Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Spiker and Brute Plasma Rifle

OP Blast9867

With the Brutes returning in Halo Infinite, I think it would be a good idea to see other Brute armory like the Spiker and Brute Plasma Rifle make their return. What do you guys think?
I do hope to see the spiker return.
I had hoped for those two weapons to return, but it seems that 343 has gone a different direction and created entirely new weapons for the Brutes to wield. I'm not totally against it, since I haven't actually used the weapons yet and want to see how they look and feel in the finished product, but I get the same feeling I have with the invention of the UNSC Sidekick.

Why fix something that isn't broken? We have a brute plasma rifle and a spiker that were very popular weapons. Granted the spiker wasn't the best performing weapon in H3, but that's where the opportunity for ingenuity comes in. 343 could have made the spiker a menace of a weapon in the sandbox but instead just created an entirely new weapon. The models are there and ready to use, so why create an entirely new weapon from the ground up?

I understand the argument that the game needs to be refreshed and have an updated look. I really do. But why not update and refresh the brute plasma rifle? Why not have a new generation of the spiker? Why do we need an entirely new weapon with no ties to the old ones that became so iconic?
I had hoped for those two weapons to return, but it seems that 343 has gone a different direction and created entirely new weapons for the Brutes to wield. I'm not totally against it, since I haven't actually used the weapons yet and want to see how they look and feel in the finished product, but I get the same feeling I have with the invention of the UNSC Sidekick.

Why fix something that isn't broken? We have a brute plasma rifle and a spiker that were very popular weapons. Granted the spiker wasn't the best performing weapon in H3, but that's where the opportunity for ingenuity comes in. 343 could have made the spiker a menace of a weapon in the sandbox but instead just created an entirely new weapon. The models are there and ready to use, so why create an entirely new weapon from the ground up?

I understand the argument that the game needs to be refreshed and have an updated look. I really do. But why not update and refresh the brute plasma rifle? Why not have a new generation of the spiker? Why do we need an entirely new weapon with no ties to the old ones that became so iconic?
It is possible that they could be added at a later date. I mean, look at the new weapons that were added to Halo 5: Guardians back when the game was getting updates and everything that has been added to Halo: The Master Chief Collection: the Battle Rifle in Halo 3: ODST, the SOCOM and the Brute Plasma Rifle itself in Halo 3.

I never found the spiker to be popular nor iconic. When I think of brutes I think of the brute shot and and hammer. In H3 the spiker was useless and in HR I can’t think of a single map that featured it. Infinite could still improve upon it, but it will not be missed if omitted. I’d rather see 343 cook up more powerful and meaty weapons like what we’ve seen so far.

The brute PR already made its return in H5 as a quick draw weapon and I really liked its utility. It was fun to use and it’s presence in H5 gives it a higher chance of returning than the spiker which has been MIA since H4.

I never found the spiker to be popular nor iconic. When I think of brutes I think of the brute shot and and hammer. In H3 the spiker was useless and in HR I can’t think of a single map that featured it. Infinite could still improve upon it, but it will not be missed if omitted. I’d rather see 343 cook up more powerful and meaty weapons like what we’ve seen so far.

The brute PR already made its return in H5 as a quick draw weapon and I really liked its utility. It was fun to use and it’s presence in H5 gives it a higher chance of returning than the spiker which has been MIA since H4.
Yep, as much as I like the design and the idea of the Spiker it just wasn't much good in any of the games it has featured in. The Brute PR was a nice weapon and I would be happy to see it return. There is also the possibility of seeing Brute variants of other Covenant weapons, like a red Plasma Pistol or Beam Rifle.
The Spiker is really fun, I hope it comes back. It'd already be unique in the sandbox in that it has a melee lunge so it competes with other CQC weapons, plus 343 said they want to embrace damage types, so "molten" could be one. Maybe molten ammo would make victims more susceptible to melee damage, going hand-in-hand with the slight melee damage increase Brute weapons already have. We see that the Banished still have them in Halo Wars 2 too, so I would be sad if it suddenly didn't return in Infinite.
How sick would it be if the new heavy spike weapon they put in acted like Anhur’s impale from SMITE. One round before long reload but knocks the enemy back and could skewer multiple Spartans into a wall stuck there for a moment while you swap to your sidekick and finish them with a single bullet to the head. I think that’d be a lot of fun.
I would very much like the Spiker Rifle to return.
I was never a fan of the Spiker, honestly. It looked unique, but in function it was pretty bad, especially since its projectiles were so slow. I wouldn't mind seeing it return if it was reworked and made better, but I wouldn't mind if it didn't come back.

The Brute Plasma Rile is one of my favourite weapons. A short burst to take down shields and then a melee attack or headshot to finish them. I'd take it over the regular Plasma Rifle any day.
i absolutly agree.
Maybe they did add it into the game with a bit of a Banished twist to it. Hopefully they added more blades to make it more intimidating.
343 is trying to distance themselves from having "clone weapons" in Infinite, that's to say they want every weapon to have a unique place in the game's sandbox.

The Brute Plasma Rifle and Spiker were two of the most aggregious weapon clones in the series. However that said, I think based on what we've seen of Infinite's sandbox so far, there is room for them. The BPR could be the Banished's close-range spray-and-play plasma weapon, since so far all we've seen of the Plasma side of things is a mid-ranged utility/plasma hybrid, a heavy splash-damage based weapon, and the Plasma Pistol. While the Spiker could be re-tuned and turned into a low rate of fire, but very high-power if accurately used headshot-based automatic. (I'm thinking like the Hammerburst in Gears 2/3, or the Needle Rifle with TU/Zero Bloom settings but firing a projectile that requires leading your shot).