The Flood will not be in Halo Infinite

OP JLtheStoneWall

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I have seen probably 5 forums now that say halo infinite will not have the flood, but not a single on has given and solid proof. THE GORE FROM COMBAT FORMS IS NO WORSE THAN STOMPING A ROACH! Halo wars had arguably the worst part of the flood: cutscenes. The cutscenes showed the true horror and violence of the flood. The same goes for the cutscenes in halo 2A. In gameplay it is not nearly as gruesome. It is no worse than any PG-13 sci-fi movie I have ever seen. As for violence, you can literally stab another human in the face with a knife and then knee it further into their face in Halo 5 (a T-rated game). Halo infinite can be rated teen and still contain the flood.

(Apologies if this sounds too aggressive, but again, I think too many people believe that halo infinite won't have the flood purely based on the fact that the game is rated teen. So far, I have seen no other arguments.)
The issue is, most rating systems automatically go to 16+ or M-rated when dismemberment is involved. Even with Halo's "goofyness". In other words if you have an organic humanoid enemy and you can shoot their heads ans limbs off, it's basically impossible for the game to be teen rated. And the Floods without gory parts is just blasphemy!

That's the reason why people are pointing towards a DLC: it that's not the rating all the classic Flood enemy types are most probably NOT in the base game. However Hi is also a GAAS with a ten years plan and even set on Zeta Halo - which comes with a huge Flood history on it's shoulders. Not involving them is a missed opportunity frankly speaking!

Tldr.: it's unthinkable to have such a long game as a service without getting our beloved space-zombie-infection sooner or later, but a T-rating makes me doubt that we'll see them at launch with the first campaign because of the nature of the enemy type itself.
Wolvalin wrote:
It wouldn't make sense for the Flood to be in either of those games, and if they were, unless they played a very integral part in the story, they'd feel very shoehorned in. We need to establish the new status quo before unleashing the ultimate enemy again.
I guess what you meant when you said
Quote:
Anything relating to the forerunner or precursors is necessarily going to involve the flood in some way.
was actually that anything relating to a Halo installation is necessarily going to involve the Flood in some way.
Especially Installation 7, it would be insulting to the Expanded Universe if the Flood were to be excluded in Infinite, and essentially retcon whatever previous lore on the Installation.
Wolvalin wrote:
It wouldn't make sense for the Flood to be in either of those games, and if they were, unless they played a very integral part in the story, they'd feel very shoehorned in. We need to establish the new status quo before unleashing the ultimate enemy again.
I guess what you meant when you said
Quote:
Anything relating to the forerunner or precursors is necessarily going to involve the flood in some way.
was actually that anything relating to a Halo installation is necessarily going to involve the Flood in some way.
Especially Installation 7, it would be insulting to the Expanded Universe if the Flood were to be excluded in Infinite, and essentially retcon whatever previous lore on the Installation.
It's been a 100,000 years since the ring was really active with events, so a lot could have happened to clean up the flood problems. Maybe even Cortana used the Prometheans to salvage the ring after 5.
At this point in time, the major known setting for Halo Infinite's campaign is Zeta Halo. For those who may be unfamiliar with the novels and the lore they contain, Zeta Halo featured heavily in the book Halo: Primordium, which was the second book in the Forerunner trilogy of novels.

A descendant or remnant of the Precursors known as the "Primordial" resided on Zeta Halo for a time. This creature was part of the Flood consciousness, and it was responsible for infecting Mendicant Bias with something called the "logic plague." There were other Flood exploits on Zeta Halo, and this information has inspired endless speculation on whether or not the Flood will return in Halo Infinite as an enemy faction.

The short answer is no.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/Halo-Infinite/9PP5G1F0C2B6

Halo Infinite is rated T for Violence. If the Flood feature in the game at all, it's highly unlikely that they will be an entity that the player can fight. Unless the ESRB has changed its standards for what constitutes gore, I personally don't believe the Flood will be in the game. And that's okay.

While it's worth noting that Halo Wars 2 has the Flood and retains its T rating, I wouldn't advise holding out for their presence in Halo Infinite. That would probably be setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I think the Flood have served their purpose within the narrative, and bringing them back would be pointless and an unnecessary headache for the narrative team.
While I understand your points, I sincerely hope you’re wrong. (No offense) I love the flood and it would be great for them to return. As someone has previously mentioned, maybe putting them in a DLC could work. Make the game rated T and the DLC rated M.
Quote:
While I understand your points, I sincerely hope you’re wrong. (No offense) I love the flood and it would be great for them to return. As someone has previously mentioned, maybe putting them in a DLC could work. Make the game rated T and the DLC rated M.
Are there any examples of something like that actually happening?

I’m not aware of any base game having a different rating than its DLC content.
To be fair, its been stated that Infinite will be a platform for further developments. So it's sincerely possible that DLC/updates could include flood even if it doesnt have them upon release. I think they may be quite pleased with how MCC has been going and frankly I agree. I can't speak to examples of cross rated DLC however, I don't know anything about that.
Quote:

I never mentioned that it's happened before, I just thought it was an interesting idea. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if the ESRB wasn't the worst age rating group to exist.
Quote:

I never mentioned that it's happened before, I just thought it was an interesting idea. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if the ESRB wasn't the worst age rating group to exist.
So there's no precedent to suggest that it actually might happen.
"Halo Infinite is rated T for Violence"
That was likely a bug, unless there was some kind of beta we didn't hear about. Like others have said, as long as there are no transformations, maybe Infinite can have the flood with a T rating, like HW2. On top of that, some kinds of mild gore is allowed by ESRB, as long as it isn't TOO graphic.
I thought I had heard Infinite being rated T too, but apparently that was just a placeholder and the rating is still pending.
Wolvalin wrote:
To be fair, its been stated that Infinite will be a platform for further developments. So it's sincerely possible that DLC/updates could include flood even if it doesnt have them upon release. I think they may be quite pleased with how MCC has been going and frankly I agree. I can't speak to examples of cross rated DLC however, I don't know anything about that.
That could be, but honestly I'd quite like to see the Flood in base game, too. I have my doubts about this whole "platform for future" deal.
Darwi wrote:
The Flood will be back.

Not necessarily at launch.

But over the 10 year life span of the game it's hard to see them not being a regular part of the narrative.
yeah, i agree. plus with 10 years theres only so much content you can add before having to add the flood
Sypriz wrote:
Darwi wrote:
The Flood will be back.

But over the 10 year life span of the game it's hard to see them not being a regular part of the narrative.
yeah, i agree. plus with 10 years theres only so much content you can add before having to add the flood
How would you know this? I'm curious, do you think Halo is really so limited in the way of new enemies and storylines?
Sypriz wrote:
Darwi wrote:
The Flood will be back.

How would you know this? I'm curious, do you think Halo is really so limited in the way of new enemies and storylines?
It’s somewhat limited, and the flood is a major part of halos main story, so going 10 whole years without adding them into a halo game wouldn’t make any sense at all
Quote:

Edit = Withdrawn. Revising my reply.

Edit 2 = This has happened before, ESRB have rated DLC in Total War M, and the game is rated T. It does seem to be a rare thing though, but I see no reason why Halo Infinite cannot do the same. Total War is a PC game too but I wonder how this would affect set ups on console.

For example. A parent has the child's console set to PG16 / T or lower for content. Obviously if a DLC is M they need to change that, but I know parents that will not allow their children access to M rated content. It's a curious and interesting topic imo.
Quote:

So there's no precedent to suggest that it actually might happen.
Actually there is. Total War is rated T and it had a Rome DLC that was rated M. I'm not sure if there are others but there might be. DLC can submitted for separate ratings in certain cases.

Edit. Sorry for the different quotes mods. I had to revise my first reply and messed up. Posting from my Xbox with Edge 😒
You haven't met germany's USK yet...
Celestis wrote:
Ill be honest this is the first time I have heard of the USK. I know that they banned wolfenstein over nazi symbolism and banned doom because of a secret level it had with nazi symbolism in it. Thats all I know.
Celestis wrote:
Ill be honest this is the first time I have heard of the USK. I know that they banned wolfenstein over nazi symbolism and banned doom because of a secret level it had with nazi symbolism in it. Thats all I know.
Is it really that bad? Jeez...
John9895 wrote:
*snip*
Halo Infinite is rated T for Violence.
*snip*
That is not correct; Halo Infinite has not been rated yet by any classification authority. The rating on that web page is a placeholder. The Xbox page for Infinite has the content rating listed as "Rating Pending."
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/halo-infinite
Both the Store app on Xbox One and the listing on Xbox.com show the game as being rated T for violence, and we know the game's rating would have been released by now were it not for the delay.

I think the visibility of the rating might be an oversight, but T for violence matches up with what we've seen of the game so far. I'm fairly confident this will be the launch rating.

I'm not sure how a DLC would change the rating, either. It didn't for Halo Wars 2, and changing the rating of a game at some point during its lifespan seems problematic.

Remember, a T rating means that younger e-Sports players can participate in official tournaments, which is important.
The T rating was a glitch. If you check their OFFICIAL WEBSITE, it says that Infinite is not even on their site (https://www.esrb.org/search/?searchKeyword=Halo%20Infinite&platform=All%20Platforms&rating=E%2CE10%2B%2CT%2CM%2CAO&descriptor=All%20Content&pg=1&searchType=All). By the way, i think you need to be 18 or older to be in esports. And also, what difference does it make if your game has a different letter on the cover?
you don't have to be 18 to participate in esports it depends on the game fornites is 14 rocket leagues is 16 and so on
Don't worry! It's not blood! It's just oil! And those aren't spines! Those are springs!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4