Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Sounds from recent YouTube video by 343I

OP HaloBungie343I

Wondering what everyone thinks about the sounds in the recent YouTube video by 343 Industries. What could they represent? What could they be used for? What vehicles are each representing? Etc.

Video can be found here.

Another channel, Owl, has been posting the videos from 343 Industries' Instagram regarding the same thing.

His videos can be found on his channel here.

Some are obvious. 0thers I am unsure. What do you all think?
It's worth keeping in mind that any one of those sounds by itself doesn't probably represent a particular vehicle. Some of those fighter jet sounds could hypothetically be used as part of really any Covenant vehicle. That helicopter sound could be for a vehicle like the Falcon, but it's also entirely plausible that it could be used for some other vehicle in some subtle way. Or maybe it's not a vehicle at all. I could imagine the high tones of that last fighter jet sound used in something like the Forerunner beacons. You can never be completely sure with foley work.
Nice to see new stuff from the 343i team. I think that tractor is definitely going to be used for some kind of rotary aircraft, but as for the jet I would agree with tsassi that they have tons of application with covenant/high-tech vehicles. love the detail they went through with this, like how the recorded the noises from driving on dirt.

I am usually a competitive arena player, but depending on how open world Infinite is I might just have to practice my vehicle maneuvering. Halo 5 is pretty easy, but I wouldn't be opposed to them making it a challenging thing as long as it is rewarding for those who get the hang of it.
tsassi wrote:
Or maybe it's not a vehicle at all. I could imagine the high tones of that last fighter jet sound used in something like the Forerunner beacons. You can never be completely sure with foley work.
The youtube video says they are all vehicle sounds, I don't think it would be anything else. But I only emphasize that because I think a jet in infinite would be so dope! haha
tsassi wrote:
Or maybe it's not a vehicle at all. I could imagine the high tones of that last fighter jet sound used in something like the Forerunner beacons. You can never be completely sure with foley work.
The youtube video says they are all vehicle sounds, I don't think it would be anything else. But I only emphasize that because I think a jet in infinite would be so dope! haha
Oh, I didn't read the video description. It's pretty clear then. But now that I read it, at the end they say about what I tried to say, which was that these sounds will probably end up getting dissected and combined for many different vehicles in ways that mask the origin of the sound. Like, I'm pretty sure that the jet sounds are going to see use in Covenant vehicles, and there will not be a literal jet in Halo Infinite.
Sounds can also be altered in pretty creative ways. One of the songs in Doom 2016 used synthesized chainsaw noises
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Oh, I didn't read the video description. It's pretty clear then. But now that I read it, at the end they say about what I tried to say, which was that these sounds will probably end up getting dissected and combined for many different vehicles in ways that mask the origin of the sound. Like, I'm pretty sure that the jet sounds are going to see use in Covenant vehicles, and there will not be a literal jet in Halo Infinite.
I agree. I watched a video on the making of one of the Sniper Elite titles. The bit about bones breaking has changed how I view a stick of celery forever lol. It's literally draw dropping what the sound / audio effects team used. 343i sound team will be the same I expect.
I just hope all this beauty won't be covered again by the most annoying hit marker sfx I've ever heard in videogame history! The high pitched shield recharge sound and annoying red status warning was a bizarre choice to say the least, but luckily that was ditched already!

Seriously, H5 has already an amazing sound design, but than they ruined it with terrible UI sounds and badly timed music. I don't understand how one aspect can be so professionally made and showcase so much love for detail, just to ruin it with really immersion breaking and badly designed gameplay overlay sounds. I was so disalpointed about the sound fx in H5 because of that and I hope to see a better work done in Hi! For me that was alwaysaa strong point in every Halo before five, even H4 did a great job even though I hated the music.

Give ma sfx-boys some respect and don't cover their amazing job please! After seeing those videos I say they deserve it! 🤘😎
I personally think that some of the vehicle sounds used will be mixed and matched with other sounds to create covenant/human vehicle sound effects but Im sure some like that huge tractor could be used in other ways too for environmental sounds.It'd definitely be very immersive if sound effects were dependant on how far you are from them and I'd love to see that be a thing.
I love how 343i are giving us a sneak-peek slightly into the making of the next Halo game. The different sounds sound amazing and I'm sceptical of the tractor looking machine and whether the sounds could be altered slightly to make what they are looking for in the game
It’s fun to speculate and glad to see 343i put this video out. Some of our guesses are correct like mine of the suv driving in the dirt will be used for vehicles driving over dirt haha.

In the past however some vehicles like the Mongoose for example, are mixed and mashed together. The Mongoose sounds in a past game were of a dune buggy and a Vespa type scooter.

I however must admit in this lastest video when they were playing aroubd on that huge tractor it made think of the Elephant, Scorpion Tank didn’t even cross my mind ubtil I read some comments. So here’s to hoping the Elephant returns!
Anyone notice that SONY product placement?? Sarcastic Cross-Platform Hype, begin!!
MysticKami wrote:
Anyone notice that SONY product placement?? Sarcastic Cross-Platform Hype, begin!!
Sony makes more than the PlayStation. I believe they actually own three different companies other than PlayStation Entertainment. These companies don't make as much as The PlayStation brand, however and will soon be consolidated into a single company last I heard.

I love some of the ideas. It seems they are using animal sounds as well. I guess it is all but confirmed we will see Brutes and Flood. Maybe a lot of wildlife as well!

I hope we see the "buggers" again as well since humanity now has a much larger control of the Engineers, whoever we fight may need to have their ships repaired somehow. That was the original use of the Buggers.
Personally I think the tractor is actually too guttural for a Human vehicle apart from maybe a Mammoth. Perhaps a Chopper or Prowler?
I have an interesting theory. As many of you probably know these audio clips are old and were initially posted without context. Now they are being posted with context this first batch of recordings is vehicles. I predict next we will get a compilation of the guns but the video after that will be the most interesting it will be a compilation of enemy sounds containing flood sounds. If you go check "owl" channel on youtube and look at audio recording #1 at time 1:46, I am confident that is a flood sound but currently has no context. My theory comes in light of the recent leaks about an early May Microsoft reveal conference. So these audio recording will lead into that reveal.
I have an interesting theory. As many of you probably know these audio clips are old and were initially posted without context. Now they are being posted with context this first batch of recordings is vehicles. I predict next we will get a compilation of the guns but the video after that will be the most interesting it will be a compilation of enemy sounds containing flood sounds. If you go check "owl" channel on youtube and look at audio recording #1 at time 1:46, I am confident that is a flood sound but currently has no context. My theory comes in light of the recent leaks about an early May Microsoft reveal conference. So these audio recording will lead into that reveal.
Very interesting theory. I find it hard to deny. As I said in the Halo Infinite E3 Trailer Forums, always take a rumor with a grain of salt. No matter how trustworthy. However, that being said, I would completely agree. I am hoping we get the console pricing and release in May (along with Halo Infinite's release and the Games reveal (Halo Infinite's gameplay reveal) in June. I fully believe the console can go Gold (the time the specs are sent to the manufacturer to begin production) sometime in late May/Early June.

There are vehicles, animals, enemies, environments. 4 possible videos that can release. The video was released on a Monday. Let's see if next Monday a new video comes out. This means it will be safe to assume in 5 weeks from last Monday, Xbox will maybe have an Inside Xbox Stream. So, by going off your theory and my own together, the next Inside Xbox may be during the week of May 18th or May 11th.
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Oh but wouldn’t a jet be cool haha 😉 but yeah you are right! I am sure the sounds are very raw compared to the final products we will get!!
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Oh but wouldn’t a jet be cool haha 😉 but yeah you are right! I am sure the sounds are very raw compared to the final products we will get!!
That is the idea of a theory! :) I would like to remind you though, Halo does have a jet in the games. Called a "Longsword Fighter" and Halo: Reach had the "Saber Program." Halo has Jets. The question is will we get to fly one? Or will they actually be present in game?
This is all well and good, but will Staten be voicing the grunts this time around?
Maybe they are redoing all of the UNSC vehicle sounds. I know its going to be interesting either way.