Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

T or M rating could determine failure or success!

OP N1K Leonhart

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I am pretty sure that Halo Infinite will be 343i's best Halo game,i am sure it will have best graphics,sound,music and gameplay.But even with all that the T or M rating could be a big factor if the game will be a 100% success,imo.
If you make a spiritual reboot the choice is simple,go with M rating!
An M rating doesn't make a game good. It's completely unrelated.
I am pretty sure that Halo Infinite will be 343i's best Halo game,i am sure it will have best graphics,sound,music and gameplay.But even with all that the T or M rating could be a big factor if the game will be a 100% success,imo.
What does a ESRB rating have anything to do with a games success? You could also argue that a T rating would be more advantageous since the game would be accessible to a wider audience.
The easiest and most obvious examples if why eating doesn't matter to a games success at all are games like Fortnite, any Mario, any Zelda, and regular Minecraft. All of which have been smashing commercial successes, and the noisy intense eating of those I listed is 13+.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There only thing that Infinite needs to be successful is to have fun gameplay, a good amount if initial content, and few bugs.
Halo Combat Evolved almost got a T rating and look how successful that was. You really think rating means anything?
Honestly, Halo never deserved a "Mature" rating. It's a "Teen" rated game and always should have been as such.

It has little or no profanity, nudity (Cortana maybe?), suggestive themes, drug use, or even that much gore by 2020 standards.
Trunkaroo wrote:
What does a ESRB rating have anything to do with a games success? You could also argue that a T rationing would be more advantageous since the game would be accessible to a wider audience.
It will set the tone for the game,if it will be a more realistic Human vs Aliens shooting.Also it can have better immersive story when not made for children.
Trunkaroo wrote:
What does a ESRB rating have anything to do with a games success? You could also argue that a T rationing would be more advantageous since the game would be accessible to a wider audience.
It will set the tone for the game,if it will be a more realistic Human vs Aliens shooting.Also it can have better immersive story when not made for children.
That implies Halo 5’s story or Halo Wars story was made for children when it wasn’t. Blood splatters and gore doesn’t make a story more serious or mature.
The only reason 5 was T was because of the blood being scaled back so the game could run at 60 fps, not because they tried to make it for a younger audience. You also have to remember that the standards of T and M have changed drastically over the years with T becoming more accepting to more mature things. The only way for a halo game to be M nowadays is if they bring back the flood which I don't think should happen too often because it would water down the seriousness of that faction.
My bets is that it gets a "T" rating 100%. The wider the audience you can appeal to = more $. Of course you can argue that GTA5 makes billions despite an M rating but Halo never really had a solid identity as mature game like GTA has. Sure, there was blood and all that but I'm positive at some point Xbox realized the risk involved with committing their most popular franchise to an "M" rating for little to no reason other than precedent.

Also, in recent years we have curiously seen the Halo Wars titles get a "T" rating as well as H5. Plus, we have also seen more of a push for the toys being marketed more than ever because they are most likely making tons of money off of it by reaching the younger audience. Hell, the community gets most of the game's info from the toys nowadays, so its pretty clear that this tactic is working for them financially. Halo's brand and image, like it or not, is now strongly associated with these toy releases and their partnership with McFarlane + MEGA. I'm sure that Xbox would not want to risk sales by making Infinite an "M" rating all of the sudden. I am hard-pressed to think that Halo will ever go back to an "M" rating because of this, which to me is no big deal because --again-- Halo is still a great franchise without the "mature" content.

Therefore: Next Halo will most likely not be affected by a "T" rating in terms of sales. If anything it will be more successful.
Trunkaroo wrote:
That implies Halo 5’s story or Halo Wars story was made for children when it wasn’t. Blood splatters and gore doesn’t make a story more serious or mature.
Halo under Bungie was where Halo got it's fame.There was blood when shot,gore with Flood and moving Character deaths in those games.
Trunkaroo wrote:
Halo under Bungie was where Halo got it's fame.There was blood when shot,gore with Flood and moving Character deaths in those games.
I would request you respond to my Fortnite/ Mario/ Zelda/ Minecraft examples above if you are going to continue arguing blood and gore are essential to Halo's success. It's very easy to argue each of those franchises have been far more successful than Halo for the past 10(+) years now.
Trunkaroo wrote:
Cortana’s death in Halo 4 was arguably leagues beyond anything in the Bungie games. Either way, explain how Halo Wars and 5 were games with stories made for children. Actually defend that point.
The easiest and most obvious examples if why eating doesn't matter to a games success at all are games like Fortnite, any Mario, any Zelda, and regular Minecraft. All of which have been smashing commercial successes, and the noisy intense eating of those I listed is 13+.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There only thing that Infinite needs to be successful is to have fun gameplay, a good amount if initial content, and few bugs.
Those games you mentioned have nothing to do with Halo.I can name you even more games that sold so good that are 18+.
I agree with your other statement,but for me the more mature content like in the old Halo games are very important also.
Trunkaroo wrote:
Cortana’s death in Halo 4 was arguably leagues beyond anything in the Bungie games. Either way, explain how Halo Wars and 5 were games with stories made for children. Actually defend that point.
Never did i say that Halo Wars and 5 had stories for children.But i wouldn't mind if they had some darker scenes.Like Halo 4s Dr Tilson death scene for example,now that was 1 scene that made Halo 4 rated M like many people think.And that was a shocking moment i didn't expect but it was a powerful and memorable scene that you can't have with T rating!
The debate should solely focus on whether reaching a wider audience with a T rating would remove any features, cut scenes, or anything else that could bring value to the game and its ability to tell its story. For instance I dont think the amount of blood or explicit dialogue would have been possible with a T rating for Halo CE which would lead to johnson loosing a good bit of his grit and maybe no longer being a memorable character, that was just the first example that came to mind. If the game as they want it has a T rating then that works but if they have to cut something fundamental to get it to fit into those T parameters then they should stick with M and relying on parents not knowing the difference.
An M rating doesn't make a game good. It's completely unrelated.
True. Bioshock Infinite could have been rated T, and it still would have been a great game.
Trunkaroo wrote:
I can also see this as true. Halo 5 was very watered down for younger audiences, thus making the story less immersive and gritty. With the flood coming back (Imdb has a cast list set up with John, Cortana, and a flood form so far), I think that this game has a possibility to be closer to the M rating, and hopefully a very well written story. Microsoft can't hold back their story so that kids can play it... it needs to be a true Halo game.
The debate should solely focus on whether reaching a wider audience with a T rating would remove any features, cut scenes, or anything else that could bring value to the game and its ability to tell its story. For instance I dont think the amount of blood or explicit dialogue would have been possible with a T rating for Halo CE which would lead to johnson loosing a good bit of his grit and maybe no longer being a memorable character, that was just the first example that came to mind. If the game as they want it has a T rating then that works but if they have to cut something fundamental to get it to fit into those T parameters then they should stick with M and relying on parents not knowing the difference.
If Halo has to cut content to hit a T rating, they are going to affect the story, probably negatively since it would restrict 343 from telling the story they wanted to. 343 should go for a story that has gritty, moving moments, but also those moments like those with Johnson in Halo 2. If H2 was T, Johnson would have been a lot more boring. Plus, with the flood back, one of the best parts about fighting them was when they broke apart. Can't do that in a T game. Also in lore, the flood are much scarier, and I think they should be somewhat dreaded in Halo Infinite, not because they are bullet sponges, but a kind of fear of them. With a T rating, you can't really get that type of immersion. 343 needs to focus on the game first, and worry about the rating later.

Also, parents should be able to review a game and judge what their kid should or should not play, so it is their choice. 343 shouldn't really worry about that.
Trunkaroo wrote:
This so much.
Everyone who thinks that Halo needs masses of explicit violence and gore should read the last sentence very slowly and then think about it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3