Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

starting weapon

OP CrashingMoney65

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
ive been wondering about what weapons we will start with in a normal match of slayer. My thoughts are keep it the same as halo 5 ar and pistol .However if the pistol is tweaked fom halo 5 to cater to shorter ranges then maybe a BR and something spawn. I don't want to see the h3 slayer loadout with a bad pistol and an ar. a useful presion weapon is a must whether its a dmr a br por a pistol
I’m hoping for BR starts again. It’s just a classic feel.
I don’t mind the Pistol from H5 but it just felt so good on most arena maps that picking up a weapon like a BR wasn’t really necessary anymore.
TheDonCJG wrote:
I don’t mind the Pistol from H5 but it just felt so good on most arena maps that picking up a weapon like a BR wasn’t really necessary anymore.
I found a br and a pistol was a useful loaout in halo 5
TheDonCJG wrote:
It used to be essential until they nerfed the BR later on
I don't care whether it ends up being a Magnum or a BR or anything else as long as we spawn with a strong, versatile headshot weapon tempered by a large skill gap.

Auto starts like we saw in H2, H3, and Reach were and are horrible and should never return. One thing I give 343 massive credit for is the starting weapons in Halo 5, in spite of the few nitpicks I have with the Magnum.
TheDonCJG wrote:
There wasn't much reason to pick up the BR(or anything similar) because for all intents and purposes the BR and default H5 Magnum are the same weapon. There is very little reason to go out of your way to pick up a weapon that does almost exactly the same thing as what you already have, same with the Carbine and to a lesser extent the DMR and LR. We have 5 precision weapons all tripping over each other within more or less the same niche and we don't really have any interesting choices.

Since I don't really see the BR being removed or redesigned given it popularity, it makes more sense at this point to just spawn with a BR and let the other weapons become niche pickup weapons.
WerepyreND wrote:
TheDonCJG wrote:
There wasn't much reason to pick up the BR(or anything similar) because for all intents and purposes the BR and default H5 Magnum are the same weapon. There is very little reason to go out of your way to pick up a weapon that does almost exactly the same thing as what you already have...

... it makes more sense at this point to just spawn with a BR and let the other weapons become niche pickup weapons.
I see where you are coming from, but I would argue range is a factor to pick up a rifle over the magnum. Arena maps are, obviously, smaller, but there are still some lengthy sight-lines where I would prefer a rifle over the magnum. BR starts can lead to objective stalemates more often as everyone can more easily cover long site-lines on any map. I am not saying it is impossible to cover long site-lines with a magnum, but it is harder compared to a rifle.

With that in mind, the magnum becomes useless once BR starts are introduced. Personally, I am against making the magnum a weapon so useless it might as well be removed from the game. Having it fill the roles of "a competent but could be improved" starting weapon is a great place for it. With that being said:
Quote:
We have 5 precision weapons all tripping over each other within more or less the same niche and we don't really have any interesting choices.
You are absolutely right about this. The BR, DMR, CC and especially the LR can feel quite redundant. One could argue for range with the DMR, but that I still think some diversifying is necessary in this part of the sandbox.
WerepyreND wrote:
There wasn't much reason to pick up the BR(or anything similar) because for all intents and purposes the BR and default H5 Magnum are the same weapon. There is very little reason to go out of your way to pick up a weapon that does almost exactly the same thing as what you already have...

... it makes more sense at this point to just spawn with a BR and let the other weapons become niche pickup weapons.
I see where you are coming from, but I would argue range is a factor to pick up a rifle over the magnum. Arena maps are, obviously, smaller, but there are still some lengthy sight-lines where I would prefer a rifle over the magnum. BR starts can lead to objective stalemates more often as everyone can more easily cover long site-lines on any map. I am not saying it is impossible to cover long site-lines with a magnum, but it is harder compared to a rifle.

With that in mind, the magnum becomes useless once BR starts are introduced. Personally, I am against making the magnum a weapon so useless it might as well be removed from the game. Having it fill the roles of "a competent but could be improved" starting weapon is a great place for it. With that being said:
Quote:
We have 5 precision weapons all tripping over each other within more or less the same niche and we don't really have any interesting choices.
You are absolutely right about this. The BR, DMR, CC and especially the LR can feel quite redundant. One could argue for range with the DMR, but that I still think some diversifying is necessary in this part of the sandbox.
The Halo 5 Magnum has better range than every other standard precision weapon except for the DMR at least according to this. So if stalemates are not occurring with Magnum Starts(which they aren't) there is no reason to believe that they would occur with BR starts. At that point we are mostly just changing the weapon model rather than changing the role.

The reason I suggest returning to BR starts for Infinite despite not personally caring whether we spawn with a utility Magnum or Utility Rifle is as follows:
1.) The BR is undeniably popular and as a result I don't see it getting removed.
2.) The BR has remained virtually unchanged throughout its existence and has always been a versatile headshot weapon well suited to being a spawn weapon, while the Pistol has gone through various incarnations that could give it a unique place in the sandbox without needing to be the main spawn weapon.

Stalemates are not caused spawning with a scoped weapon like a BR, they are caused by bad map and gametype design. The only Halo game I can honestly say had issues with stalemates is Halo 4 and that is due to random map ordnance and personal ordnance completely removing any need to move from power positions.

Regarding the DMR and LR I did point out they weren't as redundant as the other 3 weapons. I just think the DMR and LR need to lean into their respective niches a bit more.
I would like to see the return of the Battle Rifle. The BR in Halo 5 has been nerfed so much that it is greatly surpassed by the accuracy and precision of the H5 magnum. The H5 BR simply is not fun to use anymore, and I would like to see the BR get some love in Halo Infinite as a starting weapon.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Quote:
The Halo 5 Magnum has better range than every other standard precision weapon except for the DMR at least according to this.
I don't want to get too deep into an argument, but I am confused by the link you posted. It is specifically talking about how they wanted to make the BR suitable for mid range and the gunfighter magnum suitable for close range. It does not even talk about the regular magnum at all.

I also want to roll back my "stalemate" statement. Imminently after I posted it I realized "I don't have anything to back that up other than my personal experience." I still hold my stance on everything else though.
Quote:
Regarding the DMR and LR I did point out they weren't as redundant as the other 3 weapons. I just think the DMR and LR need to lean into their respective niches a bit more.
My apologies for misinterpreting your stance.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Quote:
The Halo 5 Magnum has better range than every other standard precision weapon except for the DMR at least according to this.
I don't want to get too deep into an argument, but I am confused by the link you posted. It is specifically talking about how they wanted to make the BR suitable for mid range and the gunfighter magnum suitable for close range. It does not even talk about the regular magnum at all.
You have to look at the charts posted at the bottom, specifically the orange precision weapon chart Magnum has better range than everything except the DMR, Aside from that the standard Magnum has a Red reticle range of 68m(when scoped) if I remember correctly whereas past BR's have a RRR of some 60m, so I don't really understand this where this idea that BR starts would cause stalemates comes from.

Utility starts are good for Halo regardless of whether it takes the form of a Magnum or a BR or anything else for that matter.
I would argue for AR starts similar to Halo 3 and Reach. Infinite needs to appeal to a wide range of audiences, even those who have never player Halo. Therefore, AR starts will lower the threshold for new or low skilled players to enjoy matchmaking. BRs are for us - the veterans - and players who are looking for a more competitive than casual game.
I would argue for AR starts similar to Halo 3 and Reach. Infinite needs to appeal to a wide range of audiences, even those who have never player Halo. Therefore, AR starts will lower the threshold for new or low skilled players to enjoy matchmaking. BRs are for us - the veterans - and players who are looking for a more competitive than casual game.
Casual players don't seem to have any problems with spawning with BR or CE/H5 type magnums in BTB and that is as casual as they come. The first weapon ever given to any Halo player was the Pistol. BR starts(and similar weapons) are not "hardcore" settings, it is a basic requirement for Halo to function when everyone in the match more or less knows what they are doing.

If we things to be welcoming to casuals then that is what invisible skill based MM is for. Spawning players with a bullet hose and a garbage pistol like Halo 3 and Reach only leads to even worse one-sided pubstomps happening more frequently. Players at the bottom end of the skill curve won't really be able to utilize a BR(or similar weapons) to their full potential anyway so as long as they still spawn with a simple auto weapon in addition to the BR(or Strong Magnum or another utility weapon) there shouldn't be a problem.
The standard issue Mangum needs a range nerf from Halo 5. It's nonsense that it outclasses the BR currently. It should be proficient at close range - outside of that the BR and DMR should take over as precision weapons.

I'd also push for the AR & BR to have similar range (with the BR being slightly longer) since they're both technically assault rifles - the main difference between the two being function of the gun in automatic vs. burst fire.

Then I think you can have playlists that are AR start and those that are BR start.
Quote:
Players at the bottom end of the skill curve won't really be able to utilize a BR(or similar weapons) to their full potential anyway so as long as they still spawn with a simple auto weapon in addition to the BR(or Strong Magnum or another utility weapon) there shouldn't be a problem.
I think for lower players the AR/Magnum starts may be best, but make the magnum considerably weaker than BR and other rifles (especially AR up close).
The standard issue Mangum needs a range nerf from Halo 5. It's nonsense that it outclasses the BR currently. It should be proficient at close range - outside of that the BR and DMR should take over as precision weapons.
The standard issue Magnum could use greater damage fall-off, and maybe a larger randomizer for bullet trajectory. This would increase its capacity as a close-range weapon, while giving the BR a chance to shine.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Quote:
Players at the bottom end of the skill curve won't really be able to utilize a BR(or similar weapons) to their full potential anyway so as long as they still spawn with a simple auto weapon in addition to the BR(or Strong Magnum or another utility weapon) there shouldn't be a problem.
I think for lower players the AR/Magnum starts may be best, but make the magnum considerably weaker than BR and other rifles (especially AR up close).
I'd also push for the AR & BR to have similar range (with the BR being slightly longer) since they're both technically assault rifles - the main difference between the two being function of the gun in automatic vs. burst fire.

Then I think you can have playlists that are AR start and those that are BR start.
Rick is right here, with the BR or AR being playlists. Or, we could go for choosing a load-out that cannot be customized. The game rules would state these options: Everyone starts with AR/magnum load-out, everyone starts with BR/magnum load-out, or everyone chooses which of the two they prefer. This gives games more fairness and new players more of a chance since they get to pick which gun they can start with.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Quote:
I would prefer a solution that doesn't make the Magnum literally useless. Again, if casuals can handle BR/AR(or something like H5 magnum/AR) in BTB there is not reason they can't in 4v4. There is no reason to split the game with two different settings.

Precision weapon starts =/= hardcore, it is just the bare minimum required to keep matches even and fair.
BR
No Bloom
No Spread
4 Shot Kill
Low AA + BMag
I like the Halo 5 magnum / assault rifle.

They give you enough versatility over close to mid ranges that your first thought isn't 'I need a weapon'.

But neither are good enough for you to run past other options.
Imagine they bring in #carbinestarts lmao? I could definitely see this in some kind of Covenant spin-off.
BR
No Bloom
No Spread
4 Shot Kill
Low AA + BMag
I 1000% agree with this.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2