Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Some bits of good news

OP Tariq9898

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In Sean W's most recent video, he talked about Jeff Grubb's notion on what type of game Infinite might turn out to be.

https://youtu.be/mcpSEHYjqfg

Long story short, it's turning more into the classic side of things rather than catering to the mainstream audiences such as battle royale, COD, Fortnite, Apex, and etc. Halo fans will love Infinite, but the mainstream audience may or may not be into it.

One of my biggest fears was 343 putting too much effort in trying to chase an audience rather than expressing itself and attracting the right kind of audience.
I feel like Halo has always catered to the mainstream in some fashion. It's a flagship franchise. It has to.
I feel like Halo has always catered to the mainstream in some fashion. It's a flagship franchise. It has to.
Halo 1-3 did because Bungie confidently expressed itself creatively and people loved it. At the time, Halo wasn't trying to copy and chase trends.
Tariq9898 wrote:
Halo 1-3 did because Bungie confidently expressed itself creatively and people loved it. At the time, Halo wasn't trying to copy and chase trends.
Halo 5 is pretty confident imo. Instead of tiptoeing, they went full on
Tariq9898 wrote:
They did. However, they were chasing trends at that time. Bungie was confident whilst also not trying to turn Halo into something it wasn't.

Infinite seems to be on that path as well.
Tariq9898 wrote:
They were pretty confident
But we already know sprint, slide, and clamber will be in the game, like any other recently released shooter game (COD, Borderlands, Battlefield, Far Cry, Destiny, etc.), so it doesn't look like the game will play like traditional Halo. Instead, we're getting some kind of hybrid game, with some sandbox focus and some player mechanic focus. I'm not sure how they can pull this off, honestly.
EDIT: It's important to treat bits of info like this with a grain of salt. This could just be a ploy to get everyone hyped for this game, only to disappoint us at release. *cough* Halo 4, Halo MCC, Halo 5 *cough*
I already know that I will love it... It's Halo :-)
I already know that I will love it... It's Halo :-)
That's the Spirit, not the dropship that is.
This tells me that H5's microtransaction revenue may have mostly come from long term Halo fans rather than players who weren't with the game for long. Otherwise it would be hard to financially justify a F2P model under the context that the game really is being targeted at traditional Halo players rather than mainstream gamers.

Maybe I'm crazy though.
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
But we already know sprint, slide, and clamber will be in the game, like any other recently released shooter game (COD, Borderlands, Battlefield, Far Cry, Destiny, etc.), so it doesn't look like the game will play like traditional Halo. Instead, we're getting some kind of hybrid game, with some sandbox focus and some player mechanic focus. I'm not sure how they can pull this off, honestly.
EDIT: It's important to treat bits of info like this with a grain of salt. This could just be a ploy to get everyone hyped for this game, only to disappoint us at release. *cough* Halo 4, Halo MCC, Halo 5 *cough*
I think sprint and clamber are crucial to modern games. And besides, Spartans should be able to run and climb, but it seems like spartan charge and ground pound are removed, which I think is a good thing. Overall, I think a hybrid game could go really good or really bad, depending how they execute it, especially with the story, and from what ive seen and heard so far, I think it could go either way. I honestly think 343 needs to keep most of halo 4 and halo 5's Characters, giving some of the less popular ones better development, and building from there. For example, if they just drop Locke or Blue team, it wouldn't fix any of halo 5s problems. But if they give them proper development, they could easily improve it, and even make halo 5s story seem better in the long run.
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
I think sprint and clamber are crucial to modern games. And besides, Spartans should be able to run and climb, but it seems like spartan charge and ground pound are removed, which I think is a good thing. Overall, I think a hybrid game could go really good or really bad, depending how they execute it, especially with the story, and from what ive seen and heard so far, I think it could go either way. I honestly think 343 needs to keep most of halo 4 and halo 5's Characters, giving some of the less popular ones better development, and building from there. For example, if they just drop Locke or Blue team, it wouldn't fix any of halo 5s problems. But if they give them proper development, they could easily improve it, and even make halo 5s story seem better in the long run.
Sprint and clamber are certainly not crucial to modern games. After all, games like counter strike stuck to their roots and are still insanely popular to this day. Halo 3 witnessed the golden age of Halo and it was the last game to feature classic gameplay. After Halo 3, changes were made to Halo's formula to make it more "modern" and the series' popularity plummeted since. Arguing that sprint and clamber make sense because "realism" is not a good way to defend these mechanics because that defense can be used for literally anything. Why not have a prone mechanic in Halo? Spartans are capable of doing that. And so on.
People have already explained in detail how features like sprint and clamber negatively affect Halo's classic gameplay. If you're interested in how, there are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining it.
Are we implying Bungie didn't chase trends either? The reason why Halo 3 ODST and subsequent Halo games had firefight or a horde based survival mode was because other popular games at the time were doing it too(most notably games like Gears of War with it's Horde Mode). The problem that Halo 4 and 5 had was never that they were using ideas from other games. I personally believe that so long as said ideas can coexist with the standard Halo formula in a way that doesn't detract from the experience and it's implemented well than I'm fine with select additions to the games. Halo 4 and 5's problems were the way they implemented these ideas actively went against the standard Halo formula. In Halo 4's case loadouts are not an inherently bad idea and should still exist for custom game, but it's something that I don't think has any place in multiplayer with how they did it.

In Halo 5's case, while it still has that Halo feel to it, its definitely does not play like one. It's in own unique category where if it didn't have the Halo brand associated with it, people probably would have liked it more as a standalone title(at least on the gameplay front). All of this is why I'm curious about how Halo Infinite is going to do things. With clamber, sprint, and slide they clearly don't want to completely abandon everything they did with 5, but the gameplay trailer also gives me classic feel to it's gameplay. It feels way more slower paced compared to 4 and 5. It definitely feels like they want to set a balance to try and get old fans back on while also appeasing the 4 and 5 fans by not completely throwing them under the bus.
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
Sprint and clamber are certainly not crucial to modern games. After all, games like counter strike stuck to their roots and are still insanely popular to this day. Halo 3 witnessed the golden age of Halo and it was the last game to feature classic gameplay. After Halo 3, changes were made to Halo's formula to make it more "modern" and the series' popularity plummeted since. Arguing that sprint and clamber make sense because "realism" is not a good way to defend these mechanics because that defense can be used for literally anything. Why not have a prone mechanic in Halo? Spartans are capable of doing that. And so on.
People have already explained in detail how features like sprint and clamber negatively affect Halo's classic gameplay. If you're interested in how, there are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining it.
What's counter strike population. I don't know anyone that plays it. I know people that play apex n cod
Halo should be looked at more like CS GO and Valorant rather than Call of Duty. I think 343 has been all in making it game for the core fans rather than to appease the mass market.
That sounds good to me. Took 10 years but they might have finally figured it out, if that is true at least.
Tariq9898 wrote:
Long story short, it's turning more into the classic side of things rather than catering to the mainstream audiences such as battle royale, COD, Fortnite, Apex, and etc. Halo fans will love Infinite, but the mainstream audience may or may not be into it.
That statement contradicts everything we have seen so far on Infinite: Gameplay, Customization, Microtransactions, etc.
I'll believe it when I see (or play) it...
Keep a focus on classic Halo gameplay overall, but keep in certain movements such as sprint and clamber to help the game feel more natural to those outside of Halo. I'm down for it, as long as I have fun with it!
mike2k132 wrote:
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
What's counter strike population. I don't know anyone that plays it. I know people that play apex n cod
Check out the stats in steam. CSGO is consistently in the top 3. It usually competes with DOTA 2 for the number one spot. Its peak today was ~910,000. For a 2012 game, that's not so bad.
EDIT: It's worth noting that is the number of concurrent players. And keep in mind, CSGO has no sprint or clamber. Its core gameplay hasn't changed since its inception because the entire franchise is dependent on its simple yet complex gameplay. Imagine if Halo also stuck to its roots. Halo 4 could've reached numbers greater than Halo 3. But instead, 343i changed everything while Halo was at the height of its popularity. It's really sad.
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
mike2k132 wrote:
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
Check out the stats in steam. CSGO is consistently in the top 3. It usually competes with DOTA 2 for the number one spot. Its peak today was ~910,000. For a 2012 game, that's not so bad.
EDIT: It's worth noting that is the number of concurrent players. And keep in mind, CSGO has no sprint or clamber. Its core gameplay hasn't changed since its inception because the entire franchise is dependent on its simple yet complex gameplay. Imagine if Halo also stuck to its roots. Halo 4 could've reached numbers greater than Halo 3. But instead, 343i changed everything while Halo was at the height of its popularity. It's really sad.
Wait didn't bungie do that with reach 🤔
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2