Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

The Flood in Halo Infinite

OP A Sweet Hamster

If the flood return in halo infinite, do you think infinite’s story will be long enough to have a good flood return, flood battle, and an end to the flood, all in one game? Most halos have around 10 missions, and that seems like enough missions to have a good plot with the flood but it won’t be JUST flood. We still have Cortana to deal with, and the covenant I believe. So that being said, could the flood return, and be dealt with, without it being a let down in the sense that they had a short return to the series, all in one game, OR, do you think that halo Infinite could spark up a Halo 7 in which we DO eradicate the flood?
Personally I'm hoping it's similar to halo 2 and 3 where you aren't aware of the Floods presence. Then your suddenly dropped into the nightmare. But instead of "finishing off" the Flood like we thought we did in 3 the infestation becomes too out of hand to stop. Which continues to conflict into halo 7.
Personally I'm hoping it's similar to halo 2 and 3 where you aren't aware of the Floods presence. Then your suddenly dropped into the nightmare. But instead of "finishing off" the Flood like we thought we did in 3 the infestation becomes too out of hand to stop. Which continues to conflict into halo 7.
This is exactly how I want it as well. Nicely said.
I think you could introduce and "defeat" the Flood in a single game but there's always a possibility of some escaping elsewhere ;)
Personally, I think it's too early for any large-scale outbreaks. Granted, if we're on Installation 07 then there are a lot of avenues to explore with the Flood in Infinite, but I'd like for Halo to explore its setting without a new "threat of the week" cropping up and being yet another galaxy-spanning danger.
The way that Cortana evolved and the technologies she taps into in Halo 5 seems to have elevated her to the level of some Lovecraftian, galaxy-controlling gods. I would think that the only thing The Flood would be the only thing powerful enough to even pose a threat. I suspect that the final few missions will involve powerful Flood forces in all out war with Cortana.
From what I know is that it can be possible that the Flood could end up on Halo Infinite, because on the past Halo 2, 3. Cortana gets the Logic Plague. Which causes A.I.'s rampancy to trigger. So I can be possible that the Flood is going to be on Halo Infinite. But, I'm not entirely sure, from what I know is that the Flood is possibly going to be more scarier, more dangerous to kill. But, that's just my theory.
Considering the setting being Installation 07 and all its precursor/flood related history, it would be a serious shame not to have the flood appear to some extent. I can imagine them coming in and breaking the enemies similarly to what they did in Combat Evolved which allowed for the UNSC to gain the upper hand in an abrupt but effective victory. Since history is repeating itself with humanity on the run again, I think they could have a hand in giving humanity a chance to turn the tide again.
It would be criminal to be on zeta Halo and not having the Flood involved somehow. I'm not saying it has to be an outbreak on a large scale or even the catalyst to H7 though. There are plenty of avenues to move the story along. Plus we already have a lot on our plates already, just to mention some open plot-lines and plenty of enemies that could be part of Hi:
  • MC working with the military
  • the status of Blue Team
  • ONI and Locke
  • Cortana and her Covis
  • Prometheans
  • Guardians
  • Doctor Anders encountered a Guardian at the end of HW2 too
  • Forerunner defences
  • the created with the whole AI plot
  • the Banished (if the toys are anything to go of)
  • Halo's wild-life most probably
  • traces of ancient humans
  • the battle that we just lost before the beginning
  • also the Infinity and their SIV
...even the Sword of Sangheilos could make an appearance, even though I doubt it. The Spirit of Fire could also be involved if the Banished are around. Again, I strongly doubt that's the case, reason why it's not in the list, but it is possible. And again, we have the Doc. Anders situation, which I hope is getting resolved in game and not in some random and badly written comic I have to import again...

In any case it's a lot! And yet, I'm still certain our beloved little nightmares of sci-fi body horror are going to be involved somehow. I just hope the writing team at 343i can handle all this chaos!
I think we will most likely see the Flood coming back in the upcoming Halo Infinite. I really want to see Master Chief and the marines fighting the Flood again. I also think that the Flood will be playing a very big role in future Halo installments especially if there is a direct sequel to Halo Infinite.
As others have said, it'd be preposterous to not have some form of Flood involvement on Installation 07. However, I'm curious as to how they would breach containment once more. As far as I know, the Flood is currently contained on The Ark, and samples presumably exist within muliple research facilities scattered across the Halos. By now the following factions are supposedly aware of both the existence of the Flood and the threat they pose:

- UNSC
- Splinter factions from the former Covenant, most notably the Swords of Sanghelios
- The Banished
- The Created

None of these factions could possibly benefit from an outbreak. A simple 'oops' like on 04 only worked because of the lack of knowledge on the Flood. Such an excuse won't be satisfactory for me in HI. Something must've seriously gone wrong for the Flood to reappear.
If the flood return in halo infinite, do you think infinite’s story will be long enough to have a good flood return, flood battle, and an end to the flood, all in one game? Most halos have around 10 missions, and that seems like enough missions to have a good plot with the flood but it won’t be JUST flood. We still have Cortana to deal with, and the covenant I believe. So that being said, could the flood return, and be dealt with, without it being a let down in the sense that they had a short return to the series, all in one game, OR, do you think that halo Infinite could spark up a Halo 7 in which we DO eradicate the flood?
Depends how long the missions are and how far they go with the open world segments.

IMO Halo 4 and 5 were too short. Open world segments allow for ambience and time to soak up the story that you don’t get if you can dash through a mission in 20 minutes. There is quite a lot of plot and character moments in Halo 5 you can miss out on. Reunion is a good example of this.

But even in Halo 4 I felt the Didact and the Prometheans were introduced too quickly. I can understand why. They wanted to introduce the conflict early and escalate the stakes. But it meant the reveal of the Prometheans didn’t have the same impact the Flood upending the table midgame of Halo CE.

I think the game will mirror Halo CE. The first five missions will focus on the Banished with Cortanas forces present as a looming threat. They need some way of defeating her in this distant war. Then mid game the flood up end the table and I think this could work. A crazy Rogue Servitor AI with a massive army of anti flood robots becomes something very different if the Flood are in the game. So the second half would be Chief trying to save Cortana and then deal with the Flood.

They said they wanted to do a Reclaimer Saga. Perhaps that’s changed. But it would be odd to do one game in your soft reboot before moving in to a totally different storyline. So I don’t think it will resolve everything. Perhaps they’ll set the seeds in place for future conflicts here. I mean, they could delay a Cortana redemption arc, depower her for a game leaving the Created around, have the Flood beaten on the ring but loose in the galaxy; have the Banished swoop in on a vulnerable UNSC that got rid of their Rogue Servitor.
I'm honestly not sure whether the Flood will be in Infinite or not but I hope they are. I would love to see a plot twist like the Flood coming in after fighting off whatever enemies Cortona sends at us.
Imagine open world gameplay in Flood blightlands at night

Nightmare fuel lads. The potential of that could beat the library
The Flood returning in Halo infinite would be amazing. Imagine the introduction of a Keymind.
It'd be cool if there was a Call of Duty Zombies-style flood horde mode in Infinite, with lore you can uncover in things like audio logs and data pads if you look around the map hard enough
VeganSlayer, I would love for there to be a 3 way Firefight mode. So not only are you fighting covenant, you're also fighting the flood. That means all 3 sides are fighting each other.
I really hope they bring back the flood and give us more dialogue like in the video below. The Gravemind is my favorite character. To me it's like he's talking to the player breaking the fourth wall yet still staying in character. If you bring them back please get the same voice talent.

Grave mind quotes

Could we also be able to play as a flood spartan/elite in custom games without being in an infection game mode please.

Thanks
PdxEmo03 wrote:
VeganSlayer, I would love for there to be a 3 way Firefight mode. So not only are you fighting covenant, you're also fighting the flood. That means all 3 sides are fighting each other.
That's a really good idea, I hope firefight gets expanded in general for Infinite and that'd be a mode I'd definetly play