OP STEELBARBER

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
I love the new armor! The world breathes like Halo again, the architecture is clean and elegant again, the Marines look like they came directly from Reach, the color pops once more like in H3 etc. I only hope the Mark 5 will look more metallic in the end-product, now it's a bit "plasticy" (once more). Love the visor already though, couldn't stand the orange one from H4! I also hope the human weapons - especially the BR and the shotgun - are going back to the H2A designs. Likewise the Covenant. With this world and fauna though? Hell yes, this is what I wanted for years now, but only HW2 and H2A delivered so far!
Yuck
It appears they’re going back to the classic art style that appeared in Halo Wars 2, but some things look a little too cartoony and like Fortnite for me. I hope this isn’t the case, but this was mainly just showcasing the engine after all. I’m sure they know making things look like Fortnite wouldn’t go over well.
Yes it is still very cartoony. That's why it looks like a different game. I will keep my expectations very very low
Halo was always cartoony. I hope it’s not unrealistically cartoony like Fortnite is. There is a possibility they’ll try to attract the Fortnite and Overwatch crowds with a mix between Fortnite and regular Halo, but that’d still be too cartoony for my tastes. Halo 2A‘s cartoony art style worked the best and I hope they lean towards that route.
It kinda looked like H2A for the warthog at least. I personally don't see what everyone is saying. Chief looked pretty realistic to me, sure he looked a little animated, but that's just cause its a video game and not real life.
That shot of the marines legs as they throw down a flare or marker looked very much like Fortnite to me. I don’t know how else to explain it except look at that scene and tell me what you think.
but some things look a little too cartoony and like Fortnite for me. I hope this isn’t the case, but this was mainly just showcasing the engine after all. I’m sure they know making things look like Fortnite wouldn’t go over well.
Yeah i agree, it kinda looks cartoony, like fortnite.
I'll be honest, the water didn't look great, but a lot of it did look great,. The objects and textures somehow looked 'Halo', chunky and detailed and solid.
The warthog physics looked outstanding.

Really really really love the art style. Chief's helmet looks brand new.

One thing the trailer didn't show was VFX for weapons and grenades etc, which was something that was to me very noticeably low res and lacking in H5. Hopefully this slipstream engine provides for some good VFX. Very excited.
I think it should be remembered that this showcased the Slipspace Engine, and might not be final graphics and art design. People shouldn't get their hopes up or expect too much, only to later be disappointed and enraged.

That said, it looks fantastic. However I do hope that if the Chief's armor is changing yet again (I actually liked the armor in Halo 4 and 5,) hopefully there's a stronger explanation than "nanobots" or just ignoring the visual shift.
Agreed, in the blog post they even say this was mostly just to show off the engine and to tease the new art style a bit so its best not to get attached to everything. The environment looked amazing the only thing i thought looked a little off was the classic Mark VI cant put my finger on why though. Hard to say if they're changing the armor or not cuz if im not mistaken the end part where hes sliding the AI chip in to his helmet hes wearing the GEN 2 Mark VI.
Why can't it be a mix of both? Here is a link to my thread with a theory SPOILERS my thread
Who else here hopes this means we get old school looking Grunts and not ones that look like crab people?
I'm going to copy and paste (most) of my comment from the r/Halo subreddit. I've played all of the main Halo games, from CE to 5, and I enjoyed each one individually for what it was. That being said, here's my current impression of the art style we saw in the trailer:

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm not super thrilled with the armor design. All of this is just my opinion and entirely subjective, but I feel that the style worked well for Halo 1-3 because there was an understanding of how to make things futuristic yet recognizable, but without too much worrying about the details since technology limits at the time only gave so much leeway for character models. But then the tech improved, and I feel that ever since Reach there's been a push towards more detail to give a "gritty yet high tech" appearance, which I feel was for the best.

The armor I saw in the trailer made me happy because of the nostalgic memories of previous Halo games, but also a little underwhelmed because, for lack of better words, it's a high resolution reskin. I'm not saying that's the worst thing ever, but I hope there's more work done to it before the game launches. Things like the flat design of the Mjolnir's outer shell lacking any sort of texture and the plain, glossy visor gives it a very underwhelming look. I wouldn't say plastic like, but definitely not a combat exoskeleton designed over 500 years in the future. The undersuit looks leathery to me and less like a lighter secondary armor that is a compromise between protection and mobility.

I understand the H4/H5 art design wasn't everyone's favorite, but to me the armor shown in the trailer feels like too much of a regression into old art design and less like a compromise between the two styles. At the end of the day, I play the games for the story and the gameplay, so this won't really affect how much I enjoy the next game. But at the same time, I feel like this could be a slippery slope; allowing the nostalgia of the "best days of Halo" put rose-colored glasses on us could throttle the game and hurt the creativity of the developers if they're limited by trying to fit the "classic" mold. They should be making a game that we want to play, and it should be a game that is true to Halo's roots, but it doesn't have to be a reincarnation of Halo 2 or Halo 3 to be a good game.

To wrap it up, I have an unpopular opinion, and I'm not a very vocal part of the fan base, but I hope that by the time the next game is launched, the armor is a design that we can all appreciate on top of some great gameplay."
Good thing you posted that here. Knowing r/halo, it's going to be hidden by the end of the day.
Idk guys but I'm really ticking me off, chief seems thinner and very cartonish, a fornite skin. Everything else looks great.
I really like the look of this new art style! It actually LOOKS like a Halo game again. Halo 4 and 5 made everything more complex, but also more generic looking at the same time. I always found the simpler, but more unique style of the old games way more appealing and memorable.

Chiefs visor looks great, but I think some other things need to look less like plastic and more like metal. Aside from that I think they're definitely heading in the right direction with this art style.
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
Who else here hopes this means we get old school looking Grunts and not ones that look like crab people?
And this is what sells more copys or keeps the online population more active?
Xx NicH xX wrote:
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
It isn't but some of us who have been around since before the original was released actually care about the changes they made to the art style for no other reason than change which made the series not feel like Halo (in addition to multiplayer balancing and core gameplay mechanics). Change just for the sake of change is stupid. That was a prime example of 343i taking something that was already successful and messing with it.
Well, given that the Unggoy are meant to be crustacean, the new design make more sense. Also knock one of their masks off in Halo 3; they're just as ugly.
Well, given that the Unggoy are meant to be crustacean, the new design make more sense. Also knock one of their masks off in Halo 3; they're just as ugly.
True but I just like the Halo 1-3 designs better. It is like the Kig Yar too. They had a much more avian design and culture in the older style and in the expanded universe yet for some reason 343i came in and made them into something more like a lizard or dinosaur in Halo 4. If something is established and enjoyed, don't try fixing it just for the sake of changing stuff!
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
Xx NicH xX wrote:
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
It isn't but some of us who have been around since before the original was released actually care about the changes they made to the art style for no other reason than change which made the series not feel like Halo (in addition to multiplayer balancing and core gameplay mechanics). Change just for the sake of change is stupid. That was a prime example of 343i taking something that was already successful and messing with it.
I have no problem with the new art style or game mechanics, All I want is a very good campaign story.

Multiplayer is always fun and amazing.

Halo 4 and Halo 5 are awesome games, and yes I am so "old school" that I played Halo: CE with my DUKE controller. ;)
Xx NicH xX wrote:
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
Xx NicH xX wrote:
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
I have no problem with the new art style or game mechanics, All I want is a very good campaign story.

Multiplayer is always fun and amazing.

Halo 4 and Halo 5 are awesome games, and yes I am so "old school" that I played Halo: CE with my DUKE controller. ;)
I absolutely agree. I was going into Halo 5 thinking all the hints from Halo 4 and the expanded universe had the focus being the coming of the Precursors to test humanity for the Mantle. Instead, we got a sappy love story between Chief and Cortana and a commentary on the dangers of technology and AI. They totally shot off course from what they had set up for and what felt like Halo. I really, really, really want them to get back into the good sci fi they had with the end of Halo 3 stuff and the Forerunner book trilogy mythos with Halo going forward...and my original Duke controller is in the bottom drawer of the desk I am typing this from :)
I just had a thought: as most of the trailer was showing off textures and graphics, what if the reason the Chief was shown in his old armor was because the visor was more reflective than his suit in Halo 4 and 5? That - to me - was the big focus there; the warthog reflected in the visor, possible in real-time.
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
It is like the Kig Yar too. They had a much more avian design and culture in the older style and in the expanded universe yet for some reason 343i came in and made them into something more like a lizard or dinosaur in Halo 4.
Well, I mean theropod dinosaurs did evolve into birds. The Rhuutian Kig-Yar are still a thing - we've seen them together in Escalation - and it's possible that with the new engine we could see both Rhuutian and Ibie'shan Kig-Yar together.
Chief looks like Chief again! Not that I didn't have a big problem with the art style in H4 but it took a HUGE jump from the style in the classic trilogy and almost looked unrecognizable by H5. Hopefully the covenant will look like the covenant again too (please no more brutish elites)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9