Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Story speculation and most wanted things to happen

OP StrictLeaf5

Hello all, this is my first forum post and so I have a question for all! What do you all want most from the story, what speculation do you have, and what overall do you not want?
There are only two things I really want personally:
  • The UNSC INFINITY is destroyed or crippled rendering it out of commission
  • Evil Cortana or Cortana stays dead once she is beaten
I personally don't care if the Cortana seen in H5G was a fragment, evil, rampant, controlled or suffering from the Logic Plaue. After she was killed in Halo 4 she should never have returned as just like Serina in Halo Wars. She was a beloved character of mine and while it was sad to see her go in that comic leading up to Halo Wars 2. 343i was at least willing to send her off and she didn't return outside of the HW2 voice recording.

Halo Wars 2 for all its faults really displayed the pain in CPT Cutter's expression knowing Serina was gone and that really hit home. 343i can kill off characters at there leisure but to bring them back when the end of artificial intelligence is 7 years for the UNSC. I really don't know what they were thinking but I am not going to go on a rant about that as once Cortana is beaten, she needs to stay dead and gone.
l Chaos I wrote:
Glad to see more and more people jumping on the "Dead-finity" train, as I have decided to call it. It's an awesome feat of engineering from a purely objective stance (I even have the 9" model of it in my collection)... but from a story perspective, it's hard for me to see humanity on the back foot when they have 6 kilometers of plot armor in their back pocket.

As for Cortana, I couldn't agree more. I really could care less what the justification is for her being in H5 and beyond. She died in H4 and should have stayed dead. If the Didact returns in H6 and is revealed to be using Cortana's visage to subjugate humanity to return the Mantle of Responsibility to the Forerunners, then I would find that a step in the right direction. I also wouldn't mind the Gravemind being the one using Cortana's visage. He's done it before, so he can do it again.
Welcome to the forums, OP! Hope you hang around and stay in the discussion as we wind our way towards Infinite :)

My personal biggest wish for the story is that they don't back off or divert from the Chief vs Cortana core to the narrative that we see having been set up at the end of Guardians. It's one of the first really interesting things to happen in the 343i Era, in my opinion. I can easily see them deciding to reverse it, however, whether by simply giving Cortana an early-mid game "change of heart" so the showdown between the Created and the UNSC can't culminate in some sort of finality, or by reintroducing the Flood or some new variation of the Flood to serve as a unifying opponent to get Chief and Cortana on the same side again.

I'm not opposed to their being a third faction that serves as a common enemy to the Created and UNSC, and I believe having a mission or two (Like "The Covenant" in H3 where you have to work with the Flood, briefly) would be great for the narrative tension. It just can't diffuse the character opposition between John and Cortana, because as hard as 343i has tried to humanize Master Chief and to make him into a more interesting and sympathetic character, (to mixed effect and sometimes feeling at odds with his character as portrayed in the OT) the most interesting thing they can make him do is pull the plug on Cortana.

Master Chief is a human, kind of. 343i hasn't let their focus drift from trying to make that point abundantly clear to us by giving him a dramatic increase in dialogue and some interesting decisions made in Halo 4 and 5. But, I think it's clear by his or anyone else's standard that he is a soldier first- by choice. He is duty-bound to his cause and to the preservation of his species, and he has always done what was necessary to serve those ends.

Not only having to lose Cortana, who he feels a similar obligation to, but also having to choose to destroy her to further the best good of hie other obligations? That's good drama, and it helps square 343i's more "human" MC with the classic portrayal of him being a man of action super stoic super soldier.

I'm just concerned that for whatever reason, they'll believe letting that confrontation boil to where it ought to will be innapropriate for some reason. Or even if they do let it play out, that they'll do what you said and make Cortana's defeat something temporary or tepid that just helps her "see the light". Sure, John should hope for that ending himself through the whole game. He should feel like destroying Cortana is "breaking his promise(s)" and violating his duty and loyalty to her. But that's the most interesting choice we can see MC make at this point.
l Chaos I wrote:
Glad to see more and more people jumping on the "Dead-finity" train, as I have decided to call it. It's an awesome feat of engineering from a purely objective stance (I even have the 9" model of it in my collection)... but from a story perspective, it's hard for me to see humanity on the back foot when they have 6 kilometers of plot armor in their back pocket.

As for Cortana, I couldn't agree more. I really could care less what the justification is for her being in H5 and beyond. She died in H4 and should have stayed dead. If the Didact returns in H6 and is revealed to be using Cortana's visage to subjugate humanity to return the Mantle of Responsibility to the Forerunners, then I would find that a step in the right direction. I also wouldn't mind the Gravemind being the one using Cortana's visage. He's done it before, so he can do it again.
I completely agree with the end statement, I would absolutely adore for the Gravemind to be using Cortana in Infinite if they choose to bring the Flood back. If the antagonists do not consist of the flood then I really hope she stays dead really.
Bring back the flood that's what I want.
I want three things to happen.
1. End the created arc by dealing with this Cortana business
2. Reintroduce Flood
3. Introduce the Banished into the main series
Welcome to the forums, OP! Hope you hang around and stay in the discussion as we wind our way towards Infinite :)

My personal biggest wish for the story is that they don't back off or divert from the Chief vs Cortana core to the narrative that we see having been set up at the end of Guardians. It's one of the first really interesting things to happen in the 343i Era, in my opinion. I can easily see them deciding to reverse it, however, whether by simply giving Cortana an early-mid game "change of heart" so the showdown between the Created and the UNSC can't culminate in some sort of finality, or by reintroducing the Flood or some new variation of the Flood to serve as a unifying opponent to get Chief and Cortana on the same side again.
So much this. People hated Halo 4 initially and called for something different. Fair enough. So what does 343 do? Hastily tie up a lot of Halo 4's threads either in extended lore or Halo 5's opening mission and focus on something different. Then people hated that and call for Halo 4's threads to return, a Halo CE clone, the Flood (even though that would make 3 pointless), anything else. Now 343 seems like they're going to change again to meet player demands and guess what? People will probably hate it for not respecting what came before, just like with 5. Same thing happened with the DCEU. People called for something different than BvS and what we got was Whedon's Justice League which upset not only BvS haters but also BvS fans who wanted to see Snyder's Justice League realized.
I personally thought Halo 4 wasn't particularly "true" to what came before in the Bungie games. That all breaks down to subjective opinion, of course, but it felt to me like Chief and Cortana as characters both started behaving in ways that didn't make sense given their portrayals in CE-H3. Their relationship also seemed, rather suddenly, quite different from what I had taken it to be in the Bungie games. It went from being an intimate working relationship to an intimate relationship with a lot more attendant tenderness than seemed appropriate for their prior dynamic (by my interpretation) of "cop partners".

I wasn't sad to see these elements backed away from somewhat in Halo 5- although, in some other senses, they fed directly into the Chief/Cortana conflict in that game.

I just see Infinite as the opportunity for this series to finally reconcile itself with the original games by making Chief have to make a very difficult choice to fulfill his duty as a soldier before his duty as a partner/lover (always hated the Chief and Cortana romance idea- she's based on Halsey very directly, and Halsey is the closest thing John can ever remember having to a mother- but 343i hasn't done much to deter portions of the fan base from running with it).

As far as the DCEU comparison? I don't think we're likely to agree on those finer points (respectfully, I fall into the camp of the entire DCEU being a massive Charlie Foxtrot from its inception with Man of Steel). But I definitely feel what you're arguing for. I see more direct ties to the issue present in the past handful of Star Wars movies, myself. Ignoring a legacy that people reasonably expect to hold some bearing on the future of the series creates these sorts of problems.
Flood, Brutes, other missing Covenant Species, Classic Music, Classic Armor, talking Covenant that speaks English, No Reqs, unlock Armor or what not by beating a task to unlock it, Campaign Co-op, Campaign Skull’s, Real made 343i made BTB maps not just Forge made maps, give Chief something to do that makes the player feel he is actually saving humanity.
I personally thought Halo 4 wasn't particularly "true" to what came before in the Bungie games. That all breaks down to subjective opinion, of course, but it felt to me like Chief and Cortana as characters both started behaving in ways that didn't make sense given their portrayals in CE-H3. Their relationship also seemed, rather suddenly, quite different from what I had taken it to be in the Bungie games. It went from being an intimate working relationship to an intimate relationship with a lot more attendant tenderness than seemed appropriate for their prior dynamic (by my interpretation) of "cop partners".

I see more direct ties to the issue present in the past handful of Star Wars movies, myself. Ignoring a legacy that people reasonably expect to hold some bearing on the future of the series creates these sorts of problems.
Personally, I think the impending death of Cortana impacted their relationship a lot. Chief was about to lose his closest ally of many years who he had strict orders to protect, which caused him to open up more. Cortana's rampancy would explain her change from buddy to subtly romantic. I didn't pick up any romantic signals from Chief, just Cortana. Like you said, this really is up for interpretation though.

Not sure I understand your Star Wars analogy. The problem with the Star Wars movies is that they essentially rebooted the universe while still maintaining that it was the same universe, causing major questions since a reboot doesn't make sense in that universe (how did the First Order grow to be the size of the Empire? Wouldn't anyone have done anything to stop it? That sort of thing). Halo 4 I think actually respected the legacy of 1-3 quite well. 3 could have easily ended the franchise were it not for the cryosleep and the Requiem tease with the Legendary ending, so 4 didn't have much to work with. 4 dealt with Requiem, as well as the ex-Covenant, and didn't need to worry about the Flood since they were supposedly completely defeated at the end of 3. Had 4 had Chief wake up to another Covenant war while the Flood was spreading throughout the galaxy again, then it would have a Star Wars problem (and that could be what Infinite's problem is depending on how they handle it).

343 has mentioned many times that this is still a sequel to 5 so they're not completely ignoring 5 at least. So I see them pulling a CE here. Start in the middle of a war, fight on a Halo, etc. Except now we've already had our Reach explaining the backstory (5) instead of having to wait for it. Really the only thing they'll potentially be abandoning then is the cliffhangers of 5 and Halo Wars 2 which I think is an acceptable trade given the situation. However, the potential for a reboot like Force Awakens where they drop Cortana and return to a Covenant War is still there and I think we can both agree we don't want that happening.
Bring the flood back! Also mabye introduce characters from halo wars, but that may not be likely.
Also that fireteam osiris shouldn't be in infinite. If 343 does bring osiris back, at least don't make them so important to the story.
But whatever 343 has cooked up, its bound to be really awesome.
@MasterOfWar6615- Fair enough, and true, the recumbence of the traditional formula surrounded by vaguely similar plot points and settings isn't desirable.

I see where I erred on my Star Wars comparison, as well. I think what I intended moreso was from the meta analysis of how 343i and the fans operate, each of them believing they know best for the future of the series but neither of them willing (for the most part) to slow down and seriously consider the points of the other side. Referring to the fans of the classic games, of course.
The idea of Infinite being a spiritual reboot as well as continuing the narrative from Halo 5 seems contradictory. How will they’ll attempt to pull this off?

So far it seems like the “reboot” aspect will be new Halo for the setting while continuing the Created story arc.

Crash Infinity into Zeta Halo to blow it up, leaving the Ring temporarily inert. Then as the ring repairs itself the remnants of the Infinity crew battle Cortana’s forces for control of the Ring. I think this will be the basic premise.

On a more personal level, John will be attempting to repair Cortana. Not exactly sure how this will go down, though as the hidden audio implies, there will be 2 Cortana’s.
If they play this right, it could be an Offensive Bias vs Mendicant Bias type plot. Dr. Halsey makes a new Cortana to fight the “old” one. Honestly that’s what I think they’re doing.

And if that’s what they’re doing then could more of the plot mirror this? I think Cortana could be influenced via the logic plague to go to this Halo and release the Flood.
l Chaos I wrote:
I personally don't care if the Cortana seen in H5G was a fragment, evil, rampant, controlled or suffering from the Logic Plaue. After she was killed in Halo 4 she should never have returned as just like Serina in Halo Wars. She was a beloved character of mine and while it was sad to see her go in that comic leading up to Halo Wars 2. 343i was at least willing to send her off and she didn't return outside of the HW2 voice recording.

Halo Wars 2 for all its faults really displayed the pain in CPT Cutter's expression knowing Serina was gone and that really hit home. 343i can kill off characters at there leisure but to bring them back when the end of artificial intelligence is 7 years for the UNSC. I really don't know what they were thinking but I am not going to go on a rant about that as once Cortana is beaten, she needs to stay dead and gone.
I agree! I loved cortana, but they need to stick with the choices they made and just let her go. I am still not a big fan of the crazy story that they went with on Halo 5, but at least it kind of made sense on what happened to her. I hope she is killed and we then have to go and deal with the real enemy... The Flood
WWelchIII wrote:
Flood, Brutes, other missing Covenant Species, Classic Music, Classic Armor, talking Covenant that speaks English, No Reqs, unlock Armor or what not by beating a task to unlock it, Campaign Co-op, Campaign Skull’s, Real made 343i made BTB maps not just Forge made maps, give Chief something to do that makes the player feel he is actually saving humanity.
Playable Brutes, most REQ weapons being Firefight and Campaign only (campaign would be secret weapons, firefight idk)