Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

So if it is not Open World, what exactly is it?

OP MrSid117

Hey guys. In the latest Inside Infinite blog post, Joesph Staten confirmed that Halo Infinite is NOT an open world game. This is what he said.
"As you read this month’s update and look at the screenshots, you might have the same question I did when I joined the team last Fall: What kind of game is Halo Infinite?
Infinite’s world is incredibly large, and its vast combat zones connect seamlessly to each other. Its vistas are filled with adventures that entice you to stray from the golden path story missions. From a distance, it might appear that we’re building an open world game, but that’s not really the case. We’re making a Halo game; a sandbox shooter where our goal is to make you feel like the most powerful actor in a rich, emergent, sci-fi combat simulation."
So my question is.. what exactly is it? Is it like a semi open world game having open world sections, and we can access them anytime, from anywhere? Are we going to have loading in between these sections?
Because it doesn't seem to have a regular Campaign Missions structure. Do we have to approach a waypoint to start a particular mission like we do in a semi open world game(or an open world game, for that matter)?
I don't think we'll absolutely know until 343 properly spells it out, but the impression I'm getting is we're just getting bigger, open levels, like how Silent Cartographer or the level Halo was.

Both those levels let you do things in different orders, it didn't lead you through a series of corridors or valleys from point A to point B, with there being not atlernative.

The side objectives that have been teased are probably an extension of this.
MrSid117 wrote:
Hey guys. In the latest Inside Infinite blog post, Joesph Staten confirmed that Halo Infinite is NOT an open world game. This is what he said.
"As you read this month’s update and look at the screenshots, you might have the same question I did when I joined the team last Fall: What kind of game is Halo Infinite?Infinite’s world is incredibly large, and its vast combat zones connect seamlessly to each other. Its vistas are filled with adventures that entice you to stray from the golden path story missions. From a distance, it might appear that we’re building an open world game, but that’s not really the case. We’re making a Halo game; a sandbox shooter where our goal is to make you feel like the most powerful actor in a rich, emergent, sci-fi combat simulation."
So my question is.. what exactly is it? Is it like a semi open world game having open world sections, and we can access them anytime, from anywhere? Are we going to have loading in between these sections?
Because it doesn't seem to have a regular Campaign Missions structure. Do we have to approach a waypoint to start a particular mission like we do in a semi open world game(or an open world game, for that matter)?
I don't think we'll absolutely know until 343 properly spells it out, but the impression I'm getting is we're just getting bigger, open levels, like how Silent Cartographer or the level Halo was.

Both those levels let you do things in different orders, it didn't lead you through a series of corridors or valleys from point A to point B, with there being not atlernative.

The side objectives that have been teased are probably an extension of this.
For me the message was simply to try and dial back the rampant speculation there's been in some quarters that it was basically going whole hog Far Cry on us and having survival mechanics etc. Think he's also trying to reassure fans it's still a Halo game at its core but with open world elements rather than being an open world game set in Halo universe if that makes sense

I also think that it's an indication there'll be separate areas to the game rather than just one wide-open all the time map - kinda similar to e.g. Witcher 3 or Shadow of Mordor. For one thing being able to segment it like that would definitely help load on older consoles/lower spec PCs. Earlier in the post they were talking about 'beginning' Chief's journey on Zeta Halo in the PNW environment (the hint being we'd see others). Short of corridor/tunnel like sections like in Assault on the Control Room to connect them, it would be pretty jarring to go straight from a PNW section into a Desert section. Mission-wise I suspect what we'll see is multiple mission-type activities taking place in a set area and us travelling between them gives us the time to go off and explore additional things if we want to, before the story then moves us on to another area.
I would assume that there are definitely some linear portions, but that a lot of of the Halo ring part of the game is free roam within certain boundaries. Like you can do small side explorations that will unlock better weapons, pickups, or lore bits, but won't necessarily affect the point A to point B storyline.

Think the level "Halo" in CE, except instead of forced checkpoints for picking up all three sets of marines, it's all optional. You can gun it from start to finish in the warthog if you want, or you can pick up the dudes, learn more about the universe, get 30 sniper rounds, etc.

I expect it to be similar to that, albeit bigger.
I guess it still has missions. Each mission is a massive world where you can follow the mission objectives like the previous games, but you also have the option to stray from the path into a larger open world full of side missions and cool stuff to explore. Each mission is like mombasa streets, you can choose to explore for many hours or you can finish it under an hour by just following the main objectives.

If you complete each mission you can revisit it with a pelican or other type of fast travel system. The missions become connected in a way.
I'm thinking back to the campaign gameplay demo. We were told this was a portion of the game that came a little later in the campaign. Chief and the Pilot wreck the pelican, effectively rendering you stuck in this general area for a short while. I imagine there are a few "missions" that you need to do here to either get the pelican back into flying condition, or find alternate transportation. This is the "golden path". There are probably additional optional objectives or missions that you can do here (take down an anti-air battery, assault a banished outpost, explore Forerunner installation, etc.). These optional or side missions would have minimal to no impact on the story line, but would add more depth to it for those that want it.
Without Cortona in your ear, I wonder how you will be encouraged (or rebuked for that matter) to go a little off mission.
I'm not exactly sure despite them saying it isn't open world it sounds like it is to a degree they been putting saying see those mountains you can go there allegedly every part of the map is accessible and they are all connected so it makes sense we just don't know enough
I'm not exactly sure despite them saying it isn't open world it sounds like it is to a degree they been putting saying see those mountains you can go there allegedly every part of the map is accessible and they are all connected so it makes sense we just don't know enough
I mean I think the question here is really 'how open is open'. There will be boundaries in any open world game. I think Infinite's will be smaller than some, but I still think that it will be absolutely vast.
what i took from it was that the boundaries a really far apart...
MorseyBaby wrote:
MrSid117 wrote:
"As you read this month’s update and look at the screenshots, you might have the same question I did when I joined the team last Fall: What kind of game is Halo Infinite?Infinite’s world is incredibly large, and its vast combat zones connect seamlessly to each other. Its vistas are filled with adventures that entice you to stray from the golden path story missions. From a distance, it might appear that we’re building an open world game, but that’s not really the case. We’re making a Halo game; a sandbox shooter where our goal is to make you feel like the most powerful actor in a rich, emergent, sci-fi combat simulation."
-snip-
For me the message was simply to try and dial back the rampant speculation there's been in some quarters that it was basically going whole hog Far Cry on us and having survival mechanics etc. Think he's also trying to reassure fans it's still a Halo game at its core but with open world elements rather than being an open world game set in Halo universe if that makes sense

I also think that it's an indication there'll be separate areas to the game rather than just one wide-open all the time map - kinda similar to e.g. Witcher 3 or Shadow of Mordor. For one thing being able to segment it like that would definitely help load on older consoles/lower spec PCs. Earlier in the post they were talking about 'beginning' Chief's journey on Zeta Halo in the PNW environment (the hint being we'd see others). Short of corridor/tunnel like sections like in Assault on the Control Room to connect them, it would be pretty jarring to go straight from a PNW section into a Desert section. Mission-wise I suspect what we'll see is multiple mission-type activities taking place in a set area and us travelling between them gives us the time to go off and explore additional things if we want to, before the story then moves us on to another area.
I've been dreading that the whole game is a stab at a Halo-Far Cry hybrid. I guess I just don't see the point in having gigantic open levels if there's nothing in them. Yeah, I can go to that mountain all the way away from the action, but what's the point? Is there loot in this game? Should there be loot? When I play a Halo game, it's not uncommon for me to hop on a singular level just for giggles, I mean hell, there are playlists in MCC dedicated to certain level types. That's what a Halo campaign is.

I'm cool with large, expansive levels, as long as they're ultimately a linear level with a beginning and end. I don't want to be dropped in a large area, and have to go do arbitrary objectives and wait for the next bunch of instructions in the same environment. Far Cry, and it's outposts and upgrade systems, aren't a Halo campaign. Halo levels are handcrafted and it's all about the sandbox the players find themselves in. The levels are notable because of the specific characteristics and conditions that give them life.

What makes Truth And Reconciliation in Halo CE memorable? Is it the sniper? the Nighttime stakeout? Boarding a covenant ship? The contrast between each half of the mission is part of why it's such a great level. It's very linear, but it doesn't hold your hand and point in the correction direction to go either. Open world games aren't like that. They give the players options, let players choose what gear to take into missions, let them pick what upgrades to have. What if I never upgrade my grappling hook, and the cliff level sucks because I don't have the reduced cooldown? Is there really even a reason to have an upgrade system in the game, other than to bloat the playtime to make me complete side objectives?

We've had side objectives before, in Halo Reach or ODST they can lead you to weapon caches or AI reinforcements. Those were great because they lended themselves great to large, open levels that were still ultimately linear. I don't wanna have to go hunt down the Banished General on the far east side of the map to let my grapple hook have a 7 second cooldown. I just wanna play the story and have fun in the sandbox, the way the sandbox was intended to be enjoyed. I don't want ripples or inconsistencies in how the toys in the sandbox perform because of optional objectives that largely deviate from the main level.

We've had a stab at a pseudo open-world Halo Game. ODST's open world was constantly at night, ultimately had a linear progression that made the story confusing if you didn't do it in the right order, and had enemy patrols that didn't feel as thoughtful as each linear mission that broke the open world up. Each of those linear missions had a character, a Tank level, a sniper level, etc. The open world was constant throughout the whole game, only changing once the end became a linear level.I know people really wanted to explore a Halo ring, but what makes it worth exploring? Most of the Halo series doesn't even take place on a Halo. And every time you're on a Halo, it's a vividly different environment than the previous level. You spend maybe an hour casually exploring an environment before moving to the next, how long am I going to be looking at the same pacific-northwest environment before it changes? Will there be anything in space? on a giant floating facility in a gas cloud? The factory we just explored drastically changed by the a cruiser full of flood crashing into it?

What kind of variety are we really getting with this game?
Sandbox shooter. We don't yet really know what form that will take.

We've seen an upgrade tab, but we don't really know what that means exactly or how it will be implemented into whatever exploration we will be doing. There is no leveling or crafting system, and I believe 343i have stated somewhere that what all these upgrades do is simply expand upon the sandbox. They could just be new equipment systems like the grappleshot or something else entirely.

We know there will be a map with markers, which I'm a bit iffy about. Points of interest being marked on a map kind of defeats the purpose of exploration if you ask me. This feature is very clearly meant to follow a popular trend, since modern games cannot survive without minimaps apparently.

I don't have many worries about the environment and map diversity, although I am curious about whether there will still be both linear and non-linear levels utilized strategically throughout the experience. What made classic Halo, and many of these classic games in general very appealing is how non-formulaic they usually were, in the sense that at any part of the campaign you could run into something new and never before seen that throws you for a loop. I hope Infinite has that.
MorseyBaby wrote:
I mean I think the question here is really 'how open is open'. There will be boundaries in any open world game. I think Infinite's will be smaller than some, but I still think that it will be absolutely vast.
Yea the fact they mentioned that many people probably won't see the kill boundary tells me it's a really vast explorable halo campaign and I'm so down for it
I’m thinking it will be a semi open world. Think like Metal Gear Solid V where you had a Hub world and would accept missions.

though if they go with this approach I do hope they incorporate some actual Liner Halo missions here and
there.

another one is like maybe ODST? You’re on the ring exploring going to an area to start the actual Halo level.
what they probably mean is that while the game takes place in an open-world play-space, the game plays like a halo game instead of a traditional open-world game. Normally, open world games feature some sort of crafting system, randomized loot, survival system, and often a non-linear story. 343 has already stated that these features are not going to be in infinite.
what they probably mean is that while the game takes place in an open-world play-space, the game plays like a halo game instead of a traditional open-world game. Normally, open world games feature some sort of crafting system, randomized loot, survival system, and often a non-linear story. 343 has already stated that these features are not going to be in infinite.
Yea that sounds about right
It probably might be something like Borderlands Locations or Destiny Patrols n term of size
I think Infinite is going to be like a lot like you described, there will be no shortage of places to explore and side missions/quests but you can choose to completely ignore those and just play the main storyline with no major consequence for doing so.
The closest model from another game that I can think of is probably Gears 5. The campaign was basically linear but had two open world-like sections where you could wander around and find some outposts that needed to be cleared or other areas where there were collectibles or upgrade points to obtain. I imagine Halo Infinite will be structured very similarly but with more open sections than just two chapters. Or perhaps you will have main mission objectives where once you enter a place you will have to complete that mission and then you get spit back out into the open world after.
The closest model from another game that I can think of is probably Gears 5. The campaign was basically linear but had two open world-like sections where you could wander around and find some outposts that needed to be cleared or other areas where there were collectibles or upgrade points to obtain. I imagine Halo Infinite will be structured very similarly but with more open sections than just two chapters. Or perhaps you will have main mission objectives where once you enter a place you will have to complete that mission and then you get spit back out into the open world after.
This is my bet as well, I think the Gears 5 model is very much what could turn out to be true.