1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What would you guys think about the story and how it will affect the community?
It'll be divisive, like any narrative addition this far along in any franchise as well established as Halo. It can't be everything to everybody; I think it'll be a disappointment to people who've preferred Halo 4 and 5's direction over the classic Bungie games, since they seem to be leaning into classic Halo for direction on at least the aspects of the game we've been shown.

I think they're probably interested in making the story as accessible to as many players as possible instead of making it a resolution and culmination to the "Reclaimer" trilogy (I know they've since fallen back on calling it the Reclaimer Saga, but I think a lot of plans have changed with the less-than-glowing reception for Halo 5).

I think some lore junkies will be disappointed in a perceived lack of depth in the game's campaign, but it's the right move to back off what hasn't been working in favor of making a campaign that can be more broadly enjoyed by as many players (lapsed, new, and faithful) as possible.

Of course, we've seen almost nothing about this, so my speculation comes from my opinions about what they should do as well as extrapolating what they've shown us.
It'll be divisive, like any narrative addition this far along in any franchise as well established as Halo. It can't be everything to everybody; I think it'll be a disappointment to people who've preferred Halo 4 and 5's direction over the classic Bungie games, since they seem to be leaning into classic Halo for direction on at least the aspects of the game we've been shown.

To be fair, every Halo past CE had huge issues with its story. CE only got by because that's the one that set the story in the first place.

Halo 2 was a huge rush job and ended up getting the last act chopped off and left with a cliffhanger.

Halo 3 was 4 missions of nothing before finally getting to the plot.

Halo ODST barely wanted to get made at all.

Halo Reach started contradicting the established lore of The Fall of Reach and made questionable decisions just to move the plot.
I mostly mean in terms of tone. Bungie Halo with the exception of Reach never took itself quite so seriously as Halo 4 and 5. Also it's evident from Bungie's contradicting expanded lore with Reach that they cared more about making their campaigns more broadly accessible than tying into the deeper lore (for better or worse).

A lot of new players were added with every game probably on up through ODST- the stories of each game didn't overwhelm or dissuade new players. If I didn't know what I did about Halo expanded lore when I started playing Halo 4 and especially Halo 5, I'd have felt lost and less inclined to care about what's going on.

This is all subjective opinion, of course.
Personally, ODST and Reach are -by far- my favorite SP campaigns. Imo as long as 343 play it safe and opt for a tale more similar to Bungie-era Halo (which at this point I'd be -really- surprised if they didn't) they can't go wrong. Seeing those reach-esque drawings from the Discovery post a while back made me really hopeful.
Whatever the case might be, the multiplayer will be what will keep me logging on on the regular.
I'm hoping for a story that more in the vein of the classic Bungie games. Halo 4 & 5 were criticized so heavily, they wasn't cutting it. I feel going back to the classic roots is the right thing to do because I'm not sure Halo can survive another "bad" game.

To be fair, every Halo past CE had huge issues with its story. CE only got by because that's the one that set the story in the first place.

Halo 2 was a huge rush job and ended up getting the last act chopped off and left with a cliffhanger.

Halo Reach started contradicting the established lore of The Fall of Reach and made questionable decisions just to move the plot.
I have noticed people worshipping the story aspects of the bungie halos when those halos themselves weren’t great story wise,though better than halo 5’s story - I believe the reason for people thinking that bungie’s halo game stories being better than 343’s is because of nostalgia and gameplay - due to the gameplay being intertwined with the story,it’s hard to judge the story without thinking about the gameplay surrounding it,and many people prefer bungie’s games game-play wise, possibly judging their stories based on their gameplay .
It should be one of, if not the most epic Halo given the current circumstances. With all of Halo 5’s faults, I think it gave Infinite lots of potential to have a truly great story.

I have noticed people worshipping the story aspects of the bungie halos when those halos themselves weren’t great story wise,though better than halo 5’s story - I believe the reason for people thinking that bungie’s halo game stories being better than 343’s is because of nostalgia and gameplay - due to the gameplay being intertwined with the story,it’s hard to judge the story without thinking about the gameplay surrounding it,and many people prefer bungie’s games game-play wise, possibly judging their stories based on their gameplay .
I think you are on to something. The story itself is not super important, there just needs to be enough there to leave you rapt in the gameplay. If the story is bad or you feel lost, a part of you is distracted by this fact. No story is better than a bad story.

I think people liked the Bungie Halos because they told cohesive stories that had, for the most part, pretty good writing. Halo 2's writing was fantastic, and is probably the best in the entire series, which is something that was due in large part to the brilliance of Joseph Staten. Losing Joe was a massive hit to the Halo franchise. He created the Halo story, and it was clear he knew what he wanted to do with the story and it's characters. He paid particular attention to character motives and development, and made sure that every character action and plot event made sense and was believable in the context of the universe.

From a writing and storytelling standpoint, Halo 4 was honestly pretty good. I dont see too many people complaining about the story in Halo 4 to be honest. Chris Schlerf did a very good job with Halo 4's story, because he's a good writer who has experience with science fiction. He knows what tropes, dialogue, and themes are cliche, and understands what plotlines are believable inside the story's greater universe. It's clear he did his homework about the story's characters and lore.

When a story has bad writing, it often feels corny. That's the overall impression I had after playing Halo 5's campaign. The dialogue, character motives, and even major plotlines felt totally tired and corny. I felt the AI rebellion trope to be totally eye rolling, fueled by an antagonist whose motives are too vague, and at the same time, completely unbelievable. Everything about the game's story and characters felt like something out of a cheap japanese manga or a comic book, which isnt surprising considering Brian Reed's background.

this is blasphemous. Video games in general have pretty bad storylines, compared to other media.

as far as stories in video games go, The original Halo trilogy is the most epic and compelling of all of them.

There aren't really any video games that can match it. The only games I would even consider are portal 1/2 maybe. Red dead 1 and 2 are both great emotional stories, but there is nothing as grandiose and epic as the original Halo trilogy.

Alan wake?
Mass effect?
Half life 2?
undertale?
Metal Gear solid?
The Last Of Us?
Bioshock?

All great games, that are on every list for greatest storylines in a videogame. None of them match Halo 1-3 for me.
and most of you forget, Halo 1 came out 18 freaking years ago.

Halo 3 came out 12 years ago.

Go play any videogame from 18 years ago and tell me how good the story is compared to halo ce.

Same thing with Halo 2 and 3.

Most of you werent even alive when Halo Ce came out, you played it on mcc and you think its overrated.

But let me tell you, each Halo game when they came out were completely revolution in every way, from the gameplay down to the storyline. I dont think a lot of people realize just how much Halo changed the entire video game industry.

They still 20 years later are trying to catch up to what Halo did. They still to this day cannot match the magic of Halo.
BANGHART wrote:
and most of you forget, Halo 1 came out 18 freaking years ago.

Halo 3 came out 12 years ago.

Go play any videogame from 18 years ago and tell me how good the story is compared to halo ce.

Same thing with Halo 2 and 3.

Most of you werent even alive when Halo Ce came out, you played it on mcc and you think its overrated.

But let me tell you, each Halo game when they came out were completely revolution in every way, from the gameplay down to the storyline. I dont think a lot of people realize just how much Halo changed the entire video game industry.

They still 20 years later are trying to catch up to what Halo did. They still to this day cannot match the magic of Halo.
Halo CE also was also a trailblazer for the fps genre to be playable on a console, it was a massive thing back then along with Xbox live in 2004 with H2.
BANGHART wrote:

this is blasphemous. Video games in general have pretty bad storylines, compared to other media.

as far as stories in video games go, The original Halo trilogy is the most epic and compelling of all of them.

There aren't really any video games that can match it. The only games I would even consider are portal 1/2 maybe. Red dead 1 and 2 are both great emotional stories, but there is nothing as grandiose and epic as the original Halo trilogy.

Alan wake?
Mass effect?
Half life 2?
undertale?
Metal Gear solid?
The Last Of Us?
Bioshock?

All great games, that are on every list for greatest storylines in a videogame. None of them match Halo 1-3 for me.
And all of that had...nothing to do with what I said.

I didn't say the stories sucked or were bad. I said they had issues. Issues that I very prominently laid out and issues that you kinda just completely ignored and threw away as "blasphemy".

(I also don't really know how much credit to give the Halo video games when the story was also in development in other media - books - that go into way more detail. Both of them even kinda being dependent on each other.)
I see infinite has 2 major problems moving foward
( there are others like games as a service, open world ect but until we know more it's speculation)
1. linking a cohesive story that involves and respects the past canon and moves it foward in a smart way as to advance the narrative.
2. Gameplay mechanics
Classic or enhanced, we simply can't have both
They really have painted themselves into a corner in both these areas and whatever direction they take, some percentage of the community will be unhappy.
New game engine hope its worth it.
Quote:
And all of that had...nothing to do with what I said.

I didn't say the stories sucked or were bad. I said they had issues. Issues that I very prominently laid out and issues that you kinda just completely ignored and threw away as "blasphemy".

(I also don't really know how much credit to give the Halo video games when the story was also in development in other media - books - that go into way more detail. Both of them even kinda being dependent on each other.)
You said they all had "huge issues"

Quote:
"CE only got by because that's the one that set the story in the first place.

Halo 3 was 4 missions of nothing before finally getting to the plot.Halo ODST barely wanted to get made at all."
You are comparing the story to the books, which are not comparable. It is much harder to have a good storyline in a videogame than it is to do with a book or a movie, hence why most videogame stories are bad.

I also provided many examples of games that are considered to have the best storylines. If Halo's storyline had huge issues, I have no idea what somebody with your criteria would view these games as being. They are all deeply flawed stories. The original Halo trilogy has a smooth consistent, competent, engaging and cinematic story all the way through. It is in the very small company of games that have managed to do this, and none of them were made anywhere near the same time frame as Halo was. they all had the advantage of coming out after Halo did.
I feel like the story will be either highly divisive or will be a story that brings the community back together (on a highly optimistic end). Why, you ask, do I even bother to push the latter? Because here's my outlook; either 343 will make a story that has been typical of them (4/5; starts in a game and ends in a comic/book; has a major disconnect that somewhat uproots the feeling of Halo) or they will make a Halo 3 and CE combined story. By that I mean they'll incorporate the "wake up in a war thing" (as they've said that will likely happen) with Halo 3's simpler yet symbolistic and conclusive story. That'd be a fair combo that I assume would bring the community back together good enough. I see this happening because of that they said you might wake up in the middle of the war and also because many people are complaining about their story telling style, so it appears they'll be taking inspiration from Halo 3. But that's just my opinion (and me hoping). On a realistic note, it'll probably divide the community further.

The biggest things they need to bring back are the magic of Halo and a more conclusive ending. Those two could save the game's story and what's left of the community.
BANGHART wrote:
You said they all had "huge issues"
And they did. That didn't mean they were bad stories, they just all had some problem that prevented them from being better than it could have been.

You didn't disprove those issues, you just pretended those issues don't exist.

BANGHART wrote:
Quote:
"CE only got by because that's the one that set the story in the first place.

Halo 3 was 4 missions of nothing before finally getting to the plot.Halo ODST barely wanted to get made at all."
You are comparing the story to the books, which are not comparable. It is much harder to have a good storyline in a videogame than it is to do with a book or a movie, hence why most videogame stories are bad.
I didn't say anything about the books in that quote. Halo 2's issue was something that Bungie themselves brought up because they were rushed to make the game.

Any story that wastes its own beginning before getting to the plot can be a poorly written story regardless of media.

BANGHART wrote:
I also provided many examples of games that are considered to have the best storylines. If Halo's storyline had huge issues, I have no idea what somebody with your criteria would view these games as being. They are all deeply flawed stories. The original Halo trilogy has a smooth consistent, competent, engaging and cinematic story all the way through. It is in the very small company of games that have managed to do this, and none of them were made anywhere near the same time frame as Halo was. they all had the advantage of coming out after Halo did.
Again, nothing to do withat I'm talking about. All you did was make a giant comment of whataboutism mixed with plugging your ears going "lalala story is good!" when I never said otherwise.
I didnt respond to your critisisms because they are nonsense.

The only thing you were right about was halo 2 ending with a cliffhangar, however thats exactly how it should have ended being the middle part of the story. How do stories work, beginning, middle and end? Why wouldnt halo 2 end in cliffhangar?

And you did mention the books dude, i just didnt quote that part, they are clearly in your posts, not sure why youre lying about that.

Or this.

Quote:
Any story that wastes its own beginning before getting to the plot can be a poorly written story regardless of media.
Quote:
All you did was make a giant comment of whataboutism mixed with plugging your ears going "lalala story is good!" when I never said otherwise.
Lol...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2