2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
Loken0457 wrote:
I'm going to copy and paste (most) of my comment from the r/Halo subreddit. I've played all of the main Halo games, from CE to 5, and I enjoyed each one individually for what it was. That being said, here's my current impression of the art style we saw in the trailer:

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm not super thrilled with the armor design. All of this is just my opinion and entirely subjective, but I feel that the style worked well for Halo 1-3 because there was an understanding of how to make things futuristic yet recognizable, but without too much worrying about the details since technology limits at the time only gave so much leeway for character models. But then the tech improved, and I feel that ever since Reach there's been a push towards more detail to give a "gritty yet high tech" appearance, which I feel was for the best.

The armor I saw in the trailer made me happy because of the nostalgic memories of previous Halo games, but also a little underwhelmed because, for lack of better words, it's a high resolution reskin. I'm not saying that's the worst thing ever, but I hope there's more work done to it before the game launches. Things like the flat design of the Mjolnir's outer shell lacking any sort of texture and the plain, glossy visor gives it a very underwhelming look. I wouldn't say plastic like, but definitely not a combat exoskeleton designed over 500 years in the future. The undersuit looks leathery to me and less like a lighter secondary armor that is a compromise between protection and mobility.

I understand the H4/H5 art design wasn't everyone's favorite, but to me the armor shown in the trailer feels like too much of a regression into old art design and less like a compromise between the two styles. At the end of the day, I play the games for the story and the gameplay, so this won't really affect how much I enjoy the next game. But at the same time, I feel like this could be a slippery slope; allowing the nostalgia of the "best days of Halo" put rose-colored glasses on us could throttle the game and hurt the creativity of the developers if they're limited by trying to fit the "classic" mold. They should be making a game that we want to play, and it should be a game that is true to Halo's roots, but it doesn't have to be a reincarnation of Halo 2 or Halo 3 to be a good game.

To wrap it up, I have an unpopular opinion, and I'm not a very vocal part of the fan base, but I hope that by the time the next game is launched, the armor is a design that we can all appreciate on top of some great gameplay."
Agree with you 100% man.
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
It is like the Kig Yar too. They had a much more avian design and culture in the older style and in the expanded universe yet for some reason 343i came in and made them into something more like a lizard or dinosaur in Halo 4.
Well, I mean theropod dinosaurs did evolve into birds. The Rhuutian Kig-Yar are still a thing - we've seen them together in Escalation - and it's possible that with the new engine we could see both Rhuutian and Ibie'shan Kig-Yar together.
True. I just want acknowledgement in game of both types of Kig Yar. Miss the old art style.
I wonder if we'll be able to ride the animals ....................................................................................................... you're gonna need to see this to get the joke.

I love the new armor! The world breathes like Halo again, the architecture is clean and elegant again, the Marines look like they came directly from Reach, the color pops once more like in H3 etc. I only hope the Mark 5 will look more metallic in the end-product, now it's a bit "plasticy" (once more). Love the visor already though, couldn't stand the orange one from H4! I also hope the human weapons - especially the BR and the shotgun - are going back to the H2A designs. Likewise the Covenant. With this world and fauna though? Hell yes, this is what I wanted for years now, but only HW2 and H2A delivered so far!
Yuck
Marines, Chief, and Rings, gross! What is this, Halo? Yucky!
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
True. I just want acknowledgement in game of both types of Kig Yar. Miss the old art style.
I would really like to see both, just like Halo Reach. In fact, since the T'vaoan Kig-Yar were all but made extinct after Reach, it makes sense to have the Ibie'shan come in as the muscle.
I'm beyond happy. It looks like Halo again.
I'm glad they are going back to the classic art style !

The art style in Halo 4 / Halo 5 was horrible (excepting the Covenant art style in H5 which was good).
Halo 2 Anniversary totally nailed it, they need to take inspiration from this game. Everything was perfect in H2A.
I greatly enjoy both the new and old art style mutually. There are some things I like about the classic and dislike, likewise I also feel the same way with the modern art style from Halo 4/5. I do however hope we see some of the new armors still in Matchmaking, since Halo: Infinite is still a FPS title. I do like the new variants of the Mark VI, especially the Chief's, and a few of the new armors. I think some of the new armors still fit into the classic look.

From what I can tell in the reveal from the E3 event, the UNSC has the older armor, but they are carrying the Halo 4/5 Battle Rifles, so it looks like 343 Industries is still blending the styles as Halo Wars 2 had done.
This game is way off, even though the engine trailer is nice, it a look way different by the time it comes out. either way the style they seem to be going for is more in line with bungies art style, i dont see that as a bad thing, we gone fro getting more of the same ala halo 5 and 6 to actually fresh halo with a nice hint of halo 3 in there, color me hyped.
I think (and hope) that there's going to be a lot of disappointed people when this comes out. Meaning I don't think the "new style" is going to be so completely abandoned. Even looking at the Warthog; it's the Halo 5 version.
It appears they’re going back to the classic art style that appeared in Halo Wars 2, but some things look a little too cartoony and like Fortnite for me. I hope this isn’t the case, but this was mainly just showcasing the engine after all. I’m sure they know making things look like Fortnite wouldn’t go over well.
Yes it is still very cartoony. That's why it looks like a different game. I will keep my expectations very very low
Halo was always cartoony. I hope it’s not unrealistically cartoony like Fortnite is. There is a possibility they’ll try to attract the Fortnite and Overwatch crowds with a mix between Fortnite and regular Halo, but that’d still be too cartoony for my tastes. Halo 2A‘s cartoony art style worked the best and I hope they lean towards that route.
It kinda looked like H2A for the warthog at least. I personally don't see what everyone is saying. Chief looked pretty realistic to me, sure he looked a little animated, but that's just cause its a video game and not real life.
That shot of the marines legs as they throw down a flare or marker looked very much like Fortnite to me. I don’t know how else to explain it except look at that scene and tell me what you think.
Idk, I think it looks fine. The rhino herd is what looked off to me.
It appears they’re going back to the classic art style that appeared in Halo Wars 2, but some things look a little too cartoony and like Fortnite for me. I hope this isn’t the case, but this was mainly just showcasing the engine after all. I’m sure they know making things look like Fortnite wouldn’t go over well.
Yes it is still very cartoony. That's why it looks like a different game. I will keep my expectations very very low
Halo was always cartoony. I hope it’s not unrealistically cartoony like Fortnite is. There is a possibility they’ll try to attract the Fortnite and Overwatch crowds with a mix between Fortnite and regular Halo, but that’d still be too cartoony for my tastes. Halo 2A‘s cartoony art style worked the best and I hope they lean towards that route.
It kinda looked like H2A for the warthog at least. I personally don't see what everyone is saying. Chief looked pretty realistic to me, sure he looked a little animated, but that's just cause its a video game and not real life.
That shot of the marines legs as they throw down a flare or marker looked very much like Fortnite to me. I don’t know how else to explain it except look at that scene and tell me what you think.
Lol the rhino herd looks fine to me. This is just a demonstration of the engine after all, so this is gonna look completely different by launch. I hope it’ll be all fine and dandy by then.
Lol the rhino herd looks fine to me. This is just a demonstration of the engine after all, so this is gonna look completely different by launch. I hope it’ll be all fine and dandy by then.
probably not radically different this is a good idea of what the game will look like
I personaly love the new art style. To me halo has always been a bit cartoony and goofy (just look at the grunts). I loved the halo 2 blur cut scenes, and if that was to be mixed with the look of the world would look very cool. If they go in the same direction as blur did with the sangheili and grunts, which i have a feeling they will, i feel like most of the community will be pleased . I want to see prometheans and some more forerunner buildings. From what i have seen though i believe this game will look and feel great.
I'm pretty disappointed in the art style going back to Bungie looks. I very much preferred the art style 343 went with at the start of 4. Only thing I wanted back was some of the original forerunner architecture. Oh well I guess people in the minority like me are just gonna have to live with it.

I hope Fireteam Osiris and Blue Team will still be involved in the story though. I really liked both teams and I don't want them being heavily sidelined.
The visuals of the scenery looks pretty fantastic tbh. You see far and with an extreme level of detail, potentially the best in video games.

However, the character models are horrendous. The quick shot of the chief has him looking like a cartoon (and his legs are way too skinny, wtf bro do squats) and the other character models/animals don't really "fit" with the level of detail in the scenery. Effectively, it looked like you took the character models from halo wars and just "blew" them up to size. Ideally, you want the visuals to look as realistic as possible, especially with sounds. Think the chaos and sounds from battlefield, with the rest of the game being Halo. Say what you will about Halo 5 (I hated the story line), but it was the best looking in the series by far.

Really, the goal should just be to get rid of prometheans, they're just so boring to fight and unsatisfying to kill.
I thought it looked amazing. Can’t wait to see gameplay.
I agree, I do think everything will be good by launch.
The style of the armors, scenaries, forerunner arquitecture is awesome in Halo 4 and 5. In my opinion beter than the old style of the first trilogy.
But the origunal soundtrack of the old Halos was far more beter.
I'm pretty disappointed in the art style going back to Bungie looks. I very much preferred the art style 343 went with at the start of 4. Only thing I wanted back was some of the original forerunner architecture. Oh well I guess people in the minority like me are just gonna have to live with it.

I hope Fireteam Osiris and Blue Team will still be involved in the story though. I really liked both teams and I don't want them being heavily sidelined.
Totally agreed man. I really hate that fanbabies throw a tantrum, and we lose out on new characters and new stories. I've been into Halo since the very beginning, but it's not all about God-Spartan Master Chief.
The art style is EPIC!!!!!!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9