Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Spartan Laser in Halo: Infinite

OP Esquival

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Esquival wrote:
Just thought of two alternate setups for the Spartan laser should it be included:

- As a plasma-based weapon. Would strip shields of drivers and passengers, but would do little damage of its own.

- As an electricity based weapon. Would function as a long-range EMP weapon, although the shock rifle already kind of fills that niche.

I've also seen someone suggest around here to not have the laser fire in one shot, but basically have it fire for something like one second (or whatever would be balanced). Only if you manage to keep the laser focused on the vehicle during that time would it result in significant vehicle damage (or possibly destruction).

I agree that the spartan laser has been problematic in previous Halo titles, but there's plenty of ways to redesign it into something which fits the sandbox better.
I honestly never have had an issue against having the laser in any halo myself so I can’t really see eye to eye with you or few others who feel the same way. Honestly in my opinion being both killed by and using the spartan laser is fun to me. It really makes it feel like a game that takes place in the future. I mean a laser weapon that charges up and can destroy vehicles? What’s not to love about that, it’s awesome.
I mean, sure, the laser has quite the badass factor, but regardless of whether you like getting blown up by it or not, there's little counter-play available. This worsens especially when people charge the shot in cover, giving any vehicle users little to no time to react to the incoming insta-delete. Besides the suggestions I made/listed there's more in this thread which could turn the Spartan Laser into a more balanced weapon, like this one:
TheDonCJG wrote:
I don’t care if the laser never comes to Halo Infinite. It was too overpowered in all of the games to the point where vehicles were locked in a stranglehold by the weapon.

Halo Infinite offers plenty of new ways to counter vehicles without making the counter too strong.
Weapons like the Skewer are great for damage & knock back power.
Dynamo grenades are a good easy way to stop a vehicle in its tracks as are Shock based weapons.

I honestly prefer the way 343i have handled vehicle counters in Halo Infinite. It provides a lot more options, none of which appear to be too strong or ineffective.

If the laser was to ever return I’d like to see it severely nerfed than it’s previous iterations.
The main issue with SL is that it's just a "Delete-your-vehicle" weapon. I personally like the laser and think a vehicle killer is a good weapon, but it can be better. The charge time and laser pointer are there to make the gun hard/risky to use, but maybe they aren't enough. Here are my 4 ideas:

1. Give the laser 1-2 shots only. This decrease in ammo prevents the laser from killing a whole team of vehicles.

2. Give the laser an alt-fire mode. This secondary fire mode would be designed for dealing with infantry. It fires a weaker beam (Sentinel Beam or Plasma Rifle firing style) that use up 1% per shot. Now the user has to chose if they want to waste their battery on spartans or warthogs. It seems like an easy choice, but if the laser melts spartans, it could be very tempting to waste the charge on infantry and get that spree going.

3. Decrease the damage with the battery. This is the same as #2, but your damage scales with your ammo (i.e. 100% battery does 100% damage, 75% batt. does 75% dam. etc). As you use the laser it become weaker and less valuable. For example maybe a full health tank needs 100% to die in 1 shot or a banshee needs 50%. Should you spend your full power blast on a warthog with a flag or destroy an enemy tank that is oppressing your team? (all shots use up 20% or 25% battery)

4. Combine #2 and #3. This would probably make the laser a much more tactical gun.
I agree that the laser is iconic, and I'd hate to see it go completely. However, with a bit of a creative redesign I think a lot is possible to ensure it will fill a balanced niche in the sandbox.
I'm really happy the Spartan Laser disappear, it was too powerful for online gaming. With a little experience, it only takes a few seconds to destroy a vehicle, it’s too fast, it ruins the gameplay. Rockets and plasma pistols, we can always dodge, fight, but facing the red ray of the laser charging, it only remains to pray.
In a game, in a fight, things must be balanced, so that we can defend ourselves, have the time to use a vehicle with dignity and to die under enemy fire, not be struck down by this weapon without even knowing where it comes from.

For now I don't play enough to have an opinion on the skewer but it seems better
I really wish the conversation would be less focused on what's "too powerful for online gaming" not everything in the sandbox has to be perfectly balanced. The spartan laser doesn't have to spawn on every map. It can be used in the campaign and be very entertaining and fun, and people can use it in custom games.

It's sad how many awesome things have disappeared from Halo for the sake of "balancing the MP sandbox."

Curently I'm surprised by how paired down the weapon options in Halo Infinite are. I haven't been all that impressed by what I've seen so far... I think that the inclusion of weapon skins has made it harder for them to design a lot of weapons, since each weapon has to also be designed with all the skins. I could care less about skins, but would love to see the DMR, the M90 shotgun, the Magnum, the fuel rod gun, the spartan laser, the SMG etc. Lots of very classic Halo weapons seem to be getting dropped. I'm worried that they will add back some of these weapons after release but not integrate them into the campaign, where every Halo nerd will be missing them.
I'm really happy the Spartan Laser disappear, it was too powerful for online gaming. With a little experience, it only takes a few seconds to destroy a vehicle, it’s too fast, it ruins the gameplay. Rockets and plasma pistols, we can always dodge, fight, but facing the red ray of the laser charging, it only remains to pray.
In a game, in a fight, things must be balanced, so that we can defend ourselves, have the time to use a vehicle with dignity and to die under enemy fire, not be struck down by this weapon without even knowing where it comes from.

For now I don't play enough to have an opinion on the skewer but it seems better
I really wish the conversation would be less focused on what's "too powerful for online gaming" not everything in the sandbox has to be perfectly balanced. The spartan laser doesn't have to spawn on every map. It can be used in the campaign and be very entertaining and fun, and people can use it in custom games.

It's sad how many awesome things have disappeared from Halo for the sake of "balancing the MP sandbox."

Curently I'm surprised by how paired down the weapon options in Halo Infinite are. I haven't been all that impressed by what I've seen so far... I think that the inclusion of weapon skins has made it harder for them to design a lot of weapons, since each weapon has to also be designed with all the skins. I could care less about skins, but would love to see the DMR, the M90 shotgun, the Magnum, the fuel rod gun, the spartan laser, the SMG etc. Lots of very classic Halo weapons seem to be getting dropped. I'm worried that they will add back some of these weapons after release but not integrate them into the campaign, where every Halo nerd will be missing them.
Yeah that would be better to let appeare the spartan laser only in campaign and special playlist in multiplayer, but here we are
skewer is a definite replacement and it’s even more balanced. The splaser was an instakill weapon and no vehicle could have a chance to fight back. But the skewer has travel time and less damage, so the vehicle in question being shot at will have time to respond. Also, no, I don’t think that the splaser is coming back
The skewer literally wipes every vehicle off the map and there is no way for you to survive it. At least with the laser there was a chance you could evade the laser because you could see it aiming at you and survive. The skewer is stuck in your vehicle and by the time it warns you about it it’s too late and you’re dead. You can’t get far enough away before it blows up and it hurts vehicle gameplay in a extremely worse way then the laser ever did. I respect your opinion though, we all love halo and want whats best for the franchise.
Ken2379 wrote:
Of course, how else will we play Team Splockets?
FACTS!

I’m the same way bro, taking so much out makes it feel like halo lost its identity and replaced it with a lot of weapons I literally have to watch a YouTube video about just to understand why they’re in the game and how to use them. I never had to do that with other halo myself and I really hate that myself and possibly more will have to do that from here and moving forward in the franchise.
Esquival wrote:
343i's intention seems to be having the skewer replace the role of the the splaser, as a projectile 2-shot is patently more fair than a hitscan 1-shot. though with infinite supposedly having a 10-year roadmap its hard to see such an iconic weapon not being dropped in at some point.
I feel that the Skewer is just another sniper that can be used for vehicles as a after thought weirdly enough. I much rather just have the laser myself.
Isn't the laser just another sniper that can be used on Vehicles, then?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
343i's intention seems to be having the skewer replace the role of the the splaser, as a projectile 2-shot is patently more fair than a hitscan 1-shot. though with infinite supposedly having a 10-year roadmap its hard to see such an iconic weapon not being dropped in at some point.
I feel that the Skewer is just another sniper that can be used for vehicles as a after thought weirdly enough. I much rather just have the laser myself.
Isn't the laser just another sniper that can be used on Vehicles, then?
No, it's not. The laser had a lengthy charge up that prevent us from just pointing and shooting. The Skewer, while harder to use than a sniper, is just a 1 hit kill precision weapon. Worse, it doesn't even need a headshot. I'm not saying the laser is perfect, far from it, but it needs a serious redesign. Honestly 343 could make it closer to the H5 Binary Rifle (a permanent zoom laser pointer (not just when charging), beam is sustained requiring longer exposure and giving the target more time to bail from the vehicle, etc.) They could also take a page out of the Target Locator's book and give it a VERY long cooldown timer so a player can't annihilate 4 vehicles in 20 seconds.

Personally I like both guns and the Skewer is an awesome weapon for the Banished to use against the player.
Honestly I feel the skewer and the Spartan laser are both way too overpowered.
Esquival wrote:
skewer is a definite replacement and it’s even more balanced. The splaser was an instakill weapon and no vehicle could have a chance to fight back. But the skewer has travel time and less damage, so the vehicle in question being shot at will have time to respond. Also, no, I don’t think that the splaser is coming back
The skewer literally wipes every vehicle off the map and there is no way for you to survive it. At least with the laser there was a chance you could evade the laser because you could see it aiming at you and survive. The skewer is stuck in your vehicle and by the time it warns you about it it’s too late and you’re dead. You can’t get far enough away before it blows up and it hurts vehicle gameplay in a extremely worse way then the laser ever did. I respect your opinion though, we all love halo and want whats best for the franchise.
"At least with the laser there was a chance you could evade the laser because you could see it aiming at you and survive"

I'm sorry, what?? That's the biggest load of nonsense I've read on this forum.
It's a hitscan weapon that one-shots fairly slow moving vehicles with big hitboxes. There is no avoiding being shot by the laser, and you're deluded if you think otherwise.

"The skewer is stuck in your vehicle and by the time it warns you about it it’s too late and you’re dead. You can’t get far enough away before it blows up and it hurts vehicle gameplay in a extremely worse way then the laser ever did."

Absolute tripe again. What game have you been playing? The Skewer doesn't fire an explosive bolt, it just does kinetic damage. It honestly sounds like you just drew conclusions from the multiplayer trailer based on that statement. Also, it doesn't one-shot anything bigger than a mongoose, and the projectile isn't hitscan. You're clinically insane if you think it's worse than the laser.

"It's sad how many awesome things have disappeared from Halo for the sake of "balancing the MP sandbox.""

Yeah, such a shame that the developers remove unfun things from the game isn't it?

The spartan laser has always been an incredibly boring and unimaginitive vehicle counter. Also, these arguments to bring it back solely for campaign and/or custom games don't cut it. Halo has more or less always made its sandbox universal i.e the same across campaign and multiplayer, and there are genuine reasons for doing so. It's obvious if they brought back the Laser in campaign for example it wouldn't be long before you lot would start for pining for it to be added it to matchmaking. It sets a terrible precedent. Good riddance
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2