Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

THE DEMO WAS FROM 6 MONTHS AGO, REJOICE!

OP CrimsonNova8549

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
WerepyreND wrote:
So the first footage the public sees of Infinite is 6 months old? They haven't had a single build in all that time that they in a better state to show off? That in itself is concerning.

I imagine most folks expecting a radical turnaround come release are likely to be disappointed.
this
tuhin94 wrote:
However old it is, the good news is that it is indeed old. This confirms a hypothesis I had earlier. That means 343i has made significant progress on the game since then and we can expect to see something much better. I think a bit of understanding for the lack of a very recent gameplay reveal would go a long way. Think about it, why would 343i intentionally make the reveal less exciting than the teasers have been showing up until now? I’m sure they were very excited when people received the E3 teaser and subsequent teasers very well.
How is significant progress confirmed in any way? You're putting a lot of stock into this being some elaborate master plan, when that is highly unlikely to be the case at all. What is most likely is that 343 didn't intentionally make the gameplay reveal more or less underwhelming and exciting...It just was. Why would you want to decrease the excitement of fans and customers? That's just nonsensical.
If true, then that's just kinda stupid. This was the world premiere. It was meant to show off not just Halo, but the Series X, and it looked laughable in places. It's akin submitting an early draft to be marked, rather than a later one that is closer to the final essay.
I feel like after Halo 4 and 5, they're being extremely selective.
Then they chose poorly. This is meant to be the most powerful console to date, and yet, the Halo 5 beta looked far better in early 2015 on a base Xbox One. Infinite is only about four months from launch, and this is what they chose to show to represent the game?
This demo wasn't being played on a Series X, it was being played on an Xbox One X. As other have also said, this is also a much older build(most E3 demos are made months in advance using whatever builds they have available).
tuhin94 wrote:
However old it is, the good news is that it is indeed old. This confirms a hypothesis I had earlier. That means 343i has made significant progress on the game since then and we can expect to see something much better. I think a bit of understanding for the lack of a very recent gameplay reveal would go a long way. Think about it, why would 343i intentionally make the reveal less exciting than the teasers have been showing up until now? I’m sure they were very excited when people received the E3 teaser and subsequent teasers very well.
How is significant progress confirmed in any way? You're putting a lot of stock into this being some elaborate master plan, when that is highly unlikely to be the case at all. What is most likely is that 343 didn't intentionally make the gameplay reveal more or less underwhelming and exciting...It just was. Why would you want to decrease the excitement of fans and customers? That's just nonsensical.
Well that’s my point - that was the best reveal they had to work with considering they have to work from home. I’m not taking sides or anything since I had some concerns as soon as the gameplay began, but the new info we are getting at least puts me a bit at ease. Still, I’ll hold off final judgment until the game comes out.
CY SIayer wrote:
This was the gameplay reveal. 343i should have been very critical of what they were going to show today. The visual quality of the demo was seriously underwhelming, it was really plain to see.

Games like God of War, The Witcher 3, Gears of War etc showed gameplay demoes a full year before release, and the visual quality on display looked substantially similar to the final product. So they shouldn't be relying on this excuse 3 or 4 months before launch.

The gameplay looked very run of the mill. This was supposed to be the game that wowed us, the system seller.

From the enemy models to the environments, weapons, and overall aesthetic of the game, I really didn't get blown away by anything I saw.
All of the demos you mentioned were done on high-powered workstations, not actual consoles or PCs. This is standard practice for conference demos and always has been.

The Halo Infinite demo is being played on an Xbox One X, not a Series X or workstation. It's an unorthodox way to do it, but it's not the first time it's been done.
If true, then that's just kinda stupid. This was the world premiere. It was meant to show off not just Halo, but the Series X, and it looked laughable in places. It's akin submitting an early draft to be marked, rather than a later one that is closer to the final essay.
I feel like after Halo 4 and 5, they're being extremely selective.
Then they chose poorly. This is meant to be the most powerful console to date, and yet, the Halo 5 beta looked far better in early 2015 on a base Xbox One. Infinite is only about four months from launch, and this is what they chose to show to represent the game?
This demo wasn't being played on a Series X, it was being played on an Xbox One X. As other have also said, this is also a much older build(most E3 demos are made months in advance using whatever builds they have available).
That makes even less sense. Why would you not show off the game with its best potential possible, regardless of its stage of development?

It wasn't stated during the show, so it doesn't matter for the overall perception of Infinite and the Series X. Maybe if they'd said that it was played on a One X, and that this is a much older build, due to limitations during a pandemic, before the reveal, it'd be a lot better. But they didn't. I'm learning about it hours later on Halo's own forums, so I don't know how non-hardcore Halo fans are going to find out.

Even if it were stated, this is Xbox's flagship. This is the point to buy a Series X. Xbox should have pulled out all the stops to make this game look its best, regardless of the circumstances, because now nobody thinks it's worth buying the new console if this is what the prime item looks like about four months before release. It's worth noting that this was an exclusive Xbox event too, so they chose the date. Should have set it later if Infinite wasn't ready to be shown.
I really don't get how anyone thinks the demo graphics looked awful. They looked fine, and I feel I should mention: The game is going to objectively look worse on the Xbox than it's going to on PC. The engine may be capable of looking like the original trailer, however that does not mean the Xbox is going to have the horsepower to pull that off.
CY SIayer wrote:
This was the gameplay reveal. 343i should have been very critical of what they were going to show today. The visual quality of the demo was seriously underwhelming, it was really plain to see.

Games like God of War, The Witcher 3, Gears of War etc showed gameplay demoes a full year before release, and the visual quality on display looked substantially similar to the final product. So they shouldn't be relying on this excuse 3 or 4 months before launch.

The gameplay looked very run of the mill. This was supposed to be the game that wowed us, the system seller.

From the enemy models to the environments, weapons, and overall aesthetic of the game, I really didn't get blown away by anything I saw.
All of the demos you mentioned were done on high-powered workstations, not actual consoles or PCs. This is standard practice for conference demos and always has been.

The Halo Infinite demo is being played on an Xbox One X, not a Series X or workstation. It's an unorthodox way to do it, but it's not the first time it's been done.
Yea I'm not really buying that. If there were other better quality examples of the engine they would have posted them in the write up with the demo to show off the difference in the capabilities of the SX and PC as opposed to the One. Increased graphical quality would help push the GamePass sales for PC and SX pre orders.

To me this all seems rushed because MS want to try and sell the removal of the year sub as a good thing, but don't really have a solid plan/ or don't want to tell the public what the real plan is yet.
CY SIayer wrote:

Yea I'm not really buying that. If there were other better quality examples of the engine they would have posted them in the write up with the demo to show off the difference in the capabilities of the SX and PC as opposed to the One. Increased graphical quality would help push the GamePass sales for PC and SX pre orders.

To me this all seems rushed because MS want to try and sell the removal of the year sub as a good thing, but don't really have a solid plan/ or don't want to tell the public what the real plan is yet.
We don't know what goes on in other people's heads, especially those we never meet, so who knows what Microsoft is thinking with this demo.

As I said, the way they did the demo is unusual, and it perfectly demonstrates the reasons why developers demo their games with workstations rather than actual consoles and PCs. They just look and work better.

All that said, this won't be the last demo they do. We still have multiplayer and gameplay trailers yet to come. First impressions are important, but second impressions are arguably just as vital, as they can be the true make-or-break. Hopefully the next we see of the game looks better than this demo.
CY SIayer wrote:

We don't know what goes on in other people's heads, especially those we never meet, so who knows what Microsoft is thinking with this demo.

As I said, the way they did the demo is unusual, and it perfectly demonstrates the reasons why developers demo their games with workstations rather than actual consoles and PCs. They just look and work better.

All that said, this won't be the last demo they do. We still have multiplayer and gameplay trailers yet to come. First impressions are important, but second impressions are arguably just as vital, as they can be the true make-or-break. Hopefully the next we see of the game looks better than this demo.
Yea I don't mean to sound combative, rereading my post I see it comes off like that. I'm deff hoping that there will be a lot more to come out and something that hooks me, I just kinda get this sense that things are being rushed. I wouldn't mind if they pushed both the console and game release a year, and cut the One from the lineup.
Instead of providing a reason to rejoice, this prospect raises even more concerns about 343i's development cycle. Showing a six-month old demo for a game that has been in development for almost half a decade is simply unprofessional. It might be the Covid-19 situation hampering them but if that were the case, they would have come out and said so. I want to believe that Infinite will be the best game put forth by 343i, but up until now, they haven't been inspiring confidence in their fan base.
Instead of providing a reason to rejoice, this prospect raises even more concerns about 343i's development cycle. Showing a six-month old demo for a game that has been in development for almost half a decade is simply unprofessional. It might be the Covid-19 situation hampering them but if that were the case, they would have come out and said so. I want to believe that Infinite will be the best game put forth by 343i, but up until now, they haven't been inspiring confidence in their fan base.
They kinda did in the article that went along with the release.

"Today, I’m thrilled to share the world premiere of Halo Infinite Campaign gameplay with fans around the world. A lot has happened since we last spoke way back at E3 2019 – the team has forged ahead through unprecedented challenges as we’ve transitioned the studio and our partners to bring Halo Infinite to life remotely while working in our homes amidst this global pandemic."

From the main Waypoint page.
If true, then that's just kinda stupid. This was the world premiere. It was meant to show off not just Halo, but the Series X, and it looked laughable in places. It's akin submitting an early draft to be marked, rather than a later one that is closer to the final essay, even when that later draft exists.
I can't even see the tweet, so... Rip.
WerepyreND wrote:
So the first footage the public sees of Infinite is 6 months old? They haven't had a single build in all that time that they in a better state to show off? That in itself is concerning.

I imagine most folks expecting a radical turnaround come release are likely to be disappointed.
Do you not realise how long it would take to hobble together a playable build of the game from a current build during an ongoing pandemic? It would already be a task to do without the pandemic in such a short period of time, let alone during a global pandemic. Also you do realise that demos like this one, are usually prepared months in advance to the date they are revealed, that is due to them having to get that build into a playable state, so it will obviously be using a build that is not reflective of the current build as things would likely have changed inbetween that time. Yes, in a ideal world they maybe would have used the more recent build if they were actually preparing to go to an event like E3, but given the certain situation, this was likely the best they could do without hindering there schedule. Also you do realise that this game is going to be usable on the older gens consoles aswell as the newer gen ones, If I had to guess, I would say it is more likely that this is being played on any Xbox One X rather that an actual Xbox Series X, so I believe that yes, unfortunately if you do not upgrade to the next gen consoles, your version of Infinite is going to be inferior to the Series X version, that is just the unfortunate side effects of an older console verses newer hardware. So in my opinion, give the game some time to be fully revealed before making final judgements on the Graphical fidelity of the game.
I’m confused, do you guys want the game to look like Halo or something else. To me it looked sharp and visually pleasing. Halo has never looked “life like” and has always had an arcade art style to it. I really don’t understand what part didn’t look good.
Guys this happened with Halo 2 as well. The original Halo 2 demo looked like a cartoon, and when Halo 2 dropped it was completely different. The same happened for Halo 5 Guardians. People complained it was too dark, and 343 changed it to a cartoon look. So don't be too worried about Halo Infinite. Demos are typically old builds. Games go through thousands of builds. There's always multiple different build running at once. The legend, Marty even talked about this type of stuff in multiple interviews. The build 343 used is most likely the most stable build they can find that represents a portion of the gameplay, but not the final product for graphics, sound design, etc...
For me personally the graphics were for the most part fine. I like the cartoony, mostly colourful looks. But a lot just looks bland and uninspired. Nonetheless, even if this is an "x month old build" it was the first everybody got to see and this was supposed to be a "hey look, we got cool products just like the competition". Imo this didn't work out and people have justified concerns. This game especially is a make or break for a lot of people. If the developers want to appeal to a new audience with every new game then good luck to them.
https://twitter.com/VincentGat/status/1286469696376774658?s=19

At Least If What They're Saying Is True, And I Hope To God It Is.
the tweet doesnt exist anymore lmao
CY SIayer wrote:

ill remind you it was a pandemic. 4 months lost...n 4 months to go to polish. u really in 4 moths they cqnt get it looking beautiful...the hard pqrt wqs the gameplay n feel, which they nailed. dont forget contezt of things u see. its a demo. not a finish game. this is why they hate showing games before they finish.
https://twitter.com/VincentGat/status/1286469696376774658?s=19

At Least If What They're Saying Is True, And I Hope To God It Is.
Tweet has been deleted. Screenshot?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6