Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Spartan II Multiplayer & Spartan IV Multiplayer

OP xAXIOS

If the multiplayer ships separately from campaign (possibly a f2p multiplayer) what if 343 gave us the chance to give us 2-3 different Halo MP experiences.

With Spartan 2 MP it sticks to classic gameplay mechanics (no sprint, no spartan abilities), game modes (like Invasion, which possibly allow you to play as Elites as well), and maybe equipment.

Spartan 4 MP is similar to Halo 5 with spartan abilities possibly minus the spartan charge and removal of ground pound. This MP would also introduce new game modes.

only problem I see is which one would be used for competitive?

3rd MP experience could be a ODST battle royal type of game mode, and return to using health packs.
xAXIOS wrote:
If the multiplayer ships separately from campaign (possibly a f2p multiplayer) what if 343 gave us the chance to give us 2-3 different Halo MP experiences.

With Spartan 2 MP it sticks to classic gameplay mechanics (no sprint, no spartan abilities), game modes (which possibly allow you to play as Elites as well), and maybe equipment.

Spartan 4 MP is similar to Halo 5 with spartan abilities possibly minus the spartan charge and removal of ground pound.

3rd MP experience could be a ODST battle royal type of game mode, and return to using health packs.
I think different game modes sure, but I don’t think having 3 different multiplayer experiences would be wise.

I understand that it would try to please all crowds but sometimes you’ve got to make a decision and stick by it. There’s always going to be someone who doesn’t like the game. Angry people are just a vocal minority. That’s why H5 is talked down upon so much.

The playerbase would be separated so much later into the games life cycle.

Also the game mechanics from campaign then wouldn’t translate over to MP. Games are a universal experience, what I learn from X should translate to Z.
That's effectively three different games, way more development than just doing one. I'm down for a BR though but maybe somewhere down the line as it's own title.
Having 3 different playerbases in one game is a terrifying thought, especially in terms of sandbox balancing. Might as well make 3 different games at that point.
xAXIOS wrote:

With Spartan 2 MP it sticks to classic gameplay mechanics (no sprint, no spartan abilities), game modes (like Invasion, which possibly allow you to play as Elites as well), and maybe equipment.

Spartan 4 MP is similar to Halo 5 with spartan abilities possibly minus the spartan charge and removal of ground pound. This MP would also introduce new game modes.

I feel it would divide the community as some people would only play their preferred gameplay. We saw this in Halo: Reach where there was vanilla gameplay, title update gameplay, and MLG gameplay where each option was vastly different.
This isn't happening. First off 343 already rejected the rumor that multiplayer and campaign are shipping separately, secondly they aren't going to be making duplicates of every map and weapon and everything else that requires balancing. At the end of the day, Infinite is going to play one way and we'll just have to enjoy it or not. It's hard enough to polish gameplay in one style.
Yeah like others have said, that's three games in one essentially. It's her enough to do one let alone three. I definitely am not in favor of this idea. Focus on one style and go with it. As I've said another posts, if you want Halo Battle Royale or Halo the RPG then Microsoft should just make separate games entirely like they did with Halo wars. Don't try to integrate this stuff into the main Halo series.
Spartan 2s can't run.
I don't think a single entry in a series should have multiple totally different types of gameplay. Halo Infinite needs its own gameplay style, just like Halo 4 and 5 had, whether it ends up being good or not. And as someone else mentioned, it would take an entire rebalancing of the gameplay mechanics to make this work. The reason the bullet magnetism in Halo 5 is as high as it is is because of how the advanced movement makes everything much faster paced. Multiple prominent Halo YouTubers made videos about how.....what was it called, Mythic Slayer I believe? It was a playlist in Halo 5 that was basically a stripped down version of the game, something closer to classic Halo, but they noticed how the weapons just don't really work in a game with a more classic style of movement. Everything was too easy to use. We could very well see a similar situation in Halo Infinite if the game had multiple completely different styles of gameplay

Halo Infinite needs to be Halo Infinite, not several games in one
Chimera30 wrote:
This isn't happening. First off 343 already rejected the rumor that multiplayer and campaign are shipping separately, secondly they aren't going to be making duplicates of every map and weapon and everything else that requires balancing. At the end of the day, Infinite is going to play one way and we'll just have to enjoy it or not. It's hard enough to polish gameplay in one style.
Thank you - completely agree with this.

At most we might get some modes (or settings within customs) where you can disable features like sprint. That's it.
xAXIOS wrote:

I don’t know about this. I feel like by pandering to everyone it’ll end up literally dividing the player base even more. they should just pick a style and go with it. Most fans seem to prefer the original gameplay style from H2 and H3 including myself and honestly I think by offering a unique gameplay that you can’t find in other shooters it would be a positive overall as long as the gameplay still feels fast.
Wouldn't really make a difference since all Spartans are equal in performance in Mjolnir armor. Plus while they aren't as clear about the Spartans we play as in more recent multiplayer (likely for our imagination's convience), it's safe to say they want to believe we're playing as Spartan-IVs.
That would require multiple weapon sandboxes to account for differing mobilities and weapon ranges. Not a great call at all. You can't just have the same weapons for different gameplay styles. Look at the Halo 2 BR in Mythic Arena, it's got insane magnetism to the point of ridiculousness to both make up for the speed and range of gunfights, as well as to make it seem similar to the original weapon which had pretty strong magnetism. Without all the advanced mobility options and the reduced effectiveness of the thruster, the gun is a laser and it sticks out as a little too easy to use
They need stick to a core game-play, stick with it. I'm generally against Halo 5 but we don't need 3 different multiplayer games since that will split the community further.
Also Halo needs to stay away from free to play, 'live service' games since don't want my games to be turned into mindless grinds for unlocks with 3/4 game forced behind a stupid online only restriction, that's what I despised about Halo 5's online restrictions. Personally I would prefer something like Halo 2 or Reach but Halo 5 is where I draw the line since I hated it.

I also know I complain about this enough but the Battle Royale genre needs to stay the hell of way from Halo, never go anywhere near it and I'm not interested in excuses like "we don't have to play the mode" when I'm wanting a game with plenty of features, without it ruining my game due to predatory modes like Battle Royale, Warzone. If I'm paying for a fully priced game I shouldn't be told to 'ignore' features that are directly hurting the industry just because some features are forced.