Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Spartan generation choice

OP A Sweet Hamster

I think for Halo Infinite, it would be cool to be able to chose what generation spartan you wanna be in multiplayer. 2’s have Halo 3’s Spartan design, Spartan 3’s have halo reaches and spartan 4’s have Halo 4 and 5’s. This would only be cosmetic though nothing that effects gameplay of course.
Kind of an interesting idea and I'm generally all in favor of as many customization options as possible. I'm not sure if this one works from a lore standpoint, though. Halo 3 armor and prior is MJOLNIR Gen 1, and I believe that the Reach armor is even prototypical of what we see in Halo 1-3. So even the older gens of SPARTANs are issued the most current MJOLNIR sets available.

I'm more in favor of a newer GEN 3 MJOLNIR that more closely resembles and takes aesthetic cues from classic Halo armor.
That actually would be a great idea and would fit well into the whole 'multiplayer is just a simulation arena', because it could demonstrate the 2's and 4's cooperating in the ring with what the 3's who didn't move on to become 4's can do.

I'd probably be a 2 all the time even though the 4's are pretty cool.
Kind of an interesting idea and I'm generally all in favor of as many customization options as possible. I'm not sure if this one works from a lore standpoint, though. Halo 3 armor and prior is MJOLNIR Gen 1, and I believe that the Reach armor is even prototypical of what we see in Halo 1-3. So even the older gens of SPARTANs are issued the most current MJOLNIR sets available.

I'm more in favor of a newer GEN 3 MJOLNIR that more closely resembles and takes aesthetic cues from classic Halo armor.
I honestly forgot about how there’s no more gen 1 armor. It’s all gen 2 now. Dang. Haha
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah that would be cool.

Isn't the Gen 2 kind of mostly like the bodysuit and firmware and stuff? We get stuff like MK IV and VI Gen I sets and even the MK IV in game is said to mostly use old components just with firmware updates (and of course a different techsuit under the armor.)

Isn't the Gen 2 kind of mostly like the bodysuit and firmware and stuff? We get stuff like MK IV and VI Gen I sets and even the MK IV in game is said to mostly use old components just with firmware updates (and of course a different techsuit under the armor.)
They say that yet they can also use the integrated thrusters that Gen 2 has now.

On topic. I feel like this is just a way to get armors from other halos back. While they could do this, they could also just add all if not most of those armor to a spartan 4s armor customization. Also it's not like it specifically says that you are playing as a Spartan 4 anywhere in game in Halo 5. So, there nothing stopping you from saying your spartan is a spartan 2 or 3 and I doubt that would change in infinite.
@TruncateComb: Absolutely, the defining differences between the MJOLNIR GEN 1 and 2 sets are mainly in the unifying structure/body suit instead of in the armor pieces themselves. But as a lot of people have noted with regard to colored vs plain black undersuits in Halo games, that can make a fair difference. Codpieces (or lack thereof) are another example of GEN 1 vs GEN 2 sensibilities.

This means that in broad strokes the designs of armor sets designed for the GEN 1 platform can be adapted (and slightly altered) to be compatible with GEN 2 MJOLNIR, but I personally have yet to see a set that I believe does this convincingly from the aesthetic perspective, mostly because a very real part of the original sets in question was the GEN 1 platform. The difference between the unifying elements of the undersuits and how the armor are worn definitely impact the look of the whole package.

I've heard some other explanations for why the old sets (mostly MkV and MkVI) look a little funky on the GEN 2 platform, most notably the different proportions of the SPARTAN player models that make certain elements of the armor look stretched out, bloated, or condensed to accommodate. Between that and the different MJOLNIR platform I can definitely understand why they look so slightly off.

That's why I think a GEN 3 MJOLNIR platform can be a good way to solve both of these issues, if they were to make the proportions more akin to older-school Halo and making the undersuits all-black and less hyperfuturistic. Of course that's all just my subjective opinion, but I feel like it would be a big help.
I think for Halo Infinite, it would be cool to be able to chose what generation spartan you wanna be in multiplayer. 2’s have Halo 3’s Spartan design, Spartan 3’s have halo reaches and spartan 4’s have Halo 4 and 5’s. This would only be cosmetic though nothing that effects gameplay of course.
Hopefully the new spartan design is so awesome, even if we have another option it's so good no one wants to use anything else anyway
I feel like adding codpieces and simply having a variety of techsuits would make all the difference honestly. It's all preference though. Believe it or not but some people think it makes sense not having the good ol' space diaper. I guess with some sets I could see, but I'm all for groin protection.

Edit: Anyone notice how some techsuits for 5's campaign characters were unique versus multiplayer spartans? (Palmer got a black undersuit too)

2nd Edit: Opinions on having a sort of height slider? This would only be limited to customs and PvE as a choice obviously.
I like this idea, what if there is a way to mix the armor generations, like if I want to use a halo 3 helmet with a gun 2 armor
I think as a multiplayer mechanic you should start as a spartan 1 and work your way up to spartan 4
Ya that would be nice.