Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Spartan abilities in Halo Infinite?

OP NoxthFace

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'd like Sprint, Boost, and Slide back, but that's about it. Also hope that they add a classic playlist for those who like living in 2007
Sprint slide boost , pretty much the go to movement set for every generic shooter ? Might as round it off with clamber just to complete the set .
Ok, maybe not boost, but clamber should be there. Besides, what's wrong with those abilities? If real-life soldiers can do those things, than a genetically enhanced Spartan could definitely do them as well. It'd make sense. That's why people like Halo 5's movement style. And besides, newcomers would enjoy it rather than just walking pace
I think having the generic movement set with shooters ( sprint, clamber, slide) there just isn't a genuine point of difference, Those movement mechanics arn't bad in fact with games like cod, bf, Apex with fast time to kill they work quite well.
Classic halo has the genuine point of difference its movement mechanics complement its longer time to kill as do games like Doom 2016 with its combat loop encouraging a in your face dynamic even Titanfall with the combat being split between pilot/Titan.
The cool thing halo has now experimented and tried out these other systems that other games employ and learned that classic movement mechanics fit halo the best.
No. What Halo learned though is that 50 percentage of people enjoy smooth and fun gameplay while the other 50 want to go back to 2007. Of course, you have your own opinion, but this is my view of things
I'd like Sprint, Boost, and Slide back, but that's about it. Also hope that they add a classic playlist for those who like living in 2007
Sprint slide boost , pretty much the go to movement set for every generic shooter ? Might as round it off with clamber just to complete the set .
Ok, maybe not boost, but clamber should be there. Besides, what's wrong with those abilities? If real-life soldiers can do those things, than a genetically enhanced Spartan could definitely do them as well. It'd make sense. That's why people like Halo 5's movement style. And besides, newcomers would enjoy it rather than just walking pace
I think having the generic movement set with shooters ( sprint, clamber, slide) there just isn't a genuine point of difference, Those movement mechanics arn't bad in fact with games like cod, bf, Apex with fast time to kill they work quite well.
Classic halo has the genuine point of difference its movement mechanics complement its longer time to kill as do games like Doom 2016 with its combat loop encouraging a in your face dynamic even Titanfall with the combat being split between pilot/Titan.
The cool thing halo has now experimented and tried out these other systems that other games employ and learned that classic movement mechanics fit halo the best.
No. What Halo learned though is that 50 percentage of people enjoy smooth and fun gameplay while the other 50 want to go back to 2007. Of course, you have your own opinion, but this is my view of things
I have no desire to go back to 2007, in fact I think 343i did a pretty solid job with spartan abilities in H5 , as for smooth and fun gameplay it absolutely wasthen again but so was H2A mcc and the H3 throwback list in guardians which also highlighted how good modern halo with 4k and 60fps can be with classic movement.
A game where you stop and start constantly isn't smooth, sprint is so broken off-spawn that their only solution was to stop shield recharge, that in itself being unfun. Halo doesn't have insta-kill times and it isn't run-n-gun, why does Halo constantly have to look to games with quick kill times (CoD, BF, Titanfall, Destiny) for ideas? They're all dying shooters anyway. The current pop of H5 isn't even 10% of what it was at its peak, probably not even 25% of what H3 was this far into release either. Going back isn't the full resolution, 343 have dropped the ball on many fronts, but being a poor mans version of another game is a recipe for failure.

If 343 is to copy trends then lets go with the resurgence of bringing games back to their roots / capturing the essence of what made them great (Odyssey / BotW / RE2 / sonic mania / DMC5) none of those games are clones but all of those games recognise the special features the past had and expanded upon them, that is what i want with Halo and the CoD / advanced movement chasing is a direct impasse to that.
Yeah, why do we have to suffer these ancient movement mechanics that existed in 2007 like *checks notes* Sprint, clamber, and friends.....
I do enjoy myself some smooth and fun gameplay, it's just that the last time we had that was in 2007.
(Well, technically 2008, with ODST and the Mythic Map packs releasing.)
WerepyreND wrote:
Yeah, why do we have to suffer these ancient movement mechanics that existed in 2007 like *checks notes* Sprint, clamber, and friends.....
Correct. And it's not like they were new even back then. Clamber is more than two decades old, sprint at the very least three...
A game where you stop and start constantly isn't smooth, sprint is so broken off-spawn that their only solution was to stop shield recharge, that in itself being unfun. Halo doesn't have insta-kill times and it isn't run-n-gun, why does Halo constantly have to look to games with quick kill times (CoD, BF, Titanfall, Destiny) for ideas? They're all dying shooters anyway. The current pop of H5 isn't even 10% of what it was at its peak, probably not even 25% of what H3 was this far into release either. Going back isn't the full resolution, 343 have dropped the ball on many fronts, but being a poor mans version of another game is a recipe for failure.

If 343 is to copy trends then lets go with the resurgence of bringing games back to their roots / capturing the essence of what made them great (Odyssey / BotW / RE2 / sonic mania / DMC5) none of those games are clones but all of those games recognise the special features the past had and expanded upon them, that is what i want with Halo and the CoD / advanced movement chasing is a direct impasse to that.
I think the movement mechanics in H5 certainly worked quite well to a degree there no denying that. but I think the classic Halo formula gives it a distinct point of difference that is proven to work very well. in a very saturated feeling of sameness among shooter titles.
I think the movement mechanics in H5 certainly worked quite well to a degree there no denying that. but I think the classic Halo formula gives it a distinct point of difference that is proven to work very well. in a very saturated feeling of sameness among shooter titles.
Personally, I consider them to be the worst of the entire franchise. Sprint has been made infinite, exponentially increasing the toll it takes on gameplay. Tying the shields to it and adding desprint did absolutely nothing to alleviate the issue of escapability given that 343 also now permanently added thrusters, allowing you to circumvent any detriments the game throws at you. Lastly, they didn't even bother to fix the double melee problem, opting for a Cop-Out instead, by turning it into an "intended" gameplay mechanic when adding spartan charge. "Remember kids, it's not a bug, it's a feature."

But regardless of how you might feel about the quality of the gameplay, by definition it's not "smooth": Sprint separates the game into two disjunct parts, that is "movement mode" and "combat mode". Even the change in movement speed itself is abrupt, not gradually.
I thought halo 5 was good with abilities. Definitely have a toggle on/off in customs and have a classic game mode.
I feel like they should make a natural evolution of these and make basic body movements a thing. There's no reason a spartan can't crawl on the ground etc.

As in for other abilities, maybe make a double jump think but then you don't have access to thrusting left or right. Just an idea to suit to your play style.

"(CoD, BF, Titanfall, Destiny) for ideas? They're all dying shooters anyway." You're right about BF, Titanfall, and Destiny, but CoD is no where near dying

You mention AC Oddyssey as a game that went back to it's roots, but it went no where near it's roots. In fact, it just copied off famous RPGs like The Witcher and The Elder Scrolls.

"(CoD, BF, Titanfall, Destiny) for ideas? They're all dying shooters anyway." You're right about BF, Titanfall, and Destiny, but CoD is no where near dying

You mention AC Oddyssey as a game that went back to it's roots, but it went no where near it's roots. In fact, it just copied off famous RPGs like The Witcher and The Elder Scrolls.
Mario Odyssey* Also CoD has had a huge dip since black ops 2 trying to do what Halo did and 'find itself' by straying further away from what made it popular. The new one has a huge amount of hype running for it and all they did was promise to be closer to their original formula (same for Halo Infinite), though that might be jeopardised if they pull anti-consumer business tactics.
At first I wasnt a fan of Spartan Abilities, but after a while they grew on me. I still think Halo 2 and Halo 3 were the best Halos, but if they made good abilities I dont think it would hurt the game.
I don't want most of them coming back.

I didn't mind clamber. Even though I didn't mind thrust as well, I preferred evade from reach.
I’m sure we’ll see a return of sprint and clambering/mantling. And I feel the game needs them. As for ground pound, I could see that not coming back. The dodge mechanic I’m still unsure if we’ll see it return. I’m 50/50 on it. Same with ADS stabilizer/hover.
Spartan Abilities, based on how the game appears to be ripping wholesale from the original trilogy, are looking unlikely from my perspective. If they do return, they shouldn't gain complexity but lose some. No more charges or pounds as they add an almost uncontrollable aspect to combat. Without those, the dodge loses its necessity. Mantling works as a way to indicate jumps as being too high, so it's fine. Sprint stays, mostly because fast movement across larger maps is a decent addition - keep the downside of losing your shield recharge because it provides a good cost to overuse.

Things like prone, double jumping, wall-running, swimming, all of those things only complicate the main combat sandbox in a way that makes it near impossible to balance. Halo is a game where shot placement is king. Anything that could make shot placement more difficult to fully comprehend makes it less polished to play. If anything, Halo has to distance itself from other major shooters in this field.

Back to basics. Whoever got the better shot off wins. Spartan abilities only complicate that formula.
Just my two cents. Halo 5's movement is amazing, its a good evolution to Halo. I mean, I LOVE Goldeneye for N64... but I don't want to devolve to their mechanics.. you can't even jump! With that said, being able to sprint, slide, clamber and even the use the thruster FEEL like Halo, the evolution of Halo that is. Something that feels incredibly NOT Halo on the other hand, Spartan Charge and Ground n Pound... Theres nothing more irritating to me as an OG player as being Insta killed by those two abilities when I otherwise would have had a complete upper hand.

So MY opinion, the movement is fine in 5, all of it... just not Charge Ground n Pound and hover.. Those in my OPINION need to go.
I'd much prefer a classic style game over a game inundated with spartan abilities. However, if only abilities like spartan charge and ground pound were removed in Infinite, it would be a vast improvement over Halo 5.
I hope they’re gone. Sprint messes with map pacing, clamber makes precision jumping a meaningless skill, thrusters don’t feel right with the game, groundpound/charge are gimmicks, boost is ok but can be kind of a cheap way out of a fight. With longer ttk I’m a game like halo abilities that get you to cover super fast mess with the flow, slide is just a product of sprint.
I hope they’re gone. Sprint messes with map pacing, clamber makes precision jumping a meaningless skill, thrusters don’t feel right with the game, groundpound/charge are gimmicks, boost is ok but can be kind of a cheap way out of a fight. With longer ttk I’m a game like halo abilities that get you to cover super fast mess with the flow, slide is just a product of sprint.
See I disagree. Sprint, clamber and thrusters were perfectly acceptable additions to movement in Halo. I FULLY understand being upset at the the loss of precision jumping, it truly was a skill! But its time to move forward. The game plays good! It still feels like Halo (other than Spartan Charge and Ground n Pound, those NEED to go).

But I wanna be clear.. I don't think we should have any MORE advanced movement. For example Titan Fall is a FANTASTIC game! BUT, that level of moving with wall running and whatnot would kill Halo.
Spartan Abilities, based on how the game appears to be ripping wholesale from the original trilogy, are looking unlikely from my perspective. If they do return, they shouldn't gain complexity but lose some. No more charges or pounds as they add an almost uncontrollable aspect to combat. Without those, the dodge loses its necessity. Mantling works as a way to indicate jumps as being too high, so it's fine. Sprint stays, mostly because fast movement across larger maps is a decent addition - keep the downside of losing your shield recharge because it provides a good cost to overuse.

Things like prone, double jumping, wall-running, swimming, all of those things only complicate the main combat sandbox in a way that makes it near impossible to balance. Halo is a game where shot placement is king. Anything that could make shot placement more difficult to fully comprehend makes it less polished to play. If anything, Halo has to distance itself from other major shooters in this field.

Back to basics. Whoever got the better shot off wins. Spartan abilities only complicate that formula.
THIS 💚

Only thing I don't completely agree with is I think thrusters (dodge) are also a good addition just like sprint.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3