Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Sword blocking

OP Gam3b0y4327

is it a good mechanic which should be use or should it be left behind?
is it a good mechanic which should be use or should it be left behind?
I think it should be left behind. The only scenario I see this being useful in is when you're going up against another sword. Even then, if you both swing at the same time, you kind of already block each other.
Nah leave it behind. It's a weapon, shouldn't be able to just block it. Especially a power weapon. Would ruin the flow and just be frustrating.
Sword blocking kinda makes sense if it's one sword vs another sword. The thing is made out of shaped plasma. The notion that you can block it with a simple melee with anything other than a sword is kinda ridiculous imo. But beyond that, for gameplay, it disrupts the combat and lessens the value of picking up a power weapon like the sword.

To make a comparison of sorts, it would be like being able to block a rocket launcher shot by shooting the rocket out of the air. It might sound like a cool idea, but it devalues the rocket launcher as a power weapon.
Nah it could be fun
Are you talking about sword clashing? I like it. It was a great technique/skill to master in Halo 3. Pulling the trigger gave you the lunge but if you used melee instead, you could swing faster.
Sword blocking kinda makes sense if it's one sword vs another sword. The thing is made out of shaped plasma. The notion that you can block it with a simple melee with anything other than a sword is kinda ridiculous imo. But beyond that, for gameplay, it disrupts the combat and lessens the value of picking up a power weapon like the sword.

To make a comparison of sorts, it would be like being able to block a rocket launcher shot by shooting the rocket out of the air. It might sound like a cool idea, but it devalues the rocket launcher as a power weapon.
I agree to a point. If we're going to go cannon with weapons the plasma pistol should be a three shot (one shot if you charge it up). I think you should be able to block a sword with a simple melee but, it has to be frame perfect. Like .001 seconds before the sword hits you. You can already deflect rockets with a grenade and it's hard to do, I like that. As for another sword I think it should be like Halo 3 where you have to swing at the exact same time or was that Reach?
It was dumb mechanic in Reach and should never return. I remember the countless times I lost to a shotgun because they threw out the desperation melee and gunned me down. Sword blocking reduces the sword from a power weapon to a gimmick in the sandbox.
The only thing that should be able to block an energy sword is another energy sword.
Are you talking about sword clashing? I like it. It was a great technique/skill to master in Halo 3. Pulling the trigger gave you the lunge but if you used melee instead, you could swing faster.
I think he's talking about Reach's sword blocking. Melee at the same time of sword lunge and it blocks it.

Sword clashing should stay, the blocking. Ehhh, I honestly could go either way.
Sword clashing was a lot of fun and added real skill and timing to sword fights.

Sword blocking, as in the melee block that was in Reach, was awful IMO. I don't want that to make a return.

I'd like to see the core sword mechanics and how they work with sprint reworked a bit so that the swords stops being too overpowered. LNG recently did a great video on the evolution of the energy sword in Halo, and I think some of his observations should be taken into consideration in Infinite's sword.
The ability to deflect (block for all intents and purposes) rockets has existed since CE
speedyjr11 wrote:
I think he's talking about Reach's sword blocking. Melee at the same time of sword lunge and it blocks it.

Sword clashing should stay, the blocking. Ehhh, I honestly could go either way.
Fair point. I assumed he meant clashing.
The ability to deflect (block for all intents and purposes) rockets has existed since CE
I was going to point this out. You can shoot rockets out of the air, and explosions/gravity hammer will deflect a rocket from its current path. Halo 3 had the best reflection as it would literally 180 back in the direction it came from. Newer games reflect properly based on explosion and gravity impact areas so it could go in multiple directions.