2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
I think it should be remembered that this showcased the Slipspace Engine, and might not be final graphics and art design. People shouldn't get their hopes up or expect too much, only to later be disappointed and enraged.

That said, it looks fantastic. However I do hope that if the Chief's armor is changing yet again (I actually liked the armor in Halo 4 and 5,) hopefully there's a stronger explanation than "nanobots" or just ignoring the visual shift.
There was never an explanation to why his armor changed in the first place, it was just a visual shift with the new art style that they wanted to brand. Which I never liked since I felt his Mark 6 armor was so iconic. I at least wanted them to have an explanation but they never did, so if they still don't have any plans for explaining the different armor again then I say they should give us a Master Chief armory selection before the game starts. Spanning from all the different armor he's worn.
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
Who else here hopes this means we get old school looking Grunts and not ones that look like crab people?
ME
I think it should be remembered that this showcased the Slipspace Engine, and might not be final graphics and art design. People shouldn't get their hopes up or expect too much, only to later be disappointed and enraged.

That said, it looks fantastic. However I do hope that if the Chief's armor is changing yet again (I actually liked the armor in Halo 4 and 5,) hopefully there's a stronger explanation than "nanobots" or just ignoring the visual shift.
There was never an explanation to why his armor changed in the first place, it was just a visual shift with the new art style that they wanted to brand. Which I never liked since I felt his Mark 6 armor was so iconic. I at least wanted them to have an explanation but they never did, so if they still don't have any plans for explaining the different armor again then I say they should give us a Master Chief armory selection before the game starts. Spanning from all the different armor he's worn.
Just remember it was a game engine demo. Lots can change.
Xx NicH xX wrote:
VAVA Mk2 wrote:
Who else here hopes this means we get old school looking Grunts and not ones that look like crab people?
And this is what sells more copys or keeps the online population more active?
That's not even the topic of discussion :/
This is about everyone's tastes over the art style and I like seeing everyone's opinions because it is very subjective and brings up good points about what made Halo great in their eyes.
There was never an explanation to why his armor changed in the first place, it was just a visual shift with the new art style that they wanted to brand.
The explanation of Cortana tinkering with his armor via nanobots was given. Even in-game in Halo 4 she states that she rewrote the suit's firmware. In Halo 5, his suit is MJOLNIR [GEN 2] (matching modern Spartan armors), modeled to look like his [GEN 1] suit.

It would be pretty cool to wear what armor you feel like wearing from Chief's past, though.
There was never an explanation to why his armor changed in the first place, it was just a visual shift with the new art style that they wanted to brand.
The explanation of Cortana tinkering with his armor via nanobots was given. Even in-game in Halo 4 she states that she rewrote the suit's firmware. In Halo 5, his suit is MJOLNIR [GEN 2] (matching modern Spartan armors), modeled to look like his [GEN 1] suit.

It would be pretty cool to wear what armor you feel like wearing from Chief's past, though.
I always thought of the nanobot thing was just something 343 stated so that they wouldn't hear anyone whine about it.
But it doesn't hold up considering his mark on his chest piece was never fixed. It was pretty obvious it was just a new art direction for the armor.
I mean just look at the intro of Halo 4 with the cutscenes when Halsey was narrating. It showed the new armor in flashbacks and even when he got assigned Cortana. They certainly weren't hiding the fact that they were establishing that he's "always" had that armor.
Functionally, yeah. It's just a redesign. I think the scar may have been left (canonically) for nostalgia, or perhaps it was too deep to reshape; lack of available material and all. With Halsey's narrative intro, that's been passed over as retro-imaged memory and narrative example. Meaning historically they would have been wearing the standard Mark IV-V armor, the Sangheili weren't Hesduros, and they weren't wearing Storm armor.
I thought of mentioning it could be just the visualization of her narrative but I thought that would be a stretch xD
Not a fan of it for sure, it makes more sense to me if it was just them saying "this is the art style now."
That certainly seemed to be the case with the redesign of the brief Forward Unto Dawn. From a technical standpoint, it would have probably cost too much (and thus been impractical) to make a separate MJOLNIR model for a single cutscene.
it looks amazing, classic armor, reach marines.

I am glad to see that they are keeping the current warthog and BR designs, they just seem more fitting for a future sci-fi military

plus I love the combination of classic and modern forerunner styles, it looks exactly as I always imagined it should look
Plot twist: Master Chief wakes up from a bad post-war dream on the Forward Unto Dawn, where he unleashed some ancient forerunner, Cortana committed suicide, came back to life, went bat -Yoink- crazy, became the new enemy, and went to take over the universe. He crash lands on Installation 07 instead of Requiem, reconnects with old marines and starts kicking -Yoink- again.
How would you explain Halo Wars 2, then? Events that John had no knowledge of.
I hope they bring a mix of old and new designs, pushing on what they've sorta been doing. I'd really like to see Bungie era designs (like Warthogs) come back, alongside other old school marine/covenant/forerunner designs and themes. A perfect mix of old and new would really make this game shine.
Absolutely. This will hopefully satisfy fans of both 1-reach and H4/H5 art styles, and I also like both of the art styles too.
I think its good enough given I dont believe old artstyle will truly and fully return.

The armor (at least what was shown) looked better than in quite a while so im positively surprised.

The Marine design though, could see a redesign to maybe something more pre-Halo: Reach.
Prefered h4/h5 chief he looks badass. He looked like modernized h1 chief in the trailer. The forerunner look like forerunner so that a blessing.
Them mixing the styles is what is like to see personally. But I like everything I know about this project so far.
i loved the halo reach artstyle. very grungy especially towards the campaign.

I kinda hope they follow in that aspect. Wasnt much of a fan of halo 4's.
With the return to the more classic art style I hope they give us as much customization to the armor as we had in Reach!
For the most part this reveal was breathtaking, the new engine seems quite impressive (i'm sure there are a few kinks to work out though).
If this teaser is indicative of anything then we can expect an artstyle that primarily draws inspiration from the Halo 2A style, though I did notice a few elements from the newer games such as the Battle Rifle, Warthog and Forerunner architecture.

One problem I do have though is the bland cartoonish appearance of the Marine legs that didn't seem to fit with the rest of the engine.
I don't think that they should completely discard the chief's Halo 4/5 design. What would be really cool is to make the textures less glossy and more metallic like we had in the earlier games leading up to Reach. A mix of old and new is what the series needs and is likely what will happen if Halo Wars 2 is any indication. This fanart by Poji Chow (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gLoZe) is a refreshing take on what that mix could be.

I also hope that Halo Infinite brings us heavier armors with more coverage, and more cosmetic customization options. At least like what we had in Halo 4. Being limited to only helmets, visor color, and all-in-one bodies with wierd paint jobs was disappointing to me in Halo 5. Nor did I like how so many of the armor sets were more wetsuit than protective plating.
Im not all together sure that the armor shown in the trailer is what will be in the final version of the game. this was a demonstration of the "Slipspace engine" graphics. They may have just used this more basic/original art style as a placeholder. For the record I enjoy both the old classic armor and the current model seen in halo 5 so no bias here either way.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9