giant map and remove on little, and make this option on custom maps?
yeah, please no flair, that's just annoying. I didn't care much about the binary having it in halo 4 but then halo 5 comes up and puts a big flashlight on the sniper and let's not forget about the super bright impossible to miss beam rifle lens flare.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4