Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

THE DEMO WAS FROM 6 MONTHS AGO, REJOICE!

OP CrimsonNova8549

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
Pandemic is no excuse. We ALL have had to deal with the pandemic. Take necessary precautions, wear a mask, and build the game. I do not feel like the pandemic is solely responsible for underwhelming graphics, or a "several month old" demo...they knew exactly what they showed off today, and that makes me believe this is what they really have to offer, which is underwhelming and sad. This was meant to sell the "most powerful console ever", and they likely tried to show their best. But...is that all you can conjure? Eww.
reqlly lmao. its just a game. microsoft shut down all their offices. u sound kind of silly. i dont wqnt people risking lives for a game. thqts not essential. whats wrong with people..no wonder we have tge most cases n deaths. people just arrnt smart
https://twitter.com/VincentGat/status/1286469696376774658?s=19

At Least If What They're Saying Is True, And I Hope To God It Is.
This is absolutley unacceptable.

The most important day in Xbox's history was today...and they showed off a six month old demo?!

Everyone involved should be fired and Phil Spencer should be ashamed of himself.

By making this choice they literally guaranteed 3rd place AGAIN for an entire generation. I would put this up there with Palm as the worst marketing decisions of all-time. Palm killed their company with one bad commercial and Microsoft killed the Xbox Series X showing a six month old demo. Wow.
If true, then that's just kinda stupid. This was the world premiere. It was meant to show off not just Halo, but the Series X, and it looked laughable in places. It's akin submitting an early draft to be marked, rather than a later one that is closer to the final essay.
I feel like after Halo 4 and 5, they're being extremely selective.
Then they chose poorly. This is meant to be the most powerful console to date, and yet, the Halo 5 beta looked far better in early 2015 on a base Xbox One. Infinite is only about four months from launch, and this is what they chose to show to represent the game?
This demo wasn't being played on a Series X, it was being played on an Xbox One X. As other have also said, this is also a much older build(most E3 demos are made months in advance using whatever builds they have available).
That makes even less sense. Why would you not show off the game with its best potential possible, regardless of its stage of development?

It wasn't stated during the show, so it doesn't matter for the overall perception of Infinite and the Series X. Maybe if they'd said that it was played on a One X, and that this is a much older build, due to limitations during a pandemic, before the reveal, it'd be a lot better. But they didn't. I'm learning about it hours later on Halo's own forums, so I don't know how non-hardcore Halo fans are going to find out.

Even if it were stated, this is Xbox's flagship. This is the point to buy a Series X. Xbox should have pulled out all the stops to make this game look its best, regardless of the circumstances, because now nobody thinks it's worth buying the new console if this is what the prime item looks like about four months before release. It's worth noting that this was an exclusive Xbox event too, so they chose the date. Should have set it later if Infinite wasn't ready to be shown.
again most people will know its a pandemic. show me a lunxh ps5 game that looked good n next gen...spider showrd no gameplay..plus its the same engine as the ps4 game. rachet, thats not lunching( in my opinon the best looking) gt racing had pop in. souls a remaster n i didnt see a hud so not gameplay. be smart n understanding. its a open world shooter...a new engine all while in a pandemic with 4 months gone n work from home. chill. the gameplay was awesome
If true, then that's just kinda stupid. This was the world premiere. It was meant to show off not just Halo, but the Series X, and it looked laughable in places. It's akin submitting an early draft to be marked, rather than a later one that is closer to the final essay, even when that later draft exists.
It was apparently run on a pc so what would the point be?
CY SIayer wrote:
This was the gameplay reveal. 343i should have been very critical of what they were going to show today. The visual quality of the demo was seriously underwhelming, it was really plain to see.

Games like God of War, The Witcher 3, Gears of War etc showed gameplay demoes a full year before release, and the visual quality on display looked substantially similar to the final product. So they shouldn't be relying on this excuse 3 or 4 months before launch.

The gameplay looked very run of the mill. This was supposed to be the game that wowed us, the system seller.

From the enemy models to the environments, weapons, and overall aesthetic of the game, I really didn't get blown away by anything I saw.
All of the demos you mentioned were done on high-powered workstations, not actual consoles or PCs. This is standard practice for conference demos and always has been.

The Halo Infinite demo is being played on an Xbox One X, not a Series X or workstation. It's an unorthodox way to do it, but it's not the first time it's been done.
Yea I'm not really buying that. If there were other better quality examples of the engine they would have posted them in the write up with the demo to show off the difference in the capabilities of the SX and PC as opposed to the One. Increased graphical quality would help push the GamePass sales for PC and SX pre orders.

To me this all seems rushed because MS want to try and sell the removal of the year sub as a good thing, but don't really have a solid plan/ or don't want to tell the public what the real plan is yet.
We don't know what goes on in other people's heads, especially those we never meet, so who knows what Microsoft is thinking with this demo.

As I said, the way they did the demo is unusual, and it perfectly demonstrates the reasons why developers demo their games with workstations rather than actual consoles and PCs. They just look and work better.

All that said, this won't be the last demo they do. We still have multiplayer and gameplay trailers yet to come. First impressions are important, but second impressions are arguably just as vital, as they can be the true make-or-break. Hopefully the next we see of the game looks better than this demo.
Yea I don't mean to sound combative, rereading my post I see it comes off like that. I'm deff hoping that there will be a lot more to come out and something that hooks me, I just kinda get this sense that things are being rushed. I wouldn't mind if they pushed both the console and game release a year, and cut the One from the lineup.
it has nothing to do with the one...come on man. u think the one made the series x have pop in lol. its as simple as in a pandemic its hard to make a game. when u studio is shut down. its that simple. it was notging there that was held back other tgen not having the time to polish thats it.
WerepyreND wrote:
So the first footage the public sees of Infinite is 6 months old? They haven't had a single build in all that time that they in a better state to show off? That in itself is concerning.

I imagine most folks expecting a radical turnaround come release are likely to be disappointed.
Do you not realise how long it would take to hobble together a playable build of the game from a current build during an ongoing pandemic? It would already be a task to do without the pandemic in such a short period of time, let alone during a global pandemic. Also you do realise that demos like this one, are usually prepared months in advance to the date they are revealed, that is due to them having to get that build into a playable state, so it will obviously be using a build that is not reflective of the current build as things would likely have changed inbetween that time. Yes, in a ideal world they maybe would have used the more recent build if they were actually preparing to go to an event like E3, but given the certain situation, this was likely the best they could do without hindering there schedule. Also you do realise that this game is going to be usable on the older gens consoles aswell as the newer gen ones, If I had to guess, I would say it is more likely that this is being played on any Xbox One X rather that an actual Xbox Series X, so I believe that yes, unfortunately if you do not upgrade to the next gen consoles, your version of Infinite is going to be inferior to the Series X version, that is just the unfortunate side effects of an older console verses newer hardware. So in my opinion, give the game some time to be fully revealed before making final judgements on the Graphical fidelity of the game.
As I said this if this is the best they can muster is from January that sends a terrible message about the current state of the game. The short trailer they released already demonstrates some improvements to texture quality and the like, but it is not a radically different looking game. Folks expecting a massive jump in fidelity at launch are likely in for a rude awakening, especially because of said pandemic. If you have concerns about how it looks now, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment by sticking your head in the sand.

I sympathize with everyone who's creative process has been disrupted by this bloody plague, but from where I'm sitting it looks like things went wrong well before Covid ever entered the picture.
Tweet was most likely deleted because it literally made facts up. No where in the video did it say the demo was 6 months old, and people are jumping on to that tweet as fact.

The most important day in Xbox's history was today...and they showed off a six month old demo?!

Everyone involved should be fired and Phil Spencer should be ashamed of himself.

By making this choice they literally guaranteed 3rd place AGAIN for an entire generation. I would put this up there with Palm as the worst marketing decisions of all-time. Palm killed their company with one bad commercial and Microsoft killed the Xbox Series X showing a six month old demo. Wow.
Yeah, the $500-600 dollar price point during an economic downturn TOTALLY has nothing to do with why the console sells less often! Everyone's got that kind of cash floating around! */sarc*
Six me or not is still shameful.

Demo on PC and not Xbox Series X. And the game will run in 4K 60FPS on Xbox Series X without Ray Tracing at launch but via an update.
Where are the 120 FPS and the 12 teraflops?
Halo: The Master Collection and Halo 5: Guardians are already running at 4K 60FPS.
Graphically the game is not up to the next gen. It's poor and bland.
Halo 5: Guardians and Halo 2 Anniversary are better.
The tweet is no longer available which is sad.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the demo was that old. Most demos are older builds of the game. Even then, for the world premiere of Halo I would of expected something a bit more up to scratch
That is the final product, we have to deal with it.
If it weren't why would they use THAT to show:
A) The first gameplay reveal using it.
B) Use it as the trailer on Steam advertising your product
C) Not say a single word about how that was a old demo and show screenshots or trailers/snippets of current graphics etc.

Guys we just gotta face the facts.

This is the Halo we're getting and we have to deal with it.
It's over.. it's ded.
CY SIayer wrote:
This was the gameplay reveal. 343i should have been very critical of what they were going to show today. The visual quality of the demo was seriously underwhelming, it was really plain to see.

Games like God of War, The Witcher 3, Gears of War etc showed gameplay demoes a full year before release, and the visual quality on display looked substantially similar to the final product. So they shouldn't be relying on this excuse 3 or 4 months before launch.

The gameplay looked very run of the mill. This was supposed to be the game that wowed us, the system seller.

From the enemy models to the environments, weapons, and overall aesthetic of the game, I really didn't get blown away by anything I saw.
This. And that also counts for most other games in the show. If 343i wasn't that critical it should have been Microsoft themselves because a lot of what we saw was underwhelming in terms of graphics. I feel like only Forza showed off what we can expect from the XSX.

Furthermore: something goes wrong when your 1 minute trailer is more impressive than your 8 minute demo...at least the trailer and the news of this being an old build have restored some of my faith. But man this is a bad move...
While it is agreed and basically confirmed now by a few sources that what we got was an old build...I don't hear her saying 6 months in the video but if I had to a wild guess about it, this was a build from early this year from possibly January and reason we got that one today and most likely not a current build or one from lets say May or June was because of the ongoing pandemic.
DING DING DING!!

WE HAVE A WINNER!
The pandemic could not have happened at a worse time in the development process. 343 is going to have to rush to put the final product out by the end of this year and actively fix things as we go along. I have a bad feeling that the final product will be embarrassing...
Even if it's true, I don't think graphics looks better now.
For what we have saw, it is a joke.
And now I'm hesitating to buy a Xbox Series X, and for a Halo game, it's a shame.
Even Halo 3 which is in my opinion the "less impressive in term of graphics" for a new gen game (at the begining of the Xbox 360), we saw a graphics gap.
Here it looks like a REGRESSION.
Halo 5 looks better with more details, and with a more pure old school design, Halo 2 anniversary multiplayer (in my fat Xbox One of 2013) looks way better than this.
A shame
Um ... are people fogetting this game has been on development for 5 FREAKING YEARS!!!!???

It has been really dissapointing watching this demo, the graphics, and the mechanics blunder they once again chose to display even though the community had given backlash in Halo 4 and 5.

I'm suprised people are giving a 6 month excuse ... even though this game has been in development for 5 YEARS.
The pandemic could not have happened at a worse time in the development process. 343 is going to have to rush to put the final product out by the end of this year and actively fix things as we go along. I have a bad feeling that the final product will be embarrassing...
Dude... this game has been in development for 5 years ..what do you mean by "rush." They had plenty of time .. and some left over.
Microsoft once again not managing expectations all that well. If they were going to show an old build, they should have made it apparent that was the case. Assuming there's any truth to that rumour

It would have literally taken a line or two of dialogue before the game was up and running.

Because now people are confused and, generally the confused mind leans to "no" when it comes to bigger investments. Once again assuming this old build thing is true. Ray tracing post launch, I'm hoping they mean in like a patch within the first week!

I liked what I saw, I liked it a lot. Esp as sprint has been slowed down, I can only imagine the Co op opportunities in the expansive world, but graphically it wasn't up to parr. And I liked the art style but the lighting made some areas look like H5 Forge!

Calm down, man. With the whole pandemic thing, maybe they couldn’t get a new demo ready, because all of their spare time was used up with the full game? At least, that’s the conclusion I made.
Aut0b0t117 wrote:

Calm down, man. With the whole pandemic thing, maybe they couldn’t get a new demo ready, because all of their spare time was used up with the full game? At least, that’s the conclusion I made.
Again.... this game has been on development for 5 years ... no excuse you can give me will pardon this poor showing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6