2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 11
My only complaint with the grapple hook is that it doesn’t make sense to me. How is that tiny thing pulling the chief who weighs over 1,000 pounds in his armor. But eh I’m over it at this point I’m just hoping it’s fun to play around with.
The same way a mongoose can support the weight of a 1000 pounds spartan and still drive perfectly fine.
Actually that’s not too far off. Current military grade ATVs (we use Polaris) can carry up to 850 Pounds of equipment across most terrain. So fast forward 500 years it makes sense to carry the chief considering the advancement of technology :).

A grappling hook on the forearm on the other hand makes no sense regardless of human advancement of technology due to physics. The only explanation that could work is if it’s forerunner made and they have some weird mumbo jumbo alien technology that allows it to work, which in that case I can’t fight it.
I am sure that the winch tech on the Hogs or Pelicans would have no problems lifting a Spartan. Though that would require 343 creating an asymmetrical silo for the Chief which I think they wanted to avoid, and keep his classic silo.

On Topic: A grappling hook is fine in Halo, as long as it is fun to use. Take Pathfinder in Apex for example. Regardless of other players personal preference, his grappling ability is actually quite fun to use at times. It just seems 343 made it slow and lame.
Honestly if they give a reason for it I’m all good. It felt looked so weird on the chief. But if it’s fun to play around with in the end I don’t really care if it’s in or not.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
A 343i employee removed my post so i'll say it again
One thing 343 is good at, is implementing things into Halo that doesn't belong and disrupts the flow of Halo's unique combat
There is plenty of evidence to support this statement. Halo 5 was and does not play like Halo.
Its a good game don't get me wrong but Halo isn't about Illusioned advanced mobility, ADS, No local gamplay, hoaming weapons (outside of needeler) and lack of local split-screen support.
YOUR preferred version of Halo that is.

And I think the Mods here are volunteers... they aren't employed or affiliated with 343.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
Spoiler:
Show
The gameplay feels cool and fun. Like the one in DOOM Eternal.Complaints are ridiculous.
If I wanted to play Doom Eternal, I'd go play it. If I wanted to play Destiny, I'd go play it.
Well, same logic. If you want old halo feel or ideas go play halo 2.

And this is supposed to be the future, the grapple hook makes sense. As dose super soldiers who defy physics and space ships that move faster than light .

Side note original doom is nothing like doom eternal yet everyone loves it. Why can't halo try new things too.
Regice554 wrote:
The gameplay feels cool and fun. Like the one in DOOM Eternal.Complaints are ridiculous.
If I wanted to play Doom Eternal, I'd go play it. If I wanted to play Destiny, I'd go play it.

And this is supposed to be the future, the grapple hook makes sense. As dose super soldiers who defy physics and space ships that move faster than light .

Side note original doom is nothing like doom eternal yet everyone loves it. Why can't halo try new things too.
Except that Doom Eternal and Destiny 2 are the latest games in their franchises, while Halo 2 is sixteen years old. So, not the same logic. It's absurd to take what I said to mean that nothing can be new in Halo either, when my complaint was that Halo wasn't itself anymore, based on what we have seen of Infinite.

Doom Eternal is very similar to Doom...? You face demons in levels and arenas. There's new, but it doesn't change what Doom is. It's not like Doom Eternal is suddenly open-world/semi-open-world, (as Infinite now is, based on the world premiere)...
bro I swear to God one new feature gets added to halo and everyone goes ballistic its actually stupid and besides its literally gonna be equipment in multiplayer lmao
bro I swear to God one new feature gets added to halo and everyone goes ballistic its actually stupid and besides its literally gonna be equipment in multiplayer lmao
Apologies for wanting to play a new Halo game, rather than a game that seems to want to be anything but, based on what we have actually seen.
Apologies for wanting to play a new Halo game, rather than a game that seems to want to be anything but, based on what we have actually seen.
But its literally a halo game? like dude what are you on about I mean id totally get if you were pissed if the grapple hook was a spartan ability but no its literally going to be just like h3 equipment that you have to fight for it literally does not make it any less halo.
But its literally a halo game? like dude what are you on about I mean id totally get if you were pissed if the grapple hook was a spartan ability but no its literally going to be just like h3 equipment that you have to fight for it literally does not make it any less halo.
Everything shown thus far isn't classic Halo, enhanced movement and kill-focused weapons are only the start and the grapple hook just seems to be a pointless addition that no one really wanted or asked for, I suspect competitive playlists in Infinite will disable it completely ( especially if you can cheese map design by pulling a power weapon to yourself 2 seconds off spawn )
Games evolve. You could say any feature that wasn't in the older games was at some point "not Halo." Let 343i implement it and we'll see how it goes from there. If it sucks, i'm sure they'll hear about it. Also, others have mentioned this but it's a pickup/equipment, not a permanent ability. Nobody complained about getting insta-killed by a power drain but the grapple hook warrants complaining? Face it, it's probably just gonna be a traversal tool in multiplayer. It also looks like it leaves you vulnerable, so we don't have to worry about balancing too bad. I agree that new features seem to just set this community off. Do people want graphically upgraded Halo 3 on repeat? It's not like they would start complaining about that too...
Everything shown thus far isn't classic Halo, enhanced movement and kill-focused weapons are only the start and the grapple hook just seems to be a pointless addition that no one really wanted or asked for, I suspect competitive playlists in Infinite will disable it completely ( especially if you can cheese map design by pulling a power weapon to yourself 2 seconds off spawn )
Sprinting isn't enhanced mobility. I don't know what you mean by 'kill-focused weapons' but I'm going to assume that you mean every weapon is made to kill rather then CE where the plasma rifle is only made to drain shields. We've only seen like 5 weapons out of a whole sandbox so you can't say that yet as for all we know, there could be a bunch of non kill focused weapons. That grapple hook looks like it will add to the sandbox and create new ways to interact with objects around you. Also, again, we dont know how it will work in multiplayer. If they only added stuff that people asked for then it would be boring as there wouldn't be new things that the developers had thought of and usually the gameplay is built around another component of the game or it is built around the gameplay so it would probably be awful if they only added things that we asked for. Also some people liked the idea of a grapple hook and were asking for it. Also you mentioned like 3 things that werent halo when saying the whole game doesn't look like halo. It's on a ring, the art style is much more classic, the maps are huge and open, the banished is acting as a new covenant, using the sandbox. Tell me more examples of it not being halo from what we've seen and I might change my mind.
The grapple hook feels like yet another trend chasing mechanic they felt they needed to "modernize" halo. It also shows again, their complete disregard for cannon. Seriously, how are they going to explain how a grapple hook can pull a 2 ton spartan. It's not even some forerunner transporter chain or whatever, it's just a freaking human tech, grapple hook. And it's going to be a nightmare if it's allowed in multiplayer. But Im guessing they want a multiplayer more akin to Titanfall, or Advanced warfare, rather than Halo.
Regice554 wrote:

Easy. Because it was shown through Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal development that they actually understood what made Doom and Doom 2 the cult classics they are and they showed great care in getting that same feeling, mood, lore and enemy types into the game. You can even say they took more care in terms of character writing than 343 did even though the Doom marine doesn't speak a word. There's not even a contest between the two franchises and how they were handled.
I feel so apathetic towards the grapple hook, honestly. It's just one more mechanic thrown into Halo that's been done better in other games before it. I would have liked it if it were actually physics-based, or if we could whip objects around and turn them into deadly projectiles, but I haven't seen or heard any evidence of that being possible.

As much as I would have preferred strictly classic gameplay, I accepted pretty early on that we'd be getting sprint, clamber and slide. But I would have rather they added more mechanics like those that are rooted in the sheer, physical capability of the Spartan. Instead of thrusters or grapple hooks, give us a lunge or a dodge or a sidestep mechanic, similar to the Hunter's dodge from Destiny 2.
MerlinG2 wrote:
Sprinting isn't enhanced mobility. I don't know what you mean by 'kill-focused weapons' but I'm going to assume that you mean every weapon is made to kill rather then CE where the plasma rifle is only made to drain shields. We've only seen like 5 weapons out of a whole sandbox so you can't say that yet as for all we know, there could be a bunch of non kill focused weapons. That grapple hook looks like it will add to the sandbox and create new ways to interact with objects around you. Also, again, we dont know how it will work in multiplayer. If they only added stuff that people asked for then it would be boring as there wouldn't be new things that the developers had thought of and usually the gameplay is built around another component of the game or it is built around the gameplay so it would probably be awful if they only added things that we asked for. Also some people liked the idea of a grapple hook and were asking for it. Also you mentioned like 3 things that werent halo when saying the whole game doesn't look like halo. It's on a ring, the art style is much more classic, the maps are huge and open, the banished is acting as a new covenant, using the sandbox. Tell me more examples of it not being halo from what we've seen and I might change my mind.
  • Sprinting IS enhanced mobility
  • every new weapon 343 has added since H4 has been kill-focused
  • grapplehook is just chasing Doom's meathook
  • until they show MP then we must assume the worst because 343 has a bad track record
  • changing things for no reason is what kills franchises
  • Nobody was asking for a grapple hook, nobody
  • gameplay > graphics and art style and the gameplay is a let down
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
Crazy idea here: lets actually try the grappling hook out ourselves before we make a judgement on it. We literally don't know anything about its application in multiplayer yet so you are all just wildly speculating and assuming the worse. Don't knock it until you try it. If it doesn't work when we finally get the game I'll admit I was wrong but until then I'm gonna be optimistic about it. Have fun being bitter lmao.
I don’t see what the problem is, it’s already been confirmed it’s not something you will spawn with in multiplayer it will probably be more like an equipment pick up like we had in Halo 3 and I believe most people agree that the equipment in Halo 3 was a good add on. For campaign it’s also something that will probably be customizable, with it being open world and all I’m sure it will have its moments and other times you won’t use it at all. The grappling hook is something new and I’m down for it. I won’t complain until I personally play with it and see problems. Plus for those who say it’s unrealistic like come on it’s all based 500 + years from now they have explosions in space just enjoy the game and use your imagination.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 11