That grapple hook doesn’t belong...

OP God Rohan

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. ...
  6. 9
Literally the only thing that matters is its lore destorying if something cant fit in pre-established lore it shouldnt be in the game's campaign, period. If they want to add it to multiplayer fine, multiplayer is multiplayer, but if in the middle of return of the king frodo started capping people with a 9mm youd probably be confused and pissed off.
God Rohan wrote:
Titles says it all... aside from it looking like LEGO wtf is that hook? This is supposed to be halo not assassins creed or sekiro ect. like whyyyyyy that suit weighs soooo much no wrist hook can zip line it like that???? Not to mention the physics of him flying towards that elite like that ? The physics don’t make sense... I cannot express my sadness enough. Sony did god of war 4 justice why can’t Microsoft do the same for halo :(
eh i dont see why it matters, looks fun to me. Then again im not overly invested in this games lore like i wrote it. i just enjoy the multiplayer and the game lore.
I wouldn't mind a grapple hook, in say, an ODST type game, where you're limited in your physical abilities, but then again, you can have a limited jet pack for increased vertical movement.
The idea of grappling an enemy is cool, but gimmicky- again not to discredit the devs- and we've seen this back in CoD Infinite Warfare, Titanfall 2, and Doom Eternal, to name a few.

I think a revised, maybe toned down movement pool would suffice. A slower sprint speed for open map traversal, when vehicles aren't present, would be fine. Sliding into and out of cover is a useful mechanic and gives player options on how to tackle enemies. I love having options, as it gives you more ways to achieve a goal. Evade/thrust can be a useful tool for disengaging battles, or turning the tide on an opponent. Clamber, should map design allow for it, is very useful for vertical movement and can give you new vantage points to rain down holy hell-fire on your opponents.
Just refine what's already there, and you'll have a smooth, even gameplay that will do wonders for the arena shooter genre in the future.
I wouldn't mind a grapple hook, in say, an ODST type game, where you're limited in your physical abilities, but then again, you can have a limited jet pack for increased vertical movement.
The idea of grappling an enemy is cool, but gimmicky- again not to discredit the devs- and we've seen this back in CoD Infinite Warfare, Titanfall 2, and Doom Eternal, to name a few.

I think a revised, maybe toned down movement pool would suffice. A slower sprint speed for open map traversal, when vehicles aren't present, would be fine. Sliding into and out of cover is a useful mechanic and gives player options on how to tackle enemies. I love having options, as it gives you more ways to achieve a goal. Evade/thrust can be a useful tool for disengaging battles, or turning the tide on an opponent. Clamber, should map design allow for it, is very useful for vertical movement and can give you new vantage points to rain down holy hell-fire on your opponents.
Just refine what's already there, and you'll have a smooth, even gameplay that will do wonders for the arena shooter genre in the future.
Having more options isn't a better thing as Reach, 4 and 5 demonstrated
Campaign is fine for having these additions ( although the map design and enemy AI suffers due to extra complexity on the players part )
Multiplayer having any of these instantly discredits it and the Halo formula, sprint has been talked to death in why it's bad, clamber is useless and replaces crouch jumping and all the other gimmicks don't make the game better, but more ( for a lack of a better term ) bloated
I love the grappling hook. I hope they figure out more things to do with it (especially combat-wise).
Hopefully it’s just the campaign I can’t imagine having to watch for someone flying across the map like a acrobat
Upsetts wrote:
Hopefully it’s just the campaign I can’t imagine having to watch for someone flying across the map like a acrobat
I mean its the same as jetpack in sense they are going to be easily shot at before they reach the end.
Upsetts wrote:
I mean its the same as jetpack in sense they are going to be easily shot at before they reach the end.
But can the jetpack bring the rocket launcher to you? or maybe the flag?
Upsetts wrote:
But can the jetpack bring the rocket launcher to you? or maybe the flag?
hopefully multiplayer has an option or trait to make objectives/weapons static rather than pull-able otherwise thats gonna be a world of hurt.

Great question to ask as well!
In the campaign, this mechanic will be fun. But if they add it to multiplayer, the map design will be super messed up with people able to go over any wall by grappling to it. To fix the feeling that maps are too small, they will give the guns greater range. To make the guns not too OP, they will make the weapon's kick massive so that it has serious problems with accuracy. To fix this, they will add a bunch of weird mechanics like having less kick when standing still (making you an easy target). And then this will slowly evolve into the disaster that was Halo 5, just instead of having a bunch of weird thruster/hover powers, we have weird grapple powers instead.

Stick the grapple with the campaign, not multiplayer.
In the campaign, this mechanic will be fun. But if they add it to multiplayer, the map design will be super messed up with people able to go over any wall by grappling to it. To fix the feeling that maps are too small, they will give the guns greater range. To make the guns not too OP, they will make the weapon's kick massive so that it has serious problems with accuracy. To fix this, they will add a bunch of weird mechanics like having less kick when standing still (making you an easy target). And then this will slowly evolve into the disaster that was Halo 5, just instead of having a bunch of weird thruster/hover powers, we have weird grapple powers instead.

Stick the grapple with the campaign, not multiplayer.
On the bright side the grappleshot will be a pickup equipment, map design and weapon sandbox will still have to accommodate. If the map design does not work for the grappleshot it can be removed as it's not a base trait. Other factors can be implemented into the map to make the grappleshot less detrimental such as limited amount of uses, limited places to grapple, limited range and a longer cooldown. Sure for that period of time it may not be very enjoyable to the opposite team but I don't believe it will require the overhaul you described.
God Rohan wrote:
Sprint never belonged in Halo but here we are...
Not the originals maybe. But certainly future titles he’s a killing machine! gonna tell me he never learned to run?
A Spartan can shoot while running because he is a killing machine. If he really runs he is faster than this bs animation. The base movement speed is too low.
I agree, it's not a fitting thing in Halo imo. If it is not a swapable AA it will create some problems with the gameplay for me how it changes the core gameplay mechanics. I was fine with sprint. But thrusters in H5 and Grapple in HI as core mechanics is a bit too much for me.
Spam8358 wrote:
I agree, it's not a fitting thing in Halo imo. If it is not a swapable AA it will create some problems with the gameplay for me how it changes the core gameplay mechanics. I was fine with sprint. But thrusters in H5 and Grapple in HI as core mechanics is a bit too much for me.
grapple isnt a core mechanic in multi........ Even thrust wasn't game-breaking or really detrimental to the combat flow
Imagine adding a grappling hook and then completely undermining that addition by failing to make it physics based, which negates most what would make the addition of a grappling hook interesting in the first place. And this is supposed to be a big selling point for this new entry....
Spam8358 wrote:
grapple isnt a core mechanic in multi........ Even thrust wasn't game-breaking or really detrimental to the combat flow
I know it's not a core mechanic in multiplayer, I'm very happy about that, it might not be in Campaign either but it kind of looks that way atm, which (as you can tell) I'm not equally happy about.
As for that H5 thrust not being deprimental to the flow. I disagree. But that's a matter of taste obviously.
I wish the grapple shot would look more futuristic,forerunner like.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. ...
  6. 9