Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Take Promethean's out of the game

OP wadehamilton

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Prometheans won't be leaving. They've become a staple enemy in the new saga but I do agree they're uninteresting to fight.
They need to modify them to make them more interesting so for crawlers, as an example, give them the ability to climb walls again. Don't make them just run at you and swarm you. Make it so they climb around you and flank you. Leave the mass cannon fodder role to the grunts. Soldiers could be breakable. Shoot them in the legs enough and they'll crawl to get to you, shoot an arm off and they become considerbly less accurate. Let higher ranks pick up segments of other soldiers and repair themselves. Not heal up but regain their combat abilities. Watchers should be variants, healers defenders and aggressors. Having set roles rather than 1 does all. I like knights now as you have a chance to one shot them after damaging them. The Warden should not be a recurring boss. Let him appear once or twice that's it. For the love of God bring back sentinels. They should be on every forerunner structure because they're designed to be and let's see what this safeguard sentinel looks like
I hope that this is the last game where we have to face off the Prometheans.

How can people even compare the Brutes to Prometheans?
The Brutes at least had a backstory, they had emotions, they had military ranks, interesting interactions among them. They had goals, they had dialogues. H2 and H3 was so interesting because of the conflict between the Brutes & the Elites.
Let's break it down by weapon you can use:-Boltshot: Poor man's pistol (even though you don't have to aim it, it's less effective)
-Supressor: Poor man's assault rifle (less effective), you have to wait 5 hours for it to speed up in shot
-Scattershot: Poor man's shotgun - useless weapon
-Binary Rifle: Poor man's sniper rifle - less effective than actual sniper/beam rifle as your position/aim is given away.
-Incineration Cannon: The only decent comparison to a spartan's weapon (Rockets)

Did I miss anything?
I agree with you mostly. The scattershot definitely isn't useless and you forgot or left out the lightrifle.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Two giant questions come to mind; change is bad and its bad so get rid of it... If its bad then correct the flaw, don't remove completely.
Can you say the same about sprint?
I'm certainly not a big fan of the Promethians in either a lore or gameplay sense; their introduction in Halo 4 felt bizarre and off kilter for the series. I don't find them abysmally un-fun to fight, but you're right in pointing out that the way they're designed leaves less Carte-Blanche player choice in how to deal with them.

Watchers, while providing an interesting variation from Drones on the "annoying flying enemies" list, can absorb too much damage and cause too much trouble to have them serve as interesting and useful opponents.

Knights in Halo 4 were either worthless (with a Suppressor) or way too annoyingly powerful bullet-sponges on higher difficulties when they were spawned with Scattershots, Incineration Cannons, and Binary Rifles. In Halo 5, not only do they feel entirely inconsistent with their Halo 4 iteration to such a degree that it makes a player raise an eyebrow for continuity concerns, they're still not interesting or entertaining opponents. Their bullet sponginess and damage output has been dramatically upped in a bid to make them more intimidating or interesting, I think, while Soldiers have been introduced to fill their Halo 4 niche... Except, way less powerful.

Soldiers are one tiny step more durable than Crawlers, but are very uninteresting to fight on account of how little abuse they can take and how their movement schemas are so much more conventional than are Crawlers'. Crawlers are perhaps my favorite Promethian enemy class if for no other reason than that they move on map topography in interesting ways and represent enough of a threat in packs to force a player to adapt and pay attention to them. Their design also doesn't seem to overly encourage any particular way of dispatching them to any other, which keeps the feeling of Halo's traditional versatile AI approach intact.

The Warden Eternal... I don't even want to talk about The Warden Eternal. Lore wise, he's just the worst. Gameplay wise, I can't stand going up against something that takes half the ammunition you're able to pick up in any given campaign mission, even once. But with the The Warden Eternal, it isn't just once that you have to put up with him. It's over and over and over again, which takes whatever sense of satisfaction and accomplishment you might feel in defeating him away steadily each time it repeats.

All this being said, though, I can't imagine that 343i has plans to abandon the Promethians anytime soon. They'll continue to rework them, sure, but they're so integral on a lore level now that removing them outright will be tricky. Also, if 343i literally took Promethians out of Halo, it would be like admitting outright that they messed up by introducing them in the first place. Although 343 has steadily become a more receptive, contrite and likable company from the outside, I don't think they're anywhere near likely to much on that particular slice of humble pie anytime soon.
Well, no. Instead of asking for them to be completely removed (which would make absolutely no sense canonically) you should suggest how they could better be implemented. The Knights in Halo 5 I felt were done well. That's about it. And by done well, I reference only their mechanics. The mechanical beetle look does very little for me, aesthetically. Certain units could be removed, or changed. Watchers could be revamped to look more like Forerunner constructs rather than whatever it is they're supposed to be now. Crawlers... yeah, they've never made sense. Sentinel's and their many sub groups should have been implemented into the ranks of the Prometheans, possibly as the canon fodder group. Or, make soldiers said canon fodder group, rather than the spastic teleporting bionicle rejects they currently are. The appearances need a drastic overhaul. So does the gameplay. But, removing them should be a last resort option.
DaekLaw wrote:

The Brutes at least had a backstory, they had emotions, they had military ranks, interesting interactions among them. They had goals, they had dialogues. H2 and H3 was so interesting because of the conflict between the Brutes & the Elites.
The Prometheans have a backstory as well, especially the Knights. Early Knights were the Didacts forces willingly turned into war machines to combat the Flood. Subsequent Knights were forcibly conscripted from human populations (one ancient and one modern) due to the Didact’s hatred of humanity. They are people robbed of their bodies and minds, arguably a parallel to the Spartan-IIs if you think about it and tying in that man-machine conflict postulated by Halo 4.

Really, it feels like folks just didn’t pay attention to the games when decrying the Prometheans from a story angle. Say what you will about their gameplay, but it’s really not much worse than the Brutes being bullet sponges. Despite the fancy armor and what not, that’s what the Brutes boiled down too. You can feign shock that people would “dare” compare the two, but at least be honest.
DaekLaw wrote:

The Prometheans have a backstory as well, especially the Knights. Early Knights were the Didacts forces willingly turned into war machines to combat the Flood. Subsequent Knights were forcibly conscripted from human populations (one ancient and one modern) due to the Didact’s hatred of humanity. They are people robbed of their bodies and minds, arguably a parallel to the Spartan-IIs if you think about it and tying in that man-machine conflict postulated by Halo 4.

Really, it feels like folks just didn’t pay attention to the games when decrying the Prometheans from a story angle. Say what you will about their gameplay, but it’s really not much worse than the Brutes being bullet sponges. Despite the fancy armor and what not, that’s what the Brutes boiled down too. You can feign shock that people would “dare” compare the two, but at least be honest.
Thanks for your great explanation, but it wasn't really necessary, I already know their "backstory" - it doesn't change the fact that NONE of this affects their overall apperance & behaviour in the campaign.
Every single one of them looks the same, everyone acts the same way. All the time.

The backstory of the brutes directly affected the campaign. They had joined the covenant in the 25th century and tried to prove themselves till the end - we witnessed things like racism, jealousy, betrayal and revolutions just because of this.
None of this you will ever be able to achieve with prometheans. It wouldn't even change my mind if you would make them gameplay wise somehow fun. It would slightly improve their overall apperance , nothing more. At least for me.

Not to forget that other points like emotions, dialogues, goals, motiavations, the ability to care for each other etc. have been completly ignored.

I can live with it when they get tossed aside and just appear in 1-2 missions, but I surely don't want to see them as main villians again.
I hated them in Halo 4 and have heard 5's campaign was even worse so yeah I agree I want them gone or very rarely used.
Every Promethean enemy is just optimally dealt with by the Light Rifle, which coincidentally is also the only gun in Halo 4's sandbox given tons of consistent ammo and pretty much the best weapon in the Promethean arsenal barring low use power weapons.

Crawlers like to climb up on walls where you can't reach them, better use the Light Rifle especially if they have a Binary Rifle. Head shot capable weapons are preferred anyway as they can absorb a lot of damage otherwise. Their suppressors and bolt shots are also fairly useless at any range beyond close-mid.

Watchers fly up in the air and will flee when shot at. Again, the Light Rifle is the best at taking them out.

Knights are a little bit better presuming you can dodge their one-shot melee blink strike, but make up for it with the ability to teleport away. Probably best to just shoot them with the Light Rifle.
removing them would make no sense what so ever from a story perspective
There's (not so solid) evidence that the prometheans are to return in infinite. Firstly is because zeta halo, the ring we're supposedly going to be playing on, is supposedly a research facility dedicated to research of the flood and the prometheans were made to combat the flood without "feeding" the flood any more, so it would make sense to have prometheans guarding the place. Secondly, the war against the created is more than likely to continue. Because honestly, why would anyone want to throw away story potential, I mean if the "human-created" war story is pulled off just right it could make for some interesting lore additions in the future.
And yeah I agree on the overhaul. The prometheans never really showed any reactions to getting shot and the knights soaked up more ammo than I could care to describe even on easy difficulty. Plus the design could definitely use an overhaul, I mean come on, the prometheans were originally meant to be creepy, emotionless robots that would hunt you down, but instead were made into fricking cartoony morons that just looked stupid with their faceplates. TBH the glowy skull part was the only creepy factor they had but it was overruled by the half--Yoinked!- cartoon land that H4 and H5 looked like.
Okay I think getting rid of them is going too far. The Soldiers are decent, the Crawlers aren't too bad either, I say it's the Knights that needs to change the most or a different variation.
I would love to have the Brutes back, even expanded upon. Brutes>Promethian.
I think story wise it wouldn't make sense, but maybe more types of Prometheans could be introduced to replace them like the Brutes in Halo 3, or they could be radically reworked to be enjoyable like the Brutes in Halo 3.

I'd also like to see them redesigned to look less Michael Bay and more Forerunner.
The Brutes were bullet sponges, how were they the most fun to fight? I'd rather have Brutes and Prometheans. Both could be re-tooled. This community needs to get past the knee-jerk "JUST THROW IT AWAY!" mindset which they inevitably whine about later when things do get cut.
Halo 3 went too far in the opposite direction. With the exception of Chieftains, the Brutes were too easy to kill and they just felt like watered down Elites. Their power armour looked over-designed and it was ridiculous when it fell off (WHO WANTS TO SEE AN APE IN THEIR UNDERWEAR???). I also hated how you could just melee them to death; Brutes should be terrifying when they enter beserk mode.
They’ll probably replace them with the banished or keep the covenant remnants. Whatever aliens cortana took in at the end of 5 we’ll be sure to see on the battlefield
As much as I hate the prometheans, I think there’s not really any way to continue with the story without them
Spoiler:
Show
It is possible to take them out. Hopefully it is.
Ok, so first off i think it would be bad lore wise to just throw away the Promethean's, secondly i do agree with you on just how un-fun it is to fight them, third the design of them is horrible and needs to change in my opinion, although it shouldn't deviate from the original design to much, heres how i think it could change

color: change the color to a blue, i think this would make them look much better and fit the forerunner aesthetic better

floaty bits: make them more solid and dont have as many floaty bits, that's my main problem with the Promethean design just how floaty they are and how they're not just a solid body

cleanliness: the Promethean's cleanliness bugs me, aswell as the "buildings" (i guess ill call them that) they should have some more dirt and grime, not only would this look cool i think it would fit perfectly

the actual units: I think all the Promethean's should stay, all but one the crawlers i agree with the OP one this one, these annoying litte ***** should just go away, or should at least be nerfed so they dont lock on to you
It’s fun to have them in my opinion, but nerf them and make them a less in the spotlight. I would prefer the Banished and Flood in the spotlight in Infinite.
They can't just throw them out it would be confusing at least for the first few mission. They could however have it to where the Humans find some weapon that only destroys Prometheans they use the weapon and Cortana has to build a new army with humans or if she could find some Flood.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3