Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Spartan abilities in Halo Infinite?

OP l xLiLKittyx l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In halo 5, were able to ground pound, boost, charge and slide. I am wondering if Halo Infinite would be like Halo 3, No running and spartan abilities. Will 343 bring the Spartan abilities to Halo Infinite?
We know little to nothing about how Multiplayer is going to play out in Infinite , but I’m hoping Spartan Abilities don’t make a return
It's possible, anything is at this point since we know so little about the game due to not having seen any actual game play footage. And seeing how a lot of people do and do not want them, who even knows what they'll decide?
Honestly I want both (sort of)

In social and ranked have an evolved and classic play list. Ranked will only be slayer whereas social will have objective gamemodes as well as slayer.

Classic will have no sprint or abilities. Base movement speed will be up
Evolved will have sprint and abilities.
I wonder if they will not remove them outright but just tone them down. Eliminate spartan charge and ground pound? Truthfully I don't think they will ever eliminate Sprint. It has now been in 3 Halo games, I think that ship has sailed.
I honestly think they will go back to the OG trilogy movement mechanics . If they drop ground pound and and spartan charge it is basically a clone of every major shooter out there as far as movement mechanics ..
The reboot season is in full swing all the AAA francishes ATM ,, after the remaster trend , and of course the advanced movement one , so I'll be absolutely shocked if it isn't a classic play style in infinite, I'm also expecting a simpler more parred back weapon sandbox as well but that's a subject for another day .
I prefer when they were sort of an inventory system and not a general ability.
Honestly I want both (sort of)

In social and ranked have an evolved and classic play list. Ranked will only be slayer whereas social will have objective gamemodes as well as slayer.

Classic will have no sprint or abilities. Base movement speed will be up
Evolved will have sprint and abilities.
Possibly the best compromise. In custom games you could always remove anything from the game such as a certain weapon or pickup (Which is why I don't consider Reach a bad game just because of Armor Lock).

I would still prefer if special abilities were in a restrictive inventory system much like weapons. Sure you could Ground Pound, but that would replace your sprint.
The more varying games I play, the more mixed feelings I have towards certain abilities. I do think sprint will make a return; having sprint tied to your shield recharge rate did help with balancing. If not returning, the base movement speed needs to be increased alot! Maybe instead of thrusters, have a dash mechanic that allows you to side-step quickly- add some super human agility to the super soldier. I love the slide mechanic, adds more map traversal elements and just feels cool to slide into cover or out of enemy fire. And I loved clamber, allowing for more vertical traversal and allows for player to gain vantage points. I'm mixed on stabilizers and thrusters. However, I'm in favor of removing both ground pound and spartan charged. Too gimmicky.
Now onto ADS, or Smart Scope: I like the idea that went against the mold of traditional ADS, where your movement speed and aim speed was significantly reduced. I liked how using ADS in Halo 5 didn't inhibit movement based movement.
I liked how weapons like the AR, and Shotgun got that slick Augmented Reality overlay and an enhanced zoom-like function, it was cool.
But I understand that certain weapons having ADS really limited initial weapon balance. And even made some weapons obsolete, for the most part. Maybe weapons like the SMG and AR need to tone down bullet magnetism and be more reliant on projectile base, rather than hit-scan. I think all weapons need to be projectile based for that matter. Increase that skill base and add alittle more realism.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share.
Thrusters, spartan charge and ground pound I feel should be a spartan abilities you can pick up and use.
Sprint should remain as a standard ability and using it prevents shield regeneration. Every spartan ability from halo reach and 4 should come back and be pick ups in certain maps.
We know absolutely nothing in terms of abilities but I think it's safe to assume they will be present in some form.
I'd like Sprint, Boost, and Slide back, but that's about it. Also hope that they add a classic playlist for those who like living in 2007
I'd like Sprint, Boost, and Slide back, but that's about it. Also hope that they add a classic playlist for those who like living in 2007
Sprint slide boost , pretty much the go to movement set for every generic shooter ? Might as round it off with clamber just to complete the set .
Sprint slide boost , pretty much the go to movement set for every generic shooter ? Might as round it off with clamber just to complete the set .
Ok, maybe not boost, but clamber should be there. Besides, what's wrong with those abilities? If real-life soldiers can do those things, than a genetically enhanced Spartan could definitely do them as well. It'd make sense. That's why people like Halo 5's movement style. And besides, newcomers would enjoy it rather than just walking pace
I just hope abilities wont return to Infinite, at the very least not in a form that they were in H5g.

Though I doubt abilities will be removed entirely either, likely there will be some changes.
Ok, maybe not boost, but clamber should be there. Besides, what's wrong with those abilities? If real-life soldiers can do those things, than a genetically enhanced Spartan could definitely do them as well. It'd make sense. That's why people like Halo 5's movement style. And besides, newcomers would enjoy it rather than just walking pace
I think having the generic movement set with shooters ( sprint, clamber, slide) there just isn't a genuine point of difference, Those movement mechanics arn't bad in fact with games like cod, bf, Apex with fast time to kill they work quite well.
Classic halo has the genuine point of difference its movement mechanics complement its longer time to kill as do games like Doom 2016 with its combat loop encouraging a in your face dynamic even Titanfall with the combat being split between pilot/Titan.
The cool thing halo has now experimented and tried out these other systems that other games employ and learned that classic movement mechanics fit halo the best.
This is a very oft-discussed and contraversial point on the Waypoint forums and has been ever since Bungie put Armor Abilities in Reach. "Enhanced mobility," by any other name is undoubtedly game-altering; the argument comes in around whether it's an enhancement or if it just throws the whole Halo formula off.

I started off firmly in the camp of believing that Armor Abilities and features like Spartan Abilities were enhancements to the game rather than demerits; I still agree with this idea on a strictly PvE and Campaign level. As long as enhanced mobility options are well designed and comfortable and intuitive to execute, they lend serious credibility to the feeling that you're a bad-Yoink! - future super soldier.

On the other hand, though: enhanced mobility of any stripe deeply complicates and throws a wrench into competitively balancing a fun and meaningful PvP Halo experience. Traditionally, Halo multi-player was a mid-paced game featuring a very strong but not overly complex sandbox identity. Movement was vertical and directional in about equal measure (Jumps were critical for evasion/mixups/etc.) The golden triangle as defined by Bungie at the time said Halo was a balance between Gunplay, Grenades, and Melee. But what wasn't as clear at the time was how critical movement dynamics played into the balance and feel of the game, especially in regard to pacing.

So Bungie and 343i have given it an honest shot, by now. Bungie tried to make Reach feel balanced by making Sprint one of several bizarre (some way more gamebreaking) Armor Abilities which you could equip. Halo 4 gave everyone sprint and kept the formula of another optional armor ability. Halo 5 went for the gold in expirimenting with Armor Abilities by standardizing the Spartan Abilities as we know them now, and making them base traits for every player. I remember there being a marketing push that this was in an effort to make the balance more even and "traditional" by removing alternate player advantage/disadvantage from AA's. It sort of did this, but it created as many or more problems than it solved in other areas (map design, weapon balancing, etc.).

Halo's sandbox has never been about having the fanciest variety of options to use as a player (the original DOOM games in some ways exceed Halo CE's sandbox complexity at least with regard to weapons and movement pacing). Halo has always been about having a distinctive, intermediately complex sandbox and moderate player movement speed and mobility, which creates a fairly even-keeled competitive MP environment.

This relative simplicity made Halo the competitive phenomenon it was in the mid to late 00's. Abandoning it is a huge reason for the decline of the series' popularity.

So, will it come back in Infinite? Likely in some form or another. It's definitely hard to put this particular genie back in the proverbial bottle, given how many players like the basic idea and appeal of enhanced player mobility (again, admittedly I like it in PvE modes.) But if they want to make the Halo game that will remind everyone of the glory days of the series, they'll need to minimize these mobility mechanics and re-simplify the weapons sandbox.

TL;DR (I got pretty carried away there!) :

Halo 5 threw enhanced mobility at the wall in the biggest way yet, and it didn't particularly make for a better tuned/balanced MP (Certainly not compared to classic Halo). They can go back to the well on it and hope that this time it's favorably received instead of a huge point of contention. Or they can re-simplify and try to get Halo back to its status-quo for feel-of-play.
I think Spartan Abilities will be making a return.
I like sprint, slide and clamber. I think those need to make a comeback for sure, not to speed up gameplay, but to enhance level design, allowing designers to make more vertical maps, and small tunnel workarounds for flanking.

I've warmed to the idea of having certain armor/spartan abilities toggle on or off. Maybe call them armor overrides; a faster sprint ability would make you faster, but in even shorter bursts and would take more shield energy. Or a deft movement mechanic that would allow your Spartan to side-step left or right quickly and roll forward or backwards.
Just some ideas.
Using other major shooters as inspiration , I was thinking about what mechanics they haven't tried in halo thus far in the series especially when you consider its only had 3 titles of advanced movement mechanics to play with ,it's a pretty short list
- mantling
- going prone
- double jumping
- wall running
- grappling hook
- loading gun while ADS
-swim
might have missed one or two but you get guys get the point .
MrDeath130 wrote:
I wonder if they will not remove them outright but just tone them down. Eliminate spartan charge and ground pound? Truthfully I don't think they will ever eliminate Sprint. It has now been in 3 Halo games, I think that ship has sailed.
As a bumper Jumper I want them to. I had nads on D pad.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2