[Locked] SR 152 Unfair

OP munk07

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
Halo: Infinite will reward players who are SR 152 in Halo 5.

I honestly think this is unfair and insulting to the Halo community. It really bothered me when I heard this news. Why wait so long to tell us this information?

I played all of Halo 5, not just Warzone and Arena. Now I'm lacking a significant amount of XP for a 'special' item in Halo: Infinite.
  1. I played a ton of the campaign, even though it lacked story
  2. I played Arena
  3. I played Warzone
  4. I forged. I have puzzles, octagons and a few 4v4 maps
  5. I have played plenty of custom games
My Total Halo 5 playtime is 168 Days 11 Hours 16 Minutes
I have the Achilles Armor and all the games achievments. Im SR 150.

Did I forget to mention I bought the digital deluxe edition? So because I didn't play my heart out for XP, I won't get anything 'special'.
This isn't about me. This is about a majority of the community tossed to the side because we didn't grind our hearts out.

Anyone still playing the dead game should get something to be honest.

Edit: Some people could have earned SR 152 within the first year or a bit after and completely stopped playing.
Realistically, whatever you reward for, somebody will not get the reward and be upset about it. The optimal solution would clearly have been to give no rewards to anyone for things they've done in past games.

I don't really care for the fairness of it, but frankly, I don't think we should be celebrating XP grinding or putting exorbitant amounts of time into a game because those are both pretty horrible things to glorify. But I'm not in charge here, so it's not like my opinion matters.
I can agree. Aside from MCC, H5 is the Xbone game I've spent the most time in, and I've played it since launch, but I'm nowhere near 152, and probably never will be. I'm just not a grinder.
tsassi wrote:
Realistically, whatever you reward for, somebody will not get the reward and be upset about it. The optimal solution would clearly have been to give no rewards to anyone for things they've done in past games.

I don't really care for the fairness of it, but frankly, I don't think we should be celebrating XP grinding or putting exorbitant amounts of time into a game because those are both pretty horrible things to glorify. But I'm not in charge here, so it's not like my opinion matters.
I completely agree. I only decided to post this because I felt no one else would. I don't feel 'glorified' because I played a ton of Halo, it's just my opinion on how 343I is recognizing certain players for playing XP based playlists of Halo 5.
Rewards should be earned by playing the current game, not past games. I'm also against rewards in Halo Infinite for playing Halo 5. As things stand I'm not buying Halo Infinite, 343i revealing things like this is not helping me change my mind either. It only divides the community more imo. It's a practice that I have always disliked, Battlefield used to do it too, I'm not sure about BF One and BF V, I didn't buy either.
tsassi wrote:

I agree about the XP grinding.

Unlocking Helioskrill and even Mark VI Gen I were fair because they were something you had to beat to accomplish. The XP grind is only a matter of time, while beating Halo 2 on Legendary is a matter of strategy or skill.

Still, the 152 reward is here to stay, although I’ve seen 343 listen to feedback before too. What I find most interesting is a lot of people now going for the grind don’t understand what the final levels are like. I‘ve seen plenty in the 145+ range posting they themselves will never make it.
I'm sure a lot more people would have grinded for 152 during the games prime if they gave us a special helmet or amour in HALO 5. Do you know what you get once you reach 152? A Mantle emblem and a few uncommon reqs. That is the main reason people didn't grind 50 million exp because there was no point to it. I used to sell all of my exp boosts even the legendary ones because at the time I didn't care about the SR in halo 5 because there was no real reward. Now they want to give that reward now after the game is not as popular. I'm not going to lie, I'm going to try to reach 152. I am almost 1/5th of the way there and so far I'm not forcing myself to play it. but they could of bought that 152 motivation with better rewards in halo 5 back when the game first launched.
Um... maybe they just decided that they'd give those players something in H6? I don't see what's wrong with rewarding them, it's a hard goal.
The only thing that bothers me about this is that the reward will be in Hi and not in H5. Doesn't make much sense to me honestly... Also let's say Hi will be different to 5, maybe 343i goes the classic route for real. What if the guy that reached SR152 is not going to buy Hi?

It always bothered me that max rank won't give you anything worthwhile, but rewarding the (small) fanbase of 5 in a future title is not the right way to go either imho.

Give them a special full set armor in H5 instead, let them transfer an equivalent variant to H6 and give... whatever that other reward was to everyone that played MCC or Halo 5 Guardians (or H5 Forge for the PC crowed). I mean, suffering trough the bug infestation of the collection, having to use the Win10 Store or even just playing H5 should be enough for a reward! 😆😂😀

And for the HW2 player base? Meh! The game is actually awesome, so I don't care for an extra reward. No need to apologize for that game!^^

. . .

What? Aren't those rewards apologies for giving us broken or bad games?
To be fair I’m not upset about not getting a reward for reaching Sr 152, I’ll just be happily playing the game

And congrats on the ones who reached Sr 152

But....

don’t be one of those people who would rub the pack in peoples faces, no one likes a Weird flexer.
Um... maybe they just decided that they'd give those players something in H6? I don't see what's wrong with rewarding them, it's a hard goal.
I want to preface what I'm about to say with the disclamer that I don't have strong interest in any rewards for Halo Infinite whatsoever, and am completely fine with the notion of a reward that's totally unattainable to me. I'm of course naturally mildly jealous for other people getting stuff I'm not getting (stuff that I totally don't deserve), but I really don't feel strong enough need to be valited to want a reward.

With that out of the way, reaching level 152 is undeniably a hard goal in the sense that it sucks a lot of time and effort out of a person's life. Many people don't have the opportunity to dedicate that amount of time and effort to a single game, which is what makes it such a coveted goal. However, the goal is not in any meaningful way challenging. A person, regardless of how good they are at any aspect of the game, will eventually get there if they have enough time in their hands. Therefore if you don't see time input as a meaningful accomplishment, like I don't, you might conclude that this accomplishment is not worth a reward. Consequently, it's quite reasonable to upset that people who have accomplished things that you deem much more meaningful are not being rewarded.

Furthermore, what 343i rewards people for is necessarily the kind of world of gaming they're endorsing. In this case, 343i is endorsing spending lots of time grinding away at a game, which of course makes total business sense since they want maximal player engagement since that gives them sales on microtransactions. Considering that grind probably isn't going to be enjoyable all the time, which is the nature of a grind, it's already pretty questionable (though certainly not unexpected) to put business interests ahead of player enjoyment in such a blatant way. On top of that, we can also consider the fact that we know spending lots of time gaming (the amount reaching these very high ranks requires) is not a healthy thing to do. And while many people would of course do it anyway, actively endorsing and rewarding it is, again, somewhat questionable. Then finally, there are goals developers can design into a game that are more interesting and engaging than grinding away at an experience bar. If somebody finds the grind enjoyable, good for them, but every gamer should probably ask themselves whether the developers could have crafted a more interesting challenge than grinding?

As I said in my previous post: I'm not in charge here. 343i are free to reward whoever they want, and it's undoubtedly exciting for those who will get the reward. However, even if it was created with the purest of intentions (which means forgoing all the cynicism about business interests in the previous paragraph), and even if we disregard all the personal gripes one can have with it, it nonetheless endorses certain things that aren't necessarily positive, and sets a precedent for other in-game rewards.
Don't worry. Whatever the reward is, 343 will allow all of us to get it eventually!

*cough* Helioskrill *cough*
Honestly depends on the reward. If 343i just does the same thing Reach did with giving the special name plates for doing x achievement for older Halo games, I don't see much care for a name plate. Though using SR 152 is a bit of a high goal for marketing people to go back to Halo 5 to grind to get it. I can understand tying it to either a achievement that few got or 100% of achievements for Halo 5 because that would generate people going back to Halo 5 to knock out any missing achievements that they didn't do yet.

Armor, cool skin, or armor effect will probably get people upset, especially the people that either skipped Halo 5, skipped the Xbone, or dropped Halo 5. It would be a little negative thing and you don't want too many of those adding up. Especially with disconnected marketing, because that really adds up fast.

Though I do hope that 343 tells us what the reward is and any other reward tied to other halo games a reasonable time before release of Halo Infinite. And if I missed the update or media post telling of what said reward is can someone direct me too said post or livestream.
I’m probably alone here but I think the S152 reward is fair. Also as someone who is far below 152, I believe I’m only at 50 something now, it can still be obtained if you really want it. We still have no official release date and signs are pointing to a 2020 year and most likely the end of 2020.

So we still have almost 2 full years to get it! If that isn’t enough time, to me, you really don’t want it that bad.
Seems fair to me..
tsassi wrote:
I want to preface what I'm about to say with the disclamer that I don't have strong interest in any rewards for Halo Infinite whatsoever, and am completely fine with the notion of a reward that's totally unattainable to me. I'm of course naturally mildly jealous for other people getting stuff I'm not getting (stuff that I totally don't deserve), but I really don't feel strong enough need to be valited to want a reward.

With that out of the way, reaching level 152 is undeniably a hard goal in the sense that it sucks a lot of time and effort out of a person's life. Many people don't have the opportunity to dedicate that amount of time and effort to a single game, which is what makes it such a coveted goal. However, the goal is not in any meaningful way challenging. A person, regardless of how good they are at any aspect of the game, will eventually get there if they have enough time in their hands. Therefore if you don't see time input as a meaningful accomplishment, like I don't, you might conclude that this accomplishment is not worth a reward. Consequently, it's quite reasonable to upset that people who have accomplished things that you deem much more meaningful are not being rewarded.

Furthermore, what 343i rewards people for is necessarily the kind of world of gaming they're endorsing. In this case, 343i is endorsing spending lots of time grinding away at a game, which of course makes total business sense since they want maximal player engagement since that gives them sales on microtransactions. Considering that grind probably isn't going to be enjoyable all the time, which is the nature of a grind, it's already pretty questionable (though certainly not unexpected) to put business interests ahead of player enjoyment in such a blatant way. On top of that, we can also consider the fact that we know spending lots of time gaming (the amount reaching these very high ranks requires) is not a healthy thing to do. And while many people would of course do it anyway, actively endorsing and rewarding it is, again, somewhat questionable. Then finally, there are goals developers can design into a game that are more interesting and engaging than grinding away at an experience bar. If somebody finds the grind enjoyable, good for them, but every gamer should probably ask themselves whether the developers could have crafted a more interesting challenge than grinding?

As I said in my previous post: I'm not in charge here. 343i are free to reward whoever they want, and it's undoubtedly exciting for those who will get the reward. However, even if it was created with the purest of intentions (which means forgoing all the cynicism about business interests in the previous paragraph), and even if we disregard all the personal gripes one can have with it, it nonetheless endorses certain things that aren't necessarily positive, and sets a precedent for other in-game rewards.
Is your opinion exclusive to getting a reward in a future game for doing something in a past game or just grinding for anything in general?
Is your opinion exclusive to getting a reward in a future game for doing something in a past game or just grinding for anything in general?
Well, I'm really opposed to grinding in general, as one could probably see from my post. This reward is just a symptom of a larger issue, but it seems like a good opportunity to discuss what is a good reward and what is a bad reward in a video game.
Honestly I can understand if they give a pre order bonus to all players who pre order. But to reward players who reached a high rank in the worst of halo games. I honestly belive is not needed. Personaly id rather see all players start fresh and be ableto unlock all items ect. As well as start at the same level receive same exp ect.
If you want to talk about fairness I think it's unfair that us folks who were dedicated enough to endure the immense grind in Halo 5 were only rewarded with an emblem.
Unfortunately your feverish dedication to playing the game doesn't entitle you to such a reward.

As someone else said, it's likely the reward will no longer be an exclusive in due time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7